PDA

View Full Version : Our Recruiting

Todd4State
12-14-2019, 11:38 PM
Personally I think the thing I like the most about recruiting is the team building. Is easy to get caught up in the stars and all of that BS- Hi Ole Miss fans!- but the reality is there is more to it than that. And I always think about classes in terms of three groups. For example the 2019, 2020, and 2021 class all kind of go together because as a group that will essentially be our team in 2023 and they will be mostly juniors and seniors by then. So here's what I am seeing for 2023.

QB- Shrader would have been good to redshirt if possible but I feel good about Will Rogers. Rogers is a winner as evidenced by today. We just need to make sure that we get him some weapons. Rogers appears to be a great leader and that's really what I value out of a QB more than anything else. I also like that he is coming in for bowl practice. We also need to get Ty Keyes and Luke Altmyer and if we do we'll be in great shape.

RB- After watching some film I feel better about Marks coming in. He's bigger than I thought too. He will be a legit running back. And I like that we have the running back from Starkville committed- Amariyon Howard for 2021. I could definitely see Marks being a three year guy like Hill. Dillion Johnson from Greenville St. Joseph's may play running back too.

WR/TE- We really need to hit on outside receivers big time next year and the good news is there are several in the state next year. This may sound crazy but I would be OK if we took 5-6 of them next year if we could. Make a couple of them tight ends for down the road. We are getting Tulu who is a slot WR that is a four star Under Armour All-American and I think we could get Alex Adams in a couple of years potentially if he has to go the JUCO route. Jaden Walley appears to be a really underrated receiver.

OL- We were able to redshirt Charles Cross a five star player as well as Brandon Cunningham and Nick Pendley. Missing on Xavier Hill was big though. Calvin McMillan and Grant Jackson are both typical raw Mississippi offensive linemen who could be good after developing in a college weight room and with college coaching. We really need to get at least a couple more high school offensive linemen in the class. We appear to be in decent shape here but with work to do probably after the early signing period.

DL- We are off to a great start here. We were able to redshirt DeMonte Russell who was a four star UA All-American and Jevon Banks and Armondous Cooley both played very well in the ASG today. Banks and Cooley could get a fourth star after the re-ranking. Missing on McKinley Jackson sucks but it is what it is. We really need to find another DE to book end with Russell in 2021. I'm not sold on Jack Harris yet.

LB- Probably our second biggest need behind WR. The good news is we are off to a good start with Kadarius Calloway in 2021 and we will see if our staff ends up offering Tyrese Hopkins and I have a feeling that they will after the early signing period. This position should be a priority in 2021.

CB- I think Emmanuel Forbes will end up here and I would think that Jaden Walley would give us an inside track on Justin Walley in 2021. We also have Cameron Threatt committed so we look pretty good here.

S- Janari Dean appears to be a four star caliber player that is underrated. I could see Dillion Johnson playing safety as well down the road.

Hybrid defenders- JP Purvis almost lost his redshirt this year and I think he will be a good nickle/OLB type player for us. I'm not sure where Dylan Lawrence will play- he's 6'4" but very slightly built. Javorrius Selmon can help us out in nickel situations as well potentially.

K/P- Probably more of a need in a couple of years.

Homedawg
12-15-2019, 12:10 AM
We won't get both Keyes and altmeyer.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-15-2019, 09:45 AM
We won't get both Keyes and altmeyer.

My thoughts exactly. That would mean either one of them would not be very smart.

Ari Gold
12-15-2019, 09:49 AM
The answer is Keys .. and it’s not really close IMO..

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-15-2019, 10:02 AM
The answer is Keys .. and it’s not really close IMO..

Agree. I have not been all that impressed with Altmyer

KB21
12-15-2019, 10:13 AM
Personally I think the thing I like the most about recruiting is the team building. Is easy to get caught up in the stars and all of that BS- Hi Ole Miss fans!- but the reality is there is more to it than that. And I always think about classes in terms of three groups. For example the 2019, 2020, and 2021 class all kind of go together because as a group that will essentially be our team in 2023 and they will be mostly juniors and seniors by then. So here's what I am seeing for 2023.

QB- Shrader would have been good to redshirt if possible but I feel good about Will Rogers. Rogers is a winner as evidenced by today. We just need to make sure that we get him some weapons. Rogers appears to be a great leader and that's really what I value out of a QB more than anything else. I also like that he is coming in for bowl practice. We also need to get Ty Keyes and Luke Altmyer and if we do we'll be in great shape.

RB- After watching some film I feel better about Marks coming in. He's bigger than I thought too. He will be a legit running back. And I like that we have the running back from Starkville committed- Amariyon Howard for 2021. I could definitely see Marks being a three year guy like Hill. Dillion Johnson from Greenville St. Joseph's may play running back too.

WR/TE- We really need to hit on outside receivers big time next year and the good news is there are several in the state next year. This may sound crazy but I would be OK if we took 5-6 of them next year if we could. Make a couple of them tight ends for down the road. We are getting Tulu who is a slot WR that is a four star Under Armour All-American and I think we could get Alex Adams in a couple of years potentially if he has to go the JUCO route. Jaden Walley appears to be a really underrated receiver.

OL- We were able to redshirt Charles Cross a five star player as well as Brandon Cunningham and Nick Pendley. Missing on Xavier Hill was big though. Calvin McMillan and Grant Jackson are both typical raw Mississippi offensive linemen who could be good after developing in a college weight room and with college coaching. We really need to get at least a couple more high school offensive linemen in the class. We appear to be in decent shape here but with work to do probably after the early signing period.

DL- We are off to a great start here. We were able to redshirt DeMonte Russell who was a four star UA All-American and Jevon Banks and Armondous Cooley both played very well in the ASG today. Banks and Cooley could get a fourth star after the re-ranking. Missing on McKinley Jackson sucks but it is what it is. We really need to find another DE to book end with Russell in 2021. I'm not sold on Jack Harris yet.

LB- Probably our second biggest need behind WR. The good news is we are off to a good start with Kadarius Calloway in 2021 and we will see if our staff ends up offering Tyrese Hopkins and I have a feeling that they will after the early signing period. This position should be a priority in 2021.

CB- I think Emmanuel Forbes will end up here and I would think that Jaden Walley would give us an inside track on Justin Walley in 2021. We also have Cameron Threatt committed so we look pretty good here.

S- Janari Dean appears to be a four star caliber player that is underrated. I could see Dillion Johnson playing safety as well down the road.

Hybrid defenders- JP Purvis almost lost his redshirt this year and I think he will be a good nickle/OLB type player for us. I'm not sure where Dylan Lawrence will play- he's 6'4" but very slightly built. Javorrius Selmon can help us out in nickel situations as well potentially.

K/P- Probably more of a need in a couple of years.

You don’t think Izuchuckwu King Ani has the potential to bookend Demonte Russell? I think those two with Banks give us a nice trio to build on.

Todd4State
12-15-2019, 10:16 AM
You don’t think Izuchuckwu King Ani has the potential to bookend Demonte Russell? I think those two with Banks give us a nice trio to build on.

I want to see if he can get healthy first. I think he’s a huge question mark at this time.

tcdog70
12-15-2019, 10:30 AM
Who is recruiting Trey Tuggle. He looked good in the drills and the game.

Todd4State
12-15-2019, 10:32 AM

I believe he is committed to Tulane. Someone told me in November that he was coming to MSU though.

WSOPdawg
12-15-2019, 02:08 PM
Great insight, Todd. Much appreciated.

ejdallas322
12-15-2019, 04:32 PM
Watch Dillon Johnson's highlights. He is a monster and is very underrated in my opinion. How was he not invited to the all star game?

Todd4State
12-15-2019, 04:55 PM
Watch Dillon Johnson's highlights. He is a monster and is very underrated in my opinion. How was he not invited to the all star game?

He played for a MAIS school and therefore wasn't eligible to play.

Bothrops
12-15-2019, 04:57 PM

Private HS

TheLostDawg
12-15-2019, 06:08 PM
Thanks and I believe Hill going early gives us a better shot in two years when we should make our next run.

Todd4State
12-15-2019, 06:16 PM
Thanks and I believe Hill going early gives us a better shot in two years when we should make our next run.

That’s a good point.

timotheus
12-15-2019, 07:35 PM
I guess I'm with u on that..........******** a run at what exactly?

Homedawg
12-15-2019, 08:22 PM

Everything I heard was he was highly overrated and it was a marginal sign at best. Wo injury.

pilldawg
12-15-2019, 08:43 PM
Everything I heard was he was highly overrated and it was a marginal sign at best. Wo injury.

All I heard was that Bama wanted King Ani during his recruitment

Homedawg
12-15-2019, 09:16 PM
All I heard was that Bama wanted King Ani during his recruitment

That's not accurate...

Captain Falcon
12-15-2019, 09:32 PM
Ty Keyes is the best QB prospect to come out of this state in a long time. I’m sure the Altmyer kid is fine but Keyes should be priority number one.

MetEdDawg
12-15-2019, 09:34 PM
That's not accurate...

My Bama friends who pay for their content (and actually went to Alabama) said he was a fallback plan and that if there was a spot in the end he would have gotten one.

Said injuries did turn their staff off but that they liked him.

RougeDawg
12-15-2019, 10:02 PM
We better start recruiting top 15 teams to expect top 50 play. Until we get a coach who can coach players up like Don did we will struggle. Coaching players to their level would have led to 3-4 more wins the last two years. What we have coached them down.

Our recruiting does not matter one f*cking bit when the current buffoon squad coaches them down in talent level. We could land the top classed in the nation for 4 years and still not crack the top 10 with the rocket surgeon offense we try to run.

Until JoVester is gone, all of these recruiting/next seasons threads are just mental exercises. Similar to busy work when you had a substitute. Pointless.

3rdGen
12-15-2019, 11:17 PM
Solid post man.... I hate to think I will waste another season saying well “next year”. Just trying to stay positive and focus on hunting and only MSU basketball and a recording of the egg bowl. Still enjoying the case of the shanks. I want joe to figure it out and if “4th.read.shrader” is the real deal, hen maybe the offense will get better. No evidence to show Joe will get it done but I prefer glass half full views. It just makes life better.

Percho
12-16-2019, 12:05 AM
Not weather you think he can or not but do you want Jo Vester to succeed or not at MSU?

Todd4State
12-16-2019, 12:12 AM
Not weather you think he can or not but do you want Jo Vester to succeed or not at MSU?

Honestly, I'm fine either way. If he figures it out- and to be completely fair some coaches do in year three- that's fine. If he doesn't figure it out we'll get another coach. So to me while there may be some short term pain from a football fan standpoint there is still long term optimism. The biggest thing I don't like is him calling our fans out. I get it- no one likes to be booed but you don't bite the hands of the people that are spending thousands of dollars to watch your product fail and then call them out.

So for me I guess the answer to the question is I want him to succeed because that would mean that MSU is doing well. But I'm also not going to blindly support him either.

Bdawg
12-16-2019, 01:07 AM

I believe he is committed to Tulane. Someone told me in November that he was coming to MSU though.

Seems he just decomitted tonight. Maybe he is in play now.

Todd4State
12-16-2019, 01:18 AM
Seems he just decomitted tonight. Maybe he is in play now.

Wow. Maybe my source was correct. On paper he certainly has SEC measurables and I think he could profile as a center which would be a need for us in this class. I would certainly have no problem taking him.

Dawgfan77
12-16-2019, 06:50 AM
Joevester couldnt develop a Polaroid

timotheus
12-16-2019, 07:42 AM
Many here in the fold certainly share the sentiment of 77.