PDA

View Full Version : MLB is potentially reforming Minor League Baseball....

The Federalist Engineer
12-16-2019, 05:43 PM
A recent proposal would cut the minor league system to 120 teams from 160

The draft would only go 20 rounds, not 40

And the draft would be in Omaha

Is MLB ditching the minor league system College development? Not exactly, there is also a ?dream League? of undrafted Players. But this dream league is supposed to be like Cape Cod - wood bats. Not clear if dreamers lose Collegiate eligibility.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/10/18/mlb-minor-league-system-changes-proposal

This could drastically change college baseball and the level of play.

Rex54
12-16-2019, 05:54 PM
MLB needs to do away with the draft altogether. Just allow teams a pool of money with the worst teams getting more of a pool.

What would be really awesome is to have 120 teams and implement a promotion/relegation system. Imagine the Boston Red Sox playing at the Mississippi Braves. THAT would immediately skyrocket baseball’s popularity especially in non-major markets.

coachnorm
12-16-2019, 05:59 PM
https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2019/10/04/from-terrible-teams-to-rising-costs-and-more-why-mlb-attendance-has-been-down-over-7-since-2015/#5f9a7af931a8

If MLB attendance is declining, I suspect the minors are in decline? Why spend that kind of money to support the minors?

MetEdDawg
12-16-2019, 06:00 PM
A recent proposal would cut the minor league system from 120 teams from 160

Is MLB ditching the minor league system College development? Not exactly, there is also a ?dream League? of undrafted Players. But this dream league is supposed to be like Cape Cod - wood bats. Not clear if dreamers lose Collegiate eligibility.

Basically they are shifting development and financial investment to colleges. Makes sense if I'm MLB. Not enough people go to most minor league stadiums for them to profit. And the players make crap and lead crappy lifestyles. Too much investment into things not providing a return to the organization.

But if they do this the scholarship situation for college baseball will have to change. But this makes financial sense for MLB, especially with salaries getting out of hand like they are

viverlibre
12-16-2019, 06:19 PM
https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2019/10/04/from-terrible-teams-to-rising-costs-and-more-why-mlb-attendance-has-been-down-over-7-since-2015/#5f9a7af931a8

If MLB attendance is declining, I suspect the minors are in decline? Why spend that kind of money to support the minors?

I go to a couple of games per year in Purl, how they stay afloat, I have no idea. It's not off ticket sales or concessions.

SheltonChoked
12-16-2019, 06:23 PM
A recent proposal would cut the minor league system from 120 teams from 160

IMHO, This would be VERY good for MSU... MLB teams will start placing players for development.

But the Scholarship numbers will have to change.

RocketDawg
12-16-2019, 06:23 PM
I saw an article a couple of weeks ago that said the number minor league baseball teams would reduce quite a bit. Unless I'm mistaken, they mentioned the Mississippi Braves. Anybody else see or hear that?

Quaoarsking
12-16-2019, 06:51 PM
I saw an article a couple of weeks ago that said the number minor league baseball teams would reduce quite a bit. Unless I'm mistaken, they mentioned the Mississippi Braves. Anybody else see or hear that?

None of the teams in the Southern League are on the chopping block. It's the rookie and low-A teams in much smaller markets that may go.

Todd4State
12-16-2019, 06:55 PM
The thing about cutting costs- this is in part a response to how little minor league baseball players are paid. MLB is going to be forced to pay them more so this is MLB’s response.

I’m honestly not sure how much or even this will affect college baseball at all really.

I have said for awhile that MLB should cut out a level of the minors but I figured it would be a cluster. Looks like I was right! It’s getting ugly. MLB will end up winning though.

RocketDawg
12-16-2019, 07:11 PM
None of the teams in the Southern League are on the chopping block. It's the rookie and low-A teams in much smaller markets that may go.

Well, that's good. The Mobile team is moving to Huntsville/Madison starting in the spring to it's good to hear that the Southern League is safe. They haven't even finished buiding the stadium yet.

Homedawg
12-17-2019, 09:27 AM
Basically they are shifting development and financial investment to colleges. Makes sense if I'm MLB. Not enough people go to most minor league stadiums for them to profit. And the players make crap and lead crappy lifestyles. Too much investment into things not providing a return to the organization.

But if they do this the scholarship situation for college baseball will have to change. But this makes financial sense for MLB, especially with salaries getting out of hand like they are

While we have the same stance on needing more baseball scholarships, mlb doesn't control it. Unfortunately, a bunch of cheap ass universities that play hockey, etc are going to do all they can to keep the 11.7.

MetEdDawg
12-17-2019, 12:58 PM
While we have the same stance on needing more baseball scholarships, mlb doesn't control it. Unfortunately, a bunch of cheap ass universities that play hockey, etc are going to do all they can to keep the 11.7.

MLB is going to have to talk with the NCAA and get it right. NBA did that when they fixed some of the issues with the draft. MLB is gonna have to do the same. They have to reach out and advocate for more baseball scholarships. And in doignso that may greatly alter the structure of D1 baseball because there are probably a lot of universities that could handle 25 or 27 scholarships.

This could ripple pretty hard across baseball at all post-high school levels.

Todd4State
12-17-2019, 01:07 PM
MLB is going to have to talk with the NCAA and get it right. NBA did that when they fixed some of the issues with the draft. MLB is gonna have to do the same. They have to reach out and advocate for more baseball scholarships. And in doignso that may greatly alter the structure of D1 baseball because there are probably a lot of universities that could handle 25 or 27 scholarships.

What’s going to have to happen is the major conferences are going to have to split off into their own division for what you are talking about to happen. MSU doesn’t need MLB to fund scholarships. Same as any other SEC school really.

SheltonChoked
12-17-2019, 01:41 PM
The thing about cutting costs- this is in part a response to how little minor league baseball players are paid. MLB is going to be forced to pay them more so this is MLB?s response.

I?m honestly not sure how much or even this will affect college baseball at all really.

I have said for awhile that MLB should cut out a level of the minors but I figured it would be a cluster. Looks like I was right! It?s getting ugly. MLB will end up winning though.

You don't think having half the players in the minors, and half the rounds in the draft will affect College baseball?

I cannot see how it will not. It's been happening already. https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/draft-system-has-pushed-teams-to-pick-more-college-players/ Fewer Minor league spots will accelerate this.

Since the late 1990s there?s been a steadily increasing trend of teams selecting more and more college players, and it comes at the expense of the high school and junior college prospects. That?s true of drafted players overall, as well as players who are drafted and signed. Multiple teams have told Baseball America that they are more prone to pass on high school pitchers at the top of the draft because of the recent struggles of that demographic. And teams have a much more robust dataset for college players thanks to a deeper statistical resume and troves of analytical data from Trackman, etc., to a depth that isn't possible to acquire with high school players. Both of those reasons can push teams to take more college players.

High school players still will have to develop to make the MLB. Less roster spots means less time. Guys that are better prepared will fill the roster spots.

And schools that are set up with Trackman, Rapsodo, Edgertronic will have an advantage in getting those players. Schools that have a reputation for developing and protecting players will get those players. Schools like MSU... https://hailstate.com/news/2019/12/11/baseball-foxhall-earns-national-accolade.aspx

"We came into the game thinking five innings or 75 pitches, and he was a little more efficient so we went to 80," Lemonis said. "He's pitched at about 80 all year long if you look at his numbers. Maybe twice or three times he's gone over 80. Because of the last couple weeks, we had set that predetermined before the game.
"As big as this is, it's not bigger than JT's career, so the player always comes first."

parabrave
12-17-2019, 02:19 PM
I hate it that in Mississippi that we cannot bring in more fans to our games, Biloxi and Pearl. I attend most of the games and it is one of the most enjoyable sporting experiences, esp for families around. You or your kids can get all the autographs and pictures with players you want and its not that expensive.

Todd4State
12-17-2019, 02:53 PM
You don't think having half the players in the minors, and half the rounds in the draft will affect College baseball?

I cannot see how it will not. It's been happening already. https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/draft-system-has-pushed-teams-to-pick-more-college-players/ Fewer Minor league spots will accelerate this.

High school players still will have to develop to make the MLB. Less roster spots means less time. Guys that are better prepared will fill the roster spots.

And schools that are set up with Trackman, Rapsodo, Edgertronic will have an advantage in getting those players. Schools that have a reputation for developing and protecting players will get those players. Schools like MSU... https://hailstate.com/news/2019/12/11/baseball-foxhall-earns-national-accolade.aspx

Yes. Very little because it’s already happening. The guys that are high end in high school are still going to go pro. And the trend of guys coming to college will continue as it is. Most of the guys taken after the 20th round are basically flyers. Some of those guys that would have signed will probably go to the Dream League or whatever MLB wants to call it.

Homedawg
12-17-2019, 06:49 PM

Sure there are a lot that could. But way more that either can't or don't care. It's a numbers game. Yes we need it. But don't look for any relief any time soon. Not of major consequence.

Homedawg
12-17-2019, 06:50 PM
What’s going to have to happen is the major conferences are going to have to split off into their own division for what you are talking about to happen. MSU doesn’t need MLB to fund scholarships. Same as any other SEC school really.

This is accurate. Only way it ever takes place. Only way.

Rex54
12-17-2019, 08:11 PM
1. Abandon the draft (keep talent local)
2. 4 leagues/30 teams/with relegation and promotion

Baseball instantly triples in popularity nationwide.

Todd4State
12-17-2019, 08:19 PM
1. Abandon the draft (keep talent local)
2. 4 leagues/30 teams/with relegation and promotion

Baseball instantly triples in popularity nationwide.

This isn?t about popularity. It?s about money. The teams that get cut are basically going to be independent unaffiliated franchises in the Dream League that I referenced. I?m not sure how well that is going to go over but we?ll see.

MLB doesn?t want to pay their minor league players more so this is what MLB has come up with. The minor league players probably aren?t going to speak up too much because they all want to go to MLB.

SheltonChoked
12-18-2019, 04:43 PM
Yes. Very little because it?s already happening. The guys that are high end in high school are still going to go pro. And the trend of guys coming to college will continue as it is. Most of the guys taken after the 20th round are basically flyers. Some of those guys that would have signed will probably go to the Dream League or whatever MLB wants to call it.
I completely disagree.

Since it's happening already, you think it will not be more?

Again, there are only so many slots. As you admit, more are being taken by college guys and those college guys are signing (and those college guys are making it to the league), that leaves fewer spots for HS guys, by definition.

This is not like the NBA Draft, where kids would declare then not be eligible.

You will see more JT Ginn type players that will want to be BMOC for 2 -3 years instead of living in a bus between Amarillo and Albuquerque for $1300...

You'll have more teams wanting the advanced stat data provided by the the serious baseball NCAA teams, and the more sure thing

Todd4State
12-18-2019, 05:13 PM
I completely disagree.

Since it's happening already, you think it will not be more?

Again, there are only so many slots. As you admit, more are being taken by college guys and those college guys are signing (and those college guys are making it to the league), that leaves fewer spots for HS guys, by definition.

This is not like the NBA Draft, where kids would declare then not be eligible.

You will see more JT Ginn type players that will want to be BMOC for 2 -3 years instead of living in a bus between Amarillo and Albuquerque for $1300...

You'll have more teams wanting the advanced stat data provided by the the serious baseball NCAA teams, and the more sure thing

Maybe more but I don?t think it will be significantly more. The guys drafted in the top 20 rounds are going to be the same no matter what.

Most of the guys drafted after the 20th are going to school as it is.

Homedawg
12-18-2019, 09:47 PM
Maybe more but I don?t think it will be significantly more. The guys drafted in the top 20 rounds are going to be the same no matter what.

Agree. What you won't see as much of is flyers in the 25th round to take a swipe at a kid that has "said" he wants to go to a school and when they have extra slot money they throw him a crazy number.

Todd4State
12-18-2019, 10:12 PM
Agree. What you won't see as much of is flyers in the 25th round to take a swipe at a kid that has "said" he wants to go to a school and when they have extra slot money they throw him a crazy number.

Exactly. You won't see that guy from Bogue Chitto that's committed to MSU that some scout falls in love with and convinces his organization to throw a bunch of money at them. Of course that was more prevalent before the slot money era.

I think MLB is doing the right things as far as the draft goes. Trying to cut the rounds and holding it in Omaha are good moves. I think the slot system has been good overall as well.

The minor league stuff I have mixed emotions about. I feel bad for the towns that are getting cut. I don't think the Dream League thing is going to work. It's basically independent league baseball under MLB's umbrella. I feel bad for the minor league people that are going to lose jobs whether it's a player or someone that sells popcorn. MLB is probably doing the right thing to try to cut some teams because I do agree that there are too many. But there is a lot of fallout that goes along with it. MLB will win in the end- but it's going to be a painful process for MLB.

Relegation will never work because MLB uses minor league teams as farm team for development. Pretty big difference between a AAA team and a MLB team anyway.

Homedawg
12-18-2019, 10:56 PM
Hard to argue w any of that.

SheltonChoked
12-19-2019, 12:48 PM

I think you are missing that there will only be 20 rounds, so ALL the players "drafted after round 20" will go to school since there is no round 21.

As will the feature of better evaluations of the players. Top colleges have and will spend the money on tools to help their teams, and players. Tools MLB uses. Tools that High Schools cannot afford.

I know I'd rather spend 2 years at college and be BMOC vs Goodyear, AZ and Eastlake, OH playing A ball for $1,300/month.