PDA

View Full Version : Geoff Collins

TheLostDawg
12-18-2019, 11:13 PM
Has gotten Georgia tech to#24 recruiting ranking. Good for him. I hope he finds a way to play and whip Mullen

msstate7
12-18-2019, 11:17 PM
One leaves us for Florida, and we wish him the best. The other leaves us for Florida, and we wish ill will on him. Weird

TheLostDawg
12-18-2019, 11:24 PM
One leaves us for Florida, and we wish him the best. The other leaves us for Florida, and we wish ill will on him. Weird

One ran the other one off. One wasn't our HC. One wasn't arrogant. One gave us 100% in every aspect of the game. One... You get the picture

Cooterpoot
12-18-2019, 11:30 PM
One ran the other one off. One wasn't our HC. One wasn't arrogant. One gave us 100% in every aspect of the game. One... You get the picture

Collins should have been run off for that 1B bullshit. It cost us. And he chose to leave. Mullen didn't fire him. I wouldn't spit on Collins if he was on fire. He did the same thing people hate Mullen for. And he hung us out at the Orange Bowl and Egg Bowl.

Gutter Cobreh
12-18-2019, 11:32 PM

Well, they both made lateral moves and both dress like they're 14 year olds....

https://twitter.com/__goldblooded20/status/1207263882215141376?s=21

TheLostDawg
12-18-2019, 11:34 PM
Collins should have been run off for that 1B bullshit. It cost us. And he chose to leave. Mullen didn't fire him. I wouldn't spit on Collins if he was on fire. He did the same thing people hate Mullen for. And he hung us out at the Orange Bowl and Egg Bowl.

Haha forgot about that 1b thing. You're right, that was terrible. I wouldn't coach for a guy that chewed me out in front of everyone like Mullen did to him after the ole Miss game so as much as it makes me mad that he left after that, I understand it.
I just don't see how he's recruiting so well at GT. Do they have a lot of bag men that they just haven't utilized until recently?

Homedawg
12-18-2019, 11:47 PM

Do what?? Dan ran him off?? Wow.... either way. Manny had a good class at Miami today. He left us twice. Don't blame him for either. Hope he does well too.

Todd4State
12-19-2019, 12:36 AM
I remember Collins catching some flak for his "lateral move".

Which is hilarious coming from Dan since he made the exact same lateral move three years later.

Schultzy
12-19-2019, 01:01 AM
Both failed to coach the 2014 egg for a chance to participate in the first ever playoff.

I don't care if you have one foot out the door and think you're leaving but at least have enough integrity to finish the job you're at.

dantheman4248
12-19-2019, 02:22 AM
Haha forgot about that 1b thing. You're right, that was terrible. I wouldn't coach for a guy that chewed me out in front of everyone like Mullen did to him after the ole Miss game so as much as it makes me mad that he left after that, I understand it.
I just don't see how he's recruiting so well at GT. Do they have a lot of bag men that they just haven't utilized until recently?

You've got it backwards. Part of that ass chewing was because Collins had already mailed it in. He was already out the door. That ass chewing didn't affect that decision.

And Georgia / Atlanta metro has plenty of talent. Couple that with plenty of playing time opportunities and it's not a hard sell.

bulldawg28
12-19-2019, 04:06 AM
Has gotten Georgia tech to#24 recruiting ranking. Good for him. I hope he finds a way to play and whip Mullen

GT couldn't beat Florida if they spotted them 3 TD's.

StateDawg44
12-19-2019, 08:38 AM
Well, they both made lateral moves and both dress like they're 14 year olds....

Yeah.... going 10-2 back to back years is a lateral move.

I'm not a Mullen defender but if it makes you feel better to think to go from MSU to UF is a lateral move then the joke is on you.

BrunswickDawg
12-19-2019, 08:42 AM

Short answer is recruiting to the hip-hop cultural center of the south is not hard if you actually try. O'Leary had a Top 20 class in 2000, even Chan Gailey landed one in 2007. Paul Johnson hated recruiting more than Mullen and Hev.

Longer answer is that GT has a very powerful alumni base in corporate Atlanta. Until they left the SEC, they were the football power in GA, and there are still a number of people in powerful places that remember that and want to get back some of that. They also have a new university President that I think recognizes that to be competitive, GT has to be about more than engineering and that the growth of GA State (now the largest university in GA) has hurt them. This will be an interesting one to watch - especially with the potential for endorsements, etc coming down the pipe. They won't become Bama, but they could challenge the ACC structure easily.

StateDawg44
12-19-2019, 08:46 AM
Short answer is recruiting to the hip-hop cultural center of the south is not hard if you actually try. O'Leary had a Top 20 class in 2000, even Chan Gailey landed one in 2007. Paul Johnson hated recruiting more than Mullen and Hev.

Longer answer is that GT has a very powerful alumni base in corporate Atlanta. Until they left the SEC, they were the football power in GA, and there are still a number of people in powerful places that remember that and want to get back some of that. They also have a new university President that I think recognizes that to be competitive, GT has to be about more than engineering and that the growth of GA State (now the largest university in GA) has hurt them. This will be an interesting one to watch - especially with the potential for endorsements, etc coming down the pipe. They won't become Bama, but they could challenge the ACC structure easily.

Good, somebody needs to do it.

BrunswickDawg
12-19-2019, 08:49 AM

Keep this in mind too - UGA signed 3 players from GA yesterday. 3. With UGA moving to a national recruiting model, more GA talent is available to GT (GT got 12 GA kids yesterday) and is the highest profile D1 school available if they want to play in state.

Martianlander
12-19-2019, 08:57 AM
Both failed to coach the 2014 egg for a chance to participate in the first ever playoff.

I don't care if you have one foot out the door and think you're leaving but at least have enough integrity to finish the job you're at.

Correct-rep given!

dawgday166
12-19-2019, 09:15 AM
Keep this in mind too - UGA signed 3 players from GA yesterday. 3. With UGA moving to a national recruiting model, more GA talent is available to GT (GT got 12 GA kids yesterday) and is the highest profile D1 school available if they want to play in state.

I count 4 but didn't realize it was so few. Kirby screwing up letting that happen. There were 37 4* or better players in Ga. Bama, AU, LSU & Clemson wore Ga out in it's own state. Kirby shouldn't ever let that happen.

dawgday166
12-19-2019, 09:25 AM
You've got it backwards. Part of that ass chewing was because Collins had already mailed it in. He was already out the door. That ass chewing didn't affect that decision.

And Georgia / Atlanta metro has plenty of talent. Couple that with plenty of playing time opportunities and it's not a hard sell.

Naw ... you got it wrong. Dan was the one with half a foot out the door and shopping himself. The whole team wasn't prepared. Then Collins lost his starting safety before Egg Bowl and the backup went down with ACL early in the game. That's why Ingram tore us up down the middle. On the long run by OM scat back, he was surrounded by like 7 or 8 of our guys and all of them slacked up waiting for one of the others to make the tackle looked like to me. And he exploded through all of them for the 96 yarder.

Collins got the offer from McE after the post-game presser where Dan blamed him for the loss. But Dan didn't have his offense ready either. One of my main criticisms of Dan (which aren't many anymore) is before Grantham, he'd chew the DC or the D out but never took the blame when he O wasn't performing like it should.

Collins is a good coach IMO. Had two top 10 Ds at FL (8 and 5). The 1B stuff ... most of the stats against us that year were garbage time when we had big leads. And we exploded out to a lot of big leads that year. But that D could clamp down when it wanted to. Only gave up 323 to a Bama O in TTown that was averaging around 600/game when playing in TTown. All while the O put them deep in the hole several times to start the game. Cooper had like 8 or 9 catches for 85 or so yards, with one of those being a 50 yarder (the only long completion of that game). The D didn't play well in EB or Orange Bowl either.

BrunswickDawg
12-19-2019, 10:01 AM
I count 4 but didn't realize it was so few. Kirby screwing up letting that happen. There were 37 4* or better players in Ga. Bama, AU, LSU & Clemson wore Ga out in it's own state. Kirby shouldn't ever let that happen.

Yeah, I missed 1. And they have 1 more committed. Still, 5 GA kids is almost criminal. I get it's the #4 rated class, but I think it's not going to play well in-state and when push comes to shove may hurt UGA longer term. When Clemson and AU start whipping you with your own kids, UGA Fan will go ballistic. AU signed 8 of the GA top 50

Ari Gold
12-19-2019, 10:13 AM

If For whatever reason We are Looking for a new HC after next year , GC would for sure be on my short list if not number 1
He checks basically every box for what everyone says we want and need in a coach.

dawgday166
12-19-2019, 10:17 AM
If For whatever reason We are Looking for a new HC after next year , GC would for sure be on my short list if not number 1
He checks basically every box for what everyone says we want and need in a coach.

I like him. Like what he did at Temple. He's a very good motivator too. We could do a whole lot worse IMO.

FISHDAWG
12-19-2019, 10:20 AM

I'm on board with that ... Can't blame Collins for not wanting to work for Don ..., no DC wanted to - not even Grantham tho he followed him to Florida and I think he waited to see if we were offering him a shot at HC here before accepting Mullen's offer down there ..... bottom line is Collins is a good coach and recruiter - GA Tech has much higher entry standards than a lot of other schools so apparently he's recruiting smarter guys as well

msstate7
12-19-2019, 10:20 AM

I like him too. Not sure if he'd wanna leave GT though. I think he'll be successful enough there to get a blue blood (or close)

BrunswickDawg
12-19-2019, 10:39 AM
I'm on board with that ... Can't blame Collins for not wanting to work for Don ..., no DC wanted to - not even Grantham tho he followed him to Florida and I think he waited to see if we were offering him a shot at HC here before accepting Mullen's offer down there ..... bottom line is Collins is a good coach and recruiter - GA Tech has much higher entry standards than a lot of other schools so apparently he's recruiting smarter guys as well

GT doesn't have any higher entry standards for their athletes then any other NCAA institution - that's a myth put out by GT people as an excuse. They have had some presidents who capped the number of football players who fell below the basic GT requirements. That has changed a number of times over the years depending upon the president. However, they are limited by degree offerings, and that can impact recruiting and retention.

smootness
12-19-2019, 10:41 AM
I like him too. Not sure if he'd wanna leave GT though. I think he'll be successful enough there to get a blue blood (or close)

I agree, I think he'll be at GT for a while. I would guess he'll be there until and unless someone like Florida/Texas/Bama, etc. comes calling. He can win big at GT.

HancockCountyDog
12-19-2019, 10:54 AM

Totally agree - but if I was Collins I don't leave GA Tech for us unless the money is insane.

He has got a great gig - and there is very little pressure. Moving to the SEC West now is just so damn hard. With A&M emerging the job is just so tough. I think more and more coaches are going to take the Cutcliffe approach. Find a basketball school or a school that doesn't take football that seriously - get them to be average to slightly above average and try and have a big year every 4-5 years. Schools like Indiana, Ga TEch, Duke, and Virginia are such great jobs right now. Modest success can equal a 10-15 year coaching gig. In the SEC that is unthinkable.

May just be my personal preference, but the idea of being able to build my program and have more than 2-3 years sounds appealing to me.

dawgday166
12-19-2019, 11:00 AM
Totally agree - but if I was Collins I don't leave GA Tech for us unless the money is insane.

He has got a great gig - and there is very little pressure. Moving to the SEC West now is just so damn hard. With A&M emerging the job is just so tough. I think more and more coaches are going to take the Cutcliffe approach. Find a basketball school or a school that doesn't take football that seriously - get them to be average to slightly above average and try and have a big year every 4-5 years. Schools like Indiana, Ga TEch, Duke, and Virginia are such great jobs right now. Modest success can equal a 10-15 year coaching gig. In the SEC that is unthinkable.

May just be my personal preference, but the idea of being able to build my program and have more than 2-3 years sounds appealing to me.

If I'm Stoops ... I probably never leave Ky. He keeps doing what he's doing there and he's set for life.

Lord McBuckethead
12-19-2019, 03:06 PM
The sec should let them back in.

StateDawg44
12-19-2019, 03:07 PM
The sec should let them back in.

Kick Mizzou out and take them back.

gravedigger
12-19-2019, 03:26 PM

Actually it was Mullen who criticized Collins for making a lateral move.

And do know that was a bit of jealousy. Mullen was looking to leave at the end off 2014 as well.

msstate7
12-19-2019, 03:33 PM
Actually it was Mullen who criticized Collins for making a lateral move.

And do know that was a bit of jealousy. Mullen was looking to leave at the end off 2014 as well.

There's no doubt he was jealous. No one in their right mind thinks MSU football and Florida are equals

gravedigger
12-19-2019, 03:37 PM
I remember Collins catching some flak for his "lateral move".

Which is hilarious coming from Dan since he made the exact same lateral move three years later.

I think part of it was jealousy. Some of it was frustration on Dan's part. He'd struggled for years to get consistency on the Defensive staff and side of the ball and Collins bails on him. Of course we know the rest of that story with Sirmon, Diaz and Grantham.

TheLostDawg
12-19-2019, 05:28 PM
I think GC has to prove himself as a coach this year. Shouldn't be hard improving in their record from this past year. Only thing with him is that he knows how tough it is in the SEC. Moorhead learned the hard way. I think that it would be tough pulling him over but I also think our ties to him could allow us to if it really did come to that.

On another note, isn't the assistant AD at GT a Mississippi State alumni?

bulldawg28
12-19-2019, 06:00 PM

After they struggle again in the ACC next year he'll be on no one's list. He was worse than Moorehead not adopting to his talent.

TheLostDawg
12-19-2019, 06:13 PM
After they struggle again in the ACC next year he'll be on no one's list. He was worse than Moorehead not adopting to his talent.

One year isn't enough to determine if someone will work considering all the rules the NCAA gives with limiting the coaching of players. It's really difficult for a new coach to come in and have the players learn, run through, and really grasp the playbook in one year with the limited time they have now. However after a year of learning and playing, you should have a better view. I think that's one major reason a lot of people waited until this year to question Moorhead. That being said, I think we'll know how good GC can be next year by how much improvement his team makes.

Cooterpoot
12-19-2019, 06:14 PM
I think he sucks- Straight up suuuucckss. But, the ACC is a joke, so he can be a middle of the pack coach at GT. He likes to recruit, that's the only positive with him. Again, wouldn't spit on him and he deserved every ass chewing he took from Dan Mullen.

Ari Gold
12-19-2019, 06:17 PM

GaTech ran the wishbone... talk about square peg round hole..

chef dixon
12-19-2019, 06:25 PM
He is not a good coach. He is also not a bad good. Very great value-ish. Diaz on the other hand is a shit coach in over his head.

bulldawg28
12-19-2019, 06:26 PM
GaTech ran the wishbone... talk about square peg round hole..

They ran the spread.

Ari Gold
12-19-2019, 06:58 PM
They ran the spread.

They actually ran the flexbone.. which is still basically the wishbone or triple option
Far from the spread .. not even close

When they went in shotgun in the spring game the crowd gave a standing ovation
Like I said square peg / round hole

Gutter Cobreh
12-19-2019, 07:01 PM
They actually ran the flexbone.. which is still basically the wishbone

I always thought GT ran the triple option prior to Collins arriving.

Whatever you call that offense, they ran all over our "Collins Less" defense in the Orange Bowl. All you heard was Days to the left, Thomas to the right, Days up the middle, Thomas to the left.... over and over and over again as they whipped our ass.

bulldawg28
12-19-2019, 07:05 PM
They actually ran the flexbone.. which is still basically the wishbone

According to GT they were running the spread this year.

Ari Gold
12-19-2019, 07:30 PM
According to GT they were running the spread this year.

Exactly.. they didn’t bring Collins in to run the flexbone or triple option .
He had to change the entire offensive scheme and personnel
That will take a couple of recruiting classes..

Again square peg round hole ...

bulldawg28
12-20-2019, 01:22 PM
Exactly.. they didn’t bring Collins in to run the flexbone or triple option .
He had to change the entire offensive scheme and personnel
That will take a couple of recruiting classes..

Again square peg round hole ...

Which is exactly what I was saying. He didn't adjust to the talent on the team. Few coaches are getting an opportunity to build "their team " the old way. Make the talent you have work for you.

BrunswickDawg
12-20-2019, 02:32 PM
Which is exactly what I was saying. He didn't adjust to the talent on the team. Few coaches are getting an opportunity to build "their team " the old way. Make the talent you have work for you.

He did to a degree as they ran the Relf-fense, which is basically the closest thing you can run compared to the system they had. The problem wasn't adapting to talent - it was the lack of talent. Johnson left nothing.

There was no way he could continue to run Paul Johnsons offense - and all GT fans knew this season was going to be brutal in transition. This is a total rebuild from the ground up.

smootness
12-20-2019, 03:00 PM

This year was always going to be brutal. The only thing the players on the roster could run is the offense Paul Johnson ran, and the entire reason they made the change at coach was to get away from that.

Collins will do very well there.

chef dixon
12-20-2019, 04:09 PM
?Adapt to their players? is so tired of a narrative. Just like players are out of their comfort zone so are the coaches. If every coach could just do that with ease everyone would have a hell of a coach.

bulldawg28
12-20-2019, 04:12 PM
?Adapt to their players? is so tired of a narrative. Just like players are out of their comfort zone so are the coaches. If every coach could just do that with ease everyone would have a hell of a coach.

No, it's called coaching. If you can only do one style of coaching or teaching and can not adapt you should stay at the entry level.

chef dixon
12-20-2019, 04:14 PM
No, it's called coaching. If you can only do one style of coaching or teaching and can not adapt you should stay at the entry level.

Well look how many people are failing at it

bulldawg28
12-20-2019, 04:37 PM
Well look how many people are failing at it

Agreed

BrunswickDawg
12-20-2019, 04:48 PM

I think you have to look at the great situation to determine if you adapt to talent or not. JoeMo absolutely should have - but his opportunity was unique. Collins was hired specifically to blow up the old system. GT had a RSF QB, a SO RB, a FR & SO WR, a transfer WR, and transfer TE. So, he was essentially working with entirely new or inexperienced personnel at the skill positions who didn't have 4 or 5 years in the Paul Johnson system. So, with everyone being essentially new, why stick with the old system? Moorhead had the complete opposite situation.

bulldawg28
12-20-2019, 06:19 PM
I think you have to look at the great situation to determine if you adapt to talent or not. JoeMo absolutely should have - but his opportunity was unique. Collins was hired specifically to blow up the old system. GT had a RSF QB, a SO RB, a FR & SO WR, a transfer WR, and transfer TE. So, he was essentially working with entirely new or inexperienced personnel at the skill positions who didn't have 4 or 5 years in the Paul Johnson system. So, with everyone being essentially new, why stick with the old system? Moorhead had the complete opposite situation.

If that's their reasoning for hiring him more power to them.

Todd4State
12-20-2019, 06:23 PM
The thing is all football coaches are more comfortable with a certain system. You're not going to hire Mike Leach and expect him to run the wishbone because that's what fits your personnel. And if he did try to run the wishbone it probably wouldn't work that well either.

TheLostDawg
12-21-2019, 04:14 PM
The thing is all football coaches are more comfortable with a certain system. You're not going to hire Mike Leach and expect him to run the wishbone because that's what fits your personnel. And if he did try to run the wishbone it probably wouldn't work that well either.

I think that they are saying to find middle ground but look at Saban when he went to Alabama. Should they have fired him when he lost to us? Of course not. You have to give these guys time to teach the playbook to the players and get your guys. If you want immediate success then you go after a coach with a similar system. Otherwise you have to give them a couple years.

Todd4State
12-21-2019, 04:40 PM
I think that they are saying to find middle ground but look at Saban when he went to Alabama. Should they have fired him when he lost to us? Of course not. You have to give these guys time to teach the playbook to the players and get your guys. If you want immediate success then you go after a coach with a similar system. Otherwise you have to give them a couple years.

I agree. It would be nice if a middle ground could be found. The reality no one seems to want to talk about is in year one we ran Fitz more than Dan did and this year Kylin was the main focus of our offense and we finished third in the SEC in rushing. I'm not saying that we couldn't have done more but you're right we have to get players that fit the system better for it to work like it should.

I'm going to go duck now.

Scared_Hitless
12-21-2019, 05:07 PM
I agree. It would be nice if a middle ground could be found. The reality no one seems to want to talk about is in year one we ran Fitz more than Dan did and this year Kylin was the main focus of our offense and we finished third in the SEC in rushing. I'm not saying that we couldn't have done more but you're right we have to get players that fit the system better for it to work like it should.

The goal of our offense is explosive plays. To make those you need explosive players which we lack. Marks, Heath, and Tulu have a shot but we need many more

Todd4State
12-21-2019, 05:46 PM
The goal of our offense is explosive plays. To make those you need explosive players which we lack. Marks, Heath, and Tulu have a shot but we need many more

I agree. I think that's one of the major reasons for our offensive issues the past two years.

Cooterpoot
12-21-2019, 06:03 PM

None of those guys are "explosive ". Hate to bust the bubble but it's true. Good players but not big play guys.

TheLostDawg
12-22-2019, 09:37 AM
None of those guys are "explosive ". Hate to bust the bubble but it's true. Good players but not big play guys.

What's the next class in Mississippi look like? Any that you'd classify as " explosive?"

Dawgfan77
12-23-2019, 08:52 AM
I?m sorry but I?m gonna disagree with you here. Tulu and Walley are very explosive athletes

fader2103
12-23-2019, 09:17 AM
I can't stand when people say a team is a spread team. 90% of teams in college are spread teams, that doesn't mean you are all the same some a spread option, some are pro-style, some are smashmouth, some are air raid. Just because you spread the field doesn't mean a damn thing. I do think in today's win now mentality hurts the game more because coaches can't develop players the way they want to which you got to give them that chance. 98% of teams are looking for that 5-8 year good special season. Also I can see where recruiting "your" guys can be easier relayed in national foot print programs like Alabama, Florida, UGA, Notre Dame..etc.. but places like MSU I see coaches trying to get the same players. Like, if Dan was still here he would still go after Tulu, or Walley, Dillon Johnson type players, now if he would have signed them I would question some. Now I know definitely that if Dan was still here than we would never had Schrader, or we also wouldn't have signed had a chance with Rodgers, we might of offered but no chance of signing him.

smootness
12-23-2019, 09:46 AM

There is no middle ground between a Paul Johnson offense and any other. You either stick with it or scrap it.

And again, even if you could find middle ground, that's not what GT wanted or needed. In order to start recruiting better athletes, they had to show they're not running that system anymore.

Dawgtini
12-23-2019, 11:06 AM

Ummm....Our previous coach did just this. So not so unthinkable in the SEC West.

Harry Rex Vonner
12-24-2019, 10:42 AM
I always thought GT ran the triple option prior to Collins arriving.

Whatever you call that offense, they ran all over our "Collins Less" defense in the Orange Bowl. All you heard was Days to the left, Thomas to the right, Days up the middle, Thomas to the left.... over and over and over again as they whipped our ass.

they did