PDA

View Full Version : CBS out?

BrunswickDawg
12-20-2019, 08:15 PM
Interesting

msstate7
12-20-2019, 08:18 PM
If abc gets it, what time slot would be #1?

HoopsDawg
12-20-2019, 08:21 PM
we are expected to get a 20 million dollar raise with the new deal. Geesh.

Scared_Hitless
12-20-2019, 08:27 PM
SEC tried to strong arm them didn't work apparently. Interesting to see if we get the same money from abc/espn since they already foot the bill for the conference.

HoopsDawg
12-20-2019, 08:30 PM
SEC tried to strong arm them didn't work apparently. Interesting to see if we get the same money from abc/espn since they already foot the bill for the conference.

We will. Disney has all the money.

Hambone
12-20-2019, 08:56 PM
Does that mean no more Gary Danielson???

Hell, where do I send my donation?

Homedawg
12-20-2019, 08:58 PM
We will. Disney has all the money.

Except espn is taking a beating customer wise. The bubble on these contracts is going to pop.

HoopsDawg
12-20-2019, 09:06 PM
Except espn is taking a beating customer wise. The bubble on these contracts is going to pop.

As long as we ink this deal first it won't matter. They will probably start putting some games on ESPN+ and force everyone to get a sub.

RocketDawg
12-20-2019, 09:15 PM
As long as we ink this deal first it won't matter. They will probably start putting some games on ESPN+ and force everyone to get a sub.

That'll happen if they can legally get away with it.

Todd4State
12-20-2019, 09:15 PM
If abc gets it, what time slot would be #1?

Good question. 6 PM?

I'm not sure how much this will help with the day game issue to be honest with you. ESPN is happy to throw us out there at 11 AM every Saturday. I don't like CBS and how they handle the SEC so I'm OK with this regardless.

Hopefully it means the end of Gary Danielson. But ESPN will probably just hire him.

Anyway- the old 2:30 CBS game will probably be aired on ABC now either at 2:30 or 6 if I had to guess. That will probably be the biggest change. ESPN won't have to work with CBS though. That could help us in that they may be able to set the schedule out sooner like the NFL does.

Todd4State
12-20-2019, 09:17 PM
That'll happen if they can legally get away with it.

I'm not sure why they wouldn't be able to legally do that. Probably would have benefitted MSU if the Abeline Christian game was on ESPN+ or PPV.

Todd4State
12-20-2019, 09:18 PM

Their customers are still watching SEC football games. I don't see that changing anytime soon. And I'm sure ESPN would love to get the rights to the SEC Championship Game.

Bass Chaser
12-20-2019, 09:30 PM
Not surprising to me at all. There was already a rif when CBS declined to increase revenue when the SEC expanded.

bobtail bob
12-20-2019, 10:06 PM
Outside of two or three teams the rest of the conference has no chance to make a run and it?s really becoming predictable and kind of uninteresting to me as a fan.

HoopsDawg
12-20-2019, 10:22 PM
Outside of two or three teams the rest of the conference has no chance to make a run and it?s really becoming predictable and kind of uninteresting to me as a fan.

Exactly.

Bass Chaser
12-20-2019, 10:27 PM

I'm there as well. Same can be said for CFB.

Homedawg
12-20-2019, 10:29 PM
Their customers are still watching SEC football games. I don't see that changing anytime soon. And I'm sure ESPN would love to get the rights to the SEC Championship Game.
I'm sure they will. But if cbs has "said they are leaving negotiations" this early it won't benefit the league. Pretty easy to see w just one bidder the price isn't driven up nearly as much as he could have. We shall see. Either way I stand that the bubble will pop. When? Don't know.

defiantdog
12-20-2019, 11:14 PM

ESPN+ has already made a deal with the BIG 12 to add some of their games to their streaming service..... the SEC also does this through SEC Network+ (Yes, that's a thing). Disney knows that the SEC is the most watched division for college football (mainly Alabama, LSU, Georgia, and Auburn). Moving all games to ESPN would increase their footprint to viewers through the ESPN app (lots of cord cutters). ESPN is still worth $28 billion and have over 3 million subscribers to ESPN+. This is a good move for Disney to stronghold the most viewers in college football.

Homedawg
12-21-2019, 12:07 AM
Yes it's a good deal for espn, assuming that's how it goes. But having only one bidder in essence is a bad thing for the sec. I know it's a ways off. But potentially not the best news.

Todd4State
12-21-2019, 01:25 AM
Here's what is interesting to me:

The CBS deal will end in 2023. That's also the last year of the current schedule rotation. 2024 May have some MAJOR changes in the SEC. I think the SEC is going to eventually adopt the no divisions, 3 permanent and 5 rotating schedule but I would imagine that they are going to wait until the current rotation ends.

Someone on Twitter I thought had a GREAT idea- SEC Game of the Week at 8 PM. Basically adds night games to the SEC.

deadheaddawg
12-21-2019, 03:14 AM
How much is a subscription? $10 a month? I'll pay that to help the school get an extra few million. Plus I'd pay $10 a month to get it away from CBS

Think of it as a donation.

Apoplectic
12-21-2019, 08:17 AM
how about a 2pm, 5pm, and 8pm schedule? this would eliminate the 11am for sec except for bammer nonconf games and put the final nail in the coffin of the pac12

Coursesuper
12-21-2019, 02:05 PM

This is true. The model is eating itself.

BurgDawg
12-21-2019, 08:38 PM
Supposedly Apple is making at run at the Pac12 contract when it expires if larger streaming services start bidding things could get crazy.