PDA

View Full Version : Chris Marve

HailStateSZN19
12-19-2019, 06:45 PM
According to FSU?s 247 board, he is expected to be hired as their LB coach. Apparently he interviewed for it and has accepted the job. Definitely wasn?t someone I thought would be poached from us simply because our best LB was out 8 games and that position group didn?t necessarily stand out unless Willie was playing. I did want to see how he would do next year if Willie and Errol were both back. Not sure how to feel about recruiting wise either. We got Wheat but haven?t really done anything else and doesn?t sound all too promising with Cooper. This kinda surprised me but hopefully we go make a solid hire to replace him.

Leroy Jenkins
12-19-2019, 06:48 PM
Meh.

Homedawg
12-19-2019, 07:02 PM
Super meh.....

HailStateSZN19
12-19-2019, 07:07 PM
Any guys off the top of your head that you’d go after to replace him?

DogsofAnarchy
12-19-2019, 07:22 PM
Does this count as a Change?

KOdawg1
12-19-2019, 07:25 PM
He was alright. Doesn't hurt my feelings

TheLostDawg
12-19-2019, 07:27 PM
Ken Wilson

TheLostDawg
12-19-2019, 07:28 PM
Maybe try Sunseri. I'm sure Moorhead would like him since he's a northern guy.

TheLostDawg
12-19-2019, 07:31 PM
Chris Partridge and Chris Robinson are two others but we'd have to pay these guys to bring them over.

CovertDawg
12-19-2019, 07:39 PM
Would love for Jamar Chaney to be considered.

TheLostDawg
12-19-2019, 07:45 PM

It's a possibility with Moorhead. He's embraced Dixon so he obviously knows the value of having past players on board. Bringing Johnson in shows he recognized the value of have an in State presence. The only thing is do we think that he could coach these guys up? He would help recruiting in Mississippi but we saw this year that it only benefits us if the state produces top talent and we have seen how other states are coming in now taking some top recruits.
I think the only way he bring him in is if we think he can coach. Otherwise we are better off getting a good coach that is a good recruiter as well. I'd love Chaney to come if we have the recruiters to recruit outside Mississippi and Chaney can coach the guys up. I have no doubt Chaney could recruit well in State.

MetEdDawg
12-19-2019, 07:59 PM
He's currently the assistant director of high school relations at Florida.

So an off the field position. But an important position and he checks a lot of boxes. MSU guy. NFL LB. recruiting experience. High school HC.

He would be one you could take a flyer on for an on field position because of the types of boxes he checks.

Scared_Hitless
12-19-2019, 08:05 PM
I thought we regressed this season at LB. They talked up his coaching but it was not evident in on field results. I think Chaney should get a call but he is from Florida originally so he may feel at home.

Cooterpoot
12-19-2019, 08:14 PM
I didn't see anything special with Marve but our LBs didn't go backwards. Our DL and missing our top LB were our problems.

Irondawg
12-19-2019, 08:18 PM
Marve is one of those guys that is trying to climb the ladder like Huff so starting with working at blue bloods. At a school like MSU I think we need to focus on guys that aren’t trying to climb a rapid ladder - like Huff, Brewster, Marve - those guys don’t stay at a place like MSU long enough to help anything and we get hurt more by the instability.

We need to try and find solid coaches and recruiters who we think will stay at least a couple of years and are a fit for the school

Coach34
12-19-2019, 08:56 PM
I didn't see anything special with Marve but our LBs didn't go backwards. Our DL and missing our top LB were our problems.

This is the correct answer. I dont know anybody that thinks this will be a big loss- but he wasnt the reason we took a step back at LB. It was because as I told you before the season- we were losing Simmons and the rest of the DL. Mike Singletary wasnt the same LB after the Fridge, Dan Hampton, and the rest of that DL left or retired

Homedawg
12-19-2019, 09:13 PM
It's not a loss on the field or off. Move on.

klong-dog
12-19-2019, 09:14 PM
Have they (FSU) hired their DB coach yet?

fader2103
12-19-2019, 10:35 PM
I don't think so. I could see him Terrell Buckley leaving also. I think it's strange he hasn't tweeted out anything about signing day.

KOdawg1
12-19-2019, 10:37 PM
Go get Jamar Chaney

defiantdog
12-20-2019, 01:15 AM
Go get Jamar Chaney
Yes..... he would bring the passion back to the defense.

Lumpy Chucklelips
12-20-2019, 10:58 AM
Until we start paying SEC asst. coaches salaries you're going to have a revolving door with guys that have no ties to MSU or Mississippi. We say, meh, move on, we're not losing anything, he didn't recruit anybody....but when a guy is here less than a year it's kind of hard to build relationships in recruiting. The DL issue and Gay has been brought up as to why he didn't shine on the field. We've got to give these guys a chance to get their feet under them. Underpaying them is hampering that.

Homedawg
12-20-2019, 11:13 AM
While I understand the point of not paying our coaches enough. It's well taken, but he had been coaching just 3 years before he came here. Were we supposed to over pay him just in hopes of him not leaving??? He hadn't and still hasn't proven a thing. Baker, huff and hud left last year and they were our highest paid coaches. None, not one left Bc of money. Anyway, it's Moorehead who is setting salaries.... there is money for a larger pool. Honestly, who on this staff you'll you give a huge raise to???

MetEdDawg
12-20-2019, 11:23 AM
While I understand the point of not paying our coaches enough. It's well taken, but he had been coaching just 3 years before he came here. Were we supposed to over pay him just in hopes of him not leaving??? He hadn't and still hasn't proven a thing. Baker, huff and hud left last year and they were our highest paid coaches. None, not one left Bc of money. Anyway, it's Moorehead who is setting salaries.... there is money for a larger pool. Honestly, who on this staff you'll you give a huge raise to???

See that's the misconception. You're not giving out raises. You're setting a permanent bar to operate at. We haven't done that enough yet to make a noticeable different in hiring and retaining coaches. The standard pay for our assistant positions needs to be raised across the board no matter who is in the job.

You want better people? Increase your pay across the board and set a higher standard. So yes technically those currently employed would get raises. But it's not seen as a raise if it's a permanent structure set in place regardless of who you bring in. When you raise the floor like that you attract better people and change the perception of your program.

Our salaries fluctuate too much percentage wise based on performance. Programs we compete against give out $100,000 and $200,000 raises like it's nothing. At MSU, a $200,000 raise for an assistant would almost double some salaries. That needs to change.

HailStateSZN19
12-20-2019, 11:25 AM
Until we start paying SEC asst. coaches salaries you're going to have a revolving door with guys that have no ties to MSU or Mississippi. We say, meh, move on, we're not losing anything, he didn't recruit anybody....but when a guy is here less than a year it's kind of hard to build relationships in recruiting. The DL issue and Gay has been brought up as to why he didn't shine on the field. We've got to give these guys a chance to get their feet under them. Underpaying them is hampering that.

Straight facts. Look I don't know all the behind the scene specifics about how much we could pay and increase salaries and all that. But the consistent theme on every message board is we go cheap on the salary pool we give Joe to work with. Idk how much we're "in the black" each year that we're saving over & IDK if it's going somewhere else that is justified. All I know is exactly what you're saying is 100% correct.

According to USA Today, our salary pool for assistants is $3.68 million. That is 36th in the country. It doesn't show Vandy's on there so I'm not including them. But we're dead last in the SEC and we're $1,049,500 behind the next closest SEC team (Mizzou). Just some other P5 teams we're behind (& some of these may be justified, not sure how profitable some of these athletic depts. are) include Maryland (3.69 mil), Indiana (3.69 mil), NC State (3.7 mil), Arizona State (4.03 mil), Iowa State (4.2 mil), Iowa (4.7 mil), Oklahoma State (4.2 mil), UCLA (4.2 mil), UNC (4.1 mil), and Utah (4.14 mil). Maryland is a bottom feeder in the B10, Indiana/UCLA/UNC are "basketball schools" who probably don't put much emphasis on football success. The others I would think us being in the SEC would allow us to out-spend them or at least a few of them.

We're going to have to (*if we do have the ability to do so as far as how profitable our athletic dept. is versus how much we're unnecessarily saving over*) open up the damn checkbook more going forward on assistant coaches if we want to reel in assistants that will actually make a difference and win us some more games & to keep those assistants from looking to bolt at the first good job offer they get.

ETA: I'm not sure how much we could raise that number up from $3.68 mil but $4.7 is where Mizzou is at and they're the lowest for assistant salary pool aside from us. So could we at least get up to where they're at?

gtowndawg
12-20-2019, 11:50 AM
I had lunch with a former Miss. State athlete a couple of weeks ago (not saying what sport). He's personally spoken to Cohen a couple of times in the last couple of years. He said Cohen told him (paraphrasing), "we don't pay coaches based on projections (how good they might be) only on performance." Meaning, if you are really good, we will pay what it takes to keep you. But we are not going to overpay until we know you are a really good coach. So we're 100% reliant on finding the up and comers or the ones nobody really cares to have.

Bottom line, yes, Cohen is cheap and it hurts our ability to attract and retain top coaches.

MedDawg
12-20-2019, 01:51 PM
I'm pretty sure we are paying Shoop a competitive salary, which means it's even worse than it looks for the other assistants.

StarkVegasSteve
12-20-2019, 01:55 PM
Seems like some of the former players want us to hire Jamar Chaney. I'm not against it, I just worry if he's ready. He's never even been a position coach at the collegiate level.

biggun
12-20-2019, 01:57 PM
According to FSU?s 247 board, he is expected to be hired as their LB coach. Apparently he interviewed for it and has accepted the job. Definitely wasn?t someone I thought would be poached from us simply because our best LB was out 8 games and that position group didn?t necessarily stand out unless Willie was playing. I did want to see how he would do next year if Willie and Errol were both back. Not sure how to feel about recruiting wise either. We got Wheat but haven?t really done anything else and doesn?t sound all too promising with Cooper. This kinda surprised me but hopefully we go make a solid hire to replace him.

Errol is back, he has no choice

HoopsDawg
12-20-2019, 01:58 PM

LOL, no one wants to start paying Terry Richardson more money just for the hell of it. We want Cohen and JoMo to go out and offer a proven, respected S&C coach 500K. We have a LB job open now. Go out and find a great recruiter with ties to Louisiana, GA, MS or AL and pay him whatever it takes.

defiantdog
12-20-2019, 02:56 PM
Seems like some of the former players want us to hire Jamar Chaney. I'm not against it, I just worry if he's ready. He's never even been a position coach at the collegiate level.

He'd only be teaching the players what Shoop and Morehead want out of the position. A position coach doesn't come in and reinvent the wheel.

Homedawg
12-20-2019, 03:09 PM
LOL, no one wants to start paying Terry Richardson more money just for the hell of it. We want Cohen and JoMo to go out and offer a proven, respected S&C coach 500K. We have a LB job open now. Go out and find a great recruiter with ties to Louisiana, GA, MS or AL and pay him whatever it takes.

And JoMo can do that..... IF he chooses. Again, this is HIS staff, and his pool of money, he isn't being held back because we don't have the money. And for the last time, we can go hire whoever for s/c and pay him whatever, but if JOMO won't let the guy do his job is doesn't make a damn.

HoopsDawg
12-20-2019, 03:11 PM
And JoMo can do that..... IF he chooses. Again, this is HIS staff, and his pool of money, he isn't being held back because we don't have the money. And for the last time, we can go hire whoever for s/c and pay him whatever, but if JOMO won't let the guy do his job is doesn't make a damn.

What does that even mean? What football coach wouldn't let his S&C do his job and why?

NCDawg
12-20-2019, 03:24 PM

Somewhat similar to why we didn't hire Orgeron when he was unemployed. People said he hadn't ever been a Defensive Coordinator so he wouldn't know what to do. Didn't matter whether he could recruit or not.

Brahmabull
12-20-2019, 03:48 PM
What does that even mean? What football coach wouldn't let his S&C do his job and why?

Joe

Irondawg
12-20-2019, 04:00 PM
He'd only be teaching the players what Shoop and Morehead want out of the position. A position coach doesn't come in and reinvent the wheel.

This.

He’s played in the NFL so he’s seen different coaching tactics. You interview him and then decide but assuming he has passion and can show he can explain a concept correctly then we should strongly consider him

Scared_Hitless
12-20-2019, 05:38 PM
Joe

Just more made up garbage. With Piroli we looked great now with Bichey we look bad. Its not Joe we hired from within and it isnt working out.

Shoop and others have said Joe lets Coaches work and do their job he isnt the reason our S&C was bad.

Todd4State
12-20-2019, 05:41 PM
Just more made up garbage. With Piroli we looked great now with Bichey we look bad. Its not Joe we hired from within and it isnt working out.

Shoop and others have said Joe lets Coaches work and do their job he isnt the reason our S&C was bad.

He could be micromanaging S&C because Bichy isn't any good. At least that's my hope.

MafiaDawg
12-20-2019, 06:07 PM
What has jamar chaney done to even deserve to be mentioned? This is not time for on the job training. So he coached high school? Played football? Big 17ing deal. . This is the SEC. get real please.

Goldendawg
12-20-2019, 06:27 PM
What has jamar chaney done to even deserve to be mentioned? This is not time for on the job training. So he coached high school? Played football? Big 17ing deal. . This is the SEC. get real please.

Look, I just came in today after pounding my quota of sand and kicking the required amount of daily rocks and joined this thread, I couldn't help but reply to your quote. Isn't Jo an on the job training SEC HC in year three? Forgive me for thinking such a thing, as I am only from the Class of '77 and the family has only been in the Bulldog Club and season ticket holders for 50 plus years. I know that it is no longer my school, university, or team. Hail State anyway! I know we and our money no longer count.

KOdawg1
12-20-2019, 06:30 PM
Lol

HoopsDawg
12-20-2019, 06:45 PM

Let's hire McKinnely Jackson's dad or uncle.

MafiaDawg
12-20-2019, 06:53 PM
Sorry I just think coaching college football at some level (on the field) should be a prerequisite before coaching in the hardest division in college football. Also while I am not the biggest fan of joe, if I have to explain to anyone how his resume and jamars are different then I can not help you.

Goldendawg
12-20-2019, 07:01 PM
Sorry I just think coaching college football at some level (on the field) should be a prerequisite before coaching in the hardest division in college football. Also while I am not the biggest fan of joe, if I have to explain to anyone how his resume and jamars are different then I can not help you.

So Jo qualifies???? I played and coached intramural (sp?) flag football at State, 1975 - 1977. Where do I send my application?

Homedawg
12-20-2019, 07:08 PM

Believe what you want. That's fine. How didn't let peroli do it exactly how he wanted it. But he had more leeway Bc of rep. But not surprised it was called bullshit. Typical. I brought info that's solid, I don't give two flying ***** of you believe it or not. Up to whoever.

HoopsDawg
12-20-2019, 07:14 PM
Believe what you want. That's fine. How didn't let peroli do it exactly how he wanted it. But he had more leeway Bc of rep. But not surprised it was called bullshit. Typical. I brought info that's solid, I don't give two flying ***** of you believe it or not. Up to whoever.

You are a very defensive poster. I don't want to believe it b/c that's awful if true. I mean really, really stupid.

Cooterpoot
12-20-2019, 07:39 PM

You obviously don't know him or you'd understand.

KOdawg1
12-20-2019, 07:49 PM
You are a very defensive poster. I don't want to believe it b/c that's awful if true. I mean really, really stupid.
I've found that Homedawg knows what he's talking about more times than not

MafiaDawg
12-20-2019, 07:56 PM
There are some morons on here. If he was not an alum no one would think he was remotely qualified. Therefore he is not qualified. If it were up to you goons we would have boobie at rbs. Bump at wrs. Jamar at Lbs. pork chop at OL and rocky would still be at the helm, for no other reason than the fact that they went here. If he wants to be the coach, go be a college coach somewhere and build a resume.

KOdawg1
12-20-2019, 07:58 PM
There are some morons on here. If he was not an alum no one would think he was remotely qualified. Therefore he is not qualified. If it were up to you goons we would have boobie at rbs. Bump at wrs. Jamar at Lbs. pork chop at OL and rocky would still be at the helm, for no other reason than the fact that they went here. If he wants to be the coach, go be a college coach somewhere and build a resume.
Again I say...lol

Homedawg
12-20-2019, 09:02 PM

Not sure how that's defensive. I stated something that I have multiple sources on. You don't believe it. Cool..... whatever. Fine w me. Doesn't hurt my feelings one bit. My skin is super thick. Trust me. But, I try to avoid at all cost posting something that I don't believe is HIGHLY HIGHLY credible. I often don't post stuff I know bc there is at least some doubt. In this case there is None.

HoopsDawg
12-20-2019, 09:06 PM
Not sure how that's defensive. I stated something that I have multiple sources on. You don't believe it. Cool..... whatever. Fine w me. Doesn't hurt my feelings one bit. My skin is super thick. Trust me. But, I try to avoid at all cost posting something that I don't believe is HIGHLY HIGHLY credible. I often don't post stuff I know bc there is at least some doubt. In this case there is None.

I don't want to believe. Sheesh why on earth would Moorhead interfere with the Strength and Conditioning coach. Intermittent fasting doesn't make you an expert.

CovertDawg
12-22-2019, 12:44 PM
Another name as a possibility for linebacker coach would be Jeff Koonz ...Inside LB Coach at Ole Miss this season and his dad is head coach at Holmes CC.

Dawgfan77
12-22-2019, 01:07 PM
Look for Todd Orlando to get some traction

Todd4State
12-22-2019, 01:12 PM
It could be tricky to find a linebacker coach with experience because a lot of them are sitting DC.

CovertDawg
12-22-2019, 01:39 PM
I see Orlando and Joe went to the same high school. Interesting. Orlando could presumably be a defensive coordinator again somewhere next year but Mississippi State does have an excellent track record with fired Texas defensive coordinators and rehabilitating their career.

Todd4State
12-22-2019, 02:07 PM
I see Orlando and Joe went to the same high school. Interesting. Orlando could presumably be a defensive coordinator again somewhere next year but Mississippi State does have an excellent track record with fired Texas defensive coordinators and rehabilitating their career.

It makes sense because he could rehab his career here and get another DC job.

HailStateSZN19
12-22-2019, 03:27 PM
Look for Todd Orlando to get some traction

That?d be a good hire if we could make it happen. I?d consider that a definite upgrade if we were to pull him.

Todd4State
12-22-2019, 05:08 PM
I don't want to believe. Sheesh why on earth would Moorhead interfere with the Strength and Conditioning coach. Intermittent fasting doesn't make you an expert.

Because like I said- if you don't trust someone a natural reaction is to micromanage. If he didn't do that or didn't do it as much with Piroli it lends creedance to my thought on that. It also probably means we're getting a new S&C coach. It's no different than Dan micromanaging DC's until he found Grantham.