PDA

View Full Version : SMU/FAU (Boca Raton Bowl)

RocketDawg
12-21-2019, 04:50 PM
Game is tied at 7 at the moment.

I didn't know that Willie Taggert had taken over at FAU. I was only halfway listening, but I believe the announcers, after the guy had interviewed Taggert, implied that Lane Kiffen had left behind some academic issues that Taggert would not tolerate.

MetEdDawg
12-21-2019, 05:12 PM

I didn't know that Willie Taggert had taken over at FAU. I was only halfway listening, but I believe the announcers, after the guy had interviewed Taggert, implied that Lane Kiffen had left behind some academic issues that Taggert would not tolerate.

Kiffen has basically been the same everywhere he's been. I really think this is going to be a disaster for OM. If you add potential academic issues on top of what we believe will be an increase in recruiting shenanigans, this could potentially be the end of OM.

I can't believe people on this board wanted Kiffen. Just watch the guy. I mean folks literally said him and no one else. Those people don't look very smart right now. I'll take Moorhead 100 times out of 100 based on early impressions. Kiffen looks like someone chopped his nuts off and he's got to live with that secret.

RocketDawg
12-21-2019, 05:38 PM
Kiffen has basically been the same everywhere he's been. I really think this is going to be a disaster for OM. If you add potential academic issues on top of what we believe will be an increase in recruiting shenanigans, this could potentially be the end of OM.

I can't believe people on this board wanted Kiffen. Just watch the guy. I mean folks literally said him and no one else. Those people don't look very smart right now. I'll take Moorhead 100 times out of 100 based on early impressions. Kiffen looks like someone chopped his nuts off and he's got to live with that secret.

Yes, that sounds about right, but I don't think it'll literally be the end of OM football. They'll just be set back farther into the weeds.

msstate7
12-21-2019, 05:45 PM
No idea how well kiffin will do at OM, but he was fantastic at FAU. FAU has 4 bowls in their history (2007, 2008, 2017, 2019), and 2 of those bowls are under kiffin. Fau's all time record is 99-139 (.434), and kiffin was 26-13 (.667) there; that means FAU was 73-126 (.367) before kiffin arrived. Fau was 9-27 the previous 3 seasons before kiffin arrived, and kiffin won 11 with a conference title in his first year. Kiffin won the conference again this year. Those 2 season win totals were 11 and 10; their previous top win season was 8 in 2007.

RocketDawg
12-21-2019, 06:45 PM
No idea how well kiffin will do at OM, but he was fantastic at FAU. FAU has 4 bowls in their history (2007, 2008, 2017, 2019), and 2 of those bowls are under kiffin. Fau's all time record is 99-139 (.434), and kiffin was 26-13 (.667) there; that means FAU was 73-126 (.367) before kiffin arrived. Fau was 9-27 the previous 3 seasons before kiffin arrived, and kiffin won 11 with a conference title in his first year. Kiffin won the conference again this year. Those 2 season win totals were 11 and 10; their previous top win season was 8 in 2007.

Looks like FAU is going to win this bowl game too against a pretty good SMU team.

Bubb Rubb
12-21-2019, 07:12 PM

There's no denying that Kiffin did pretty well at FAU. But when you consider the talent in the area, the ease with which you can recruit to Boca Raton, FL, the conference that they're in, and the large number of bowl games available now, I think anyone who's half-way competent can win enough there to go to a bowl game every year.

Liverpooldawg
12-21-2019, 07:13 PM

Kiffen sucked everywhere but there, in other words, everywhere he faced real opposition he sucked.

msstate7
12-21-2019, 07:29 PM
Kiffen sucked everywhere but there, in other words, everywhere he faced real opposition he sucked.

Tenn had a losing record year before he arrived, and he made a bowl his only year, barely. He did improve the team though from previous year.

At usc, he had a top 10 finish which has only happened 1 more time since he left. I certainly wouldn't say he did a great job there, but he had to deal with some of the ncaa issues Carroll left behind. I still think kiffin should've been better.

Kiffin did a good job at Bama. Kiffin did a good job at fau.

I'm really not sure what to expect out of him at OM, but I think they've certainly upgraded over Luke. I expect their "network" to give lane plenty of talent to work with starting next cycle.

RocketDawg
12-21-2019, 07:32 PM
It's hard to imagine Kiffen being happy very long in Oxford. He's a big city type, not rural small towns.

Cowbell
12-21-2019, 09:49 PM

And Moorehead is having to rebuild our culture and program*** taggert has his own issues to work on

msstate7
12-21-2019, 09:57 PM
It's hard to imagine Kiffen being happy very long in Oxford. He's a big city type, not rural small towns.

4 years tops... he'll either be successful and move on or fail and be fired

parabrave
12-21-2019, 10:00 PM
Yes, that sounds about right, but I don't think it'll literally be the end of OM football. They'll just be set back farther into the weeds.

Guys the days of NCAA recruiting violations for player Payments are over with. Hell even academic problems are over with unless you do it to yourself. Just don't buy hookers for the minors.