PDA

View Full Version : GaTech Student project: Stadium of the future

Political Hack
10-30-2013, 06:37 PM
http://grantfield100.gatech.edu/

I used to think it was wrong for UGA fans to call them nerds...

TheRef
10-30-2013, 06:41 PM
Just when you think you've seen it all....

starkvegasdawg
10-30-2013, 07:01 PM
It's a giant waffle cone.

hacker
10-30-2013, 07:04 PM
those renderings are horrible. I can't even tell if they're good ideas or not because the gfx are so shitty.

Todd4State
10-30-2013, 07:50 PM
So, these are the people that designed the Hunter Henry Center?**

HereComesTheSpiral
10-30-2013, 07:52 PM
What the hell

bgdog
10-30-2013, 08:29 PM
so when that's built we will have the oldest stadium in college football? Order the banners**

whosyourdawgy
10-31-2013, 06:35 AM
I hope they all got failing grades for those future designs. Those are godawful!!

smootness
10-31-2013, 08:08 AM
those renderings are horrible. I can't even tell if they're good ideas or not because the gfx are so shitty.

You didn't read the ones that just assume in the future we will have the technology for atomization and to lift a stadium off the ground?

Pretty fantastic ideas. Mine would have been to shoot the stadium to the outer reaches of the galaxy, with future technology of course, and allow GT to play against an alien race.

No way that doesn't win, cause it's so innovative!

Political Hack
10-31-2013, 08:51 AM
I would've created an invisibility capability so no one could see them lose, ever again.

Maroonthirteen
10-31-2013, 09:06 AM
Any school on the level of GaTech, building a totally new stadium in the future, needs to built something with 60-70% luxury seating. Luxury boxes, club seating, loge seating and etc. TV and ticket prices are going to continue to decrease the average joe attending a game. Also, college football has been around long enough that future fans will know which school can compete for titles and which ones are strictly for entertainment and scholarships for athletes. GaTech falls in the latter. Therefore, they would be foolish to build something like the hive or molecule. They will need corporations to buy tickets and give tickets to employees, customers and etc and give those people a comfortable seat with food and drink.

Political Hack
10-31-2013, 09:19 AM
Any school on the level of GaTech, building a totally new stadium in the future, needs to built something with 60-70% luxury seating. Luxury boxes, club seating, loge seating and etc. TV and ticket prices are going to continue to decrease the average joe attending a game. Also, college football has been around long enough that future fans will know which school can compete for titles and which ones are strictly for entertainment and scholarships for athletes. GaTech falls in the latter. Therefore, they would be foolish to build something like the hive or molecule. They will need corporations to buy tickets and give tickets to employees, customers and etc and give those people a comfortable seat with food and drink.

unfortunately that's the direction that colleges seem to be going. pretty soon people will back out and start going back to the local high school games like they used to. At a certain point there's going to be deminishing returns, and unfortunately the administrators of today care more about selling out than they do about the actual number of butts in seats. When we stop looking at a bottom lines and start looking at how to create the most electric atmosphere in college football, the program will reach a new level and the result will be that we never have to worry about money again.

Maroonthirteen
10-31-2013, 10:04 AM
Co-worker invited me to the Memphis football game. He has big tailgate and etc. etc. It was dead there last night. He said there wasn't a third of the people that have been at games. He usually has 40 people at his tailgate. There was about 10 last night. SOme of which left before kickoff to get their kids back home and watch the game on TV.

Also, just FYI, Memphis trotted out some family to present a gift (sponsored by...) every timeout during the 1st half. I didn't notice any blaring car dealership commercials on their video board. But I did notice a total absence of your typical college football type atmosphere from back in the day. I believe I can count on one hand the number of times i heard their fight song played by the band. Anyway.....not trying to hijack the thread.

Yeah, all that to say, college football has gone corporate and will continue to go that direction.

FlabLoser
10-31-2013, 10:08 AM
I saw this happen to professional football and ice hockey in the 90's. They quit catering to average fans and started selling out to corporates.

Reunion Arena which preceded the American Airlines Center in Dallas was beyond awesome for basketball and hockey. 17,000+ fans all fairly close to the action. No suites. No crazy video board. Music was good. Fans were loud loud loud mayne.

Then they built American Airlines Center. It seated a more people and had multiple levels of suites. The new building was huge but there aren't enough additional fans to keep the crowd noise up. Most seats are far away from the action. The upper deck is very high and very steep. Your knees are up against the seat in front of you. A fan can't walk down an isle without everybody standing up for him to squeeze by. Prices went WAY up. I quit going. It was shiny and new, but the experience was dead.

I saw a few cowboy games. Most tickets I had were given to me or a friend by a big company. They were great seats. I didn't know of any individuals who had season tickets.

I feared this would happen to college sports and its gradually happening now.

hacker
10-31-2013, 11:11 AM
You didn't read the ones that just assume in the future we will have the technology for atomization and to lift a stadium off the ground?

Pretty fantastic ideas. Mine would have been to shoot the stadium to the outer reaches of the galaxy, with future technology of course, and allow GT to play against an alien race.

No way that doesn't win, cause it's so innovative!

hahaha +1

archdog
10-31-2013, 11:20 AM
Wow, basic understanding of the way the game is played was lost on these "designers". Not really sure how the one that looks like people in a pod will be able to work considering the number of people in the stands looks like a southern miss game.

Architecture school is stupid because the professors think that thinking way outside of the box is useful. For everything. It is on a small scale, like solving a material or programmatic problem. It is not when you are talking about large scale decisions. The best facilities pay attention to real life realities like entry sequence, exterior amenities, gravity, how the human body works (ie sight lines for comfortable viewing of the game....Dudy Noble Field).

These students will not even be able to work a correct floor plan when they get out of school, but they can design a building that floats by a future technology. Thank you Architecture Professor. That reminds me to never hire a GA Tech Grad.

Political Hack
10-31-2013, 11:26 AM
I had never been but they say when the Skins moved out of JFK it killed the franchise. Great new stadium, but it wasn't rockin' anymore. I've been to club level in FedEx and sat in the "not so cheap seats" and I actually enjoyed the venue more than the game. I don't think I saw more than 15 plays. We hung out at a bar.

smootness
10-31-2013, 12:14 PM
Wow, basic understanding of the way the game is played was lost on these "designers". Not really sure how the one that looks like people in a pod will be able to work considering the number of people in the stands looks like a southern miss game.

Architecture school is stupid because the professors think that thinking way outside of the box is useful. For everything. It is on a small scale, like solving a material or programmatic problem. It is not when you are talking about large scale decisions. The best facilities pay attention to real life realities like entry sequence, exterior amenities, gravity, how the human body works (ie sight lines for comfortable viewing of the game....Dudy Noble Field).

These students will not even be able to work a correct floor plan when they get out of school, but they can design a building that floats by a future technology. Thank you Architecture Professor. That reminds me to never hire a GA Tech Grad.

Reading this thrown in was hilarious to me.

What you apparently didn't realize, however, is that Georgia Tech is on the brink of eradicating gravity! Apparently in the future football stadiums can float but the rest of downtown Atlanta is literally exactly the same.

Why not just say that footprints no longer matter because each individual building can be sent to an alternate reality, one where money is also no object and people can zap their way into any building in any dimension in the universe in a nanosecond...so GT can build a 16 million seat stadium where anyone in the galaxy can appear if they want, and then, you can reduce the size of the stadium at a moment's notice based upon the number of people who actually zapped their way into the stadium?

I mean, it's the future! Literally everything will be possible!

hacker
10-31-2013, 12:29 PM
I want to zap places.