PDA

View Full Version : Why Cohen has to go

Rex54
12-28-2019, 10:59 AM
This isn?t just about Moorhead but that?s an obvious number one how he handled the end of year. What about OM said ?he earned the right to continue? ESPECIALLY after that ass-showing press conference. Moorhead needing to go is beyond obvious and Cohen pussed out when he needed stones to lead this department.

But the other ancillary issues stem from the atrocious gameday management from security, parking, road closures early, security lines, food, etc. He is a baseball coach and isn?t capable of this incredibly important aspect of the job. How many people would be choosing their couch and 4K TV for this reason alone. Half empty stadiums next year will be deafening in the silence.

Also- we are about to be infused with more cash than ever dreamed of. We need a competent AD to be handling those funds the right way.

I don?t have any trust in Cohen?s ability to do any of the above, and thus feel the HC and AD need to be replaced as soon as possible to get us on the right footing and capable of being competitive with the new influx of $$$

confucius say
12-28-2019, 11:01 AM
Last two paragraphs are a major point nobody is talking about. We are about to add at least 20 million annually thanks to the new tv deal. With cohens propensity to go cheap, his will we use it?

Churchill
12-28-2019, 11:07 AM
1000% agree with this. We are headed back to the 60's in football at this point at warp speed. It's heartbreaking.

PMDawg
12-28-2019, 11:08 AM
Beat the dead horse please.

RougeDawg
12-28-2019, 11:13 AM
It will take getting rid of more than JC to rid us of our own self inflicted wounds. We still have too many cigar boys and people of influence, stuck in the Stockholm syndrome of MSUs football past. To them, making a bowl and beating OM are everything. To be damned with striving for more than that. These are the boosters who backed out after EB, and the same reasons pre JWS, that we were stuck in a cycle of suck. Loser mentalities, satisfied with mediocrity, if they could somehow reach it.

Battered wife syndrome, Stockholm syndrome, whatever analogy you wish to use. Until these people are gone from our university, do not expect any changes. We will continue to keep coaches 2-3 years past their expiration dates. We will continue to attempt to spread money evenly and fairly, as to not offend anyone. It is why we were the doormat and homecoming opponent for so many decades before jws. People knew we would lay down at the first sign of adversity or pushback.

gtowndawg
12-28-2019, 11:27 AM
It is a dead horse, but at the very least, Cohen needs to bring in a true PR person that understands how to communicate with fans and donors. Oh, and let that person do their job.

Indndawg
12-28-2019, 01:05 PM
Rouge Dawg just maybe has posted the best post ever on ED, SPS, or Swan Lake. This is so full of truth. I truly bow to you.

Leeshouldveflanked
12-28-2019, 01:13 PM
Cohen could easily be replaced with a $75K per year accountant....

Todd4State
12-28-2019, 01:29 PM
It will take getting rid of more than JC to rid us of our own self inflicted wounds. We still have too many cigar boys and people of influence, stuck in the Stockholm syndrome of MSUs football past. To them, making a bowl and beating OM are everything. To be damned with striving for more than that. These are the boosters who backed out after EB, and the same reasons pre JWS, that we were stuck in a cycle of suck. Loser mentalities, satisfied with mediocrity, if they could somehow reach it.

Battered wife syndrome, Stockholm syndrome, whatever analogy you wish to use. Until these people are gone from our university, do not expect any changes. We will continue to keep coaches 2-3 years past their expiration dates. We will continue to attempt to spread money evenly and fairly, as to not offend anyone. It is why we were the doormat and homecoming opponent for so many decades before jws. People knew we would lay down at the first sign of adversity or pushback.

Yep. The problem with getting rid of Cohen is the group you are talking about will force their next puppet in. Rhett Hobart is still in his 20's but let's give him a shot! That's how they think- so that they can keep their precious access and say in the program.

ScottH
12-28-2019, 01:37 PM
Yep. That's how they think- so that they can keep their precious access and say in the program.

It's a jock sniffer mentality.

At most other schools the AD wouldn't know who they are.

ScottH
12-28-2019, 01:38 PM
Cohen could easily be replaced with a $75K per year accountant....

I disagree.

$55k and a good benefit package.

whosyourdawgy
12-28-2019, 01:41 PM
This isn?t just about Moorhead but that?s an obvious number one how he handled the end of year. What about OM said ?he earned the right to continue? ESPECIALLY after that ass-showing press conference. Moorhead needing to go is beyond obvious and Cohen pussed out when he needed stones to lead this department.

But the other ancillary issues stem from the atrocious gameday management from security, parking, road closures early, security lines, food, etc. He is a baseball coach and isn?t capable of this incredibly important aspect of the job. How many people would be choosing their couch and 4K TV for this reason alone. Half empty stadiums next year will be deafening in the silence.

Also- we are about to be infused with more cash than ever dreamed of. We need a competent AD to be handling those funds the right way.

I don?t have any trust in Cohen?s ability to do any of the above, and thus feel the HC and AD need to be replaced as soon as possible to get us on the right footing and capable of being competitive with the new influx of $$$

Not even gonna read this stupid bullshit. Who do you want to hire numbnuts. Just shut the hell up and support if find another freaking team. Good lord, some of our fan base is freaking idiotic.

Rex54
12-28-2019, 01:48 PM
Rhett Hobart is still in his 20's but let's give him a shot! That's how they think- so that they can keep their precious access and say in the program.

Dear God, no. No no no.
No more in-house. No more home-grown. No more go along to get along. No more “marketing guys”.

Hire a GD legit search firm and turn this into a professional organization.

bobcat91
12-28-2019, 01:50 PM
We are competing in about every sport, upgrading facilities and practice facilities. Cohen is doing well, but because 30 loudmouths with pitchforks didnt get their way, he needs to be fired. We arent filled with non competitive sports like days of old. Yall need to find something to enjoy in life.

Rex54
12-28-2019, 01:58 PM
We are competing in about every sport.

Fresca and Barq’s sales and performance is doing well, but Coca Cola Classic is woefully underachieving, experiencing logistical problems in the factory, and the product manager just told the customers to kiss his ass. All is well within the company overall!

Leeshouldveflanked
12-28-2019, 01:59 PM
We are competing in about every sport, upgrading facilities and practice facilities. Cohen is doing well, but because 30 loudmouths with pitchforks didnt get their way, he needs to be fired. We arent filled with non competitive sports like days of old. Yall need to find something to enjoy in life.

You must not have went to any home football games this year...

HereComesTheSpiral
12-28-2019, 02:12 PM

I'm loving the cheap concession prices, just wish someone was actually at the booths to take my money.

ShotgunDawg
12-28-2019, 02:12 PM

We're competing in football?

Did you see us play SEC games this year?

bobcat91
12-28-2019, 02:39 PM

We buy 11 season tickets. We were at all but 1 game

RocketDawg
12-28-2019, 02:48 PM

Rex - Would you consider going to Settings>General>Keyboard and turning off Smart Punctuation? It'll quit putting ? when you intend ' and " and maybe a few other things.

Todd4State
12-28-2019, 03:06 PM
Dear God, no. No no no.
No more in-house. No more home-grown. No more go along to get along. No more “marketing guys”.

Hire a GD legit search firm and turn this into a professional organization.

Amen. I'm tired of our AD being run like a freaking high school AD.

Todd4State
12-28-2019, 03:07 PM
I'm loving the cheap concession prices, just wish someone was actually at the booths to take my money.

We're cutting concession prices. However this IS a catch.**

Dawgface
12-28-2019, 03:13 PM
Amen. I'm tired of our AD being run like a freaking high school AD.

Me too but the question is......what does Keenum think of Cohen's performance thus far? If he's happy then he is here to stay unless big boosters raise hell.

bobcat91
12-28-2019, 03:36 PM
Me too but the question is......what does Keenum think of Cohen's performance thus far? If he's happy then he is here to stay unless big boosters raise hell.

Lol. Keenum has taken our academics into the toilet. He should be looking over his shoulder

IMissJack
12-28-2019, 03:37 PM

One reason I loved JWS. He ran the room when in touch with the big boys. No way the group we have now do that.

Coursesuper
12-28-2019, 03:42 PM
To many people blinded by maroon and white to see anything clearly. Someday you will wake up and see until then things are what they are.

Todd4State
12-28-2019, 04:19 PM

Keenum wasn't thrilled when Cohen was named AD. That's why I don't believe that Keenum protected Joe. I think he wants Cohen to burn himself in front of the people that put him in.

Quaoarsking
12-28-2019, 04:42 PM
I've always liked Cohen, but he created the problem we're in, and then refused to do something about it despite the clear will of the fanbase wanting him to. Therefore if Moorhead has to be fired at any point in the next few years, Cohen must go too - it's only reasonable.

DogsofAnarchy
12-28-2019, 04:46 PM

Not saying I agree or disagree. I’m still on the fence but I always support MSU. With that said, it’s a lot more people that are against this administration and coaching staff than you are giving credit for. 30% Pro Moorhead 70% Con Moorhead.

bobcat91
12-28-2019, 04:56 PM
Not saying I agree or disagree. I’m still on the fence but I always support MSU. With that said, it’s a lot more people that are against this administration and coaching staff than you are giving credit for. 30% Pro Moorhead 70% Con Moorhead.

But that's just it. Most fans are not for firing Joe. If he screws up next year that will change. But there is a group of folks across the sites who propagate the idea everyone is ready for change. I work with a lot of MSU folks who are frankly stunned at the group of folks who want to fire everyone. Most are wanting to see how things progress. Message boards are a terrible place to gauge fan interest.

AROB44
12-28-2019, 05:02 PM
But that's just it. Most fans are not for firing Joe. If he screws up next year that will change. But there is a group of folks across the sites who propagate the idea everyone is ready for change. I work with a lot of MSU folks who are frankly stunned at the group of folks who want to fire everyone. Most are wanting to see how things progress. Message boards are a terrible place to gauge fan interest.

This is so true. Based on message boards, we would be firing Joe, Ben Howland, Cohen and Keenum. Of course their replacements wouldn?t last long either.

Rex54
12-28-2019, 05:06 PM

Well I work with a group of folks and all of them want him fired. So there.

Coursesuper
12-28-2019, 05:10 PM

Every MSU grad I work with play golf with all but one family member and others I associate with want both of them gone. There is not even any debate among any of us and there are 3 M club members in the family. This is not a small group of people not small at all.

Todd4State
12-28-2019, 05:12 PM
Well I work with a group of folks and all of them want him fired. So there.

I've found that MSU fans in Starkville tend to be more patient with MSU coaches than people everywhere else.

Probably because the Starkville people are more likely to know the MSU athletic administration and coaches more personally in my theory.

RougeDawg
12-28-2019, 05:15 PM
This is so true. Based on message boards, we would be firing Joe, Ben Howland, Cohen and Keenum. Of course their replacements wouldn?t last long either.

So when random people ask what happened to your football program this year, who wouldn?t know a football if it smoked them in the face, means that non message board people are pro SloMo?

This was a random person in New Orleans. Not someone from Mississippi with Mississippi ties. Anyone who thinks a majority of the fan base is happy with JoVester, probably never leaves their 40 acres, has no TV or internet. Anyone with a brain, can see how far we have regressed in 18 months. Add in the fact that we had 3 players drafted (5 2019 NFL starters) in the 1st round last year, off of the nations best defense. The list of failures in the last 18 months, sometimes takes a coach 5-10 years to accomplish. Losing 4 games in 2 seasons we were 7+ point favorites, when it had only happened 1 time the last 9 seasons. The list of doing less with moor is enough to start a novel on what not to do when handed a top 20-25 program.

I have family members who did not want to let Slytanic go, who started questioning SloMo last season. That group has only grown and grown louder. It is called the eye test, and even the most ignorant and ill informed know when something does not pass it.

And no. There is a difference in the type and volume of griping about SloMo and the others you mention. Cohen deserves what he gets. Howland took over an 85 alarm dumpster fire. And Keenum did force the country club to make changes or GTFO.

HoopsDawg
12-28-2019, 05:18 PM

Very few State fans want Howland fired. Of course, a lot of State fans are apathetic towards basketball.

Keenum, most don't care. He needs to handle the academic side of the university a little better.

Cohen. He seemed under qualified for the job. But he's an MSU guy and most hope he can continue to learn from mistakes and improve.

Moorhead, I personally don't know anyone who believes in him. I have to come to the message board to find people like you that support him.

Quaoarsking
12-28-2019, 05:22 PM

That's just something you made up. You have utterly no evidence for that dubious assertion.

R2Dawg
12-28-2019, 05:25 PM

Well I don't have one MSU friend, alumni, fan, etc. that like Moorhead or want him as coach. Other than a few on here, I don't see any that really support Joe.

DLGDawg
12-28-2019, 05:29 PM
Rex - Would you consider going to Settings>General>Keyboard and turning off Smart Punctuation? It'll quit putting ? when you intend ' and " and maybe a few other things.

Hey "thanks I didn't know it was that easy"

bobcat91
12-28-2019, 05:38 PM
That's just something you made up. You have utterly no evidence for that dubious assertion.

As I said, from the MSU folks I talk to, they are for giving him this next season. You have no evidence except for a bunch of message board heroes that everyone wants him gone.

Coursesuper
12-28-2019, 05:41 PM
As I said, from the MSU folks I talk to, they are for giving him this next season. You have no evidence except for a bunch of message board heroes that everyone wants him gone.

Ahh the old message board hero's line. You could at least be creative, but that ain't happen now is it.

bobcat91
12-28-2019, 05:46 PM
Ahh the old message board hero's line. You could at least be creative, but that ain't happen now is it.

If everyone wanted him gone as you say, he would be. But I guess Keenum didnt, Cohen didnt and the guys with money didnt, or again he would be. How does it feel to be so insignificant?

Todd4State
12-28-2019, 05:47 PM

Like someone said it's usually the holier than thou crowd that goes with that line.

jacksondawg
12-28-2019, 05:49 PM

Everyone that I have talked to in the Jackson Metro area want Joe gone at the very least. Most of the people I have talked to are not your average joes either they know Keenum on a personal level and donate very generously to not just the athletic department but the academic side as well. So to say that most fans are for not firing Joe is completely false and is pushing a narrative.

Rex54
12-28-2019, 05:51 PM
If everyone wanted him gone as you say, he would be. But I guess Keenum didnt, Cohen didnt and the guys with money didnt, or again he would be. How does it feel to be so insignificant?

You're telling me we have retards running the program and cucked Virginia Slim losers in the establishment? I'm stunned....

It's literally a Marie Antoinette scene and next year the peasants can and will revolt. Moorhead said "this is my team, let them eat cake"... Have fun playing for the metal bleachers, Yankee.

bobcat91
12-28-2019, 05:52 PM
Everyone that I have talked to in the Jackson Metro area want Joe gone at the very least. Most of the people I have talked to are not your average joes either they know Keenum on a personal level and donate very generously to not just the athletic department but the academic side as well. So to say that most fans are for not firing Joe is completely false and is pushing a narrative.
Again, if that was true, he would be gone. Explain why he isnt? If the money guys and Keenum said fire him, then he would have been fired. Since he wasnt, then your argument is meaningless. He is back because they wanted him back.

Todd4State
12-28-2019, 05:53 PM
You're telling me we have retards running the program and cucked Virginia Slim losers in the establishment? I'm stunned....

It's literally a Marie Antoinette scene and next year the peasants can and will revolt. Moorhead said "let them eat cake"; Have fun playing for the metal bleachers, Yankee.

At least Marie Antoinette gave them cake. Joe gives us rocks.

HoopsDawg
12-28-2019, 05:55 PM
Again, if that was true, he would be gone. Explain why he isnt? If the money guys and Keenum said fire him, then he would have been fired. Since he wasnt, then your argument is meaningless. He is back because they wanted him back.

This is true. Cohen wanted him back. And a couple of big boosters didn't want to buy him out. We beat Ole Miss and made a bowl-yay.

Coursesuper
12-28-2019, 05:56 PM

Oooooo you got me there, like back in the Marines I'm going to have to ask you to head over to armory to pick up that ID 10 T card. But from reading what you post I'm pretty sure you have already been there.

Todd4State
12-28-2019, 05:58 PM

Because the major boosters have the control and they would rather us lose and keep access than go against the guy giving them access- Cohen- who is keeping Joe there because he's "his guy". Keenum I think is going to let Cohen rot so he can get rid of him because he has to deal with the same boosters that put Cohen in charge in the first place. Meaning he is going to make those people fire Cohen too.

The end. Have a nice day.

Coursesuper
12-28-2019, 06:02 PM
Because the major boosters have the control and they would rather us lose and keep access than go against the guy giving them access- Cohen- who is keeping Joe there because he's "his guy". Keenum I think is going to let Cohen rot so he can get rid of him because he has to deal with the same boosters that put Cohen in charge in the first place. Meaning he is going to make those people fire Cohen too.

The end. Have a nice day.

You sir are correct.

Todd4State
12-28-2019, 06:02 PM
This is true. Cohen wanted him back. And a couple of big boosters didn't want to buy him out. We beat Ole Miss and made a bowl-yay.

Yeah I wonder what those boosters are thinking now. Willie Gay's latest incident and the response from the AD probably hasn't thrilled them too much. If we lose the bowl game I could totally see them changing their minds. Honestly this incident might be enough in and of itself.

I fully expect Joe back but honestly if the boosters change their mind it wouldn't surprise me.

Quaoarsking
12-28-2019, 06:05 PM

I never asserted that "everyone wants him gone." I just said that you're full of shit without claiming the opposite of what you said has to be true.

Obviously some combination of Keenum, Cohen, and the big money guys wants him to stay, but it's pretty clear to everyone on here except you that most fans want him gone. Even all of our samples are somehow not representative, there's just no way you can say the majority wants to keep him. It's either "inconclusive" or a majority wanting him gone.

Todd4State
12-28-2019, 06:06 PM
You sir are correct.

It's funny to me how some of these holier than thou people think failing coaches are infallible because the administration is keeping them around and don't understand the politics of it.

Been this way since my Grandfather who used to hang out with big boosters back in the 60's and probably way before that.

Coursesuper
12-28-2019, 06:12 PM
It's funny to me how some of these holier than thou people think failing coaches are infallible because the administration is keeping them around and don't understand the politics of it.

Been this way since my Grandfather who used to hang out with big boosters back in the 60's and probably way before that.

Excellent points, almost no one will take these things in to account. They choose to believe all the bullshit that spoon fed to them by the fan media.

OLJWales
12-28-2019, 06:12 PM

This post makes me wonder if it is possible to be a dumb ass and a smart ass at the same time.

bobcat91
12-28-2019, 06:16 PM
This post makes me wonder if it is possible to be a dumb ass and a smart ass at the same time.

It's called logic, but You wouldn't have a clue what that is.

Todd4State
12-28-2019, 06:26 PM
Excellent points, almost no one will take these things in to account. They choose to believe all the bullshit that spoon fed to them by the fan media.

And the media gets their info from the AD who is influenced by the major boosters...

It's funny for someone to think that all you have to do is have some money and show up to the Bryan Building and start telling people to fire the football coach. To do that you have to have money AND work your way in politically. It takes years and hanging out with the right people to do it. Even then you may not be a major player- like my Grandfather wasn't. But they do get to know what goes on for the most part.

Quaoarsking
12-28-2019, 06:49 PM
It's called logic, but You wouldn't have a clue what that is.

This from a guy who has a few friends who don't want Joe Moorhead fired and thinks that means a majority of the fanbase thinks that way too.

Rex54
12-28-2019, 06:53 PM
This from a guy who has a few friends who don't want Joe Moorhead fired and thinks that means a majority of the fanbase thinks that way too.

It's like the quip from Pauline Kael in 1972 - "How could Nixon have won? Nobody I know voted for him"

Coursesuper
12-28-2019, 06:55 PM

And I bet he watches the Hallmark Channel on the reg.

bobcat91
12-28-2019, 06:59 PM

Not one of you or myself has any real information on how the total fanbase feels. We have what the folks around us feel. Funny, I thought this was a place you could have discussions on State, but god forbid you disagree. Oh well, Joe will be coaching next year so enjoy.

OLJWales
12-28-2019, 07:06 PM
Not one of you or myself has any real information on how the total fanbase feels. We have what the folks around us feel. Funny, I thought this was a place you could have discussions on State, but god forbid you disagree. Oh well, Joe will be coaching next year so enjoy.

You don't have "any real information"? surprises me, since you know he's gonna be coaching next year, I'd have thought different. And yes, we disagree as to whether or not an inadequate HC gets to continue to run our program into the ground. You seem to think those who want change should be shouted down at every step yet it appears the majority of the fan base want him gone. Just "common sense" banter that's going around in abundant fashion these days.

bobcat91
12-28-2019, 07:13 PM
You don't have "any real information"? surprises me, since you know he's gonna be coaching next year, I'd have thought different. And yes, we disagree as to whether or not an inadequate HC gets to continue to run our program into the ground. You seem to think those who want change should be shouted down at every step yet it appears the majority of the fan base want him gone. Just "common sense" banter that's going around in abundant fashion these days.

No, I'm fine that you want him gone. Problem is you are not fine with me saying give him another year. That's why a discussion ends.

OLJWales
12-28-2019, 07:25 PM

others on this board have MSU friends as well that disagree with you. You are self proclaiming that you know the fan base's opinion on JOMO and those who disagree with you are nothing more than "message board super heroes"

Todd4State
12-28-2019, 08:06 PM
others on this board have MSU friends as well that disagree with you. You are self proclaiming that you know the fan base's opinion on JOMO and those who disagree with you are nothing more than "message board super heroes"

Odds are the sample size on a MSU message board is going to be more reflective of what MSU fans think as a whole relative to what their smaller sample size of friends think.

Rex54
12-28-2019, 08:08 PM
Odds are the sample size on a MSU message board is going to be more reflective of what MSU fans think as a whole relative to what their smaller sample size of friends think.

Exactly. If 98% of people are saying they want him gone AND they say their friends are saying the same.... That's not going to lead to a reality where most want to give him one more year.

Coach34
12-28-2019, 08:11 PM
A) I literally dont know a person that wants JoVester to remain as HC. And I know alot of people.

B) Cohen will be our AD until he retires. My guess is another 10 years. JoVester's performance has zero to do with his job security.

Coursesuper
12-29-2019, 12:03 AM
A) I literally dont know a person that wants JoVester to remain as HC. And I know alot of people.

B) Cohen will be our AD until he retires. My guess is another 10 years. JoVester's performance has zero to do with his job security.

The last statement if solid proof that our inbreeding is strong.

Todd4State
12-29-2019, 12:11 AM

You're right about Cohen. And really no AD job should be directly tied to a coach. Most coaches are not going to want to go somewhere that the AD is either a lame duck or they don't know who their AD is. The silver lining there is Cohen is very good for baseball. Now that we have some stability I think we are going to have a very real chance to win a NC in that sport. Especially if they go to Robo umpires to prevent what happened in Omaha this year to us.

OLJWales
12-29-2019, 02:40 PM

agree with "A"

"B" makes me angry.