PDA

View Full Version : Clay Travis on Upcoming ABC/SEC Deal

ShotgunDawg
12-24-2019, 10:48 AM
Interesting info here by Clay Travis who appears to have inside info on what's going on:

- Looks like the deal could be closer to $400 mil per year than $350. That would be somewhere near $26 mil per school/per year. $400/14 schools & the SEC office

- CBS blew their chances at the new deal when they refused to renegotiate their contract with the SEC after A&M & Mizzou were added while ESPN/ABC did.

- Looks like their could be a push to create a "good" 11:00/12:00 time slot game as a lead in to the SEC game of the week at 2:30. Instead of the 11:00 game being on SEC Network, it may be an ABC game to help support the 2:30 game getting maximum ratings. Right now everyone has to change the channel to CBS whereas under this system, many fans would already be on ABC. I guess if we have to play at 11:00, at least it could be a nationally televised game.

- College Game day could also be altered to push the SEC game of the week.

- ABC would look to buyout CBS' last 4 years of the contract.

Interesting stuff & worth a listen

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-24-2019, 12:16 PM
Lord I hope we use it on facilities AND salaries.

15m a year on building projects would allow us to immediately get all the smaller program specific projects done, and in 5ish total years we'd be able to replace the Hump and redo the FB stadium. There's not a lot of facility advantge other SEC schools would have on us in any sport at that point.

the extra 8M a year (we make 3M now, 26-3-15=8M) can be used kinda like this on coaching pay: 500k on football recruiting, 500k on mens BB, 500k on womens BB, 500k on baseball, 2M across all the smaller sports like softball and tennis, and that leaves 4m for football, the thing that actually makes money. 1M extra for the HC, 300k more per assistant. We'd be a top 5 paid staff time you exclude other SEC schools, meaning FSU ain't taking our LB coach unless we want them too and DCs don't go to Texas. We wouldn't have to take a gamble on up and coming assistants or DCs who need to rebuild their reputations.

We can have very highly paid staffs in EVERY SPORT we compete in, AND have facilities for them all that are perfectly adequate.

HOWEVER, this is Cohen we're talking about, so I suspect about $3M will gets used on facilities, 2M will somehow end up going to baseball since that's Cohens' baby, only 1M will go to football, and the rest will get lumped into the profit our AD currently runs and sent to wherever the heck that goes. When asked about the extra $23M we're making, Cohen will talk about how nice it is we finally have an indoor golf putting range and have the highest paid baseball staff in the country and ignore the fact $17M of the $23M is not being used at all.

basedog
12-24-2019, 12:23 PM
Sound all very good but just remember the rich get richer. Yes on coaches salaries and upgrade facilities as well as putting money in the "minor" sports. Imagine what Bama, Lsu, Auburn, Ga, Fl and a few others will do with the extra money. They will sky rocket coaches salaries.

ShotgunDawg
12-24-2019, 12:27 PM
Sound all very good but just remember the rich get richer. Yes on coaches salaries and upgrade facilities as well as putting money in the "minor" sports. Imagine what Bama, Lsu, Auburn, Ga, Fl and a few others will do with the extra money. They will sky rocket coaches salaries.

Of course, but there is a real diminishing return situation here.

$1 for us is more valuable than $1 for them because we have more things to do with it.

Furthermore, this money is separating us from non-SEC schools, increases our profile, & allows us to become more national with our recruiting.

There's absolutely nothing negative for MSU with this money & it actually narrows the gap between us & the blue bloods even though they are getting the same amount of money

basedog
12-24-2019, 01:00 PM
Yes and no, it really helps our University a whole like more. But in reality the salaries will always be in the "Blue Blood" favor.

Don't get me wrong, it's a win win for Msu and I'm all for it.

Man looking back over the years when I was at Msu and seeing all that has and is involving is amazing!

ShotgunDawg
12-24-2019, 01:02 PM
Yes and no, it really helps our University a whole like more. But in reality the salaries will always be in the "Blue Blood" favor.

Man looking back over the years when I was at Msu and seeing all that has and is involving is amazing!

But there are far more good football coaches out there than what the blue bloods can hire.

We should be able to many many of those good coaches.

HoopsDawg
12-24-2019, 01:04 PM

how many Yachts can they water-ski behind?

On another note, it's crazy that a former baseball coach is in charge of this kind of money.

WSOPdawg
12-24-2019, 01:15 PM

On another note, it's crazy that a former baseball coach is in charge of this kind of money.

Damn Hoops, I understand and agree with both of those points! :D

ShotgunDawg
12-24-2019, 01:22 PM

Great points

basedog
12-24-2019, 01:58 PM

Many***

AmiteDog
12-24-2019, 03:10 PM
We need to spend that $26MM at Lowe’s or Home Depot for metal to build a nice roof over Davis Wade.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-24-2019, 03:35 PM

We aren't THAT far behind what Clemson or OSU is paying. About 3M more for assistants and we'd be right at the current top of CFB for that, 2-3M more and it would be extremely difficult for non-SEC teams to poach our HC. That's just 5-6M total.

Yes SEC teams will up their money too, BUT we genuiny have a shit to be comparable to the blue bloods. At the very least we can poach whoever we want too from the Texas Techs or Michigan States of the world

basedog
12-24-2019, 04:47 PM
We aren't THAT far behind what Clemson or OSU is paying. About 3M more for assistants and we'd be right at the current top of CFB for that, 2-3M more and it would be extremely difficult for non-SEC teams to poach our HC. That's just 5-6M total.

Yes SEC teams will up their money too, BUT we genuiny have a shit to be comparable to the blue bloods. At the very least we can poach whoever we want too from the Texas Techs or Michigan States of the world

I can agree to what u are saying. We will definitely move up the "food chain" but never be in the upper half of the Sec. Regardless, our record against the Blue Bloods in the Sec want get a whole lot better, not saying we can't compete and win some, but never elite in the brutal Sec.
I like the fact it will help not only athletics but it will help our University. I'm trying not to be negative about the money, it's all good.

ShotgunDawg
12-24-2019, 05:16 PM
Good follow up article here by Travis

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/disney-abc-espn-steals-away-sec-game-of-the-week/

deadheaddawg
12-24-2019, 05:17 PM
They get richer. We get richer. We need the money a little bit more than they do so the gap may decrease by a small margin.

If they are currently going 100mph and we are going 70 mph.....they just accelerated to 105 and we are up to 80

It "helps" but really won't change anything against the blue bloods. It does also add more seperation between us and the non power 5

ShotgunDawg
12-24-2019, 05:24 PM
They get richer. We get richer. We need the money a little bit more than they do so the gap may decrease by a small margin.

If they are currently going 100mph and we are going 70 mph.....they just accelerated to 105 and we are up to 80

It "helps" but really won't change anything against the blue bloods. It does also add more seperation between us and the non power 5

- Adds separation for us vs other power 5s outside the SEC as well.
- Will also possibly make that 11:00 AM game a nationally televised game on ABC rather than just an SEC Network game. That makes playing at 11AM significantly more valuable to our brand.
- Lastly, that may allow for lesser games to be at night rather than 11

Coursesuper
12-25-2019, 11:32 AM
- Adds separation for us vs other power 5s outside the SEC as well.
- Will also possibly make that 11:00 AM game a nationally televised game on ABC rather than just an SEC Network game. That makes playing at 11AM significantly more valuable to our brand.
- Lastly, that may allow for lesser games to be at night rather than 11

Do you magically think that the 11:00 sec network game is going to not happen? All this does is put another 11:00 time slot in play for us. SEC net, ESPN, Duce and now ABC. So it’s more money which is good but the 11:00 game on the SEC net is here to stay.

RocketDawg
12-25-2019, 11:51 AM
Does the $23M (or whatever the number is) go to the school, or strictly to the athletic department?

msbulldog
12-25-2019, 12:09 PM
Damn this thread reminds me of a little kid with a Sears Christmas catalog years ago.

DLGDawg
12-25-2019, 12:32 PM
Of course, but there is a real diminishing return situation here.

$1 for us is more valuable than $1 for them because we have more things to do with it.

Furthermore, this money is separating us from non-SEC schools, increases our profile, & allows us to become more national with our recruiting.

There's absolutely nothing negative for MSU with this money & it actually narrows the gap between us & the blue bloods even though they are getting the same amount of money

I agree with you here. At some point you reach a level of rich that your net worth is irrelevant (kinda).

If I?m making $200,000 per year and my 4-5 rich neighbors are making $10mill per year, our life styles are going to be incredibly different.

If I?m making $30mill per year and my 4-5 richer friends are making $100mill per year, our lifestyles are going to be very similar.

ShotgunDawg
12-25-2019, 12:53 PM
Do you magically think that the 11:00 sec network game is going to not happen? All this does is put another 11:00 time slot in play for us. SEC net, ESPN, Duce and now ABC. So it’s more money which is good but the 11:00 game on the SEC net is here to stay.

Maybe, maybe not.

I can't see the SEC expanding the 11 package.