PDA

View Full Version : Vic needs to make an adjustment to his coaching staff

Irondawg
12-16-2019, 12:45 PM
I'm not saying any one person has to be fired, but he's got to find somebody to be his Offensive Coordinator on that end of the basketball floor.

We're a hot mess at that end right now and honestly we've always kinda been that way but we don't have the big rebounding advantage we've had the past few years to make up for it.

We've had some great recruiters and defensive coaches for MSU basketball over the years, but we can never seem to ever look fluid on offense for any stretch.

Dawg2003
12-16-2019, 12:51 PM
Completely agree. Never been a fan of the offense. We were able to mask some of the issues because we had McCowan and then Anriel last year. He desperately needs to find someone to run a more modern offense. This team shouldn't be ranked and would not be ranked if we had played a tougher schedule. They have not beaten a ranked team. Only quality win is barely getting by Marquette.

Irondawg
12-16-2019, 12:59 PM
Our best offensive option right now really is to run some of what Oregon runs. Put Danberry at the point and have Bibby as a high pick and just run pick and roll with those two with Andi split out wide on one side, Rickea on the the other Carter offside to crash.

Bibby is out best overall offensive player (passing + shooting) but we don't run through her. Danberry is our best scorer. Rickea is developing and Andi and Matharu can't put some points on the board and Carter is decent on the glass. Those 6 should account for 90% of your scoring.

StarkVegasSteve
12-16-2019, 01:37 PM
Maybe it'll change once conference play begins, but everyone outside of a few players looks like they'd rather be anywhere else but playing basketball. Very lethargic and just going through the motions.

smootness
12-16-2019, 01:43 PM
I'll let the guy who has taken us to the top of the sport despite not having near the talent of the other teams up there make that call.

ZedFedder
12-16-2019, 01:46 PM
I'll let the guy who has taken us to the top of the sport despite not having near the talent of the other teams up there make that call.
This. I think it has more to do with the amount of freshmen.

basedog
12-16-2019, 02:07 PM
Rebuilding year. Vic will probably go down as our greatest coach regardless of sport. I have no problem with a Coach building a program his way and doing the right thing. To think he needs help should depend when he calls for help. Seems to have a great system and I ain't worried one bit with the direction Vic takes us!

RocketDawg
12-16-2019, 02:13 PM
What was the score today? I wasn't able to watch the game today.

StarkVegasSteve
12-16-2019, 02:25 PM
Won 64-48

Liverpooldawg
12-16-2019, 02:30 PM
Good grief this place is nuts.

Commercecomet24
12-16-2019, 02:32 PM
Rebuilding year. Vic will probably go down as our greatest coach regardless of sport. I have no problem with a Coach building a program his way and doing the right thing. To think he needs help should depend when he calls for help. Seems to have a great system and I ain't worried one bit with the direction Vic takes us!

This x 1000. Vic has earned it. Lot of youngsters playing and learning on the job this year and we'll still be top 15-20 and make a run in the tournament.

OLJWales
12-16-2019, 02:37 PM

Lol liver. I was just scrolling along and thought " I bet that's liver" and I was obviously right. But yea, starting a complaint thread after a double digit win is (fill in the blank)

parabrave
12-16-2019, 02:40 PM
Well Girls win. And hope everyone remembers this is a young team and they will only get better.

Dawg2003
12-16-2019, 02:45 PM
The final score does not indicate how badly the team played. We were only ahead by 7 with 2 minutes to go. Quite simply, we are offensively inept on a consistent basis and lack the physicality of past teams. The SEC is not a great basketball league, but there will be a day of reckoning when we start league play. Could be pretty ugly when we play South Carolina.

Whether or not the problems are mainly youth remains to be seen, but we currently have personnel issues at PG and center.

Irondawg
12-16-2019, 02:45 PM
Look I love Vic and yes, he'll probably go down as our greatest coach ever, but just because he does a lot of things really well doesn't mean he does everything well and you can always find ways to improve. Even Saban after winning a few titles realized he needed to improve his offense at Bama to keep the train going.

We are young and that makes everything look a bit worse, but this offense and Howland's are very similar and people bash the men's team on that end all the time. Ironically they share some of the same issues - mostly inconsistent PG play and lack of movement off the ball.

Dawg2003
12-16-2019, 02:49 PM
One of the issues with Vic's offensive system to work you need a truly dominant center like McCowan. Otherwise, it just doesn't really work that well, and I think you are seeing that this year.

StarkVegasSteve
12-16-2019, 02:51 PM
Look I love Vic and yes, he'll probably go down as our greatest coach ever, but just because he does a lot of things really well doesn't mean he does everything well and you can always find ways to improve. Even Saban after winning a few titles realized he needed to improve his offense at Bama to keep the train going.

We are young and that makes everything look a bit worse, but this offense and Howland's are very similar and people bash the men's team on that end all the time. Ironically they share some of the same issues - mostly inconsistent PG play and lack of movement off the ball.

A lot of it seems to be youth. I haven't watched but one or two games, but it really seemed like Schaefer was trying to be a little more patient with the Freshman as opposed to Bibby, Hunter, etc. Did not think Bibby had one of her better games today.

Dawg2003
12-16-2019, 03:34 PM
A lot of it seems to be youth. I haven't watched but one or two games, but it really seemed like Schaefer was trying to be a little more patient with the Freshman as opposed to Bibby, Hunter, etc. Did not think Bibby had one of her better games today.

With all due respect, if you have only seen 1-2 games, how can you say that the problem seems to be mostly youth?

AROB44
12-16-2019, 03:37 PM

Vic does not need any advice from a message board full of frustrated wanabe coaches.

Dawg2003
12-16-2019, 04:27 PM
Vic does not need any advice from a message board full of frustrated wanabe coaches.

Do you have an opinion on the content of the criticism of Vic's offensive system?

smootness
12-16-2019, 04:28 PM
The final score does not indicate how badly the team played. We were only ahead by 7 with 2 minutes to go. Quite simply, we are offensively inept on a consistent basis and lack the physicality of past teams. The SEC is not a great basketball league, but there will be a day of reckoning when we start league play. Could be pretty ugly when we play South Carolina.

Whether or not the problems are mainly youth remains to be seen, but we currently have personnel issues at PG and center.

Correct, this team is not as good as the past few. But this year was always going to be a bit of a step back. You're not going to have an elite team every year.

timotheus
12-16-2019, 05:04 PM
Gosh. Until Vic turns his program into anything near the football program we should not even criticize Vic a bit. what a waste

basedog
12-16-2019, 05:13 PM
Do you have an opinion on the content of the criticism of Vic's offensive system?

I do and as ex BB Coach, we are young and will get better. Winning is important and Vic?s offense will be fine.

Dawg2003
12-16-2019, 05:22 PM
I do and as ex BB Coach, we are young and will get better. Winning is important and Vic?s offense will be fine.

What do you think about the style of offense we run?

StarkVegasSteve
12-16-2019, 05:28 PM
With all due respect, if you have only seen 1-2 games, how can you say that the problem seems to be mostly youth?

Because in the games I've watched we continually get beat down the floor, bog down on offense, and make mental mistakes. 90% of the time, the players that made those mistakes were freshman or sophomores. Again, just a casual observation. I think Schaefer will fix it though

basedog
12-16-2019, 05:59 PM
What do you think about the style of offense we run?

Work in progress. We aren't gonna dominate the inside offensively and defensively. But we are still about playing good defense, which is Vic's style. What we have to do is rebound and cut down the turnovers, we are playing many young players who will get better as the year goes along. ULL isn't a bad team, playing on the road and with school out it's hard for both boys and girls to be consist, they should change after Christmas.

shannondawg
12-16-2019, 06:59 PM

+1

maroonmania
12-16-2019, 08:00 PM

Exactly, no matter how good a program is or how well things are going, the BEST coaches still always look for areas to improve because there are always areas you can improve. That is probably the most impressive thing about Nick Saban. He has kept adapting and improving even after he won a couple of NCs at Bama.

Coach34
12-16-2019, 08:24 PM
Vic is not perfect and he certainly can be questined some on offense and sub patterns.

He is a monster recruiter and teaches them to be tough as hell on D. Hard to argue with that. He may never win a title after losing the one we blew to ND- I view that like Polk losing in 1985 with the best team in the country that year. It is what it is. We will be a top 10 program as long as he is in StarkVegas. Hopefully its another decade

Cooterpoot
12-16-2019, 08:27 PM
We’re playing a ton of young players and girls that have seen little time. What the hell yall expect?

basedog
12-16-2019, 08:46 PM
Vic is not perfect and he certainly can be questined some on offense and sub patterns.

He is a monster recruiter and teaches them to be tough as hell on D. Hard to argue with that. He may never win a title after losing the one we blew to ND- I view that like Polk losing in 1985 with the best team in the country that year. It is what it is. We will be a top 10 program as long as he is in StarkVegas. Hopefully its another decade

Vic put his players in a position to win the game against ND. If I recall Little Bit got mugged with no call that probably cost us a Natty.

He works as extremely hard and is so driven it gives us hope to be back in Championship Game.

maroonmania
12-16-2019, 09:27 PM
Vic put his players in a position to win the game against ND. If I recall Little Bit got mugged with no call that probably cost us a Natty.

He works as extremely hard and is so driven it gives us hope to be back in Championship Game.

The only gripe I had in that championship game was in the last 7 or 8 minutes of the game, when all was on the line, VV got maybe one shot from the field. Kind of like in Hoosiers at the end with Jimmy Chitwood, when all is on the line you have to win or lose with your best player being your primary weapon. We didn't do that. She didn't get any shots and we struggled mightily scoring in that final quarter.

StarkVegasSteve
12-16-2019, 09:29 PM

What cost us that game was going away from Holmes and Danberry. They were hounding one of the best backcourts in the country. ND couldn't cross half court with those two defending and Vic took them out to put in Schaefer and William for more offense.

Coach34
12-16-2019, 10:10 PM

We were up 16 in the 2nd half. A non-call on our PG didn't lose the game. We choked. Choked hard. It is what it is.

Dannyripms
12-17-2019, 12:47 AM
When they are doing that dribble drive, they are driving into the lane and all 5 defenders are bending in and we are taking bad shots. Those girls on the 3 line are gonna have to start knocking them down when they are kicked back out. The open shot is the 3 just about every time due to the defense collapsing inside. I would like to run some different offense on occasion though too. Jessica has so much dang potential if she would just play more aggressive. That's where Big T would take somebody's damn head off. Jessica just kind of barely takes a stab at it. Big T would say not on my watch. If we can get her to play up to her potential and get Bibby, Andi, and RJ to start hitting their shots we will be just fine.

trob115
12-17-2019, 10:07 AM
Honestly Myah Taylor has been outplayed by Mingo-Young and Matharu. Hopefully they will cut down on the turnovers and can take hold of the starting PG.

tcdog70
12-17-2019, 04:14 PM
We were up 16 in the 2nd half. A non-call on our PG didn't lose the game. We choked. Choked hard. It is what it is.

the choke was not letting VV take every shot down the stretch. Instead we kept forcing the ball into T in post. they doubled Her and She didn't come through. Let VV shoot and T rebound--T was getting 40% of the missed shots. VV would have been fouled or converted the shot and if not T would have rebounded. We had to many empty possessions.

BB30
12-18-2019, 11:00 AM
So you want to fire someone after we clearly knew we were going to have a rebuilding year despite the fact that that staff has had us on a run that we have never seen in state sports history... makes sense. It's as if some of you believe we should win every single game we play in every sport and if we drop a game or two someone has got to be fired. Yall are just as bad as the continuous sunshine pumpers. what happened to realism and critical thinking?

Dawg2003
12-18-2019, 11:59 AM
So you want to fire someone after we clearly knew we were going to have a rebuilding year despite the fact that that staff has had us on a run that we have never seen in state sports history... makes sense. It's as if some of you believe we should win every single game we play in every sport and if we drop a game or two someone has got to be fired. Yall are just as bad as the continuous sunshine pumpers. what happened to realism and critical thinking?

Who is talking about firing anyone?

notsofarawaydawg
12-18-2019, 01:55 PM
Once certain players get over their petty attitude problems about who is starting and who is not starting, the team will be fine. They need to get with the coach if they have a problem with who is playing and quit the internal bickering about who is starting. It's affecting the team big time right now. If they don't like it they need to transfer at Christmas or sit down an shut up cause Vic knows who is practicing and playing hard.

Dawg2003
12-18-2019, 02:44 PM
Once certain players get over their petty attitude problems about who is starting and who is not starting, the team will be fine. They need to get with the coach if they have a problem with who is playing and quit the internal bickering about who is starting. It's affecting the team big time right now. If they don't like it they need to transfer at Christmas or sit down an shut up cause Vic knows who is practicing and playing hard.

Interesting. Is this something you know from someone on the team?

notsofarawaydawg
12-18-2019, 04:26 PM
Interesting. Is this something you know from someone on the team?

I won't say but it's becoming very obvious that off the court pettiness is beginning to affect the team play. I'm 100% sure that Vic will handle it once SEC play comes around. I think he's trying to figure out if someone will step up and lead the team and put a stop to the disruption. If a leader doesn't emerge you will see some people sitting a lot more than they are now.

Dawg2003
12-18-2019, 04:38 PM
I won't say but it's becoming very obvious that off the court pettiness is beginning to affect the team play. I'm 100% sure that Vic will handle it once SEC play comes around. I think he's trying to figure out if someone will step up and lead the team and put a stop to the disruption. If a leader doesn't emerge you will see some people sitting a lot more than they are now.

I'm not surprised by what you're saying. This team doesn't seem to be a unit like past teams. They don't seem to have that drive to win. An alpha group needs to emerge, and the rotation needs to tighten. You recruit the best players you can get, and then let them fight it out in practice. The ones that don't make the rotation the way they'd like to can transfer. That's just the way it is at this level.