PDA

View Full Version : Hey Lambert and TUSK

parabrave
12-14-2019, 03:25 PM
and the rest of you subserviants (Marines) to the Navy, GO ARMY.

Leroy Jenkins
12-14-2019, 05:07 PM
One thing that I think most people don't know about service Academy ball is that the players have to make weight for their particular service before graduation. This is the thing that limits the competitive level of service academy ball more than anything else I think. For example, if you're going to go into the Marine Corps and you are a 6'4" O-lineman you will have to meet height and weight standards before graduation. If the maximum weight for a person that is let's say6'3" is 216lbs, 6'4" 220lbs, and so on..., and if you play at 280 pounds, you have to make the weight limit for your height before graduation. You have the time between the end of football season in January and graduation in May to drop that weight. You also have to pass fitness tests that would be impossible at that weight. So, you can't get bigger than what you can cut before graduation.

SailingDawg
12-14-2019, 05:44 PM
I know a certain o-line of Air Force members that blew our Bulldogs off the line one cold December in Memphis. They were definitely smaller, but came off the line faster.

parabrave
12-14-2019, 06:28 PM
One thing that I think most people don't know about service Academy ball is that the lineman have to make weight for their particular service before graduation. This is the thing that limits the competitive level of service academy ball more than anything else I think. For example, if you're going to go into the Marine Corps and you are a 6'4" O-lineman you will have to meet height and weight standards before graduation. If the maximum weight for a person that is let's say6'3" is 216lbs, 6'4" 220lbs etc.., and if you play at 280 pounds, you have to make the weight limit for your height before graduation. You have the time between the end of football season in January and graduation in May to drop that weight. You also have to pass fitness tests that would be impossible at that weight. So, you can't get bigger than what you can cut before graduation.

We had a few of academy players in my unit, 82nd Abn Div, and they did make weight, Body weight test, because there was no fat on these guys. All muscle. Plus most of them lose that weight when they quit eating that football diet.

Leroy Jenkins
12-14-2019, 06:30 PM
We had a few of academy players in my unit, 82nd Abn Div, and they did make weight, Body weight test, because there was no fat on these guys. All muscle. Plus most of them lose that weight when they quit eating that football diet.

If they were in your unit then they had to meet the standards. Can't graduate otherwise.

parabrave
12-14-2019, 06:50 PM
2 ways of making weight, regular weight scale or the body fat standards.

dawgoneyall
12-14-2019, 07:31 PM
Have a nephew who played (started) at MSU at middle linebacker at 238. By June he was at 195. And before you ask....no steroids involved.

BhamDawg205
12-14-2019, 09:05 PM
Semper Fidelis... I played 3yrs stationed at Cherry Point, NC. We had to maintain weight and pass PT. But all players at least same restrictions.

BhamDawg205
12-14-2019, 09:09 PM
2 ways of making weight, regular weight scale or the body fat standards.

Yeah it was your body mass ( fat) had to meet height requirements. It was he'll running muscled up, burnt way more oxygen.

gravedigger
12-14-2019, 09:15 PM
If they were in your unit then they had to meet the standards. Can't graduate otherwise.

It's called BMI and it is an exception to the height weight requirement. But your point is valid still.

TUSK
12-14-2019, 09:47 PM
Jack and I were considering starting a D-1 Marine Corps Football team that'd schedule a few AAC, ACC, and SWAC games... and maybe a couple SEC teams....

Unfortunately, Army, Navy, and the Air Force all conspired to have all our guys suspended, pre-season, for "targeting"...

gawd...

parabrave
12-14-2019, 10:58 PM
Jack and I were considering starting a D-1 Marine Corps Football team that'd schedule a few AAC, ACC, and SWAC games... and maybe a couple SEC teams....

Unfortunately, Army, Navy, and the Air Force all conspired to have all our guys suspended, pre-season, for "targeting"...

gawd...

I thought it was because the Navy would only spring for Leather helmets they had in storage since 1920.

Jack Lambert
12-14-2019, 11:13 PM
I thought it was because the Navy would only spring for Leather helmets they had in storage since 1920.

Hell all I need is a stick and i will go to war. The first thing the taught me in Marine Corp Martial Art School was anything on the battle field is a weapon.

Liverpooldawg
12-15-2019, 12:07 AM
I love the Army-Navy game. It's a throw back to the way college football used to be, and still should be. It tops my sports bucket list. I'm going some year before I die.

TUSK
12-15-2019, 02:46 AM
Hell all I need is a stick and i will go to war. The first thing the taught me in Marine Corp Martial Art School was anything on the battle field is a weapon.

That GD E-Tool is magical....

PCHSDawg
12-15-2019, 03:55 AM
Glad to see order restored! Hail State and go Navy!

viverlibre
12-15-2019, 08:11 AM
One thing that I think most people don't know about service Academy ball is that the players have to make weight for their particular service before graduation. This is the thing that limits the competitive level of service academy ball more than anything else I think. For example, if you're going to go into the Marine Corps and you are a 6'4" O-lineman you will have to meet height and weight standards before graduation. If the maximum weight for a person that is let's say6'3" is 216lbs, 6'4" 220lbs, and so on..., and if you play at 280 pounds, you have to make the weight limit for your height before graduation. You have the time between the end of football season in January and graduation in May to drop that weight. You also have to pass fitness tests that would be impossible at that weight. So, you can't get bigger than what you can cut before graduation.

I can only speak for the AF, but I'd bet they can get by with a "body fat"/"tape test." They are not going to invest 4 plus years in a cadet and not let him commission due to being a 6 foot 5 inch 290 LB OL. USAFA football players are held in especially high regard when it comes to first assignments.