PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Breiner

Todd4State
12-28-2019, 01:26 AM
Going to Miami after the bowl?

Irondawg
12-28-2019, 01:39 AM
Would be interesting - I actually though Dan Enos did a great job at ARK - not sure what happened this year at Miami

HailStateSZN19
12-28-2019, 02:34 AM
Is this legit? What has he done to get Miami’s attention for the OC job? I was hoping QB coach/OC would be a change we’d make but wasn’t thinking Breiner would be getting interest from other schools. Is he looking to go elsewhere on his own?

Todd4State
12-28-2019, 02:48 AM
Joe's offense has worked at Penn State and parts of it at LSU. Joe may not be a great head coach but he is respected as an offensive mind. Getting someone that has worked under him is attractive to other schools. I've heard some rumors that Breiner may be leaving. I wouldn't be surprised if Cohen told him to do what LSU is doing with Brady and Ensminger and bring in someone that can compliment his offense. I don't expect for one minute that Joe is going to totally scrap "his" offense or completely give up play calling duties. But if we can get someone that can add some things to it and play call 25% of the time it may be beneficial. Probably will be this guy:

https://gopsusports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/tyler-bowen/779

We'll see how he does against Memphis tomorrow. He's the interim OC but PSU has just hired Minnesota's OC so Bowen will be moving on if I had to guess or would be willing to take a OCish job for us.

ejdallas322
12-28-2019, 02:51 AM
Or we could just go after a Saints assistant like LSU

Todd4State
12-28-2019, 03:14 AM
Here's what I could see possibly happening/would maybe like to see happen. I'm assuming Joey Jones is leaving. And for this I'll assume Breiner is leaving.

HC/OC/QB- Joe Moorhead (Ducks. Hides.)
RB- Terry Richardson
WR- Mike Johnson (Really need some continuity here at the moment for recruiting IMO)
Co-OC/TE- Tyler Bowen
OL- Marcus Johnson
DL- Deke Adams
LB- Todd Orlando- if he doesn't land a DC job somewhere else of course. Problem with this position is so many LB coaches are also sitting DC's. If Orlando falls through I'd be good going with Jamar Chaney. Could do worse than a former NFL LB that loves MSU.
Nickle- Tony Hughes
CB- T-Buck
DC/S- Bob Shoop
ST- Ricky Brumfield- can also coach S/CB/WR/TE. From NOLA. Analytically coaches a top 5 ST unit this year.

https://virginiasports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/ricky-brumfield/2620

Todd4State
12-28-2019, 03:22 AM
Or we could just go after a Saints assistant like LSU

I wonder how open Joe would be to someone like a Will Hall or a Dan Enos that could sort of incorporate Joe's RPO's to their offense? That's essentially what LSU did- adapt Sean Payton's offense to a collegiate level and then added in some of Joe's RPO's. It helps having a generational QB in Joe Burrow. They'll certainly regress next year. I wonder how much Joe Brady actually calls as far as the plays go. It seems to me like he is more of a consultant than anything else. And Ensminger makes the majority of the play calls. Ensminger was never anyone to write home about until Joe Burrow showed up.

RougeDawg
12-28-2019, 10:09 AM
Would bringing in someone to aid the offense, really help with the current crop of receivers we have? I?m not sure any offensive guru could miraculously help them learn how to get separation and actually catch the brown leather thing when it hits their hands.

Slight hijack. Do you remember the stories about Dak and the receivers working after practice and own their own? With limited, structured practice times, there is no way to get in enough work at any position. We all know Fitz liked extracurricular activities and did not hear the same ?extra work? stories about him. Maybe I?m wrong on that. But could be a big reason the receivers the last 3-5 years have underachieved. I could be completely wrong, but the players have to be hungry and willing to put in extra time if they want to be successful. Just not seeing it the last few seasons.

confucius say
12-28-2019, 10:59 AM
Would bringing in someone to aid the offense, really help with the current crop of receivers we have? I?m not sure any offensive guru could miraculously help them learn how to get separation and actually catch the brown leather thing when it hits their hands.

Slight hijack. Do you remember the stories about Dak and the receivers working after practice and own their own? With limited, structured practice times, there is no way to get in enough work at any position. We all know Fitz liked extracurricular activities and did not hear the same ?extra work? stories about him. Maybe I?m wrong on that. But could be a big reason the receivers the last 3-5 years have underachieved. I could be completely wrong, but the players have to be hungry and willing to put in extra time if they want to be successful. Just not seeing it the last few seasons.

Maybe not, but it could change who we target. CHE led all sec backs in targets and, I believe, receptions this year. Hill and Gibson and dear should have been used the same way. Backs in the passing game are a qb best friend.

ejdallas322
12-28-2019, 11:00 AM
We should bring back Joe Judge for special teams and recruiting, is doing wonders at the Patriots

AROB44
12-28-2019, 11:35 AM
We should bring back Joe Judge for special teams and recruiting, is doing wonders at the Patriots

You really think he would leave the Patriots to be a special team coach? I sure don?t. That’s as crazy as hiring a LB coach who has never coached on any college level just because he played here.

HailStateSZN19
12-28-2019, 12:35 PM
Joe's offense has worked at Penn State and parts of it at LSU. Joe may not be a great head coach but he is respected as an offensive mind. Getting someone that has worked under him is attractive to other schools. I've heard some rumors that Breiner may be leaving. I wouldn't be surprised if Cohen told him to do what LSU is doing with Brady and Ensminger and bring in someone that can compliment his offense. I don't expect for one minute that Joe is going to totally scrap "his" offense or completely give up play calling duties. But if we can get someone that can add some things to it and play call 25% of the time it may be beneficial. Probably will be this guy:

https://gopsusports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/tyler-bowen/779

We'll see how he does against Memphis tomorrow. He's the interim OC but PSU has just hired Minnesota's OC so Bowen will be moving on if I had to guess or would be willing to take a OCish job for us.

If he’s calling plays today, well their offense looks as sloppy and discombobulated coming out of the gate as ours does lol. Kevin Johns is calling a way better game so far than Bowen is. I just hope if Breiner is moving on, we take advantage of the opportunity (lol at that thought) and make a solid upgrade there because it shouldn’t be too hard to upgrade from Breiner.

DeputyDawg94
12-28-2019, 08:44 PM
I still don’t see getting quality replacements to come work for a coach who has a better than average chance of getting fired next season. Especially if they are happy at their current job.

Todd4State
12-28-2019, 08:56 PM
I still don’t see getting quality replacements to come work for a coach who has a better than average chance of getting fired next season. Especially if they are happy at their current job.

SEC experience can get coaches foot in the door at a lot of places. There are several guys on Croom's staff that are now in the NFL among other places for example. Joe is also a respected football mind in the football world. Chris Brown who writes for Grantland and smartfootball.com was talking about Joe and his RPO's and how much it influenced Joe Brady and LSU's offense on Twitter today during the LSU/Oklahoma football game.

HailStateSZN19
12-28-2019, 09:00 PM
Well Rosey said earlier today on 247 “I won’t be the least bit surprised if Breiner is elsewhere next season”. So that makes me think there’s some serious smoke that he’s probably gone. If so, we need to nut up and stop going cheap and try to hire a damn good QB/OC. I get some people say what good coach is going to come coach for a “lame duck” coach but this hire **could potentially** be a game changer for Joe and could save his future here. Not saying this will happen but the Joe Brady hire has obviously saved O’s ass for years to come with what he’s done this season. We just have to stop being damn cheap asses and throw some legit money around or north of $1 mil per year for someone to, not completely change Joe’s offense, but add some wrinkles and new concepts to go with it. We will find out soon enough if Joe is completely blind and unaware of needed changes or if he’s willing to admit some things need to change. And before anyone comes in with the “HE AINT GONNA CHANGE. NEVER WILL. I KNOW THIS FOR A FACT”, no one knows 100% whether he might make some big changes yet or not until after the bowl game. I just hope like hell he realizes what’s been happening offensively is unacceptable and maybe he’s open to some new concepts and routes and formations and wrinkles being added to his offensive system.

Coach34
12-28-2019, 09:03 PM
Breiner and Shrader do not get along at all. Breiner was told to look for another job I hear. We'll see if he lands one

HailStateSZN19
12-28-2019, 09:11 PM
Breiner and Shrader do not get along at all. Breiner was told to look for another job I hear. We'll see if he lands one

You hearing any other things on staff changes, C34?

DogsofAnarchy
12-28-2019, 09:12 PM
Well Rosey said earlier today on 247 “I won’t be the least bit surprised if Breiner is elsewhere next season”. So that makes me think there’s some serious smoke that he’s probably gone. If so, we need to nut up and stop going cheap and try to hire a damn good QB/OC. I get some people say what good coach is going to come coach for a “lame duck” coach but this hire **could potentially** be a game changer for Joe and could save his future here. Not saying this will happen but the Joe Brady hire has obviously saved O’s ass for years to come with what he’s done this season. We just have to stop being damn cheap asses and throw some legit money around or north of $1 mil per year for someone to, not completely change Joe’s offense, but add some wrinkles and new concepts to go with it. We will find out soon enough if Joe is completely blind and unaware of needed changes or if he’s willing to admit some things need to change. And before anyone comes in with the “HE AINT GONNA CHANGE. NEVER WILL. I KNOW THIS FOR A FACT”, no one knows 100% whether he might make some big changes yet or not until after the bowl game. I just hope like hell he realizes what’s been happening offensively is unacceptable and maybe he’s open to some new concepts and routes and formations and wrinkles being added to his offensive system.

I don’t know anything of MSU to be a “fact” but I will believe Moorhead will make changes when I see them.

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-28-2019, 09:14 PM
Going to Miami after the bowl?

Dolphins or The U?

HailStateSZN19
12-28-2019, 09:15 PM
I don’t know anything of MSU to be a “fact” but I will believe Moorhead will make changes when I see them.

Well read what C34 is hearing above, he’s even saying he’s heard Breiner was told to look for a job. There’s 1. I think we can expect changes at ST and S&C or at least that should almost be a given. The 247 people have hinted at those 2 spots as being possible changes for over a month or so. I’m just “hopeful” that these will be made. Who knows though. We’ll all know soon enough.

Todd4State
12-28-2019, 09:17 PM
Dolphins or The U?

The U. Florida.

Todd4State
12-28-2019, 09:18 PM

Why?

He basically called Joey Jones out multiple times to the media.

Todd4State
12-28-2019, 09:20 PM

I've heard from a couple of people- "Breiner sucks."

Honestly he seems fairly useless to us. His lack of play calling ability probably puts a little more pressure on Joe to do it all as well. I can think of at least three people on Joe Moorhead's coaching tree that call plays that are not named Joe Brady that would be upgrades.

DeputyDawg94
12-28-2019, 09:35 PM
SEC experience can get coaches foot in the door at a lot of places. There are several guys on Croom's staff that are now in the NFL among other places for example. Joe is also a respected football mind in the football world. Chris Brown who writes for Grantland and smartfootball.com was talking about Joe and his RPO's and how much it influenced Joe Brady and LSU's offense on Twitter today during the LSU/Oklahoma football game.
I don?t understand this. His offense hasn?t done jack crap. Why in the heck would anybody want to copy it?

Hambone
12-28-2019, 09:37 PM
Uhm..... did you not watch the LSU/Oklahoma game today?

Worked pretty damn good

DeputyDawg94
12-28-2019, 09:37 PM
Why?

He basically called Joey Jones out multiple times to the media.
Why didn’t he make in season adjustments then? ST was a detriment to the team in every game. It wasn’t a couple of isolated incidents. A change could have been made.

DeputyDawg94
12-28-2019, 09:41 PM
Uhm..... did you not watch the LSU/Oklahoma game today?

Worked pretty damn good
LSU and MSU don’t run the same offense. Similar but not the same. Mostly because Joe is unwilling to change to fit the personnel he has. I guess we could wait on a bunch of blue chip players and see what happens but I doubt we ever get a whole team full.
I don’t think Joe could score 60 on Co-Lin.

Hambone
12-28-2019, 09:56 PM
They do run the same.

The difference? 4 and 5 star talent across the board.

Oh yea, and the most improved QB in the country.

Todd4State
12-28-2019, 10:01 PM
I don?t understand this. His offense hasn?t done jack crap. Why in the heck would anybody want to copy it?

Because scheme wise on paper it's good. This isn't unusual actually. How many National Titles has Mike Leach won? And how many run his offense. What about Emory Bellard? The guy invented the wishbone and had two winning seasons here and how many people have run that scheme and won titles with it. Bob Stitt is considered an offensive genius because of his jet sweeps and things like that yet most don't know about him at all.

There's more to it than just X's and O's. You can only outscheme people so much. You have to have TALENT and players that can make what's on the paper work. Joe Burrow did things today with Joe's scheme that Fitz, Shrader, McSorley, and etc. all could only dream about doing.

And then being a head coach is not the same as being an OC. Being a head coach is about managing people in addition to the football coaching responsibilities. Joe absolutely has failed at that. Probably the same for some of the people I mentioned above like Bob Stitt.

Why didn’t he make in season adjustments then? ST was a detriment to the team in every game. It wasn’t a couple of isolated incidents. A change could have been made.

Maybe Joey Jones was incapable of making those adjustments and Joe being an offensive coach doesn't know how to make them either? We could have made a change but who would have been running ST then? Someone with even less experience than Jones if I had to guess- which would have also taken away from their responsibilities at their position hurting us in another spot. We could have made a change but I'm not sure how much impact it would have really had.

LSU and MSU don’t run the same offense. Similar but not the same. Mostly because Joe is unwilling to change to fit the personnel he has. I guess we could wait on a bunch of blue chip players and see what happens but I doubt we ever get a whole team full.
I don’t think Joe could score 60 on Co-Lin.

Not exactly the same. But maybe more than I realized. The reality is it's hard to adjust to anything with receivers that can't catch or make plays. Our o-line is not very athletic or great at pass blocking either. We won't get a ton of blue chips probably but that's not really our formula IMO anyway. What we can do and what we can control is make sure that we fill our spots in recruiting and avoid holes like we had at DL this year and build a team that is junior and senior laden every year. If we find and get a Jeffrey Simmons we can play them as well as a freshman and that's a huge bonus. We need to redshirt and develop players over a period of 2-3 years and build a team that way and cover all of our bases. The closest Dan really ever came to that was 2014 and we see the result. I believe we had almost all juniors and seniors at every offensive position that year. Pretty close to the same on defense that year as well. Shouldn't have 1A/1B'd it and focused a little more on special teams and we would have been even better.

MetEdDawg
12-28-2019, 10:04 PM
If this is true and he was told to look, that should help some on the Moorhead will never change side look at that false narrative and change their tune.

Dude coached under Moorhead and ultimately replaced him at Fordham because Moorhead said he would do well. To let a guy like that leaves should speak at least somewhat to Moorhead being willing to change.

Todd4State
12-28-2019, 10:09 PM
If this is true and he was told to look, that should help some on the Moorhead will never change side look at that false narrative and change their tune.

Dude coached under Moorhead and ultimately replaced him at Fordham because Moorhead said he would do well. To let a guy like that leaves should speak at least somewhat to Moorhead being willing to change.

People want Moorhead to be Croom so bad. The reality is he's not.

I actually think the opposite- we're probably going to make several changes. Genespage has been hinting at it as well. The names I had heard the most were Breiner, Jones, and Bichy. I've heard that Hughes may retire. That's basically the main ones.

DeputyDawg94
12-28-2019, 10:20 PM
I wasn’t necessarily talking a coaching change at ST coach. Some basic adjustments would have been nice. Just fair catch every kickoff and we have a lot of hidden yardage that could have helped. That’s the kind of stuff that makes me question his ability to change. It was a simple fix.
Joe will never have the weapons that he had at PSU or that LSU has. He has to adjust to players he has like he did in two games last year and was actually impressive.

Hambone
12-28-2019, 10:29 PM
That’s exactly what I was thinking. How big of a difference would our team and season look if we just had capable receivers that just made the routine catches.

Much less receivers that could create separation and make spectacular catches. That is literally the only thing we’re missing to be a dynamic offense.

SPMT
12-28-2019, 10:31 PM

I lived in Starkville at this time and witnessed Dak with the wr numerous times. Talked with them, etc. I used to run on campus and saw them all of the time.

DeputyDawg94
12-28-2019, 10:41 PM
That’s exactly what I was thinking. How big of a difference would our team and season look if we just had capable receivers that just made the routine catches.

Much less receivers that could create separation and make spectacular catches. That is literally the only thing we’re missing to be a dynamic offense.
I agree with this. Decent WR play would have made a major difference. It drove me insane to see the ball keep going to Guidry knowing he wasn’t going to catch it. Would have been better off putting some of the younger players so they could get game reps. If none of them can catch better than Guidry then we are in real trouble next season.

bluelightstar
12-28-2019, 11:17 PM
I think Breiner has been pretty bleh, but is he being told to find another job because he doesn’t get along with Shrader!? Good grief.

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-29-2019, 12:31 AM
I have no idea whether Breiner has been told to seek another job, but the part about him and Schrader not getting along is absolutely true.

DogsofAnarchy
12-29-2019, 12:38 AM
People want Moorhead to be Croom so bad. The reality is he's not.

I actually think the opposite- we're probably going to make several changes. Genespage has been hinting at it as well. The names I had heard the most were Breiner, Jones, and Bichy. I've heard that Hughes may retire. That's basically the main ones.

Now remember, someone leaving on their own is not US making a change.

Todd4State
12-29-2019, 01:17 AM
Now remember, someone leaving on their own is not US making a change.

If that makes you feel better.

MSU typically makes it look like people "leave on their own" or "resign on their own". It's a way to save face for everyone. The last coach that I can remember that MSU fired outright was Cann. We're nice people at MSU.

Coach34
12-29-2019, 07:53 AM
We DO NOT run the same offense as LSU. LSU runs alot of Sean Payton's O. We may do some of the same things at times- but no- the offenses are different

bulldawg28
12-29-2019, 08:11 AM

MarketingBully
12-29-2019, 08:35 AM
LSU and MSU don?t run the same offense. Similar but not the same. Mostly because Joe is unwilling to change to fit the personnel he has. I guess we could wait on a bunch of blue chip players and see what happens but I doubt we ever get a whole team full.
I don?t think Joe could score 60 on Co-Lin.

That LSU offense looked a lot like Penn State circa 2016-2017. Stretch the field, utilize the RB in the run and pass game, allow the QB a lot of freedom in the RPOs. Burrow and LSUs receivers were a lot better then McSorely and PSU receivers. PSU was better at the TE and Barkley was better. But make no mistake, LSU pushing the ball down the field like that is exactly what Moorhead wants to do. We just have shit receivers and our OL can?t pass block for shit which is why we can?t do what Moorhead wants to do.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-29-2019, 08:39 AM
That LSU offense looked a lot like Penn State circa 2016-2017. Stretch the field, utilize the RB in the run and pass game, allow the QB a lot of freedom in the RPOs. Burrow and LSUs receivers were a lot better then McSorely and PSU receivers. PSU was better at the TE and Barkley was better. But make no mistake, LSU pushing the ball down the field like that is exactly what Moorhead wants to do. We just have shit receivers and our OL can?t pass block for shit which is why we can?t do what Moorhead wants to do.

Every team on earth would love to push the ball downfield. Give any team an accurate downflied passer and the best WR unit in college and they'd "push the ball", doesn't make it Joe's O.

Even if it was Joe's O, so what? We will never have the WRs LSU does so we need an O that works for us

TheLostDawg
12-29-2019, 08:39 AM
I didn't see LSU wait until the game clock had 2 second on it before they snapped the ball either. They did a few times but it surely wasn't every play like we did this year. Hopefully another year with Schrader fixes this.
I hope another year with the same wr coach helps. I agree the culture changed after Dak. The '13-15 group put the extra work in after practice. They have lost that will to win and just expect it.

BhamDawg205
12-29-2019, 08:55 AM

Did I miss a Joe Burrow type QB on our roster? Better yet running anything other than the infamous bunch formation? Joe must have left his imagination a PSU or being HC is blocking his creative juices. And yes the WRs leave a lot to be desired. But offense has been a cluster F against any team with a pulse.

Dawgfan77
12-29-2019, 09:10 AM
Two years in and I?m not sure what offense we run

BhamDawg205
12-29-2019, 09:16 AM
Two years in and I?m not sure what offense we run

No identity... That's why the players and Joe look lost.