PDA

View Full Version : Just for fun... re: expanded CFP....

TUSK
12-28-2019, 08:17 PM
Since there's been some interest in expansion here...

Seeding based on final CFP Committee Poll... and my opinion on W/Ls...

1 LSU vs 16 Iowa
8 Wisky vs 9 Florida

4 Oklahoma vs 13 Alabama
5 UGA vs 12 Auburn

6 Oregon vs 11 Utah
3 Clemson vs 14 Michigan

7 Baylor vs 10 PSU
2 Ohio St. vs 15 Notre Dame

My final four would be:
13 Bammer vs 1 LSU
2 Ohio St. vs 2 Clemson

thoughts?

coastratdog
12-28-2019, 08:40 PM
Dream on. Not without Tau.

Quaoarsking
12-28-2019, 08:49 PM
If you're going to have 16 teams, there would probably be autobids for all 10 conferences, so something like:

1 LSU vs 16 Miami (OH)
8 Wisconsin vs 9 Florida

4 Oklahoma vs 13 Boise State
5 Georgia vs 12 Memphis

6 Oregon vs 11 Utah
3 Clemson vs 14 Appalachian State

7 Baylor vs 10 Penn State
2 Ohio State vs 15 Florida Atlantic

Also, with all of this, there would be no real reason to play conference championship games, so we'd probably actually be looking at something like this. (Remember all the CCGs didn't happen):

1 Ohio State vs 16 Miami (OH)
8 Wisconsin vs 9 Florida

4 Georgia vs 13 Boise State
5 Utah vs 12 Memphis

6 Oklahoma vs 11 Auburn

2 LSU vs 15 Florida Atlantic

All of these assume the Committee makes the same rankings, which they may not. Like they put 9-3 Auburn ahead of 10-2 Oregon the week before the CCGs, but if they were actually final rankings and were the difference in making or not making the playoffs, they might give the nod to Oregon. It also assumes the Committee doesn't manipulate the rankings to avoid rematches and/or just make better matchups.

TUSK
12-28-2019, 08:57 PM
Dream on. Not without Tau.

lol....eh kay...

TUSK
12-28-2019, 09:01 PM
If you're going to have 16 teams, there would probably be autobids for all 10 conferences, so something like:

1 LSU vs 16 Miami (OH)
8 Wisconsin vs 9 Florida

5 Georgia vs 12 Memphis

6 Oregon vs 11 Utah

Also, with all of this, there would be no real reason to play conference championship games, so we'd probably actually be looking at something like this. (Remember all the CCGs didn't happen):

8 Wisconsin vs 9 Florida

5 Utah vs 12 Memphis

6 Oklahoma vs 11 Auburn

All of these assume the Committee makes the same rankings, which they may not. Like they put 9-3 Auburn ahead of 10-2 Oregon the week before the CCGs, but if they were actually final rankings and were the difference in making or not making the playoffs, they might give the nod to Oregon. It also assumes the Committee doesn't manipulate the rankings to avoid rematches and/or just make better matchups.

I could see them doing autobids for P5... but for all the conferences would be guh ross.

ShotgunDawg
12-28-2019, 09:02 PM

1 LSU vs 16 Miami (OH)
8 Wisconsin vs 9 Florida

5 Georgia vs 12 Memphis

6 Oregon vs 11 Utah

8 Wisconsin vs 9 Florida

5 Utah vs 12 Memphis

6 Oklahoma vs 11 Auburn

Yuck!!!!

Absolutely no auto bids. No shot that App State and Fau deserve a shot over Florida

Coursesuper
12-28-2019, 09:02 PM
It's all crap until it's a minimum of 16 teams. Mike Leach is right!

Quaoarsking
12-28-2019, 09:08 PM
Yuck!!!!

Absolutely no auto bids. No shot that App State and Fau deserve a shot over Florida

Why not? Literally every other NCAA sport, including the lower levels of football, gives autobids to every conference. It's a reward for the top teams and extra motivation to keep playing hard and get that 1 seed.

Like LSU could have coast the last few weeks of the season and still get into the playoffs, but if they keep playing at a high level, they get rewarded with a much easier first round opponent than the #8 seed gets.

And App State went 12-1 with wins over North Carolina and South Carolina (a team who beat Georgia), so it's not like they're an awful choice for a 16-team playoff even without autobids.

TUSK
12-28-2019, 09:24 PM
Why not? Literally every other NCAA sport, including the lower levels of football, gives autobids to every conference. It's a reward for the top teams and extra motivation to keep playing hard and get that 1 seed.

Like LSU could have coast the last few weeks of the season and still get into the playoffs, but if they keep playing at a high level, they get rewarded with a much easier first round opponent than the #8 seed gets.

And App State went 12-1 with wins over North Carolina and South Carolina (a team who beat Georgia), so it's not like they're an awful choice for a 16-team playoff even without autobids.

I get your point, I'd just hate to see an 11-1 team in a super tough division with a close loss to a great team potentially get slighted by a crappy team from a crappy conference...

JMO, though...

Hot Rock
12-29-2019, 09:15 AM
Since there's been some interest in expansion here...

Seeding based on final CFP Committee Poll... and my opinion on W/Ls...

1 LSU vs 16 Iowa
8 Wisky vs 9 Florida

4 Oklahoma vs 13 Alabama
5 UGA vs 12 Auburn

6 Oregon vs 11 Utah
3 Clemson vs 14 Michigan

7 Baylor vs 10 PSU
2 Ohio St. vs 15 Notre Dame

My final four would be:
13 Bammer vs 1 LSU
2 Ohio St. vs 2 Clemson

thoughts?

Was there a way to limit it to 3 teams because... There were only three teams worthy this year. Just three... no one else earned their way. I cannot see how anyone would want such a thing after watching LSU stomp OK.

Some would say but Bama gave a better game...... They lost, that was the playoff game. The regular season should mean something and people that want expansions want to see the Giants beat the Patriots... I don't... i want the best teams during whole season to be playing for the title, not the team that gets hot at the end.

Quaoarsking
12-29-2019, 10:25 AM
Was there a way to limit it to 3 teams because... There were only three teams worthy this year. Just three... no one else earned their way. I cannot see how anyone would want such a thing after watching LSU stomp OK.

Some would say but Bama gave a better game...... They lost, that was the playoff game. The regular season should mean something and people that want expansions want to see the Giants beat the Patriots... I don't... i want the best teams during whole season to be playing for the title, not the team that gets hot at the end.

Most years there's not a clear 3 at the top with clear separation though. I think we all agree that whether the format was 6, 8, 12, 16, 32, etc., teams that LSU, Clemson, and Ohio State surely make it to the final 4, but most years it's a lot more ambiguous who deserves it and who is the best.

OLJWales
12-29-2019, 12:32 PM
16 would dilute the best regular season in all of sports. Would y'all actually like a late season match up between 2 top 10 teams where the loser gets to walk of the field reminding everyone that we will have another shot in a few weeks on a neutral field? These types of late season games need to keep the "do or die" part intact. Keep the natty parts in place for the regular season. it's what makes the college football season so special.

I think the best option would be for 1-4 host 5-8 at home fields then let the final 4 duke it out in the bowl games which would also place home field rewards to those who win those classic regular season games. In this scenario, MSU may have gotten in with an egg bowl win that year Mullen , (again) Mullened the egg bowl.

dantheman4248
12-29-2019, 12:43 PM
Keep it to 8. With P5 Conf Champ it makes it 13 already. Autobids for P5 Champion. G5 can qualify uf undefeated with 3 P5 wins. If not, then 3 P5 at larges. Simple and keeps there from being major major blowouts.

OLJWales
12-29-2019, 02:17 PM
Keep it to 8. With P5 Conf Champ it makes it 13 already. Autobids for P5 Champion. G5 can qualify uf undefeated with 3 P5 wins. If not, then 3 P5 at larges. Simple and keeps there from being major major blowouts.

not a bad idea. having # 1 playing # 16 would be flat out ridiculous. the bottom 4 would all prolly have a hiccup on their resume so maybe not make it so tough on a G5 champ getting in? I'm all for the best 8 getting in if possible while ignoring conference affiliation.

Lance Harbor
12-29-2019, 05:51 PM
No. 16 minimum.

16 would dilute the best regular season in all of sports. Would y'all actually like a late season match up between 2 top 10 teams where the loser gets to walk of the field reminding everyone that we will have another shot in a few weeks on a neutral field? These types of late season games need to keep the "do or die" part intact. Keep the natty parts in place for the regular season. it's what makes the college football season so special.

I think the best option would be for 1-4 host 5-8 at home fields then let the final 4 duke it out in the bowl games which would also place home field rewards to those who win those classic regular season games. In this scenario, MSU may have gotten in with an egg bowl win that year Mullen , (again) Mullened the egg bowl.

OLJWales
12-29-2019, 06:07 PM
No. 16 minimum.

No. 8 maximum. Explain why 16 would not do the harm I'm mentioning.

DownwardDawg
12-29-2019, 06:58 PM
8 is and has always been the correct number of teams. I just hope they figure it out someday.

viverlibre
12-29-2019, 09:33 PM
8 team playoff for the PF (5 Conf Champions, two at larges and ND). Separate playoff and championship for the G5.

Maroonthirteen
12-29-2019, 09:38 PM
I think college football should..... go to 9 regular season conference games for all P5 conferences. Drop the conference championship games. Experts said this year, LSU and Ohio St could have lost their conference championship and made the playoff. Also how many times has one team just been playing spoiler in the sec championship game?

I like your idea of 16.

Bothrops
12-29-2019, 09:39 PM
Too much risk for injury, these kids play enough games.

Quaoarsking
12-29-2019, 10:23 PM
Too much risk for injury, these kids play enough games.

Even though high school, lower divisions of college, and professional play 16+? What makes the FBS players alone so delicate?