PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Wish list for MSU football....

HoopsDawg
12-20-2019, 01:42 PM
1. Eliminate divisions in the SEC
2. Reduce scholarships to 75
3. Expand the playoffs to 16
4. Raise the budget for assistant coaches both on and off the field
5. Sell beer at games for enjoyment and more revenue
6. Arrange a meeting between JoMo and Greg Roman to revamp offense
7. Find 4 more impact players for Feb. signing day

too much to ask?

timotheus
12-20-2019, 02:06 PM
Too much to ask. 7 is possible, maybe.

HoopsDawg
12-20-2019, 02:12 PM
Too much to ask. 7 is possible, maybe.

Did IYOK quit posting here? I would like to see his target list for our final 3-4 spots. Alex Adams, WR; Edge Cooper, LB; Dylan Spencer, OL. Who else?

BrunswickDawg
12-20-2019, 02:21 PM
Did IYOK quit posting here? I would like to see his target list for our final 3-4 spots. Alex Adams, WR; Edge Cooper, LB; Dylan Spencer, OL. Who else?

He must have been Chris Marve***

MaroonFlounder
12-20-2019, 04:19 PM

too much to ask?

I don't see 2 & 3 ever happening.

#4 needs to happen for asst coaches that deserve it. (Our ST and S&C coaches should get LESS money if they are retained)

#6. I don't know who Greg Roman is.

OLJWales
12-20-2019, 09:07 PM
# 3. I'm not sure I would like 16 as I think it would devalue premium regular season match ups that I think make college football's regular season the greatest in all of sports.

if we expanded to 8, I'd like it to be home sites for the 1st round in order to maintain integrity of the regular season.

HoopsDawg
12-20-2019, 09:11 PM
# 3. I'm not sure I would like 16 as I think it would devalue premium regular season match ups that I think make college football's regular season the greatest in all of sports.

if we expanded to 8, I'd like it to be home sites for the 1st round in order to maintain integrity of the regular season.

Imagine the drama of being the 8 seed vs the 9 seed so you can host on campus the first round game.

What about the battle for the 15 and 16 seeds.

The regular season is much more devalued now. That's what people don't seem to understand. It's devalued b/c 90% of college football is playing for nothing. Absolutely nothing.

The NFL has 32 teams and 12 make the playoffs. And Dallas sure as hell has an important regular season game this weekend. College football has 130 teams and only 4 make the playoffs. I used to think like you, but now that's over.

OLJWales
12-20-2019, 09:22 PM
Imagine the drama of being the 8 seed vs the 9 seed so you can host on campus the first round game.

What about the battle for the 15 and 16 seeds.

The regular season is much more devalued now. That's what people don't seem to understand. It's devalued b/c 90% of college football is playing for nothing. Absolutely nothing.

The NFL has 32 teams and 12 make the playoffs. And Dallas sure as hell has an important regular season game this weekend. College football has 130 teams and only 4 make the playoffs. I used to think like you, but now that's over.

I understand your points and they are well taken. I for one think things are WAY better now since we've at least got 4. I just think outside of the top 8, you have charity. The thing that is so special about college football's regular season is that in and of itself is a playoff. No other sport can claim that and I would like to see it remain intact.

I don't want to see losers of top 10 regular season match ups walk away with "we'll see you again in December". I want those games to remain important with national championship ramifications.

Schultzy
12-21-2019, 12:40 AM

too much to ask?

I agree on all except #6 bc I don’t know how he is.
But the rest are brilliant. #2 ain’t happening but I wish it would.
But add...
8. Find a friggin Wide Receiver

Todd4State
12-21-2019, 01:10 AM

too much to ask?

1. Agree. And go with three permanent opponents and rotate the other five.
2. Sure. Why not?
3. I like it the way it is. I wouldn't go beyond eight personally.
4. Should say Cohen needs to pay them more.
5. Why not?
6. Probably wouldn't hurt.
7. Need to fill needs. OL and LB are the two biggest right now. I'll be curious to see if our new LB coach has any connections. I suspect we'll take a flyer on Alex Adams and see if we can get him eligible for next year.

somebodyshotmypaw
12-21-2019, 08:52 AM
The ten pulled scholarships should go to baseball. Football goes from 85 to 75. Baseball goes from 11.7 to 21.7.

viverlibre
12-21-2019, 08:59 AM

Let me guess who they'd assign as our permanent opponents, Bama, TAMU and UGA (we would probably keep UK, but UAT and TAMU would happen...)? Of course, we'd take it without any complaint. I'd rather move us to the East and move Misery to the West.

gravedigger
12-21-2019, 09:04 AM
2. Sure. Why not?
3. I like it the way it is. I wouldn't go beyond eight personally.
4. Should say Cohen needs to pay them more.
5. Why not?
6. Probably wouldn't hurt.
7. Need to fill needs. OL and LB are the two biggest right now. I'll be curious to see if our new LB coach has any connections. I suspect we'll take a flyer on Alex Adams and see if we can get him eligible for next year.

1. Hate Divisions. Only helps our minds get around who qualifies for the SEC championship and even then it would be best if it were the best two records regardless of division.
2. Yup. But it will take another 10 years or more to see the effect of reduction of that amount.
3. 8 is the right number. What we should have are mandated P5 conference games beyond the 1 we play now. Have it bee randomly selected. Neutral site.
5. I would like to see a premium section for families who dont want to be mixed in with the drinking crowd. Special access in and out of the stadium. Very strict rules to access. Just something that respects non drinkers that give them a sense of safety for their family to enjoy the game.
6. Think time will fix this.
7. We need to continue what we are doing, but who we need is a personality like Dak or Saquan, or McSorley, or Boobie who is our emotional on the field leader that had big talent. A wide receiver who fits this bill would be nice.

Churchill
12-21-2019, 09:14 AM
Cohen and Croomhead leave in a package deal to where ever......

msstate7
12-21-2019, 09:17 AM
If you do away with divisions, you could do an nfl like schedule where if you were 1st this year, you will play a harder schedule next season. Schedule sec games in the offseason

msstate7
12-21-2019, 09:18 AM
I don't see 2 & 3 ever happening.

#4 needs to happen for asst coaches that deserve it. (Our ST and S&C coaches should get LESS money if they are retained)

#6. I don't know who Greg Roman is.

Familiarize yourself with Roman; he will be an nfl HC next season

gravedigger
12-21-2019, 10:00 AM
Cohen and Croomhead leave in a package deal to where ever......

Diaper rash cream. 3rd isle. CVS or BJ's Pharmacy if you live in starkville.

maroonmania
12-21-2019, 12:50 PM

I agree, and the round of 8 should be this weekend, 2 weeks after the conference championships at home sites. Would be a lot more interesting than the 3rd and 4th tier bowl games we get today.

DogsofAnarchy
12-21-2019, 01:10 PM

too much to ask?

None of those things are going to happen.

HoopsDawg
12-21-2019, 01:11 PM
I agree, and the round of 8 should be this weekend, 2 weeks after the conference championships at home sites. Would be a lot more interesting than the 3rd and 4th tier bowl games we get today.

Round of 8 will be the next step. It will be an improvement. It will still be nearly impossible for us to make the 8 unless scholarships are reduced.

Todd4State
12-21-2019, 04:36 PM
Let me guess who they'd assign as our permanent opponents, Bama, TAMU and UGA (we would probably keep UK, but UAT and TAMU would happen...)? Of course, we'd take it without any complaint. I'd rather move us to the East and move Misery to the West.

I'm not sure but I'm 99.9% sure Ole Miss will be one of our permanent opponents and about 85% sure Kentucky would be one of the other two. The third would probably be Auburn or Texas A&M. The good thing about the three permanent is you retain the current rivalries but at the same time you create some potentially new ones. Like I think we could have a rivalry with Tennessee similar to what we have now with Alabama, LSU, and Auburn. We would play Florida more too.

1. Hate Divisions. Only helps our minds get around who qualifies for the SEC championship and even then it would be best if it were the best two records regardless of division.
2. Yup. But it will take another 10 years or more to see the effect of reduction of that amount.
3. 8 is the right number. What we should have are mandated P5 conference games beyond the 1 we play now. Have it bee randomly selected. Neutral site.
5. I would like to see a premium section for families who dont want to be mixed in with the drinking crowd. Special access in and out of the stadium. Very strict rules to access. Just something that respects non drinkers that give them a sense of safety for their family to enjoy the game.
6. Think time will fix this.
7. We need to continue what we are doing, but who we need is a personality like Dak or Saquan, or McSorley, or Boobie who is our emotional on the field leader that had big talent. A wide receiver who fits this bill would be nice.

The premium family section sounds like a good idea. I'm sure that there may be a few of our fans that are worried about their safety- although there is probably a LOT of alcohol around them that they don't realize is there. But I think it could be a good area to focus on families that have small children too. It seems like every year I see a "Is my kid too young to take to a football game" post on the message boards. Having a section for people with young children where they can let children play, have baby changing stations, a playground, and etc. Shaded for younger children things like that would probably do pretty well. I'm sure there are fans that don't go to games because their children aren't old enough.

I think Garrett Shrader could be that personality in time. We'll see- he's just a freshman.

If you do away with divisions, you could do an nfl like schedule where if you were 1st this year, you will play a harder schedule next season. Schedule sec games in the offseason

The impression I get from the coaches is they want to give players the opportunity to play everyone in the SEC and play at every venue in four years. When I was a student I would have loved that set-up.

viverlibre
12-21-2019, 06:01 PM
I'm not sure but I'm 99.9% sure Ole Miss will be one of our permanent opponents and about 85% sure Kentucky would be one of the other two. The third would probably be Auburn or Texas A&M. The good thing about the three permanent is you retain the current rivalries but at the same time you create some potentially new ones. Like I think we could have a rivalry with Tennessee similar to what we have now with Alabama, LSU, and Auburn. We would play Florida more too.

I was just kidding, pointing out how we usually get screwed, but 100% Bama would have either us or UM as a perm opponent.

Todd4State
12-21-2019, 06:09 PM
I was just kidding, pointing out how we usually get screwed, but 100% Bama would have either us or UM as a perm opponent.

Bama would likely have Auburn, Tennessee, and possibly LSU.

RougeDawg
12-21-2019, 06:42 PM
My wish is for every single person in the Bryan Building to receive walking papers for Christmas gifts. If that happened, we might actually give a shit about being competitive in football.

HoopsDawg
12-21-2019, 08:13 PM
My wish is for every single person in the Bryan Building to receive walking papers for Christmas gifts. If that happened, we might actually give a shit about being competitive in football.

Keenum, Cohen, Brackey? Any others?

Maybe they realize we are never going to make the 4 team playoff. It only takes 6 wins to get to a bowl. So who cares if it's music city or gator. So let's save as much money as possible, stay in the black, and fund everything else. It's the Donald Sterling of the LA Clippers style of management. Florida Marlins in baseball.

Cowbell
12-21-2019, 10:10 PM
People in favor of reducing scholarships are thinking only about themselves. Think how many young men will lose lifetime opportunities.

HoopsDawg
12-21-2019, 10:32 PM
People in favor of reducing scholarships are thinking only about themselves. Think how many young men will lose lifetime opportunities.

It's not a charity. There will be less opportunities for lesser players in the Power 5 but they will still have opportunities at the lower levels. Could potentially open up more opportunities for athletes in other sports.

MedDawg
12-21-2019, 11:27 PM
It's not a charity. There will be less opportunities for lesser players in the Power 5 but they will still have opportunities at the lower levels. Could potentially open up more opportunities for athletes in other sports.

Yep. The bottom tier of P5 players will move down to to G5, but with improved parity more teams and players will get national exposure instead of just the top 4-6 teams now. The bottom tier of G5 players will move down to FCS, and so on. The bottomest tier of players won't get scholarships, but now you're talking players who can't play for Belhaven.

maroonmania
12-22-2019, 12:07 AM

Good grief, football doesn't need 85 scholarships to field teams. All 85 does is allow teams like Alabama extra schollys used to sign guys as 'tryouts' and then process players they don't want to keep long term but prevent them from going to other programs. As discussed, the scholarships would be reallocated to men's sports that are starved for scholarships like baseball. Right out of the gate it would make football a more competitive product and make college baseball a much higher quality product. You already have the situation that women's sports are given a ton of scholarships in minor sports to make up for the huge haul of scholarships men have in football. Heck, men can't even field a soccer team because they can't give out scholarships for it due to the glut of scholarships going to football. But regardless, if a university cutout 5 to 10 academic scholarships per year nobody would care or say a word.

Todd4State
12-22-2019, 12:12 AM
Keenum, Cohen, Brackey? Any others?

Maybe they realize we are never going to make the 4 team playoff. It only takes 6 wins to get to a bowl. So who cares if it's music city or gator. So let's save as much money as possible, stay in the black, and fund everything else. It's the Donald Sterling of the LA Clippers style of management. Florida Marlins in baseball.

The problem as I see it is right now MSU AD management thinks it's OK with the fans if we just go 6-6 and win the Egg Bowl when the reality I would say most fan expectations are wanting to move into the consistent 9-10 win territory. That's still not top four but it's also higher than what the AD perceived.

I wouldn't be surprised if MSU thought that after Moorhead's rant after the Egg Bowl that a lot of fans would come out and support Joe and how "he showed" those "bad fans." The reality is it actually created a lot of backlash and I think that was pretty eye opening for MSU. That's why we're already seeing a lot of things about the bowl being a "business trip". It wouldn't surprise me at all if we do end up seeing some major changes with football this offseason and next year. We've already seen a noticeable increase in video production which is a good thing. The recruiting video with the kid in it was probably the best that they have put out in a few years.

At a bare minimum I think it's pretty safe to assume that we're getting a new special teams coach and S&C coach.

R2Dawg
12-22-2019, 09:33 AM

Almost none of them are going pro so all that is on the line is college education. There are plenty of small schools that they can get scholarships for and get the PE education or liberal arts degrees which are worthless anyway. Plenty of other programs to get free college money; we don't have to mess up sports to do it.