PDA

View Full Version : Memphis VS Penn State

Westdawg
12-28-2019, 12:52 PM
Memphis is a very well coached and disciplined team. Watch their punt return and kickoff units (sp teams) - look really good.
Their D unit plays fast and mean, but still under control.
Their offense believes they can score on anyone - and so far they have. They are run heavy offense, but they also take and complete more shots down field than any other team in FBS ( 34 or 35 plays of 30+ yards)
And a lot of undervalued Mississippi players on that Memphis team making major contributions.
Loving this game. I wish it was us

Leeshouldveflanked
12-28-2019, 01:06 PM
Memphis is a very well coached and disciplined team. Watch their punt return and kickoff units (sp teams) - look really good.
Their D unit plays fast and mean, but still under control.
Their offense believes they can score on anyone - and so far they have. They are run heavy offense, but they also take and complete more shots down field than any other team in FBS ( 34 or 35 plays of 30+ yards)
And a lot of undervalued Mississippi players on that Memphis team making major contributions.
Loving this game. I wish it was us

If Memphis and Penn State were in the SEC, they would be playing in the Liberty Bowl. Both teams are benefiting by playing in weak conferences.

Westdawg
12-28-2019, 01:10 PM
True, but Memphis would beat us by 7+.
And that is a travesty. It's not because of more talent, but the coaching.

chef dixon
12-28-2019, 01:45 PM
Their defense looks Peter Sirmon mean and fast

ShotgunDawg
12-28-2019, 01:48 PM
Memphis' WR play is clearly superior to ours. It's really the only position they are better, but still. How does that happen?

Leeshouldveflanked
12-28-2019, 02:06 PM

Memphis got beat by Temple this year......

99jc
12-28-2019, 02:23 PM
sneak under center for a TD. If you are just a stupid bastard coach most of us know you are at least steal some plays from other competent coaches!

BankerDog
12-28-2019, 02:25 PM
Memphis got beat by Temple this year......

And we were a missed EXP away from getting beat by a team Memphis blew out. Their WRs are head and shoulders better than ours. It?s a shame watching Tate and Kenny Gainwell because we went ?star? chasing. Clark will be an even better RB for them too. It pained me watching Brandon Smith last night for Iowa, who is from the Olive Branch area, because we didn?t offer him. 6?3 205 pound kid that can catch and gets open.

Todd4State
12-28-2019, 02:28 PM
Honestly this is the least of my complaints about Joe.

RocketDawg
12-28-2019, 02:28 PM
Pretty good game. 35-33 Penn State at the moment, but maybe Memphis can pull it out.

Quite a few Memphis fans made the trek to Dallas.

ShotgunDawg
12-28-2019, 02:45 PM
Every good college offense that I've seen gets the ball out of the QB's hands quickly on a consistent basis.

Ours does not. How do we justify that?

DogsofAnarchy
12-28-2019, 02:47 PM
If Memphis and Penn State were in the SEC, they would be playing in the Liberty Bowl. Both teams are benefiting by playing in weak conferences.

Has Memphis EVER remotely recruited near the level that Penn State has? Then how are they making this game competitive?

msudawg1200
12-28-2019, 02:49 PM
Every good college offense that I've seen gets the ball out of the QB's hands quickly on a consistent basis.

Ours does not. How do we justify that?

Offensive genius is why. Have you not heard?

ShotgunDawg
I don't know how you prepare for Memphis' offense

They've run the spread. Wild cat, reverses, short passes, deep ball, quick outs, power tosses, and all else in between. Very very versatile

cheewgumm
What was the date Memphis surpassed us as a program?

ShotgunDawg
12-28-2019, 02:51 PM
Has Memphis EVER remotely recruited near the level that Penn State has? Then how are they making this game competitive?

The G5 team always makes it a good game in the G5's NY6 game. UCF gave LSU a game last year, UCF beat Auburn, the Boise State teams over the years, etc

chef dixon
12-28-2019, 02:51 PM
Honestly though, Memphis being good is a testament to the talent in our state. If there was one major school in the state there is little doubt it would compete nationally at least at an Auburn like level.

ShotgunDawg
12-28-2019, 02:52 PM

They still haven't and likely won't ever. If we played them 10 times this season, we'd win 7 of those. Assuming we are at full strength.

ShotgunDawg
12-28-2019, 02:52 PM
Honestly though, Memphis being good is a testament to the talent in our state. If there was one major school in the state there is little doubt it would compete nationally at least at an Auburn like level.

Absolutely. Evaluation would be key though. You'd still lose good players just like Louisiana and Alabama does.

cheewgumm
12-28-2019, 02:54 PM
Disagree. We wouldn?t beat them 7 times in 10.

May be the opposite this year.

RocketDawg
12-28-2019, 02:56 PM
Did the officials not notice that block in the back just now? Or just ignored it?

ShotgunDawg
12-28-2019, 02:56 PM
Disagree. We wouldn?t beat them 7 times in 10.

May be the opposite this year.

If we're at full strength with the tutor 10, Dantler, Shrader, etc then the rosters aren't close.

You're not seeing the game correctly if you truly believe they'd beat us 7 or 10 times. No chance.

Memphis would trade rosters with us tomorrow if they could.

Leeshouldveflanked
12-28-2019, 03:13 PM

If we played Memphis Schedule, we would be 13-0 without tutorgate.

ShotgunDawg
12-28-2019, 03:14 PM
If we played Memphis Schedule, we would be 13-0 without tutorgate.

This

Offshore Dawg
12-28-2019, 03:19 PM
Memphis' WR play is clearly superior to ours. It's really the only position they are better, but still. How does that happen?

You would assume, better talent with better coaching, and being able to spot that talent and recruit it.

RiverCityDawg
12-28-2019, 03:19 PM
I'm too lazy to link any of the articles, but the QB sneak has a ridiculous success rate and is by far the most successful play to convert with 1 yard to go across all levels of football. I get we don't have any conventional plays under center, but it's worth spending some of practice under center if for no other reason than to have the QB sneak in the play book.

ShotgunDawg
12-28-2019, 03:21 PM
Iowa ran 2 QB sneaks in a row last night from the 8 yard line & could've scored on a 3rd QB sneak. It's fantastic play call & absolutely needs to be in everyone's playbook.

I wish we were coached by Iowa. The Iowa style of football would work & have a ton of success at MSU

ShotgunDawg
12-28-2019, 03:26 PM
Something that you must consider with Memphis is that many many of their players (Gainwell) would not have qualified at an SEC school.

They get some SEC level talent guys that lack the grades for SEC & don't choose to go to JUCO.

I make that point because, if some of these guys have the grades for MSU or OM, MSU & OM may have had to fight off Auburn, Arkansas, Florida, Tennessee, etc for them.

Coaching at Memphis isn't exactly a seamless transferable skill to coaching in the SEC

Todd4State
12-28-2019, 03:33 PM
Something that you must consider with Memphis is that many many of their players (Gainwell) would not have qualified at an SEC school.

They get some SEC level talent guys that lack the grades for SEC & don't choose to go to JUCO.

I make that point because, if some of these guys have the grades for MSU or OM, MSU & OM may have had to fight off Auburn, Arkansas, Florida, Tennessee, etc for them.

Coaching at Memphis isn't exactly a seamless transferable skill to coaching in the SEC

And how many JUCO's are in our current class? It's about 1/5 of our current class.

The problem is Dan sucked at recruiting which was allowed for years and we're paying for it. We've missed on blue chips and we've missed on the under the radar guys in Mississippi. All goes back to laziness. I don't know that I agree with the scout about 8-10 guys with NFL talent. Maybe NFL athleticism. But guys like Guidry aren't going to make it past the inactive squad because he can't catch the ball. People like Willie Gay won't be protected for hitting the QB. There are some very obvious character issues on our team plus a coach that doesn't have the sack to discipline them.

Percho
12-28-2019, 03:34 PM
Speculation.

Let's say for the last seven years their had been a limit of 75 players on scholarship what would likely be the score in this game?

ShotgunDawg
12-28-2019, 03:39 PM
Speculation.

Let's say for the last seven years their had been a limit of 75 players on scholarship what would likely be the score in this game?

Nail biter

DownwardDawg
12-28-2019, 03:44 PM

No man. Just no.

DownwardDawg
12-28-2019, 03:48 PM
I don't know how you prepare for Memphis' offense

They've run the spread. Wild cat, reverses, short passes, deep ball, quick outs, power tosses, and all else in between. Very very versatile
I love it!!! But I prefer a team that plays defense. If we could somehow figure out how to do both. Mullen?s offense with a little more creativity along with grantham defense would be lethal at State.

DogsofAnarchy
12-28-2019, 04:02 PM

The day our administration said, “Mike Norvell didn’t pass the VETTING process...” What an absolute DAMN joke!!!

DogsofAnarchy
12-28-2019, 04:07 PM
They still haven't and likely won't ever. If we played them 10 times this season, we'd win 7 of those. Assuming we are at full strength.

Disagree with you here Shotgun. Memphis would have outscored us 9 out of 10. We do not have enough defense to keep them from scoring. And we couldn?t score enough, even on their defense.

ShotgunDawg
12-28-2019, 04:10 PM
Disagree with you hear Shotgun. Memphis would have outscored us 9 out of 10. We do not have enough defense to keep them from scoring. And we couldn?t score enough, even on their defense.

Agree to disagree. It's an unanswerable question so there's not really a debate.

Westdawg
12-28-2019, 04:15 PM
Maybe not this year, but we play them in a couple seasons. If sloMo is still here and not any better than 6-6, Big Blue will run it up on us if this new coach holds the momentum.