PDA

View Full Version : Note on coaching staff hiring process

BeastMan
12-12-2019, 07:01 PM
I know we are all looking for who Moorehead is looking to bring on and I hate to say it but I wouldn't get my hopes up for a big name. If ya'll haven't noticed, Jimmy Sexton is the most powerful agent in the country but he's the unofficial king of the SEC. If your HC isn't a Sexton client, good luck on the market. Look at Mullen. He had a horrid time finding consistency at DC and then he hired Sexton as his agent when he was ready to get a new gig. What happened? He immediately gets Grantham because Jimmy knew he could better shop Mullen with a name at DC. Look at Kiffin at OM. All these big names getting mentioned and interviewed are because of Jimmy. Luke gets fired and within weeks he's got an $800k OL gig at UGA for Kirby, also a Sexton client. Who got the Arky job when shit went crazy? A nobody named Sam Pittman who is also a Sexton client. Who is rumored to be a candidate at Arky for DC? Oh, Barry Odom another Sexton client. Jimmy Sexton is the guy who is getting guys hired, placed, and moved. I'd love someone to convince me why we aren't at a coaching staff disadvantage because our HC isn't a Sexton guy.

Maroonthirteen
12-12-2019, 07:10 PM
Why wouldn’t Sexton get Odom the Memphis HC job
For 2.5M instead a coordinator job ? If he is the puppet master.

Cooterpoot
12-12-2019, 07:12 PM
Mullen was with Sexton before that last year. You’re overthinking this. Sexton’s job is to get his clients a job. He doesn’t care who it’s with if the money is good. Our problem is Joe isn’t going to change everything that needs it and Cohen isn’t paying for shit. Instead of the Intense Bastard, you should call him the Cheap Bastard.

BeastMan
12-12-2019, 07:21 PM
Why wouldn’t Sexton get Odom the Memphis HC job
For 2.5M instead a coordinator job ? If he is the puppet master.

He’s rumored as a candidate there. The point isn’t the specific places it’s that he makes things happen. Odom was 4-24 vs ranked teams at Mizzou. The fact that he’s even being considered at UM is wild.

BeastMan
12-12-2019, 07:23 PM
Mullen was with Sexton before that last year. You’re overthinking this. Sexton’s job is to get his clients a job. He doesn’t care who it’s with if the money is good. Our problem is Joe isn’t going to change everything that needs it and Cohen isn’t paying for shit. Instead of the Intense Bastard, you should call him the Cheap Bastard.

Mullen switched from diamond to Sexton so he could move and he lands a DC and gets moved. This is after years of trying to leave and couldn’t land jobs.

I’m not overthinking anything. If JoMo was a Jimmy guy he’d get more names in front of him. It’s simple.

HoopsDawg
12-12-2019, 07:26 PM
I mean who would want to come be our offensive coordinator with Joe as the coach? No one established I imagine.

Cooterpoot
12-12-2019, 07:31 PM
Mullen switched from Sugar to Sexton so he could move and he lands a DC and gets moved. This is after years of trying to leave and couldn’t land jobs.

I’m not overthinking anything. If JoMo was a Jimmy guy he’d get more names in front of him. It’s simple.

But that wasn’t his last year. That was a couple years before. Mullen hires Collins, Manny, Grantham all good DCs. He didn’t have trouble finding guys.

BeastMan
12-12-2019, 07:52 PM
But that wasn’t his last year. That was a couple years before. Mullen hires Collins, Manny, Grantham all good DCs. He didn’t have trouble finding guys.

Mullen wasn't extended in 2015. He let go of Diamond and hired Sexton in 2016. Jimmy got Mullen Grantham (another Sexton guy) for 2017 and moved both of them that offseason. When we hired JoMo there were 6 SEC openings and Sexton filled 5 of those. We were the only school not to hire a Sexton guy. Manny and Collins were both virtual nobodies when Mullen got them

Cooterpoot
12-12-2019, 07:57 PM
I’d rather see Joe with Sexton so HE can find a job. Not worried about asst.

DLGDawg
12-12-2019, 08:25 PM

Ha. For real. Brilliant!!

BeastMan
12-12-2019, 08:34 PM

Lmao touche.

My point in the thread is pointing out what is looking like an enormous disadvantage we have in hiring new guys I think everyone agrees we need. JoMo is pretty new to P5 coaching so he doesn’t have a huge personal contact list. Factor in that Sexton is the straw that stirs the drink in the south and here we are.

DLGDawg
12-12-2019, 09:01 PM
Lmao touche.

My point in the thread is pointing out what is looking like an enormous disadvantage we have in hiring new guys I think everyone agrees we need. JoMo is pretty new to P5 coaching so he doesn’t have a huge personal contact list. Factor in that Sexton is the straw that stirs the drink in the south and here we are.

That?s a scary thought for one agent to have that much influence over 14 SEC teams.

Todd4State
12-12-2019, 09:24 PM
So did Cohen not realize that he should hire a Sexton client or did he go cheap? Let's get straight to the point.

Coach34
12-12-2019, 10:04 PM
I mean who would want to come be our offensive coordinator with Joe as the coach? No one established I imagine.

Why do people think we are trying to hire an offensive coordinator? Our HC is an offensive genius and he aint ever giving up any kind of control of his offense.

DLGDawg
12-12-2019, 10:15 PM
Our HC is an offensive genius and he aint ever giving up any kind of control of his offense.

As others have said .....an offensive genius who can?t score points!!

timotheus
12-12-2019, 10:25 PM
He'd be a star at Milsaps.

BeastMan
12-12-2019, 11:05 PM
So did Cohen not realize that he should hire a Sexton client or did he go cheap? Let's get straight to the point.

I’m not saying you can’t hire a non Sexton guy. All I’m saying is that there are risk with young coaches in that they have to put together a staff and then maintain that staff through turnover without a big personal Rolodex. Mullen was an assistant for 15 years at numerous stops and he had headaches getting this done. Sexton opens you up a lot more options which is huge if you don’t have a large network. IF JoMo is out looking for new blood, and he should be, he’s doing it without much career capitol, the smallest assistant salary pool in the SEC, and outside of the network of the best agent in CFB. Not saying it can’t be done but to make it happen you’re overcoming a lot.

Lumpy Chucklelips
12-12-2019, 11:12 PM
17!!! I come to this board hoping to see something to get my hopes up a little. Every thread I open gets me more depressed than the one before. Answer me this....we lose our best offensive player for next year. We don't add any legitimate game breakers at WR for next year....and don't give me Heath is a 4*!!....hell, it's not even a given that Heath will be here for spring, much less be a legitimate SEC WR. He wasn't even the leading reciever on his juco team. I just don't see it. I've never been pessimistic, but after this year....I'm just at a loss. And if we can JoMo after next year, you can kiss those four 4 star WR's goodbye pretty much. Unless we knock it out of the park with a hire, which c'mon, do you think the Cheap Bastard....I love that name now....but do you really feel confident in Cohen making another hire? I'm sorry. I'm just over it. This is like walking in front of a firing squad next year.

Todd4State
12-12-2019, 11:51 PM
I’m not saying you can’t hire a non Sexton guy. All I’m saying is that there are risk with young coaches in that they have to put together a staff and then maintain that staff through turnover without a big personal Rolodex. Mullen was an assistant for 15 years at numerous stops and he had headaches getting this done. Sexton opens you up a lot more options which is huge if you don’t have a large network. IF JoMo is out looking for new blood, and he should be, he’s doing it without much career capitol, the smallest assistant salary pool in the SEC, and outside of the network of the best agent in CFB. Not saying it can’t be done but to make it happen you’re overcoming a lot.

I see what you are saying but it's also very apparent that if you don't hire a Sexton guy you are putting yourself at a disadvantage which is something that obviously doesn't make sense for us to do.

It's mistakes like that which hold us back in football. And it really puzzles me because I think we have a much higher ceiling than what it seems like our administration believes or is maybe willing to do. If there is anything that has happened since the Egg Bowl I sincerely hope that our administration at least starts to understand that our expectations are higher.

RougeDawg
12-13-2019, 12:36 AM
Mullen wasn't extended in 2015. He let go of Diamond and hired Sexton in 2016. Jimmy got Mullen Grantham (another Sexton guy) for 2017 and moved both of them that offseason. When we hired JoMo there were 6 SEC openings and Sexton filled 5 of those. We were the only school not to hire a Sexton guy. Manny and Collins were both virtual nobodies when Mullen got them

Let?s not forget that Mullen hired Sexton after a couple key events in the timeline. The South Alabama loss after the ways 2014 and 2015 ended from job shopping set things to motion. A few weeks after the loss in shorts, Keenum took the reigns from Loafers and gave Don the ultimatum to stop job shopping and make staff changes to the country club. I posted this at the time it happened and was told I did not know anything and had no clue what was going on. Then all of a sudden Sexton was hired, Don limped through 2016. Had a decent 2017 and was going to TN before Florida missed on their initial target(s). Ironically Loafers found another landing spot too, after he was told to start looking if he would not force Don to adhere to the ultimatum. Loafers knew he could not force Don to change and Don knew he was not going to fire any of the country club. He hired Sexton because he knew he was leaving at first chance. After 2016, no one really wanted him.

Funny how people only believe what they want to believe at the time, instead of things people are trying to say about what really is happening.

ETA. I’ve need a guest in Keenums box many times. And I do not post things unless certain people inform me. And other certain people confirm what was said.

Todd4State
12-13-2019, 01:34 AM
Let?s not forget that Mullen hired Sexton after a couple key events in the timeline. The South Alabama loss after the ways 2014 and 2015 ended from job shopping set things to motion. A few weeks after the loss in shorts, Keenum took the reigns from Loafers and gave Don the ultimatum to stop job shopping and make staff changes to the country club. I posted this at the time it happened and was told I did not know anything and had no clue what was going on. Then all of a sudden Sexton was hired, Don limped through 2016. Had a decent 2017 and was going to TN before Florida missed on their initial target(s). Ironically Loafers found another landing spot too, after he was told to start looking if he would not force Don to adhere to the ultimatum. Loafers knew he could not force Don to change and Don knew he was not going to fire any of the country club. He hired Sexton because he knew he was leaving at first chance. After 2016, no one really wanted him.

Funny how people only believe what they want to believe at the time, instead of things people are trying to say about what really is happening.

ETA. I’ve need a guest in Keenums box many times. And I do not post things unless certain people inform me. And other certain people confirm what was said.

I wish Keenum would take the reigns again with Moorhead. It will probably come to that eventually.

Cowbell
12-13-2019, 04:32 AM
17!!! I come to this board hoping to see something to get my hopes up a little. Every thread I open gets me more depressed than the one before. Answer me this....we lose our best offensive player for next year. We don't add any legitimate game breakers at WR for next year....and don't give me Heath is a 4*!!....hell, it's not even a given that Heath will be here for spring, much less be a legitimate SEC WR. He wasn't even the leading reciever on his juco team. I just don't see it. I've never been pessimistic, but after this year....I'm just at a loss. And if we can JoMo after next year, you can kiss those four 4 star WR's goodbye pretty much. Unless we knock it out of the park with a hire, which c'mon, do you think the Cheap Bastard....I love that name now....but do you really feel confident in Cohen making another hire? I'm sorry. I'm just over it. This is like walking in front of a firing squad next year.

Glad reality has set in for you, Be warned that some here will give you are hard time about being realistic instead of happy we are bowling...

BeastMan
12-13-2019, 10:44 AM
I wish Keenum would take the reigns again with Moorhead. It will probably come to that eventually.

He did and that’s why he was kept after winning the EB

Todd4State
12-13-2019, 07:37 PM
He did and that’s why he was kept after winning the EB

Thanks. That’s one of the things I’ve been trying to figure out. Pretty crazy if true.

Coach34
12-13-2019, 07:48 PM
I remember just a few years ago I specifically told this Board Mullen switched to Sexton because he wanted out. Liverpool, Gravedigger, and the crew tried to say that was crazy and I just hated Mullen. As usual, I'm usually proven correct.

Again I say- why do people think we are making coaching staff changes? Hiring some OC to come in and make changes? Our HC is not giving up control of the offense and he will continue to control what the S&C does as well as the ST coach. Micromanager gonna micromanage

Todd4State
12-13-2019, 07:55 PM
I remember just a few years ago I specifically told this Board Mullen switched to Sexton because he wanted out. Liverpool, Gravedigger, and the crew tried to say that was crazy and I just hated Mullen. As usual, I'm usually proven correct.

Again I say- why do people think we are making coaching staff changes? Hiring some OC to come in and make changes? Our HC is not giving up control of the offense and he will continue to control what the S&C does as well as the ST coach. Micromanager gonna micromanage

People think that changes are coming because that’s what the MSU media people are saying on Genespage. Whether it’s just different faces that are micromanaged and just for optics remains to be seen and probably will be the case.

TheLostDawg
12-13-2019, 07:59 PM
I?m not saying you can?t hire a non Sexton guy. All I?m saying is that there are risk with young coaches in that they have to put together a staff and then maintain that staff through turnover without a big personal Rolodex. Mullen was an assistant for 15 years at numerous stops and he had headaches getting this done. Sexton opens you up a lot more options which is huge if you don?t have a large network. IF JoMo is out looking for new blood, and he should be, he?s doing it without much career capitol, the smallest assistant salary pool in the SEC, and outside of the network of the best agent in CFB. Not saying it can?t be done but to make it happen you?re overcoming a lot.

Go to bed Jimmy

Dallas_Dawg
12-14-2019, 06:48 PM
As usual, I'm usually proven correct.

Well except on certain things like "moorhead is gone win or loss. Gene Chizik is the leading candidate." LOL @ Coach 34. You get trolled so often that its tough to buy in any more. The "Moorhead is gone" narrative is going to be a tough one to live down, but per your quote above, it doesn't appear that you think so.

Coach34
12-14-2019, 07:01 PM
Well except on certain things like "moorhead is gone win or loss. Gene Chizik is the leading candidate." LOL @ Coach 34. You get trolled so often that its tough to buy in any more. The "Moorhead is gone" narrative is going to be a tough one to live down, but per your quote above, it doesn't appear that you think so.

75% aint a bad percentage. Nobody is perfect

Coach34
12-14-2019, 07:05 PM
." LOL @ Coach 34.

You realize they trolled themselves with that right? OM was being investigated. We scooped everybody on that. Not our fault it took Pat Forde another year to break it nationally

was21
12-14-2019, 07:31 PM
Sexton represents corches who have a chance

gravedigger
12-14-2019, 07:35 PM

You have that post where I said you hated Mullen?

And your predictions are no more accurate than a flip of a coin.

Coach34
12-14-2019, 08:10 PM
And your predictions are no more accurate than a flip of a coin.

Predictions? Yes

Info? No

gravedigger
12-14-2019, 08:45 PM
Your memory of me posting anything like that is incorrect.

You just asserted it because Liverpool and I aren't as likely to accept what you put out at face value and the board knows it.

Now there are quite a few more who've learned their lesson after the battle for the egg all over your face bowl.