PDA

View Full Version : One thing I hate for many MSU fans right now.

R2Dawg
12-30-2019, 08:35 PM
The students time at MSU is not going to have many good memories. My daughter is there and this football season was a real downer for her and her friends. The football program is so important to the overall college experience.

I remember mine finishing up when JWS was starting and the energy on campus was incredible. It probably shouldn't make that much difference but the reality it does.

The only thing that would equal where we are now is if we had kept Croom after 45-0. When you don't have any hope, you really don't have anything. Joe is hopeless. MSU leadership must act to keep MSU positive. That is what Olemiss did.

WAH662
12-30-2019, 10:15 PM
My entire college experience, regarding MSU football, was defined by two words: Sylvester Croom.

And so, even though I can't stand slowmo, my tears are of the alligator type.:(

Cowbell
12-30-2019, 10:19 PM
My entire college experience, regarding MSU football, was defined by two words: Sylvester Croom.

Right there with you! I think this is worse however.

BrunswickDawg
12-30-2019, 10:44 PM
My daughter is a Junior. When I dropped her on campus in the fall of 2017 I said "go to as many sporting events as you can and enjoy them - you are here in the golden age of MSU sports and you don't know how long it will last". I had no idea it would go to shit in football this quickly.

WAH662
12-30-2019, 10:44 PM
Eh, I dunno about "worse," because by year 4 the entire campus was aloof and couldn't care less about a football game. Jokes were made in classrooms by professors and students about the upcoming game and its irrelevance.

But in a way, because of slowmo's arrogance and our recent climb out of the SEC gutter and into sustained success, the present is more like a heroine addict coming off of a high only to find out his dealer was shot and killed tonight.

If you enter Davis Wade on the west side, you might possibly see my immediate family's name over one of the entrances. Even though I personally am not anybody special (and gladly so), I say that to qualify how maroon my blood is and the hard times I've seen and lived as a State fan...and yet I've NEVER seen the fanbase so galvanized.

So long story long, I agree in part: The recent taste of success coupled with the arrogance and absolute ignorance of this coach and administration makes this time around a little harder of a pill to swallow.

GTHJM

GreenheadDawg
12-30-2019, 10:53 PM

That makes 2 of us. But watching Moorhead coach gives me flashbacks to when I was a student. Moorhead may even be worse.

Todd4State
12-30-2019, 10:59 PM
I was at MSU from 1996-1999 football season wise. It was mostly awesome. The funny thing about that was high school day my senior year in 1995 was when we were upset by Northeast Louisiana. My Mom made me sit and watch NELU celebrate so that I would "know what it was going to be like when I was at MSU". Of course we went 10-2 my senior year, won the SEC West my junior year, beat Ole Miss (including the pass, tip, pick, and kick) and Auburn, and Alabama three times. We got blown out a few times but other than losing to La Tech and the 1997 Egg Bowl it was about as good a time to be at MSU for a football fan.

msbulldog
12-30-2019, 11:05 PM
I was at MSU from 1996-1999 football season wise. It was mostly awesome. The funny thing about that was high school day my senior year in 1995 was when we were upset by Northeast Louisiana. My Mom made me sit and watch NELU celebrate so that I would "know what it was going to be like when I was at MSU". Of course we went 10-2 my senior year, won the SEC West my junior year, beat Ole Miss (including the pass, tip, pick, and kick) and Auburn, and Alabama three times. We got blown out a few times but other than losing to La Tech and the 1997 Egg Bowl it was about as good a time to be at MSU for a football fan.

I hope your Mom got to see some of those good seasons.

msbulldog
12-30-2019, 11:07 PM
I was a freshman in 1973, the start of the Bob Tyler era, and the Rocky Felker years. so I got started with some good football.

Liverpooldawg
12-30-2019, 11:56 PM
The students time at MSU is not going to have many good memories. My daughter is there and this football season was a real downer for her and her friends. The football program is so important to the overall college experience.

I remember mine finishing up when JWS was starting and the energy on campus was incredible. It probably shouldn't make that much difference but the reality it does.

The only thing that would equal where we are now is if we had kept Croom after 45-0. When you don't have any hope, you really don't have anything. Joe is hopeless. MSU leadership must act to keep MSU positive. That is what Olemiss did.

I was there as Emory was failing. I was at UMC while Rocky was here. We beat Ole Miss twice in those 8 years and had ONE winning season, my first one at MSU. We went to ONE bowl, also my first year. This is fantastic now.

Todd4State
12-30-2019, 11:58 PM
I hope your Mom got to see some of those good seasons.

She did! The best part was reminding her of that conversation when I had to go to the SEC Championship and the Cotton and Peach Bowls with the band.

I love my Mom but her foresight is not her strong suit.

Todd4State
12-31-2019, 12:01 AM
I was a freshman in 1973, the start of the Bob Tyler era, and the Rocky Felker years. so I got started with some good football.

1976 is easily the most underrated MSU football team and season ever. The 1974 team was landmark for us because that was the year we turned it around IMO and left the 60's mostly behind.