PDA

View Full Version : If you are Jerry Jones

Cowbell
12-30-2019, 09:28 AM
Assuming he let's go of Garrett(Garrett is still HC as he is about to be live on our local radio here in Dallas), who is your first call?

Call me crazy, but I call Saban and I make him turn me down. He has to be getting bored with Bama fans and there has to be a little fire to fix his NFL reputation.

Quaoarsking
12-30-2019, 09:33 AM
Greg Roman.

Everyone thought Colin Kaepernick and Lamar Jackson could never win in the NFL, but under Greg Roman, they did. Imagine what he could do with Dak.

ScoobaDawg
12-30-2019, 09:34 AM
I read an article saying the normal names.. Except one new for me...
So 1)Urban Meyer
2)Riley at OU
And then 3) Josh McDaniels

Can urban work in the NFL? He's a master recruiter and motivator for college players. That might not translate to the NFL. And would he finally be able to relax enough not to cause further brain issues.. Because he will lose games in the NFL no matter what..
2) Lincoln. Big game Bob part 2? Can't win the big games...

Also urban would want gm control I think.. Something being rumored if he goes to Washington.

Coach34
12-30-2019, 09:35 AM
Urban Meyer as HC

Dan Mullen as OC....tell Mullen when Urban's headaches start again- he will become HC

Cowbell
12-30-2019, 09:41 AM
I don't get the Riley love - I get he's done well at OU but it's not like he had to build that from scratch and he has 0 nfl experience to my knowledge

msstate7
12-30-2019, 09:42 AM
Greg Roman.

Everyone thought Colin Kaepernick and Lamar Jackson could never win in the NFL, but under Greg Roman, they did. Imagine what he could do with Dak.

Not bad. I still think I'd go get Rivera. He's a good coach

mparkerfd20
12-30-2019, 09:45 AM
If I'm Jerry Jones I make Sean Payton turn down the biggest offer of his life. Drew doesn't have many years left and he won't want to rebuild there. He wouldn't have to at Dallas.

Cooterpoot
12-30-2019, 09:48 AM
My first call would be hire a GM, so I could finally look like an intelligent owner that gives a shit.

Rex54
12-30-2019, 09:50 AM
Call Nick Saban and Sean Payton offer them both 11 Mil a year first one to accept gets the job.

msstate7
12-30-2019, 09:52 AM
If I'm Jerry Jones I make Sean Payton turn down the biggest offer of his life. Drew doesn't have many years left and he won't want to rebuild there. He wouldn't have to at Dallas.

Sean just signed an extension. You can't just take an nfl coach; they could dish out some 1st round picks to trade for him

Coach34
12-30-2019, 09:56 AM

Rivera is supposed to be the new Redskin HC today or tomorrow

msstate7
12-30-2019, 10:08 AM

Then the cowboys better make a good hire bc the redskins are

ShotgunDawg
12-30-2019, 10:38 AM

Rivera would've been a great choice, but it looks like he's taking the Redskins job. I don't understand it from his perspective

ShotgunDawg
12-30-2019, 10:39 AM
I'm interested in what Matt Rhule could do for Dallas.

Cowbell
12-30-2019, 10:40 AM
I'm interested in what Matt Rhule could do for Dallas.

Same here

ShotgunDawg
12-30-2019, 10:45 AM
Jerry has a tough task because unlike all the other openings, he's not replacing a bad coach on a bad team.

As much of a bad rap as Jason Garrett gets, he's a pretty good coach & the Cowboys were never bad with him. I bet he gets another head coaching job, maybe New York or the Browns, pretty quickly.

I'm all for letting Garrett go because I think after 10 years, unless the coach is competing for Super Bowls, a new message is likely needed in the building, but Jerry has the task of replacing a good coach with someone that takes them to the next level. As John Cohen found out, that is often more difficult than just finding a guy that can take the team from bad to average

ShotgunDawg
12-30-2019, 10:47 AM
Also, I think Mullen could be a sneaky good hire. Mullen is absolutely a better coach than Garrett & knows how to adapt his scheme to the talent.

I don't know if Mullen is a Super Bowl caliber coach, but he'd damn sure have the Cowboys at 10-6 or so every year

ScoobaDawg
12-30-2019, 10:49 AM
Also, I think Mullen could be a sneaky good hire. Mullen is absolutely a better coach than Garrett & knows how to adapt his scheme to the talent.

I don't know if Mullen is a Super Bowl caliber coach, but he'd damn sure have the Cowboys at 10-6 or so every year

Well he wouldn't have to recruit.. so there is that.
But no.. I don't think Dan would be successful in the NFL.

ShotgunDawg
12-30-2019, 10:50 AM
Well he wouldn't have to recruit.. so there is that.
But no.. I don't think Dan would be successful in the NFL.

Why?

ScoobaDawg
12-30-2019, 10:59 AM
Why?

His system. Spread is starting to work more in the NFL but Dak's not going to go back to 10 rushes a game.

Plus I don't know if he can work with all the egos of the pros.
Who knows. Maybe he gets the chance one day...if he wants it.

msstate7
12-30-2019, 11:03 AM
His system. Spread is starting to work more in the NFL but Dak's not going to go back to 10 rushes a game.

Trask didn't run 10 times a game this season. No idea if Mullen would be a good nfl coach, but he can and will change his offense to fit a team's talent

Randolph Dupree
12-30-2019, 11:10 AM
There is a better chance of Dak landing in NOLA than there is of Sean heading to Dallas. Payton has too much equity built in NOLA and basically has control or heavy input into every decision. It would be shocking if he left.

As far as Mullen to the NFL goes, I think it would work. Dan can adjust his scheme accordingly and I think he has shown that to a degree, and given the right players I think he will adjust it even more. He is a poor recruiter but a great evaluator of talent. In the NFL you don't recruit, you evaluate talent. His ego is huge but so are some of the best coaches in NFL history (think Parcells etc. note that I'm NOT comparing him to Parcells just saying coaches with egos can be successful). IMO I think he lines up very well for the NFL and it would just boil down to how much he can adapt his scheme to not get his QB killed.

Bubb Rubb
12-30-2019, 11:18 AM
Assuming he let's go of Garrett(Garrett is still HC as he is about to be live on our local radio here in Dallas), who is your first call?

Call me crazy, but I call Saban and I make him turn me down. He has to be getting bored with Bama fans and there has to be a little fire to fix his NFL reputation.

His first decision should be to go out and hire a sharp football guy to run his organization and get his fingers out of it.

Then that guy should go get an established, successful coach. Ron Rivera would have been perfect, but he's going to Washington.

parabrave
12-30-2019, 11:45 AM

Rivera gone to DC. I would go get Dennis Allen, Saints DC. It wouldn't matter if the new guy is an Off minded coach since JJ determines the playcalling. Payton is basically the GM/Coach with Mickey running the finance part of the Org. He isn't giving that up. But I would get Joe Lombardi as an OC.

msbulldog
12-30-2019, 11:55 AM
Coaches like Payton or Meyer would never go to Dallas, Jones meddles too much.

RougeDawg
12-30-2019, 12:35 PM

The pro athletes making more than he does may change his attitude.

Saw where Jerry recently commented that changes would be made, and he would make some changes himself. Add in the recent comments the last few weeks from Troy Aikman hinting that Dallas needed a true GM and recent success of former players as GM. Sounds like Troy has been in Jerry?s ear, jockeying for that gig.

Indndawg
12-30-2019, 12:54 PM
1-Erving Meyers for HC

2) Dom Merkins for OC/QB coach

Goldendawg
12-30-2019, 01:17 PM
I think Jones also hurt the "team" when he gave Elliot $90 mil extension with two years left on his contrack when he stayed on the beach until about the 1st regular season game. Should have paid Dak and Cooper first.

NCDawg
12-30-2019, 01:19 PM
There is a better chance of Dak landing in NOLA than there is of Sean heading to Dallas. Payton has too much equity built in NOLA and basically has control or heavy input into every decision. It would be shocking if he left.

As far as Mullen to the NFL goes, I think it would work. Dan can adjust his scheme accordingly and I think he has shown that to a degree, and given the right players I think he will adjust it even more. He is a poor recruiter but a great evaluator of talent. In the NFL you don't recruit, you evaluate talent. His ego is huge but so are some of the best coaches in NFL history (think Parcells etc. note that I'm NOT comparing him to Parcells just saying coaches with egos can be successful). IMO I think he lines up very well for the NFL and it would just boil down to how much he can adapt his scheme to not get his QB killed.

I agree and think Mullen would be a good choice. I didn't like him personally, but he is a good coach and, as you say, he wouldn't have to recruit. It would be interesting to see him reunited with Dak.

Goldendawg
12-30-2019, 01:21 PM
I don't get the Riley love - I get he's done well at OU but it's not like he had to build that from scratch and he has 0 nfl experience to my knowledge

Big 12, no defense league. Riley's team sure looked good against LSU.

BulldogDX55
12-30-2019, 01:23 PM
According to the Cowboys subreddit, Garrett has a meeting with Jerry and Stephen after the noon players meeting.

Word is that he won't be fired, he just won't be renewed and this is the last year on his contract so it's functionally the same thing.

Goldendawg
12-30-2019, 01:25 PM

But, could Mullen recruit at Dallas and would they have room for Hev and Gonzo on the staff?***

OLJWales
12-30-2019, 01:29 PM
Until Jones releases control of GM Position, none of this matters.

MetEdDawg
12-30-2019, 01:56 PM
Some folks are saying reports are that the entire staff may be fired. Like literally everyone on field.

That's not been confirmed yet but some reporters are saying they've spoken to a few coaches and that everyone is getting let go.

Not sure how true but that's what I've seen popping up on Twitter.

Dawgbite
12-30-2019, 01:59 PM
If I'm Jerry Jones, I tell Steven to hire a good coach before I get back. I then go down to the Cheerleaders dressing room and ask "who wants to see my new boat"!

Coursesuper
12-30-2019, 02:10 PM
Entire staff fired by Jerry

MedDawg
12-30-2019, 02:14 PM

The NFL sure does recycle coaches a lot. Some head coaches get fired and rehired four or five times. I guess they'd rather go with known coaches than take chances with new ones.

NCDawg
12-30-2019, 02:19 PM
The NFL sure does recycle coaches a lot. Some head coaches get fired and rehired four or five times. I guess they'd rather go with known coaches than take chances with new ones.

Yes, it seems like no matter how bad a HC in the NFL performs, another NFL team will hire him.. Like it's an NFL fraternity.