PDA

View Full Version : Chip Long- Notre Dame OC

HailStateSZN19
12-12-2019, 09:48 AM
Sounds like he is not returning to Notre Dame. Think he's in the running for the Memphis job but many of their fans want Silverfield to get it. Will be interesting to see what direction Memphis goes.

Another rumor is he's a potential candidate to fill the OC position at Arkansas. Or at least that's a rumor on their 247 board.

*IF* we are serious about looking for an OC, would you kick the tires on him and see if he'd consider us? He's a University of North Alabama alum where he played WR/TE so he's from around this area and coached at Memphis for a year too. Was the TE coach & Recruiting Coordinator at ASU with Norvell, OC/TE coach at Memphis for 1 year with Norvell, and has been at ND as the OC/TE for the last 3 years. He's pretty well respected as an OC isn't he? But I just don't know a ton about him as far as what his success at each place has been like or what kind of offense he generally runs. Just thought it was interesting that he isn't wanting to return to ND and seems he's a popular name right now for a couple spots but him being a UNA alum & being familiar with our general area, would it make sense to make a run at him?

TrapGame
12-12-2019, 10:10 AM
Joe is not turning his system/play calling over to someone that understands zero about his offense. I highly doubt we have a true OC with Moorhead. It will be OC in name only. One of the first interviews I saw with Joe he was asked about who calls the plays and he got a serious look on his face and said "I do. I call all the plays." Joe needs an OC so he can be the HC/CEO but I don't think he's gonna let it go.

Cooterpoot
12-12-2019, 10:42 AM
Moorhead isn’t going to change the offense. He’s going down with the ship. And Cohen is going to let him. This university can’t get out of its own way.

Jarius
12-12-2019, 10:58 AM
I am happy that Joe is not changing his offense to bring in a real OC. If his offense isn't going to work then there really is no point in keeping him. Sink or swim with his offense. His offense is the only reason he was hired. If he can't take over one half of the ball and make us only have to focus on keeping a good defensive coordinator then what good is he? If we want a good recruiter at head coach that we have to have 2 good coordinators to make everything work then there are many more big time recruiters out there than Joe Moorhead. Go hire someone like Arkansas just did if you want to go that route. A head coach needs to be elite at something or he is a complete waste of space. He needs to be able to recruit extremely well or he needs to be an elite offensive or defensive mind. Joe is a decent recruiter but the offensive mind is why he was hired. If he can't make the offense work well enough for us to win games then we need to hire someone else. Shit or get off of the pot this year.

RiverCityDawg
12-12-2019, 11:37 AM
I am happy that Joe is not changing his offense to bring in a real OC. If his offense isn't going to work then there really is no point in keeping him. Sink or swim with his offense. His offense is the only reason he was hired. If he can't take over one half of the ball and make us only have to focus on keeping a good defensive coordinator then what good is he? If we want a good recruiter at head coach that we have to have 2 good coordinators to make everything work then there are many more big time recruiters out there than Joe Moorhead. Go hire someone like Arkansas just did if you want to go that route. A head coach needs to be elite at something or he is a complete waste of space. He needs to be able to recruit extremely well or he needs to be an elite offensive or defensive mind. Joe is a decent recruiter but the offensive mind is why he was hired. If he can't make he offense work well enough for us to win games then we need to hire someone else. Shit or get off of the pot this year.

Agree 100%

In any profession, why after hiring someone because you thought they were elite at something, but upon finding out they can't do at all what you thought, would you retain them just because they are average at a few other things (and bad at some things too)? Unless you can't afford to make a change or there is literally no one better, neither of which should apply for us.

This is obviously all assuming he can't solve the offensive problems next year (while also fixing the consistent effort and sense of urgency issues).

Cowbell
12-12-2019, 11:52 AM
Moorhead isn?t going to change the offense. He?s going down with the ship. And Cohen is going to let him. This university can?t get out of its own way.

Glad to hear this. If he has to be told, we need to fold.

msbulldog
12-12-2019, 01:20 PM
Joe's too stubborn, he'll sink with that crap he calls and offensive system and take us with him. The only thing we can hope for is that he'll screw up so bad, we will fire him before mid season.

dawgs
12-12-2019, 01:28 PM
Just thought it was interesting that he isn't wanting to return to ND and seems he's a popular name right now for a couple spots but him being a UNA alum & being familiar with our general area, would it make sense to make a run at him?

We all know he isn't voluntarily just not interested in returning to ND without a HC job or another high end OC gig lined up.

Jarius
12-12-2019, 02:30 PM
Joe's too stubborn, he'll sink with that crap he calls and offensive system and take us with him. The only thing we can hope for is that he'll screw up so bad, we will fire him before mid season.

Or you could hope that he actually turns it around so we don't have to fire him.

HailStateSZN19
12-12-2019, 02:40 PM
Or you could hope that he actually turns it around so we don't have to fire him.

Exactly. Look, I was on the “let’s get rid of him & start over” train before and shortly after the EB. When it became official he was back, I dropped it. I don’t get the people that want him to sink next year just so we can get rid of him. If he sinks, we sink with him. He is OUR HC. If he sinks, our program sinks with him. I want him to turn it around. That’s the best possible outcome and scenario. Hopefully, he realizes what needs to change and makes the changes. I think if we win the bowl game & we open up the checkbook more and like try to pluck Feld from Oregon for S&C, make a good ST coach hire, and bring in a really good OC mind to add some wrinkles and variations to the offense, then fans can get a little optimism going into 2020 and can get some momentum. I hope like hell that Joe figures it out and wins 8 games next year and we roll forward into 2021 with a very strong roster that year. That’s the best possible outcome.

TrapGame
12-12-2019, 02:52 PM
Exactly. Look, I was on the “let’s get rid of him & start over” train before and shortly after the EB. When it became official he was back, I dropped it. I don’t get the people that want him to sink next year just so we can get rid of him. If he sinks, we sink with him. He is OUR HC. If he sinks, our program sinks with him. I want him to turn it around. That’s the best possible outcome and scenario. Hopefully, he realizes what needs to change and makes the changes. I think if we win the bowl game & we open up the checkbook more and like try to pluck Feld from Oregon for S&C, make a good ST coach hire, and bring in a really good OC mind to add some wrinkles and variations to the offense, then fans can get a little optimism going into 2020 and can get some momentum. I hope like hell that Joe figures it out and wins 8 games next year and we roll forward into 2021 with a very strong roster that year. That’s the best possible outcome.

Dude, he's not going to do that. This is his offense. If the Auburn game plan from 2018 didn't sway him to change up his offense to suit his players NOTHING will. He will not let somebody take over his offense and call plays. Even if we get an OC he will be a figurehead only.

Hey, I want Moorhead to succeed. It's the best thing for the program and the school. But, if he wasn't retooling his offense after 2018 I doubt he ever will. Instead of making the offense fit his players in 2019 he hit the transfer portal for a guy that "knew" his offense. To be this offensive genius Joe's not much of a genius. UK's OC retooled their offense to fit Bowden. He ran for 1,200 yards and they still finish 7-5.

HailStateSZN19
12-12-2019, 03:53 PM
Dude, he's not going to do that. This is his offense. If the Auburn game plan from 2018 didn't sway him to change up his offense to suit his players NOTHING will. He will not let somebody take over his offense and call plays. Even if we get an OC he will be a figurehead only.

Hey, I want Moorhead to succeed. It's the best thing for the program and the school. But, if he wasn't retooling his offense after 2018 I doubt he ever will. Instead of making the offense fit his players in 2019 he hit the transfer portal for a guy that "knew" his offense. To be this offensive genius Joe's not much of a genius. UK's OC retooled their offense to fit Bowden. He ran for 1,200 yards and they still finish 7-5.

I get it and understand that people keep pointing to the Auburn game last year. And yes, I agree it was ignorant to then never use that game plan again that year. But that was his 1st season handling a P5 SEC HC job. He's in different circumstances now. It wasn't "change this or get fired" at that point last season. The moves he makes this offseason before next season basically decides his fate. And maybe you're right, maybe he is just too damn stubborn to change anything even when his back is completely against the wall and his job 100% on the line next season. But the circumstances now are different and even though we all have hated the production of his offense here so far, Joe isn't dumb. He's a smart guy. I'm just trying to get some optimism in my head that since he's a smart guy, surely he realizes that he's squarely on the hot seat entering 2020 and some things have to change to try and generate some success next season to remain our HC going into the 2021 season.

And again, I'm not saying bring in an OC that throws Joe's offense out the window. It'd definitely have to be someone that runs a lot of the same stuff, just someone that can add some wrinkles and variations to what we do and run some tempo. I'd just have to assume it'd be someone who sees eye-to-eye with Joe on his scheme and understands it. I don't think it's so much that we need to completely throw the offense out the window, I think just bringing in someone who knows his scheme and understands it that could take away some game-day responsibility from Joe on offense would help. Joe just has his mind on too many things and in too many places and it shows on game days. He needs to delegate some things away so he can focus on being a HC first and foremost and then hopefully that creates some positive changes in areas because people are then more attentive to those areas instead of Joe demanding he be in control of all those areas and then each area doesn't get the necessary amount of attention paid to it. Try that next season and if we don't see improvements then, it's time to pull the plug and make the change.

timotheus
12-12-2019, 04:11 PM
The part about finding someone who knows his scheme and understands it got me. I don't think that person exists and if he did exist then Joe wouldn't pay him a lick of attention. That's why he blew up after lucking out the W in the BFTGE over a weak mediocre team. He thought he had accomplished something. I mean the game should have been 28-0 before half but nope. And I vividly remember the attempted pass plays. Oh my. But I know he will have Tommy healed up and healthy for the bowl game.

TrapGame
12-12-2019, 04:30 PM
I get it and understand that people keep pointing to the Auburn game last year. And yes, I agree it was ignorant to then never use that game plan again that year. But that was his 1st season handling a P5 SEC HC job. He's in different circumstances now. It wasn't "change this or get fired" at that point last season. The moves he makes this offseason before next season basically decides his fate. And maybe you're right, maybe he is just too damn stubborn to change anything even when his back is completely against the wall and his job 100% on the line next season. But the circumstances now are different and even though we all have hated the production of his offense here so far, Joe isn't dumb. He's a smart guy. I'm just trying to get some optimism in my head that since he's a smart guy, surely he realizes that he's squarely on the hot seat entering 2020 and some things have to change to try and generate some success next season to remain our HC going into the 2021 season.

And again, I'm not saying bring in an OC that throws Joe's offense out the window. It'd definitely have to be someone that runs a lot of the same stuff, just someone that can add some wrinkles and variations to what we do and run some tempo. I'd just have to assume it'd be someone who sees eye-to-eye with Joe on his scheme and understands it. I don't think it's so much that we need to completely throw the offense out the window, I think just bringing in someone who knows his scheme and understands it that could take away some game-day responsibility from Joe on offense would help. Joe just has his mind on too many things and in too many places and it shows on game days. He needs to delegate some things away so he can focus on being a HC first and foremost and then hopefully that creates some positive changes in areas because people are then more attentive to those areas instead of Joe demanding he be in control of all those areas and then each area doesn't get the necessary amount of attention paid to it. Try that next season and if we don't see improvements then, it's time to pull the plug and make the change.

Joe really needs an OC. Being a HC in the SEC is too big for him right now. He needs to be the CEO and delegate. I hope Cohen really pushed the OC idea to help him better acclimate himself to SEC coaching. To me the biiger things are S&C and STs. THose have to be changed ASAP. I think things will fall into place and having an OC to rely could be huge for Joe but he has to let it happen first.

HailStateSZN19
12-12-2019, 04:35 PM
Joe really needs an OC. Being a HC in the SEC is too big for him right now. He needs to be the CEO and delegate. I hope Cohen really pushed the OC idea to help him better acclimate himself to SEC coaching. To me the biiger things are S&C and STs. THose have to be changed ASAP. I think things will fall into place and having an OC to rely could be huge for Joe but he has to let it happen first.

100% agree. We will know soon after the bowl game either way. I think S&C and ST are very likely. But the OC decision tell me whether he will last through 2020 or not. If he makes an OC hire, I’ll be encouraged. If not. I’ll expect the offense to be even worse after losing Kylin.

TrapGame
12-12-2019, 04:54 PM
100% agree. We will know soon after the bowl game either way. I think S&C and ST are very likely. But the OC decision tell me whether he will last through 2020 or not. If he makes an OC hire, I’ll be encouraged. If not. I’ll expect the offense to be even worse after losing Kylin.

Yep. The best for him would be a young OC that shares his offensive philosophy maybe runs something with similar RPOs. With Kylin gone we might be trouble either way. I'm hoping the RBs step up big time next season.

Todd4State
12-14-2019, 02:47 PM

People would rather be ?right? even if it?s bad for MSU than wrong. That?s why it comes down to. And no I?m not saying that?s what they really want. Just how it comes off on the message boards.

If Joe does turn it around it will be pretty funny. That said it?s probably going to take 10-2 next year to win people back. He better hope the JUCO?s are as good as two years ago.

Todd4State
12-14-2019, 02:49 PM

Even if he does hire an OC there is no guarantee that he will let him call the majority of the plays. This isn’t an Orgeron situation.

BhamDawg205
12-14-2019, 09:48 PM

A lot of us got off the Joe train in 2018. But the love for MSU and wanting the team to succeed in 2019 got us back on or put us in a "what and see" mode. We know Tutorgate happened, but got more of the same on offense. Plus ST and S&C took a huge step back. 97% +/- want Joe to succeed in 2020, 8 or better wins. Question is will Joe put Joe's ego above MSU success? They or tied at the hip. Closing, Joe either does what it takes or Cohen CYOA and fires Joe.

Dawgtini
12-15-2019, 12:27 AM
A lot of us got off the Joe train in 2018. But the love for MSU and wanting the team to succeed in 2019 got us back on or put us in a "what and see" mode. We know Tutorgate happened, but got more of the same on offense. Plus ST and S&C took a huge step back. 97% +/- want Joe to succeed in 2020, 8 or better wins. Question is will Joe put Joe's ego above MSU success? They or tied at the hip. Closing, Joe either does what it takes or Cohen CYOA and fires Joe.

Exactly. +1. He either puts up or moves out.