PDA

View Full Version : A thought for blocking clowney...

preachermatt83
10-30-2013, 04:38 PM
There is NO WAY I would want Blaine Clausell to be lined up across from Clowney.. So what should we do... For this week I would have Holley at center and slide Day over to guard freeing up Gabe to move over to LT.. I feel this gives us the ONLY chance to keep the DLINE in check. If we try to double team him all night it will just do what it's done all year for USC opponents which is make us venerable to their other very capable d linemen... Just a thought. It's logical so we can't expect to see it from Dan or Hevesy so just wishful thinking I guess.

DawgInMemphis
10-30-2013, 04:52 PM
There is NO WAY I would want Blaine Clausell to be lined up across from Clowney.. So what should we do... For this week I would have Holley at center and slide Day over to guard freeing up Gabe to move over to LT.. I feel this gives us the ONLY chance to keep the DLINE in check. If we try to double team him all night it will just do what it's done all year for USC opponents which is make us venerable to their other very capable d linemen... Just a thought. It's logical so we can't expect to see it from Dan or Hevesy so just wishful thinking I guess.

Guard and tackle are very different positions. They require different lines of thinking, body types, techniques, etc. Moving Gabe to LT would be a mistake. He's our best offensive lineman, and he's built like a guard. If we moved him to LT it would do more harm than good.

preachermatt83
10-30-2013, 04:58 PM
I agree it's not typical but he could block clowney, clausell will look like a jr high water boy against him.

CadaverDawg
10-30-2013, 05:06 PM
I agree it's not typical but he could block clowney, clausell will look like a jr high water boy against him.

Jackson is used to blocking bigger, slower guys for the most part. He would probably be worse at blocking Clowney than Clausell. I'm not saying Clausell is great, but you aren't giving him enough credit. He is not too bad, and with a chip by a RB or TE, should be able to hold his own. A lot will be based on our strategy, check downs, screens, and running right at him, etc...so I think if somehow we gameplan correctly, Blaine will do fine. Nobody is going to shut Clowney down...that's why he is going to be a high first round pick.

slickdawg
10-30-2013, 05:11 PM
I bet we see Artimas Samuel at TE next to Clausell and Nick Griffin in to block more.

Political Hack
10-30-2013, 05:59 PM
there are a thousand ways to neutralize a DE out of the spread option.

I worry more about him sliding over to Dt across from Beckwith, but well just out Clayborn on him at that point and show him why you don't screw with MS boys.

WeWillScrewItUp
10-30-2013, 06:18 PM
In order to block Clowney you have to use great technique. He is to strong, fast, and just plain athletic to try and over power. I hope our coaches have been pounding technique into our O-Linemens heads this week.

thf24
10-30-2013, 07:22 PM

No, he couldn't. It's Gabe who would look like the water boy. Guard and tackle require completely different skill sets and techniques. Gabe, with only a week to prep for playing tackle in a guard's body against the best college DE in the country (probably one of the best in the NFL right now too), would get roasted all night. Clausell will at least slow him down. I don't understand why this idea that Clausell is so bad is still around. He probably won't be drafted after next year and isn't going to be making All-SEC anytime soon, but he's become more than serviceable. He's not the weak link he was as a redshirt freshman anymore.

What we'll hopefully do to neutralize him is try to chip him with Samuel and Griffin, as slick said. Pass rushing DE's can get frustrated and impatient when attacked like that, which ideally leads to mental mistakes and makes the tackle's job easier. We could completely negate him with the read option if Dak could make correct reads consistently, but he's still a little ways off from being able to do that.

Coach34
10-30-2013, 09:37 PM

uhhhhh no

Clausell is not a bad player at all- all he needs is a little help from the RB's on certain plays.

Hell, on the zone read we dont even have to block Clowney

preachermatt83
10-30-2013, 09:57 PM
uhhhhh no

Clausell is not a bad player at all- all he needs is a little help from the RB's on certain plays.

Hell, on the zone read we dont even have to block Clowney

im not worried about the running plays, im referring to the pass rush.

chef dixon
10-30-2013, 10:11 PM
I haven't seen enough from Clowney this year to be exceedingly more worried about this than I would playing almost any other SEC D-line.

War Machine Dawg
10-30-2013, 10:28 PM

This is quite possibly the dumbest idea I've seen on MSU message boards. And I've seen a LOT of dumb ideas on our message boards over the years. If you don't know football, please just shut the **** up. No wonder you're on Team Hud. You're battling bully99 and cheewgum for worst poster on the board, but this post has put you in the lead.

Coach 57
10-31-2013, 05:52 AM
This is quite possibly the dumbest idea I've seen on MSU message boards. And I've seen a LOT of dumb ideas on our message boards over the years. If you don't know football, please just shut the **** up. No wonder you're on Team Hud. You're battling bully99 and cheewgum for worst poster on the board, but this post has put you in the lead.

Coach 57 approves this message (except the profanity of course). I was going to say the se thing though.

Clausell is actually the best player to block Clowney. It's when they move him to Siddoway's side is when you should worry. That's when we are going to use Samuel to chip/help. Blaine has made some nice strides as a player! Very much improved. But moving Gabe is not smart at all. He doesn't have the mobility either T's have.

PMDawg
10-31-2013, 07:38 AM
don't project his stupidity on others just because he jumped on a bandwagon....

by the way, I'm not on "team Hud" (b/c I don't know much about the guy) but I am pretty solidly on "team not Mullen" (since we're giving everything cutesy teenage girl nicknames now).

thedawg
10-31-2013, 08:15 AM
You have to constantly chip him with a TE or RB for any tackle in the country to have a chance... Same way they will block him next year in the NFL

CJDAWG85
10-31-2013, 08:21 AM
Clausell has done fine this year... Best way to beat Clowney is to run right at him

preachermatt83
10-31-2013, 05:48 PM

I assure you I know more about football than your little mind ever will. You might want to do some checking on just who I am before you open your mouth and make yourself look this dumb.

Coach 57
10-31-2013, 08:03 PM
I assure you I know more about football than your little mind ever will. You might want to do some checking on just who I am before you open your mouth and make yourself look this dumb.

Well please.....by all means. Who are you? Because I would love to know a person who claims to have a lot of football knowledge that ACTUALLY thinks this "option" would be successful? Gabe is too heavy & honestly I never have even seem the kid give a kickstep when he open his hips right or left. Which is the only way to block a pure pass rusher like Clowney. Besides we'll need Gabe (absolutely our best player in the team) blocking there sack leader for the year. So please tell me.

bluelightstar
10-31-2013, 08:20 PM
Agreed. Clowney would be a matchup nightmare for Gabe - don't want a guard trying to deal with an end rusher like that.

preachermatt83
10-31-2013, 08:28 PM
Well please.....by all means. Who are you? Because I would love to know a person who claims to have a lot of football knowledge that ACTUALLY thinks this "option" would be successful? Gabe is too heavy & honestly I never have even seem the kid give a kickstep when he open his hips right or left. Which is the only way to block a pure pass rusher like Clowney. Besides we'll need Gabe (absolutely our best player in the team) blocking there sack leader for the year. So please tell me.

1) Clowney is not going to go around but rather through someone.. clausell in this case but he would not run through Gabe as easily.
2) The reason that quarles is dominating is because Clowney is double teamed freeing Quarles up. My argument was that Gabe could block clowney without having to use an extra man therefore taking someone away from quarles.

preachermatt83
10-31-2013, 08:31 PM
his size has nothing to do with the fact that he is quick, as a matter of fact if you have ever seen the offensive line individual drills you would know that Gabe is actually much quicker with his feet then any of our Tackles.

preachermatt83
10-31-2013, 08:35 PM
and another thing, Gabe was projected as an Offensive Tackle coming out of HS and if it not had been for an immediate need at Guard is redshirt freshman season he would have stayed at Tackle.

Coach 57
10-31-2013, 10:12 PM
Lol, do you really believe this to be an option? Is this really a REAL scenario? Lol, this is comical. I don't care WHAT Gabe was in HS, he is NOW an ALL-SEC guard will have his hands FULL Saturday! And as far as the DT's stats. Have you actually watched them this year? You do realize they move Clowney ALL OVER the DL right? So how can that benefit this ONE SINGLE guys stats if they move Clowney around. I mean is this REALLY a REAL life conversation? In the words of my man Cris Carter "come ON mane!"

HoopsDawg
10-31-2013, 10:37 PM
and another thing, Gabe was projected as an Offensive Tackle coming out of HS and if it not had been for an immediate need at Guard is redshirt freshman season he would have stayed at Tackle.

Dude, just stop while you're behind.

Dawg61
10-31-2013, 10:38 PM
I'd just rotate the house the whole night and every single play assign two players to hit/block Clowney. He'll eventually wear down this way. No way he can maintain dominance if he gets hit 100+ times in a game. Nobody can.

SignalToNoise
10-31-2013, 10:54 PM
I'm still dying to know who preachermatt really is**

FISHDAWG
11-01-2013, 08:42 AM
Clowney typically plays on the Strong side so that match-up will Siddoway and M Johnson , Clausell plays on the Weak side so you probably won't see much of a Clausell / Clowney match I wouldn't think .... besides, Clausell has come along quite nicely - we could be much worse at that position

AROB44
11-01-2013, 09:02 AM

Elmer Gantry aka Jim Baker

Westdawg
11-01-2013, 09:05 AM

Me too. I know that quickness and agility are great skill sets that Gabe possesses; however, just because some projected him at OT does not mean that he is meant for OT. The fact that he has matured into a legitimate ALL SEC and possibly ALL AMERICAN OG, with the potential to be a 1st round draft pick this year says that Hevesy placed him in the right place. Yes, Gabe could "take on" Clowney, but he is at a distinct disadvantage if made to perform at the OT position. While he has - quickness and speed - he has not shown any consistent technique needed for holding down the edge against a strong pass rush. interior and perimeter blocking are very unique in their skill sets and requirements. Yes, he has taken on DEs when being a pulling guard, but that is not the same as Pass Pro. Could he learn it? sure, he could. Would he be successful at jumping to that position for just one match-up this season? Very doubtful.

DawgInMemphis
11-01-2013, 09:13 AM

It's a bad idea. Height and reach are a big part of what makes an effective OT. Gabe is a road grater, and damn good guard - he's built to be that way. He may be quick, he may be the quickest OL on the team. Without the reach/size/footwork/experience/etc. of an SEC tackle he won't fair well in a one on one against Clowney.

And I know a lot about football - I used to play super techmo bowl everyday.***

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-01-2013, 09:32 AM
The crazy thing is that he really is a preacher and says the things that he does. His twitter feed is nothing but hate for Mullen and love for Hud.

Bo Darville
11-01-2013, 09:53 AM
I would put Brandon Holloway or Jameon Lewis at offensive tackle. Their speed and quickness could neutralize Clowney.