PDA

View Full Version : MSU Culture - 1st Post (maybe last)

Dawg of Texas
12-31-2019, 10:50 AM
I?ve heard a lot of talk about Moorhead not being the right fit for Mississippi State. Most of the time, it is associated with him being from the northeast with no real explanation of why that matters. Personally, I don?t think someone?s origin matters as long as they can put their finger on the pulse of the University. We had another guy from the NE that seemed to do that.

My wife and I are both State grads and live in Texas for ?economic? reasons. We proudly wear our MSU gear here in Texas. We love Mississippi and the University. In fact, we both think that Starkville is the one place that truly feels like home. Maybe one day we'll be lucky enough to retire there. When people ask us about moving to Texas, it?s easy to explain that we moved for better jobs and more opportunities, but explaining our love for Mississippi and unconditional love for MSU is more complicated. I mean, it?s Mississippi right?

For most people, Mississippi is an afterthought at best. Mississippi doesn?t have a professional team. The state doesn?t have juggernaut corporations or national attractions to hang its hat on. For so many decades the state has been the stepchild of the country and the butt of jokes. Most years we are near the top in all the wrong things, teen pregnancy, obesity, healthcare, and near the bottom educationally and economically. Hell, a recent study showed that over 40% of college graduates leave the state within five years of graduation (I left after two). We have a history that most of us have moved past and the media can?t seem to exploit enough. To outsiders, there isn?t a lot to be proud of. Which takes me to my next point?

The football program (and anything associated with the University) means more to the people of Mississippi, because it?s personal. Because of everyone?s perception of us, we have a chip on our shoulder. Each time we play a game, it is one of our few chances in the national spotlight for something ?good?. We must capitalize on the opportunity to show the country what we are really about. We must show toughness, integrity, and perseverance. It is our chance to fight back. To prove everyone wrong. Most importantly, to stick it to those who look down on us! The reality is, this state is full of tough, honest, hard-working people looking for something to hang their hat on. It?s not ?poor pitiful me?, it is an ?us against them? mentality. We know who we are, we just want everyone else to see it. We require unshakable determination and intensity and that?s what we expect to display on the field. Our fans AND PLAYERS deserve this level of dedication from the coach. Of course we want to go undefeated, but pride isn?t necessarily just based on the number of W?s and L?s. It?s playing with the right mentality in those W?s and L?s and how we fight throughout the game that matters. Albeit, most people believe that the right mentality on the field would have led to more W?s and a more promising trajectory for the program, but I?ll move on.

Moorhead (or any coach) not being the right fit has nothing to do with where he is from and more to do with understanding where the MSU culture comes from. Telling disappointed fans that the program is his and to shut up and kick rocks, proves he doesn?t get it and that his fervor is misdirected. This program and university is part of all of us. There are reasons why the Egg Bowl rivalry is so intense, and the fans are so passionate about the product they see on the field. Reasons the national media, and apparently Moorhead, don?t understand. He alienated much of the fanbase because he sounded just like the outsiders? looking down their collective noses at us. This culture has been developed over a long, long period of time. Fair or not, any coach that is going to be successful here must understand and embrace the culture. Moorhead doesn?t know how to approach the culture so he attacked it.

I?m going to take a side step here and say I appreciate every player that chose to play at MSU. That includes every player. These young men chose MSU because they saw a home. I believe they have worked hard but have been misguided on what areas matter. Lets not forget that they are all at an age where they require guidance and a leader. They deserve a leader that understands discipline is a form of love because it leads to success and satisfaction in life not just football. So in that sense, I want to apologize to them for not providing the leader that they needed and deserved. In reality, we promised them and their families that the coaches would be father-figures.

I could go on for days. This is just my opinion and I am not claiming to be the spokesman for the MSU fanbase. And sorry this is a bit long-winded.

StateDawg44
12-31-2019, 10:53 AM
1st post downing MSU.... must be a troll***

dantheman4248
12-31-2019, 10:55 AM
It's nothing to do with him being from the NE. Most here know the not the right fit comes down to him being soft as a coach and allowing the "inmates to run the prison." for lack of a better term. He commands 0 respect from
his players. His biggest sin of not going to the Farm is a microcosm of why he is bad as a coach.

Sad as it is to say, when hiring the next coach, I'd have to ask him first if he believes in that type of practice. I didn't know there were guys who existed as football coaches that didn't but apparently they do.

RougeDawg
12-31-2019, 10:56 AM
Great spot on post! Post more!

Cowbell
12-31-2019, 11:01 AM
I?ve heard a lot of talk about Moorhead not being the right fit for Mississippi State. Most of the time, it is associated with him being from the northeast with no real explanation of why that matters. Personally, I don?t think someone?s origin matters as long as they can put their finger on the pulse of the University. We had another guy from the NE that seemed to do that.

My wife and I are both State grads and live in Texas for ?economic? reasons. We proudly wear our MSU gear here in Texas. We love Mississippi and the University. In fact, we both think that Starkville is the one place that truly feels like home. Maybe one day we'll be lucky enough to retire there. When people ask us about moving to Texas, it?s easy to explain that we moved for better jobs and more opportunities, but explaining our love for Mississippi and unconditional love for MSU is more complicated. I mean, it?s Mississippi right?

For most people, Mississippi is an afterthought at best. Mississippi doesn?t have a professional team. The state doesn?t have juggernaut corporations or national attractions to hang its hat on. For so many decades the state has been the stepchild of the country and the butt of jokes. Most years we are near the top in all the wrong things, teen pregnancy, obesity, healthcare, and near the bottom educationally and economically. Hell, a recent study showed that over 40% of college graduates leave the state within five years of graduation (I left after two). We have a history that most of us have moved past and the media can?t seem to exploit enough. To outsiders, there isn?t a lot to be proud of. Which takes me to my next point?

The football program (and anything associated with the University) means more to the people of Mississippi, because it?s personal. Because of everyone?s perception of us, we have a chip on our shoulder. Each time we play a game, it is one of our few chances in the national spotlight for something ?good?. We must capitalize on the opportunity to show the country what we are really about. We must show toughness, integrity, and perseverance. It is our chance to fight back. To prove everyone wrong. Most importantly, to stick it to those who look down on us! The reality is, this state is full of tough, honest, hard-working people looking for something to hang their hat on. It?s not ?poor pitiful me?, it is an ?us against them? mentality. We know who we are, we just want everyone else to see it. We require unshakable determination and intensity and that?s what we expect to display on the field. Our fans AND PLAYERS deserve this level of dedication from the coach. Of course we want to go undefeated, but pride isn?t necessarily just based on the number of W?s and L?s. It?s playing with the right mentality in those W?s and L?s and how we fight throughout the game that matters. Albeit, most people believe that the right mentality on the field would have led to more W?s and a more promising trajectory for the program, but I?ll move on.

Moorhead (or any coach) not being the right fit has nothing to do with where he is from and more to do with understanding where the MSU culture comes from. Telling disappointed fans that the program is his and to shut up and kick rocks, proves he doesn?t get it and that his fervor is misdirected. This program and university is part of all of us. There are reasons why the Egg Bowl rivalry is so intense, and the fans are so passionate about the product they see on the field. Reasons the national media, and apparently Moorhead, don?t understand. He alienated much of the fanbase because he sounded just like the outsiders? looking down their collective noses at us. This culture has been developed over a long, long period of time. Fair or not, any coach that is going to be successful here must understand and embrace the culture. Moorhead doesn?t know how to approach the culture so he attacked it.

I?m going to take a side step here and say I appreciate every player that chose to play at MSU. That includes every player. These young men chose MSU because they saw a home. I believe they have worked hard but have been misguided on what areas matter. Lets not forget that they are all at an age where they require guidance and a leader. They deserve a leader that understands discipline is a form of love because it leads to success and satisfaction in life not just football. So in that sense, I want to apologize to them for not providing the leader that they needed and deserved. In reality, we promised them and their families that the coaches would be father-figures.

I could go on for days. This is just my opinion and I am not claiming to be the spokesman for the MSU fanbase. And sorry this is a bit long-winded.

Great Post - couldn't have said it better myself. Have the same thoughts as you as I'm a Texas resident now for the same reasons (hour north of Dallas). MS will always be home.

MrKotter
12-31-2019, 11:04 AM

This is complete BS and you know it. You know damn good and well those that want him gone is because he sucks. Nice attempt at trying to turn this into something it's not. Are you trying to make yourself feel great by showing everyone how tolerable you are? He sucks, not because of his birthplace, but because he sucks.

redstickdawg
1st post downing MSU.... must be a troll***

Totally disagree this was a spot on post inthe OP, keep it going sums up what a lot of us feel and live.

Rex54
That dumb mother****er told us to kick rocks and then proceeded to get flat out embarrassed. He's gone. He won't coach another game here. Book it.

Coursesuper
12-31-2019, 11:06 AM
That was a fantastic first post.

msudawg1200
12-31-2019, 11:12 AM
That dumb mother****er told us to kick rocks and then proceeded to get flat out embarrassed. He's gone. He won't coach another game here. Book it.

You know, after he acted like that and then to get embarrassed like he did should tell our administration he has to go. I mean, he pretty much was rubbing it in all State fans face after the Egg. That guy needs to go. Yesterday.

NaborhoodDawg
12-31-2019, 11:25 AM
I agree. This has nothing to do with what part of the country that he is from. It has everything to do with him being lax and letting the players do whatever the hell they want to do. There is absolutely ZERO discipline enforcement from Joe Moorehead and it shows on and off the field. He has ruined the culture that Dan Mullen built here and it is sad. As I said in the thread I made, you don’t see other employees or players calling out the fan base who pays the bills and pays to support them like this team and others have under Joe. It’s a culture that starts with him and it is a falsely arrogant one. He hasn’t earned the right to say shit to or about our fans and until he does, he can kick rocks.

Rex54
12-31-2019, 11:41 AM
I agree. This has nothing to do with what part of the country that he is from. It has everything to do with him being lax and letting the players do whatever the hell they want to do. There is absolutely ZERO discipline enforcement from Joe Moorehead and it shows on and off the field. He has ruined the culture that Dan Mullen built here and it is sad. As I said in the thread I made, you don’t see other employees or players calling out the fan base who pays the bills and pays to support them like this team and others have under Joe. It’s a culture that starts with him and it is a falsely arrogant one. He hasn’t earned the right to say shit to or about our fans and until he does, he can kick rocks.

Well, it does have a little to do with the part of the country he's from in that he doesn't understand the type of discipline and accountability needed here as compared to a Fordham.

gravedigger
12-31-2019, 12:59 PM

Perhaps we should put in the next coaches contract that he cannot, under any circumstances, hurt our fans feelings.

chef dixon
12-31-2019, 01:10 PM
I'm impressed you typed that entire thing on your iPhone

StateDawg44
12-31-2019, 01:32 PM
Totally disagree this was a spot on post inthe OP, keep it going sums up what a lot of us feel and live.

Dude, it was a joke. Hence the **** at the end.

I agree with his take also. I just saved some idiot the trouble of trying to go there.