PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Nix not returning to Ole Miss

Todd4State
12-16-2019, 10:58 AM
That?s the rumor and apparently Yancy isn?t taking it well and attacking Neal McCready.

Losing Peeler and Nix would be a huge blow for them recruiting wise.

Jack Lambert
12-16-2019, 11:00 AM
Hell Pretty Boy will be able to sweet talk mama.

timotheus
12-16-2019, 11:01 AM
McReady has absolutely zilch to do with this and he has zero control over Kiffin. Yancy is just further proving what we already knew.

TrapGame
12-16-2019, 11:02 AM
Nix has been there since Nutt was head coach. He'd have to take a pay cut to go to USM.

HailStateSZN19
12-16-2019, 11:02 AM
Do we kick the tires on Nix and maybe see if he'd take TE coach role? I got my hopes too high on us adding Peeler. I'm gonna slow my roll this go around lol.

I'm betting he will be courted by several schools. Think some big name schools have tried to poach him in the past. I'd at least see if he wants to remain in MS.

If not, nothing hurt in reaching out like we did with Peeler. But I'd at least reach out to see if there's any interest whatsoever.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-16-2019, 11:05 AM
Do we kick the tires on Nix and maybe see if he'd take TE coach role? I got my hopes too high on us adding Peeler. I'm gonna slow my roll this go around lol.

I'm betting he will be courted by several schools. Think some big name schools have tried to poach him in the past. I'd at least see if he wants to remain in MS.

If not, nothing hurt in reaching out like we did with Peeler. But I'd at least reach out to see if there's any interest whatsoever.

Nix would not come to State IMO

HailStateSZN19
12-16-2019, 11:08 AM
Nix would not come to State IMO

I thought I had read where someone said something similar. That he just didn't "fit" MSU or didn't like us (maybe I'm remembering that wrong).

Again, unless he's made it clear in the past he wants nothing to do with MSU, you at least reach out. But I thought I had seen someone else previously say he wouldn't ever come to State.

KOdawg1
12-16-2019, 11:17 AM
Nix is who gave Yancy all of his insider info, so he's taking it pretty hard

Political Hack
12-16-2019, 11:20 AM
Nix is a great recruiter and he'll be a great asset for whoever hired him, but I can't see he and State coexisting.

WinningIsRelentless
12-16-2019, 11:21 AM
At some point we have to have some x&o guys that can coach guys, if not we end up like Mississippi under freeze.

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2019, 11:22 AM
I'm beginning to wonder if Kiffin knows what he's doing at Ole Miss.

I'm curious if he's going to think he can recruit nationally only to look up in 3 years and realize he's getting destroyed instate and not pulling enough out of state talent.

He's behaving like he's at Bama from a hiring perspective.

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2019, 11:23 AM
At some point we have to have some x&o guys that can coach guys, if not we end up like Mississippi under freeze.

Did OM have a coaching problem under Freeze. They seemed pretty well coached to my eye.

timotheus
12-16-2019, 11:24 AM
Let him do it Gun. They already think they are that way. give em all the rope they need

StateDawg44
12-16-2019, 11:26 AM

Are staff changes even happening for sure or is it just another rumor that we are?

Or is it another someone told someone who heard a fart that sounded like someone said we are making changes?

Jack Lambert
12-16-2019, 11:49 AM
Are staff changes even happening for sure or is it just another rumor that we are?

Or is it another someone told someone who heard a fart that sounded like someone said we are making changes?

I have learn not to listen and believe anything posted on message board. Until it happens it hasn't happen.

StateDawg44
12-16-2019, 11:51 AM
I have learn not to listen and believe anything posted on message board. Until it happens it hasn't happen.

I for one don't believe we will be making changes unfortunately.

Just adding another 'I hope I'm wrong' post.

Ari Gold
12-16-2019, 12:05 PM
That’s a big blow for them.
Don’t really understand that move.
Nix lasted through freeze and should have been at worse fired for all the shit that went down.
Not only was he retained by Luke but giving a raise.
And Kiffin pulls the plug.

I bet it cost them a recruit or 2..

Ari Gold
12-16-2019, 12:06 PM

Wait till after Wednesday ... and let’s see what happens

msstate7
12-16-2019, 12:08 PM

I'm curious if he's going to think he can recruit nationally only to look up in 3 years and realize he's getting destroyed instate and not pulling enough out of state talent.

Might wanna see who he replaces him with before extrapolating too much.

HailStateSZN19
12-16-2019, 12:15 PM
Wait till after Wednesday ... and let’s see what happens

So a few *might* happen after Early NSD but before the bowl game? Thanks for the info Ari.

ZedFedder
12-16-2019, 12:31 PM
It just surprises me how all of my OM friends (I live in Oxford) are so hyped up on the Kiffin train, but what has he explicitly proven that this thing is a slam dunk? Do I think he may do a good job? Sure. Its not as clear cut as they make it out to be.

msbulldog
12-16-2019, 02:02 PM

They announced a running back coach hire Saturday, Larry Smith from FAU I think. He'll take Nix's place.

Jarius
12-16-2019, 02:39 PM

He very much thinks he can recruit nationally there. He made a hire to get inroads to Houston and another to get inroads to Florida. Will it work? It will at least temporarily if the boosters go all in like they did with freeze outside the State. Does Kiffin have enough of a name brand to fool the NCAA into believing everything is on the up and up? I doubt it. I see a train wreck coming their way, but I believe they will have some fun before it derails. Much like last time.

Dawgology
12-16-2019, 02:52 PM
He very much thinks he can recruit nationally there. He made a hire to get inroads to Houston and another to get inroads to Florida. Will it work? It will at least temporarily if the boosters go all in like they did with freeze outside the State. Does Kiffin have enough of a name brand to fool the NCAA into believing everything is on the up and up? I doubt it. I see a train wreck coming their way, but I believe they will have some fun before it derails. Much like last time.

The SEC was dealing with two SEC schools and could mitigate things a bit.

Buying them out from under Texas is a WHOLE other ball of yarn. LOL!!! Good luck with that Ole Miss kiddos.

Jarius
12-16-2019, 02:58 PM
Well he just bought one out of Memphis that didn’t have Ole Miss in his top 12 before 2 weeks ago. Better buckle up.

HailStateSZN19
12-16-2019, 03:01 PM
Well he just bought one out of Memphis that didn’t have Ole Miss in his top 12 before 2 weeks ago. Better buckle up.

Kiffin bring$ the $wagger back to Ole Mi$$.....

msstate7
12-16-2019, 03:21 PM
Who?

Jarius
12-16-2019, 03:38 PM
Who?

I was wrong. They flipped one of their own commitments again. The OL from Memphis is one they are hoping to get though. Morris.

Ari Gold
12-16-2019, 03:59 PM
I was wrong. They flipped one of their own commitments again. The OL from Memphis is one they are hoping to get though. Morris.

Texas AM bound..

KOdawg1
12-16-2019, 04:06 PM
I'd rather us just promote Brad Peterson

The Federalist Engineer
12-16-2019, 10:19 PM
I thought I had read where someone said something similar. That he just didn't "fit" MSU or didn't like us (maybe I'm remembering that wrong).

Again, unless he's made it clear in the past he wants nothing to do with MSU, you at least reach out. But I thought I had seen someone else previously say he wouldn't ever come to State.

Our Head Coach does not fit at MSU. Hiring Nix ASAP is the move any chess player would make.

KB21
12-16-2019, 10:33 PM
Did OM have a coaching problem under Freeze. They seemed pretty well coached to my eye.

They absolutely were poorly coached. Look at how poorly prepared their players were for the NFL. Treadwell couldn?t run a complete route tree. Nkemdiche has no clue how to use his physical tools, nor does he care. Laremy Tunsil is the only one that made anything of himself out of that class, and it took him 2 years to get adjusted to the NFL.

Todd4State
12-17-2019, 02:14 AM
Our Head Coach does not fit at MSU. Hiring Nix ASAP is the move any chess player would make.

Not having them at Ole Miss is a win in and of itself.

bulldawg28
12-17-2019, 04:47 AM
I don't get why people here think hiring fired Ole miss coaches is the move we should make yet you're mad our university uses that game as the measurement. WTF? Why would we want Ole miss coaches? They haven't developed anyone and are glorified bag men. They're a waste of a hire unless you're Ole Miss.

State82
12-17-2019, 05:43 AM

But in our case we need to be asking what move will a checkers player make.

Bdawg
12-17-2019, 08:32 AM
I don't get why people here think hiring fired Ole miss coaches is the move we should make yet you're mad our university uses that game as the measurement. WTF? Why would we want Ole miss coaches? They haven't developed anyone and are glorified bag men. They're a waste of a hire unless you're Ole Miss.

Sounds like with what I've read here, Peeler was the one to get. He has State ties also. Everyone else, I'll pass too.

StateDawg44
12-17-2019, 08:50 AM
They announced a running back coach hire Saturday, Larry Smith from FAU I think. He'll take Nix's place.

I wasn't asking about OM coaching changes rumors. I DGAF what they got going on. Obviously they are having to make coaching changes.

msstate7
12-17-2019, 08:53 AM
The thread is about MSU coaching changes.

I wasn't asking about OM coaching changes. I DGAF what they got going on. Obviously they are having to make coaching changes.

Huh? Read the thread title and OP

StateDawg44
12-17-2019, 08:57 AM
Huh? Read the thread title and OP

Ah... yeah you right. I was responding to someone else's post with my original post in this thread. Forgot.

My bad, carry on.

Jarius
12-17-2019, 09:08 AM

Running back coaches and wide receiver coaches are glorified recruiting coaches. Ole Miss receivers are doing fine in the NFL. Metcalf and AJ Brown are both tearing it up. Treadwell snapped his leg in half and is not the same guy.

bulldawg28
12-17-2019, 09:22 AM
Running back coaches and wide receiver coaches are glorified recruiting coaches. Ole Miss receivers are doing fine in the NFL. Metcalf and AJ Brown are both tearing it up. Treadwell snapped his leg in half and is not the same guy.

Metcalf and Brown would have gone pro with any SEC team.

The Federalist Engineer
12-17-2019, 10:49 AM

Bringing Nix to starkville is like recruiting a defector in East Berlin in the Cold War.

Nix probably knows the inner working of the Network in Mississippi. He probably brings lots of great relationships with MS HS coaches.

This is the reason Tony Hughes was such a good hire for Dan and he was welcomed back after his tenure at JSU.

By the way, Tony Hughes was also an Ole Miss coach before MSU.

Jack Lambert
12-17-2019, 10:52 AM
Bringing Nix to starkville is like recruiting a defector in East Berlin in the Cold War.

Nix probably knows the inner working of the Network in Mississippi. He probably brings lots of great relationships with MS HS coaches.

This is the reason Tony Hughes was such a good hire for Dan and he was welcomed back after his tenure at JSU.

By the way, Tony Hughes was also an Ole Miss coach before MSU.

He will not be unemployed very long.

timotheus
12-17-2019, 10:53 AM
Joe ain't near considering Nix to join the staff. end of discussion

Jarius
12-17-2019, 11:54 AM
Metcalf and Brown would have gone pro with any SEC team.

Yes and that is the point. You hire coaches in those positions that can recruit that kind of talent. A wide receiver coach and running back coach have very little to do with how good those position groups play outside of how well they recruit the position. I could coach Kylin Hill and look like a genius while you coach Ashton Shumpert and look like you know nothing about coaching running backs. You need elite minds at the coordinator spots. You need elite recruiters at most position coaching spots.

msbulldog
12-17-2019, 01:43 PM
I wasn't asking about OM coaching changes rumors. I DGAF what they got going on. Obviously they are having to make coaching changes.

"Are staff changes even happening for sure or is it just another rumor that we are?"

Then don't ask, Dik.

Leroy Jenkins
12-17-2019, 01:51 PM
My guess is Auburn may be the next stop for Nix.

StateDawg44
12-17-2019, 04:22 PM
"Are staff changes even happening for sure or is it just another rumor that we are?"

Then don't ask, Dik.

There was no ill-will in my post to you but it reads that way maybe. My bad.

Regardless your response didn't apply to my question since I quoted someone talking about US hiring Nix or US making staff changes.

But thanks for attempting to answer my question and stating the obvious that OM is making staff changes......Dik

Wait till after Wednesday ... and let?s see what happens

See which post doesn't belong here?

bulldawg28
12-17-2019, 04:44 PM
Yes and that is the point. You hire coaches in those positions that can recruit that kind of talent. A wide receiver coach and running back coach have very little to do with how good those position groups play outside of how well they recruit the position. I could coach Kylin Hill and look like a genius while you coach Ashton Shumpert and look like you know nothing about coaching running backs. You need elite minds at the coordinator spots. You need elite recruiters at most position coaching spots.

I could see that strategy. However, neither of the coaches in this thread recruited Brown or Metcalf to Ole miss. What top players or elite that you referring to?

monroedawg5646
12-17-2019, 04:47 PM
Checkers? LOL! This mfer is playing tic tac toe.

Jack Lambert
12-17-2019, 05:17 PM

How would it be done? If you tell them they are going to be let go and ask could they stick around until the bowl game and December signing period there may not be any jobs available for them. They will probably tell you to kiss their ass and go look for a job. If you don't tell them I think it is pretty crappy. It isn't happening unless they have jobs lined up with the agreement they can stay around for the bowl game but if I was a coach I would want all my new assistants coaches in house recruiting.

So I tend to agree with you.

StateDawg44
12-17-2019, 05:55 PM
How would it be done? If you tell them they are going to be let go and ask could they stick around until the bowl game and December signing period there may not be any jobs available for them. They will probably tell you to kiss their ass and go look for a job. If you don't tell them I think it is pretty crappy. It isn't happening unless they have jobs lined up with the agreement they can stay around for the bowl game but if I was a coach I would want all my new assistants coaches in house recruiting.

So I tend to agree with you.

Exactly. Yeah I think if it was going to happen it would've and should've already happened. All your points above are why.

Especially since ST and Strength and Conditioning coaches aren't even listed to have any commits they are responsible for on 24/7. Those are the two that need/needed to be canned. So recruiting reasons don't really stand to keep them until we get some signatures so we didn't rock the boat with a recruit. It could be that 247 doesn't break it down that in depth though. I'm not familiar enough with how that works. At this point you're putting them out in the cold but no need to try to stand on moral high ground. We've already done enough of that in keeping Moorhead.

The hammer should've been dropped on said assistants Friday, Nov. 29 and the new hire/hires (OC, ST, S&C) announced that following Monday. I'd be ok if we would've shopped around a little while for an OC. But I feel that ship has sailed and honestly was never even afloat.

Jarius
12-17-2019, 06:20 PM
I could see that strategy. However, neither of the coaches in this thread recruited Brown or Metcalf to Ole miss. What top players or elite that you referring to?

I’m not referring to us hiring either in this thread. I’m telling that wide receiver coaches and running back coaches get hired primarily to recruit. But since you brought it up, Nix is a big reason Ealy is at Ole Miss and Peeler landed multiple big receivers last year along with being the lead recruiter on the big time recruit from Kosciusko that would have probably signed with them next year if he was not fired.

msbulldog
12-17-2019, 07:48 PM
There was no ill-will in my post to you but it reads that way maybe. My bad.

Regardless your response didn't apply to my question since I quoted someone talking about US hiring Nix or US making staff changes.

But thanks for attempting to answer my question and stating the obvious that OM is making staff changes......Dik

See which post doesn't belong here?

No problem, we're all Dawgs! HAIL STATE!