PDA

View Full Version : High School/football coaches on the board

Todd4State
12-31-2019, 07:33 PM
How many RPO's do y'all have in your offense? It seems like even in the NFL they only really run a few in their packages.

HoopsDawg
12-31-2019, 08:02 PM
I can tell you that in 2017 the Eagles ran the most RPO's in the NFL and it was only 17% of their plays.

I doubt any team in the NFL today runs more than 20% RPO's.

Todd4State
12-31-2019, 08:13 PM
I can tell you that in 2017 the Eagles ran the most RPO's in the NFL and it was only 17% of their plays.

I doubt any team in the NFL today runs more than 20% RPO's.

That seems in line with things I have observed and read. Usually it seems like a RPO with a slant as the pass route or a screen.

Paldridge10
12-31-2019, 08:13 PM
About 7-10% in ours.

Coach34
12-31-2019, 08:16 PM
10%

HoopsDawg
12-31-2019, 08:20 PM
The RPO works best against the zone. Everyone plays us man. The only thing open against good teams are QB runs which a lot of times are on broken plays. Or 50/50 balls that are more like 20/80 balls.

Coach34
12-31-2019, 08:24 PM
RPO's have created more man coverage- which is leading to more QB runs. Better have an athletic QB is you want to keep going RPO

Uncle Ruckus
01-01-2020, 12:01 AM
I coach d, so I don’t know the exact number - but I’d say less than 10%, and we had the #1 passing offense in our classification.

msudawg1200
01-01-2020, 12:13 AM
1 play. We can run it out of many formations, but it’s one play.

Liverpooldawg
01-01-2020, 12:22 AM
1 play. We can run it out of many formations, but it’s one play.

The best HS coach I have ever been around ran about 20 plays...………….out of 10 formations with 10 motion packages for each play. Extreme simplicity disguised to look extremely complex. It worked like gangbusters when he had the talent to make it work. It worked ok when he didn't.

coachnorm
01-01-2020, 01:03 AM
How many RPO's do y'all have in your offense? It seems like even in the NFL they only really run a few in their packages.

I agree with what the other coaches say. Factor that if only a few RPOs exists, in an offense, they may be called often because of defensive alignment. The slot defender's position from the defensive front can be factored which will determine how often the RPO is called. Also just reading the defenders in the box can determine the RPO also. In short, only a few RPOs might exist in the offense yet be called often. One more thing is if the referees call offensive lineman up field could determine if the OC wants to call the play. From coast to coast there are offensive coordinators battleing the referees trying to get away with linemen up field?

JohnHenryBonham
01-01-2020, 07:46 AM

Lol we have high school coaches in Mississippi? Go ask some Texas high school coaches if you want some smart answers.

RiverCityDawg
01-01-2020, 09:29 AM
RPO's have created more man coverage- which is leading to more QB runs. Better have an athletic QB is you want to keep going RPO

Yep, which is why I'm nervous about Will Rogers. Of course, Joe will be gone by the time he should be the QB, so maybe the next guy can can actually tailor the offense to him being more pro-style. Crazy idea, I know.

coachnorm
01-01-2020, 10:59 AM
Lol we have high school coaches in Mississippi? Go ask some Texas high school coaches if you want some smart answers.

I have scouting duties at Southwestern College in the San Diego, CA area. I get out of state HUDL emails assigned to me by my head coach. I have follow ups with local players in the San Diego area. I have coached high school football also. I have the DirecTV sports pac which gives me access to live out of state high school football especially Georgia and Texas football as well as California. In short, I have access to scores of high school football coaches. I attended a Starkville High School football game this year and was impressed with the quality of the passing game. I saw quality that could match upscale national teams. This is accomplished with assets that can not match Mater Dei or St. Jon Bosco in Los Angeles.I would love to attend a Starkville High School Football practice and study their coaching technique.

msudawg1200
01-01-2020, 12:32 PM

Really? That’s what you got out of this? Being a smartsss comparing a state with 29 million people to a state of 3 million people? I’m sure because of that gap they have some better coaches just because of sheer numbers. I’ll tell you this though, my brother and one of my best friends from high school both played high school football in Mississippi, and now live in different parts of Texas and have for about 6-7 years. They both say Texas high school football is way overrated to what they thought it would be, especially when compared to Mississippi. The main advantage they have over Mississippi is numbers(as mentioned) and $$$$$. I mean, Texas is about 10 Mississippi’s. Great response.

OLJWales
01-01-2020, 02:38 PM
This thread is an example of ED Greatness. Great info for folks like me Thanks guys. greatly appreciated.

JWS always said that we've got just as good as CA, TX & FL, we just don't have as many.