PDA

View Full Version : No Brian Cole for Bowl Game

CovertDawg
12-20-2019, 06:26 PM
Opted not to play to focus on draft prep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DodhwsUa_Vg

bulldawg28
12-20-2019, 06:31 PM
Bad decision Cole.

HoopsDawg
12-20-2019, 06:33 PM
So no Dantzler, Smitherman, Cole or CJ Morgan. 4 Game 1 starters.

I guess we will go with:

CB: Emerson
CB: Tyler Williams
FS: Murphy
SS: Landrews
Nickel: Fred Peters

Then we have Jarian Jones, Preston, and Duncan.

WinningIsRelentless
12-20-2019, 06:48 PM
Bad decision Cole.

How? All the teams have enough film on him. The only unknowns are his measurables. So it?s better to get to work on those versus playing in a meaningless game and risk injury.

HoopsDawg
12-20-2019, 06:54 PM
How? All the teams have enough film on him. The only unknowns are his measurables. So it?s better to get to work on those versus playing in a meaningless game and risk injury.

I can't fault him, but if 5th rounders are sitting out bowl games it's time to expand the playoffs. Bowl games are at an all time meaningless level.

Dawgfan77
12-20-2019, 06:58 PM
I can't fault him, but if 5th rounders are sitting out bowl games it's time to expand the playoffs. Bowl games are at an all time meaningless level.

5th. Try FA.

Cooterpoot
12-20-2019, 07:03 PM
I'll be somewhat surprised if he's drafted. He should be playing.

msstate7
12-20-2019, 07:05 PM
I'll be somewhat surprised if he's drafted. He should be playing.

Remember when there was gonna be no drop from abram to cole?

bulldawg28
12-20-2019, 07:21 PM

He hasn't had "the game " all year. A month of preparation would have given him an edge to make plays and potentially some buzz going into the draft.

Cooterpoot
12-20-2019, 07:29 PM

Cole was very average and struggled in coverage. He might get drafted, but it's a toss up. He's not going to blow up the combine. He wasn't even as good as McLaurin who was a free agent. Speed is better but that's it.

HoopsDawg
12-20-2019, 07:31 PM
Cole was very average and struggled in coverage. He might get drafted, but it's a toss up. He's not going to blow up the combine. He wasn't even as good as McLaurin who was a free agent. Speed is better but that's it.

I agree with you. But part of that is our scheme. We play 3 safeties and one of them ends up having to cover a slot guy which I can't stand.

Cooterpoot
12-20-2019, 07:34 PM
I agree with you. But part of that is our scheme. We play 3 safeties and one of them ends up having to cover a slot guy which I can't stand.

Wasn't a problem last couple years. And he's got to cover at some point. Just shows a weakness in his game. He wasn't even great vs the run.

terradawg
12-20-2019, 07:55 PM
I understand the logic to save yourself for the draft, but the athlete didn't become a good player in a vacuum. They are cultivated by the the coaches and facilities provided by the MSU athletic program and supported by the MSU fans and students. Also, bowl games are not meaningless. It still counts as a win or a loss. So it pains me when a student athlete chooses not to contribute to the team...

KOdawg1
12-20-2019, 08:01 PM
Just get rid of bowl games other than the big ones and award 15 extra practices to the teams that win 6 or more. That's the most important part of being bowl eligible anyway. Kids who want to get ready for the draft can.

Bowl games are meaningless now

chef dixon
12-20-2019, 08:07 PM
It?s better for MSU too to play young guys anyway. I never understand why people get butthurt over a player who won?t be here next year not wanting to play a meaningless game

MetEdDawg
12-20-2019, 08:13 PM
It?s better for MSU too to play young guys anyway. I never understand why people get butthurt over a player who won?t be here next year not wanting to play a meaningless game

If that's the attitude then you have to be ok potentially finishing 6-7. Saying it's better to play young guys while a senior sits means you are ok with us potentially losing.

Are you ok with that?

Maroonthirteen
12-20-2019, 08:15 PM
I understand the decision.

Turn in your equipment. Hand over your card to the facility. Your spring semester will cost you $10,000 in tuition, books and housing.

Good luck at your combine.

chef dixon
12-20-2019, 08:18 PM
If that's the attitude then you have to be ok potentially finishing 6-7. Saying it's better to play young guys while a senior sits means you are ok with us potentially losing.

Are you ok with that?

Yea I am ok with that. It is an exhibition game. Has no bearing on how good we will be next year. No one besides MSU and Louisville fans will even remember we played the game.

TaleofTwoDogs
12-20-2019, 08:38 PM
Should be required in their scholarship document that they must participate in any post season bowl game as the scholarship is a one year deal not just as regular season.

OLJWales
12-20-2019, 08:43 PM
can the current coaching staff not participate too and let the ones who guided us to our last bowl victory take over? I mean hell, it's the same team we beat last time without their NFL QB. I think we'd be ahight.

Jarius
12-20-2019, 08:51 PM
I'm not butthurt over him not playing but he has been hurt for Most of his career and he probably won't even be drafted. He needs to put as much good film as he can on tape. I think it's a mistake on his part to not play for those reasons. I am excited to see Peters play some more though. He needs the reps anyway.

Homedawg
12-20-2019, 08:56 PM

Oh and rivers is at worst a second rounder...

smootness
12-20-2019, 09:00 PM

Turn in your equipment. Hand over your card to the facility. Your spring semester will cost you $10,000 in tuition, books and housing.

Yeah, that sounds like a smart approach...

West Tn Dawg
12-20-2019, 09:12 PM

But it's ok to skip our bowl but go play in the senior bowl? I don't think so! No way he should be allowed to skip our bowl and then go play in the Senior bowl!

We know Cam Dantzler is not playing in the bowl. Is anyone else you expect not to be available? “Yeah. This hasn’t come up in the past. (Safety) Brian Cole has opted not to play. So he’s going to begin his preparations for the daft and I believe he’s playing in the Senior Bowl if I’m not mistake. We have a bunch of guys playing in the Bowl.”

Dawgology
12-20-2019, 09:15 PM
This may be addition by subtraction.

HoopsDawg
12-20-2019, 09:16 PM
But it's ok to skip our bowl but go play in the senior bowl? I don't think so! No way he should be allowed to skip our bowl and then go play in the Senior bowl!

At best a bowl game is a reward. One last time to play with your teammates. At worst, it's a meaningless exhibition. And who knows, maybe Moorhead is covering for Cole in some way.

HoopsDawg
12-20-2019, 09:17 PM
This may be addition by subtraction.

I don't know about that. UL is a running team and Cole is good against the run. But it does give Fred Peters some quality game time that should help him next year. Safety is a concern in 2020.

Todd4State
12-20-2019, 09:22 PM
I don't know about that. UL is a running team and Cole is good against the run. But it does give Fred Peters some quality game time that should help him next year. Safety is a concern in 2020.

Actually could benefit us somewhat because it may cause us to play a true 4-3 and put Gay on the field more.

Rivers
Lovett/Pickering
Autry
Spencer

Leo
Errol
Gay

Emerson
Williams/Jones
Murphy
Landrews

I can roll with that group. And Peters has played much better lately.

Coach34
12-20-2019, 09:24 PM
Bowl game has always been a big deal when it got us that 9th win- but suddenly it isnt. Okkkkkk

Todd4State
12-20-2019, 09:25 PM
At best a bowl game is a reward. One last time to play with your teammates. At worst, it's a meaningless exhibition. And who knows, maybe Moorhead is covering for Cole in some way.

Technically most games are meaningless if we're all honest here. I'm not sure why some would feel like a bowl is somehow more meaningless than say Abeline Christian. Or K-State. But then again I've never understood why more football is a bad thing either. I'd guess the odds of getting hurt in a bowl are about the same as getting hurt in any other football game. Including the Senior Bowl.

I personally feel like if a school is giving you a scholarship to pay for your education the player is obligated to uphold their end of the deal and play/be able to play in all games that they are eligible and healthy for.

Maroonthirteen
12-20-2019, 09:27 PM
Bowl game has always been a big deal when it got us that 9th win- but suddenly it isnt. Okkkkkk

It will be a meaningful game for the fire Moorhead crowd if we lose.

confucius say
12-20-2019, 09:29 PM

Why do you say it is meaningless?

chef dixon
12-20-2019, 09:42 PM

Nah was just as meaningless last year. Maybe even more so considering our expectations.

Dawgface
12-20-2019, 11:02 PM

And all year the talk was about could we still get to a bowl game.....a 10th straight one. Makes no sense to say it's meaningless now. Hell if they are meaningless lets just do away with them except the playoffs.

HoopsDawg
12-20-2019, 11:19 PM
And all year the talk was about could we still get to a bowl game.....a 10th straight one. Makes no sense to say it's meaningless now. Hell if they are meaningless lets just do away with them except the playoffs.

Sounds good to me.

defiantdog
12-20-2019, 11:27 PM
So no Dantzler, Smitherman, Cole or CJ Morgan. 4 Game 1 starters.

I guess we will go with:

CB: Emerson
CB: Tyler Williams
FS: Murphy
SS: Landrews
Nickel: Fred Peters

Then we have Jarian Jones, Preston, and Duncan.

I'm good with this..... also, get Preston some reps as safety.

Todd4State
12-21-2019, 01:04 AM
Nah was just as meaningless last year. Maybe even more so considering our expectations.

It's pretty meaningful to Joe and Cohen. Right now it's basically a must win for them. I'm not saying that they'll get fired if we lose- but it will be like last year where all the momentum Joe built up from winning the Egg Bowl basically vanished after he lost the Outback Bowl. If he has another subpar season I'm not sure that winning the Egg Bowl would save him. The boosters will circle the wagons and drum up the support that they need to put him out.

Joe can't afford to have another Outback Bowl, K-State, and Tennessee performance this bowl season and next year.

Cooterpoot
12-21-2019, 06:35 AM
Should be required in their scholarship document that they must participate in any post season bowl game as the scholarship is a one year deal not just as regular season.

Nah, I don't agree with that. If they're a high round pick, I don't have a problem with them sitting. It sucks but that's their career and it's huge money. But Cole ain't that.

ShotgunDawg
12-21-2019, 08:07 AM
We can argue this both ways. At the end of the day, these guys all have to answer to their teammates.

However, sitting out bowl games is all the reason to get rid of them, expand the playoff, and doc scholarships to 70.

Bowl games suck. I like watching them because they?re football, but they suck and are meaningless. ditch them now

msstate7
12-21-2019, 08:23 AM
Get rid of them? You guys are crazy... last year, the gator, citrus, and music city earned 17.32 million. Just those 3 non-playoff bowl games earned miss state over 1 million (or close), and we didn't play in any of them.

Dawgface
12-21-2019, 08:43 AM
Get rid of them? You guys are crazy... last year, the gator, citrus, and music city earned 17.32 million. Just those 3 non-playoff bowl games earned miss state over 1 million (or close), and we didn't play in any of them.

Plus if they get rid of them and do expand the playoffs, they will never expand it enough to take in 7-5 teams. The MSU's of the world will be sitting home most years.

somebodyshotmypaw
12-21-2019, 08:48 AM
From a pure business standpoint, I wonder if Cole is on scholarship for the spring of 2020. It is very possible that he is not on scholarship or enrolled in school at all. If he isn't, then we lose the moral standpoint of "we pay you to play, so you should play."

Really Clark?
12-21-2019, 09:23 AM
From a pure business standpoint, I wonder if Cole is on scholarship for the spring of 2020. It is very possible that he is not on scholarship or enrolled in school at all. If he isn't, then we lose the moral standpoint of "we pay you to play, so you should play."

This is the bowl game for the 2019 season, of which he is on scholarship for.

somebodyshotmypaw
12-21-2019, 09:38 AM

Very true. But it is possible that when a player, or any student for that matter, takes their last final exam of the fall semester, that they leave Starkville for good. And you have no recourse such as "if you don't do this, we yank your scholarship."

gravedigger
12-21-2019, 09:47 AM
can the current coaching staff not participate too and let the ones who guided us to our last bowl victory take over? I mean hell, it's the same team we beat last time without their NFL QB. I think we'd be ahight.

Minus us having an NFL caliber defense. Or did you forget that?

TheLostDawg
12-21-2019, 10:03 AM

If they would only start doing this if pay for play gets going. Also it makes me mad that they don't play but for a bowl like this, I understand. I don't mind young guys getting experience. However if we went to playoffs or ny6 bowl, you better play.

Really Clark?
12-21-2019, 10:57 AM
Very true. But it is possible that when a player, or any student for that matter, takes their last final exam of the fall semester, that they leave Starkville for good. And you have no recourse such as "if you don't do this, we yank your scholarship."

Apples and oranges comparison but you could say that this is the final exam of the season...the last game is the final exam. By the same token, there is no recourse to stop a student from dropping out right before the finals either. But you were also talking about the moral standpoint with concerns of the following spring. We don?t lose any moral issue as this is part of the 2019 season and he has already received scholarship for this season.

Dawgtini
12-21-2019, 12:02 PM

This is the correct answer.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-21-2019, 12:08 PM
Man some of y'all are idiots. Take away his scholarship because he wont play in a low level bowl game? Have you thought for one second about how that looks to recruits and grad transfers? Have you thought about how Cole will probably be pissed off and thus less likely to donate if he did strike it big in the NFL?

Moreover, yall are active like these guys should take a bullet for State. The reality is 95% of recruiting is convincing the kid your school is the best bet for him. 95% of grad transfers leave and pick a new school based on what's best for them. These guys usually come from very poor families and even a sniff of the NFL would change their and their families lives.

Brian Cole 1) has a year of mediocre tape so 1 game of balling out is unlikely to move the needle much, 2) a long career of injuries, and 3) if he does get drafted it will be because of measurables far more than tape. In light of all that I agree with him that what's best for him is to skip the game. I see some in here saying "hed only be a late round pick anyway so he should play" as if 700k as a late round pick vs 0k if he gets injured in the bowl isnt a life changing difference.

Moreover, I hate this notion that a kid should be "grateful" we gave him a spot on the roster. We aren't running a charity- we took Cole because we thought he was the best we could do. He commited to us because he thought we were the best option he had. It's a free market business deal. I'd hate to be married to yall woth how entitled you sound. "What, you dont want to make dinner tonight because your foot hurts? YOU SHOULD FEEL LUCKY I GAVE YOU THE OPPORTINITY TO MARRY ME AND MAKE FOOD ANYWAY! Do it now or hand over the ring and get out!!!"

Coach34
12-21-2019, 12:18 PM
Have you thought about how Cole will probably be pissed off and thus less likely to donate if he did strike it big in the NFL?

Have we had an NFL Bulldog donate yet? I know we have from baseball and basketball- but hadnt heard of a football guy doing it yet?

BankerDog
12-21-2019, 12:25 PM
Have we had an NFL Bulldog donate yet? I know we have from baseball and basketball- but hadnt heard of a football guy doing it yet?

I had that exact conversation a few weeks back when someone was pissed about alumni needing to give more. What about the guys who played here? Dak, KJ, Gabe, Slay, Cox, Jones, David Stewart, Smoot, Harris, etc. were/are some of the top paid players and have yet to donate a single then.

We continue to fall behind because our liaison between former players and the school absolutely sucks.

Lord McBuckethead
12-21-2019, 03:55 PM

Shit, its played in 2019.

Coursesuper
12-21-2019, 07:57 PM
This has been known for over 3 weeks, he signed with an agent ASAP and thinks he’s on the way to a payday. Good luck dude.

TALL DAWG
12-21-2019, 09:00 PM

Surely to goodness some of our NFL guys have given back.
Some (the ones in their 2nd and 3rd contracts) could easily be giving $1M + annually at this point. Nice tax write off.

I wonder what other former star players at other SEC schools have given back.
Anyway someone on here who has more time than me can dive into this??

Coach34
12-21-2019, 09:14 PM

Have yet to hear of it happening- and our people would blast it if it had happened

CovertDawg
12-21-2019, 09:30 PM
Some (the ones in their 2nd and 3rd contracts) could easily be giving $1M + annually at this point. Nice tax write off.

I wonder what other former star players at other SEC schools have given back.
Anyway someone on here who has more time than me can dive into this??

Most of those guys are still in their 20s and in the accumulate phase of their life. If guys hit the age of 55 and have over 100 million in the bank and have not given back then I would be more concerned about it....and even then they might correctly decide that causes like fighting cancer and combating poverty deserve a majority of their time and money.

HoopsDawg
12-21-2019, 10:34 PM
Have yet to hear of it happening- and our people would blast it if it had happened

Most NFL guys end up broke.

Todd4State
12-22-2019, 12:17 AM
I had that exact conversation a few weeks back when someone was pissed about alumni needing to give more. What about the guys who played here? Dak, KJ, Gabe, Slay, Cox, Jones, David Stewart, Smoot, Harris, etc. were/are some of the top paid players and have yet to donate a single then.

We continue to fall behind because our liaison between former players and the school absolutely sucks.

I don't if they give money but at least a couple like to hang out. AD and Banks are front in center on that.

You would think that some of them would donate money back into the program.

bulldawg28
12-22-2019, 12:41 AM
Players do give back

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
12-22-2019, 06:38 AM
Players do give back

Yeah, to their high schools...

TheLostDawg
12-22-2019, 09:44 AM

I believe that it's this. We should do better reaching out and getting them involved. Dak makes 50m before contact. He always says how he loves MSU. Dak has gotten his family in commercials so it's not as if he's supporting them. I don't think we need to bug these guys about money but make them want to donate to us. Get them involved as much as possible. It's good seeing them come back but we need to figure out how to get them to throw a little back. I'm not sure what that is but I'm also not involved with this process. Anyone that says it's not possible or isn't sure how to hopefully isn't part of our athletic program. I'm not saying to donate millions but getting the ball started downhill would make a difference especially if they pinned the donation to football.

R2Dawg
12-22-2019, 09:44 AM
If Cole wants to sit fine. I think it is a mistake for him as he has a chance to show his skills again; it ain't like he is a top draft pick so don't really understand.

Him sitting though gets us one game closer with guys coming back next year to get real game experience in big atmosphere which is very good for a young team. It helps our team in long run.

R2Dawg
12-22-2019, 09:48 AM
I believe that it's this. We should do better reaching out and getting them involved. Dak makes 50m before contact. He always says how he loves MSU. Dak has gotten his family in commercials so it's not as if he's supporting them. I don't think we need to bug these guys about money but make them want to donate to us. Get them involved as much as possible. It's good seeing them come back but we need to figure out how to get them to throw a little back. I'm not sure what that is but I'm also not involved with this process. Anyone that says it's not possible or isn't sure how to hopefully isn't part of our athletic program. I'm not saying to donate millions but getting the ball started downhill would make a difference especially if they pinned the donation to football.

I agree to a point. We do get some who give back their time - AD, Banks, and others. We only have a handful that have made big money. We need their presence back in our program. The Dak football camp is a great example. We have plenty of stars in NFL, we need to capitalize more.

HancockCountyDog
12-22-2019, 10:28 AM
Why do you say it is meaningless?

It is meaningless to Brian's NFL future. Also, there is a clear downside, any injury and his draft prospects go from hopeful 4th - 7th round pick - to potentially UDFA.

Personally I think CJM is missing an opportunity here. He should take Dantzler, Hill and Cole and let them be team captains. Support their decision - praise all the time and effort they have poured into the MSU family. I would be out there selling how if you come to MSU and you have an NFL future, that the coach isn't going to risk that future for a Music City Bowl trophy and that you are going to use this opportunity to get more young bulldogs on the field that may start some buzz for next season.

A smart coach could spin this really well. I haven't seen a coach do this yet - but the coach that does will help himself on the recruiting trail.

TheLostDawg
12-22-2019, 02:16 PM
I agree to a point. We do get some who give back their time - AD, Banks, and others. We only have a handful that have made big money. We need their presence back in our program. The Dak football camp is a great example. We have plenty of stars in NFL, we need to capitalize more.

I forgot about the Dak camp. I wish that more would do something like that or attend.

TheLostDawg
12-22-2019, 02:18 PM
It is meaningless to Brian's NFL future. Also, there is a clear downside, any injury and his draft prospects go from hopeful 4th - 7th round pick - to potentially UDFA.

Personally I think CJM is missing an opportunity here. He should take Dantzler, Hill and Cole and let them be team captains. Support their decision - praise all the time and effort they have poured into the MSU family. I would be out there selling how if you come to MSU and you have an NFL future, that the coach isn't going to risk that future for a Music City Bowl trophy and that you are going to use this opportunity to get more young bulldogs on the field that may start some buzz for next season.

A smart coach could spin this really well. I haven't seen a coach do this yet - but the coach that does will help himself on the recruiting trail.

Good idea. Better than how Mullen did Robinson when he announced.
Also did many NFL guys attend our pro day this year like they did in the past?

Todd4State
12-22-2019, 02:21 PM
This is a simple fix with the football players donating. Basically all MSU has to do is put out an article saying Fletcher Cox donated this like we do with the baseball players.

confucius say
12-22-2019, 11:37 PM

Ok. Was not the egg bowl meaningless to Brian?s future too? Abilene Christian? Nothing he put on film in either of those was changing his draft prospects.

bulldawg28
12-23-2019, 04:58 AM
This is a simple fix with the football players donating. Basically all MSU has to do is put out an article saying Fletcher Cox donated this like we do with the baseball players.

All players do not want broadcasted what they've given. It's a different sport with a different culture.

BigDawgB
12-23-2019, 10:10 AM

Surely the AD office has asked you to float a rumor of donations by now.

BogeyGolfer
12-23-2019, 12:45 PM
Opted not to play to focus on draft prep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DodhwsUa_Vg

Good for him, I have no issue with this at all. The Music City bowl will not improve his draft status either way...We are supposed to be ok with coaches leaving for other schools but complain when a player makes a business decision?....Get over it....

Maroonthirteen
12-23-2019, 02:51 PM
The baseball program has put more players in the Pros than the football program. That probably explains why we hear more about baseball players giving back.

Earliest NFL Bulldogs I recall are Cooks, Haddix and Hull. I know Cooks has been around the program for years. I believe Hull went to all our games and gave. I have no idea on Haddix.

Later more successful NFL Bulldogs, I'm sure I'll miss one.... Walt Harris and Moulds. I don't know how much they come back.

Other than those few guys, I don't recall any Bulldogs making millions until the latest crop of Mullen guys (for lack of better term to define them). All the Mullen guys are too young to expect any significant donation at this time. Especially Dak. Dak is still under a rookie contract.

Maroonthirteen
12-23-2019, 02:57 PM
...We are supposed to be ok with coaches leaving for other schools but complain when a player makes a business decision?....Get over it....

Huh? The majority of state fans don't care for Mullen and Stricklin for leaving.... there's been much anger over assistants leaving.

TALL DAWG
12-24-2019, 08:19 PM
Ok. Was not the egg bowl meaningless to Brian?s future too? Abilene Christian? Nothing he put on film in either of those was changing his draft prospects.

EXACTLY!! BINGO!! Play the bowl game to help your team!
Look at our 3 1st rounders and 1 2nd rounder from last years team.
They ALL played in the Outback Bowl and...although we didn?t win...none
got hurt and all helped our team.