$350 mil/15 = $23 mil per school per year. Right now we receive $3 mil per

MSU Athletics can now build whatever it want

https://twitter.com/claytravis/status/1208818579182895104?s=21

vv83
12-22-2019, 03:57 PM
Can we please put a healthy amount Of this into full out recruiting resources

MetEdDawg
12-22-2019, 03:59 PM
When you add money like this, it makes us more able to compete. There's only so much you can do, so much you can build. Those of uis in the middle/back of the pack are helped greatly by this because we've got more ground to be made up. Bama, LSU, Auburn, Texas A&M, and Georgia can't really recruit much better.

But we can. Big day for us.

Political Hack
12-22-2019, 04:07 PM
A lot of that needs to go to academic scholarships IMO. Ole Miss offers a ton of kids in state college scholarships with full rides but State doesn't recruit academically like Ole Miss does. Recruiting, academically and athletically, has never been treated like a priority. Be nice to see that change.

Todd4State
12-22-2019, 04:11 PM
A lot of that needs to go to academic scholarships IMO. Ole Miss offers a ton of kids in state college scholarships with full rides but State doesn't recruit academically like Ole Miss does. Recruiting, academically and athletically, has never been treated like a priority. Be nice to see that change.

I assumed this all went to the athletic department?

MetEdDawg
12-22-2019, 04:12 PM

Could we possibly expand our athletic offerings? Men's soccer, gymnastics, swimming/diving?

Todd4State
12-22-2019, 04:14 PM
When you add money like this, it makes us more able to compete. There's only so much you can do, so much you can build. Those of uis in the middle/back of the pack are helped greatly by this because we've got more ground to be made up. Bama, LSU, Auburn, Texas A&M, and Georgia can't really recruit much better.

It does have a bigger impact on us because it increases our resources more percentage wise.

I'd like to see ABC do away with 11 AM games in September if not altogether.

Have less Finebaum on the SEC Network and replace the other 5-6 hours with replays of old games and stories about SEC players and coaches.

More night games in general.

Do away with divisions and go to a 3 permanent five rotating SEC format.

That's my wishlist.

cujo
12-22-2019, 04:28 PM
It does have a bigger impact on us because it increases our resources more percentage wise.

I'd like to see ABC do away with 11 AM games in September if not altogether.

Have less Finebaum on the SEC Network and replace the other 5-6 hours with replays of old games and stories about SEC players and coaches.

More night games in general.

Do away with divisions and go to a 3 permanent five rotating SEC format.

That's my wishlist.
Especially the 3 permanent 5 rotation

Lord McBuckethead
12-22-2019, 04:37 PM

It should be weighted like the draft. The less you win, the more money you make.

Todd4State
12-22-2019, 05:05 PM
It should be weighted like the draft. The less you win, the more money you make.

Don't give Cohen any ideas.

msbulldog
12-22-2019, 05:19 PM
If we went to 3 permanent, they'd probably give us Mississippi, LSU and Alabama,

Coach34
12-22-2019, 05:22 PM
11am games arent going anywhere- but they should be relegated to eastern time zone teams....but alas they wont.

Alot of this money will go toward non-revenue sports that suck money out of the program. We are at the bottom of the SEC in those types of sports.

This wont help us much within the SEC- but will help us stay ahead of the Memphis, La Tech's, Boston College, and Iowa State's of the world.

vv83
12-22-2019, 05:22 PM
If we went to 3 permanent, they'd probably give us Mississippi, LSU and Alabama,

Realistically I’d love ole miss Kentucky and either auburn/a&m

Todd4State
12-22-2019, 05:23 PM

Doubtful.

LSU would probably get Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Alabama.

Alabama would probably get Auburn, Tennessee, LSU.

Todd4State
12-22-2019, 05:24 PM
11am games arent going anywhere- but they should be relegated to eastern time zone teams....but alas they wont.

Alot of this money will go toward non-revenue sports that suck money out of the program. We are at the bottom of the SEC in those types of sports.

This wont help us much within the SEC- but will help us stay ahead of the Memphis, La Tech's, Boston College, and Iowa State's of the world.

Depends on the AD and what his goals are. We are already underspending as it is despite a large surplus.

Todd4State
12-22-2019, 05:24 PM
Realistically I’d love ole miss Kentucky and either auburn/a&m

That's likely what ours would be.

MedDawg
12-22-2019, 05:44 PM
$350 mil/15 = $23 mil per school per year. Right now we receive $3 mil per

MSU Athletics can now build whatever it want

https://twitter.com/claytravis/status/1208818579182895104?s=21

Let's buy us some baseball first rounders.

RougeDawg
12-22-2019, 05:48 PM
The no money excuse was BS before this. If Gelding Cohen uses it after a sub par football season next year, he needs to go too.

Cooterpoot
12-22-2019, 05:50 PM
We'll build a dome for baseball.

Jarius
12-22-2019, 05:50 PM
Could we possibly expand our athletic offerings? Men's soccer, gymnastics, swimming/diving?

Taking money away from the major sports is what that would do. No thanks. We already have a hard enough time competing in sports people care about.

Coach34
12-22-2019, 05:51 PM
The no money excuse was BS before this. If Gelding Cohen uses it after a sub par football season next year, he needs to go too.

Cohen's job is in no way tied to Moorhead. Not at all.

Liverpooldawg
12-22-2019, 05:58 PM

Yes we do.

RougeDawg
12-22-2019, 05:59 PM
Cohen's job is in no way tied to Moorhead. Not at all.

I don?t care what it?s tied to. After the way JC handled things at the end of this season, he should be on the hot seat. He basically burned some bridges with alumni and some of the media people, by going against what he initially told them. He lost a lot of credibility with both groups.

Political Hack
12-22-2019, 06:10 PM

That would be a great use of it too. It's crazy to me that we don't have a men's soccer team. Swim too.

Political Hack
12-22-2019, 06:12 PM
Taking money away from the major sports is what that would do. No thanks. We already have a hard enough time competing in sports people care about.

We already have facilities for both. It wouldn't be much to add men's teams.

7dawg
12-22-2019, 06:14 PM

State just offered my son $50k, and Ole Miss only offered $34k. In relation Tulane has offered $100K. Waiting to hear from several more in the spring.

TheLostDawg
12-22-2019, 06:59 PM
How about how Adidas us screwing us. That and the licensing company. We need to renew all these deals to a competitive price. Maybe wait until we are making a run in football but our baseball alone should bring us more money from Adidas. They are highway robbing us

Political Hack
12-22-2019, 08:13 PM
State just offered my son $50k, and Ole Miss only offered $34k. In relation Tulane has offered $100K. Waiting to hear from several more in the spring.

Family member was offered a full ride presidential scholly to ole miss, but couldn't get a full ride at state. He got a ride at Harvard instead and went there. The fact that a Mississippi kid got a ride to Harvard and couldn't even get a full ride at State is crazy. I just don't see us being very active recruiting top academic talent.

HoopsDawg
12-22-2019, 08:17 PM
How about how Adidas us screwing us. That and the licensing company. We need to renew all these deals to a competitive price. Maybe wait until we are making a run in football but our baseball alone should bring us more money from Adidas. They are highway robbing us

Isn't that contract running out soon?

Todd4State
12-22-2019, 08:18 PM
I don?t care what it?s tied to. After the way JC handled things at the end of this season, he should be on the hot seat. He basically burned some bridges with alumni and some of the media people, by going against what he initially told them. He lost a lot of credibility with both groups.

The thing is I'm sure the people that put Cohen in charge in the first place are going to protect him.

MLB just signed a licensing deal with Nike FWIW. Since we're a baseball school and all that.

I don't like several things Adidas has done to MSU. Especially baseball related.

TheLostDawg
12-22-2019, 09:09 PM
Yeah I agree. Strickland's excuse to extend them because of loyalty and let us get screwed twice was upsetting. We should have taken them to the back then. We were at our prime them. Had just recently come off playing for the national championship in baseball and had a good football team. If they don't pay us competitively, I hope we move on. I'd much rather be represented by an American company anyway

ShotgunDawg
12-22-2019, 09:11 PM
I’m sure we’ll use the money on things other than what the majority of MSU fans want

TheLostDawg
12-22-2019, 09:13 PM
Isn't that contract running out soon?

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/mississippi-state/2014/04/10/mississippi-state-announces-seven-year-deal-with-adidas/7565305/

Time for Cohen to show what he's made of. I think this is Cohen's biggest test.

Todd4State
12-22-2019, 09:45 PM
Yeah I agree. Strickland's excuse to extend them because of loyalty and let us get screwed twice was upsetting. We should have taken them to the back then. We were at our prime them. Had just recently come off playing for the national championship in baseball and had a good football team. If they don't pay us competitively, I hope we move on. I'd much rather be represented by an American company anyway

We should have dropped them after the F--- TSUN baseball jerseys. I don't like Ole Miss obviously but I certainly don't condone that kind of language on any jersey even if it is in reference to Ole Miss. The Adidas uniforms for the SEC Tournament in 2014 were even worse than the ones that Russell Athletic made for us during Polk II's era. There was supposed to be a video reveal of those jerseys being shown to the baseball team but it was never used because none of the players liked it and thought it looked awful.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/mississippi-state/2014/04/10/mississippi-state-announces-seven-year-deal-with-adidas/7565305/

Time for Cohen to show what he's made of. I think this is Cohen's biggest test.

If I was named AD of MSU one of the first things I would do would be to cut off Adidas and go back to Nike. I would instantly win over 60% of the fan base with that one move alone.

Cohen's biggest test is right now with the football program. If he doesn't make marked changes with gameday- it appears as if video is starting to pick up so that's a positive, and if Joe has another disappointing season and has to make a change the test will be whether he will have learned from has past failures and expands his coaching search footprint. He might do it. Might not.

Todd4State
12-22-2019, 09:46 PM
I’m sure we’ll use the money on things other than what the majority of MSU fans want

Like anything other than football recruiting, coaches salaries, S&C, and football facilities?**

Jarius
12-22-2019, 09:55 PM

It would cost us millions of dollars when you add in coaching salaries and road trips and recruiting budgets. We don't need that for programs no one is going to support.

gravedigger
12-22-2019, 11:23 PM

How do we differ from OM in the way we recruit academically?

HoopsDawg
12-22-2019, 11:26 PM

No thanks.

Political Hack
12-22-2019, 11:38 PM
It would cost us millions of dollars when you add in coaching salaries and road trips and recruiting budgets. We don't need that for programs no one is going to support.

Yeah. It's not free. But it's not $20 million either and it would provide more scholarships.

TheLostDawg
12-23-2019, 07:04 AM
How do we differ from OM in the way we recruit academically?

Ole Miss for one had a presence recruiting out of state. I know people who say they never heard of Mississippi State in high school but ole Miss came to their school's and recruiting them to come (academically/college day-or whatever it's called).
Like someone above said, Harvard offered a full ride to someone but not State. Our system is obviously broken. This is the problem when you continually promote from within. We don't have new ideas or see what other schools are doing day to day.

Jack Lambert
12-23-2019, 10:01 AM

How much does it cost to go to Tulane vs Miss State? Is the money comparable?

1bigdawg
12-23-2019, 11:59 AM
It has been shown that more football success generates greatly more contributions to both athletics and to the academic side of the university. Therefore, my first priority would be to focus funds on football.

The recruiting budget needs serious upgrading. We need better players to win more and to generate contributions to academics.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-23-2019, 12:31 PM
So were near the bottom of the SEC in athletic funding, and some of yall want to take the extra cash were getting specifically for SEC football and use it... on academics?

Hell, with this logic why not take out $86M athletic budget and drop it down to $63M to make 23M more academic scholarships? If you care more about academics than you do competing athletically that's fine. But say it, and state why we shouldnt just cannibalize our current budget too. We are barely competing now and giving every other SEC school $23M we don't use means we'd become Vandy.

I say use 10M on general facilities, 5M for FB salaries, 1M on football recruiting, and 7M to other programs recruiting/coaching budgets. We' be able to pay our FB HC 5M a year, pay 600k for an S&C cowch, and still increase all 10 assistants by about 300k each. No non-sec team would ever poach our assistants, and wed be able to give a raise to almost every non-SEC assistant. In other sports wed be able to make any coach that's worth it the highest paid in the country, and poach almost any assistant too. Facilities wise wed get all the smaller pet projects done in one year (things like an indoor practice facility), and the next year redo the M doub building, and the next 2-3 years redo the Hump.

Dawgology
12-23-2019, 02:45 PM
Price to play ball in teh SEC is about to go way up. I can see the average assistance coach for football starting to get paid in the 2 mil range after this money comes in.

Jack Lambert
12-23-2019, 02:52 PM
So were near the bottom of the SEC in athletic funding, and some of yall want to take the extra cash were getting specifically for SEC football and use it... on academics?

Hell, with this logic why not take out $86M athletic budget and drop it down to $63M to make 23M more academic scholarships? If you care more about academics than you do competing athletically that's fine. But say it, and state why we shouldnt just cannibalize our current budget too. We are barely competing now and giving every other SEC school $23M we don't use means we'd become Vandy.

I say use 10M on general facilities, 5M for FB salaries, 1M on football recruiting, and 7M to other programs recruiting/coaching budgets. We' be able to pay our FB HC 5M a year, pay 600k for an S&C cowch, and still increase all 10 assistants by about 300k each. No non-sec team would ever poach our assistants, and wed be able to give a raise to almost every non-SEC assistant. In other sports wed be able to make any coach that's worth it the highest paid in the country, and poach almost any assistant too. Facilities wise wed get all the smaller pet projects done in one year (things like an indoor practice facility), and the next year redo the M doub building, and the next 2-3 years redo the Hump.

In my humble opinion it is the Athletic department making the money they should keep.

TALL DAWG
12-23-2019, 02:58 PM
Price to play ball in teh SEC is about to go way up. I can see the average assistance coach for football starting to get paid in the 2 mil range after this money comes in.

I hope its a 10 or 15 yr contract.
Does anyone know?

And, IB needs to raise our FB recruiting budget to at least $1M, annually.
Where are we now, around $400k?

Maroonthirteen
12-23-2019, 03:05 PM
Yes we do.

I agree. State recruits with effort on the academic side. The mail my kids receive from State is nicer, more informative and personalized than that they have received from OM. True story.

Thick
12-23-2019, 03:38 PM

53% of OM?s enrollment is out of state students.

MedDawg
12-23-2019, 04:13 PM
State's endowment has grown by $250 million in the past 10-15 years. There should be more money for scholarships than before.

dantheman4248
12-23-2019, 04:54 PM
Scholarships to harvard are entirely need based while Mississippi State and others are a mix of need and merit.

Source: had eligibility for a full ride to any ivy league school and only had half of my scholarship paid by merit from MSU. Rest paid for by financial need.

If you get a full ride to harvard and not MSU you likely met the income criteria for harvard to administer aid but not MSU's threshold.

TheLostDawg
12-23-2019, 05:52 PM

Probably going to use it to give our directors a good raise and put the rest in the bank

gravedigger
12-23-2019, 06:37 PM
Ole Miss for one had a presence recruiting out of state. I know people who say they never heard of Mississippi State in high school but ole Miss came to their school's and recruiting them to come (academically/college day-or whatever it's called).
Like someone above said, Harvard offered a full ride to someone but not State. Our system is obviously broken. This is the problem when you continually promote from within. We don't have new ideas or see what other schools are doing day to day.

Username checks out

Homedawg
12-23-2019, 07:17 PM

Funny this is being said- just this weekend I heard some rebel legacies complain about ole miss' recruitment and all of their children didn't go to ole miss because they never heard from them. To go with ole miss enrollment is down and has less than 50% in state students, ill pass on their wonderful model.

TheLostDawg
12-23-2019, 07:24 PM
Funny this is being said- just this weekend I heard some rebel legacies complaint about ole miss' recruitment and all of their children didn't go to ole miss because they never heard from them. To go with ole miss enrollment is down and has less than 50% in state students, ill pass on their wonderful model.

I'm strictly talking about out of state recruiting. Obviously people in State have heard of us. We have>60% of our students being from in State which I love. I don't want that to change but I do wish that they would start recruiting better out of state. It might have changed. These people I talked with are older but again they had never heard of Mississippi State but had heard of Mississippi. Take it how you will. This is not a post about doing less in State. I wish that we'd do better at that as well.

Todd4State
12-23-2019, 08:37 PM
I'm strictly talking about out of state recruiting. Obviously people in State have heard of us. We have>60% of our students being from in State which I love. I don't want that to change but I do wish that they would start recruiting better out of state. It might have changed. These people I talked with are older but again they had never heard of Mississippi State but had heard of Mississippi. Take it how you will. This is not a post about doing less in State. I wish that we'd do better at that as well.

A lot of people think we are Mississippi. Not Ole Miss. Mississippi. Like they think Ole Miss is some private school and we're the dare I say flagship in Mississippi.

TheLostDawg
12-23-2019, 08:48 PM
A lot of people think we are Mississippi. Not Ole Miss. Mississippi. Like they think Ole Miss is some private school and we're the dare I say flagship in Mississippi.

Funny you say that. Someone told me a week ago that ole Miss is the flagship of the state. I asked them to explain why and all they could rattle off is that most of the money comes from them in the state. I imagine that they were referring to UMC.

Rex54
12-23-2019, 09:56 PM
Let’s be honest, higher education as we know it today is on its way out. You won’t see the “everyone goes to college” model beginning very soon because market forces eventually trump all. The 4 year degree in an incredibly high number of majors just isn’t warranted, and now over a trillion dollars of debt slavery has been unduly burdened on America’s youth.

7dawg
12-23-2019, 10:59 PM
How much does it cost to go to Tulane vs Miss State? Is the money comparable?

Tulane is $72K and State is roughly $25K...both with housing and meal plans. All scholarships we were offered was only merit based. Got an interview with Princeton coming up...Honestly hoping for Vandy or WashU...since they will be much closer to home. 100k to either of those will be very helpful as well.

Todd4State
12-24-2019, 12:19 AM
Funny you say that. Someone told me a week ago that ole Miss is the flagship of the state. I asked them to explain why and all they could rattle off is that most of the money comes from them in the state. I imagine that they were referring to UMC.

Probably referring to their graduates that are MD's and lawyers.

TheLostDawg
12-24-2019, 07:19 AM
Probably referring to their graduates that are MD's and lawyers.

Yeah but you'd be surprised the alumni that are from Mississippi State that go there. However most of them that I know don't pull for one much more than the other which is sad.

BrunswickDawg
12-24-2019, 08:27 AM

Both my kids were heavily recruited by MSU (one is now a JR at MSU, the other a FR at Valdosta St) - once they expressed interest in MSU. And that's the trick - MSU does not have the resources to recruit kids randomly out of state.

TheLostDawg
12-28-2019, 02:38 PM
Both my kids were heavily recruited by MSU (one is now a JR at MSU, the other a FR at Valdosta St) - once they expressed interest in MSU. And that's the trick - MSU does not have the resources to recruit kids randomly out of state.

Right and I think that is something we should work on. They seem to do really well in State and I hope that they continue to improve on that aspect as well.