PDA

View Full Version : We Need To Talk Cohen And Salaries

confucius say
12-11-2019, 08:25 PM
So the USA Today came out with assistant football coaches salaries today. Portnoy has it on his Twitter for those interested.

The average SEC salary pool was 5.8 million. OM is now 5.2 million. We are at 3.68 million. Shoop was paid 600k. For comparison, Macyntire was paid 1.5 million. How the hell are we even keeping Shoop? This is on top of joe being the lowest paid head coach minus Pittman at Arkansas.

We were told when joe was hired that what we saved in his salary was going to be used in assistants. That obviously is not true. Sure would be nice to drop 2 million on joe Brady, which would bring us almost to the sec average of 5.8 million.

So what is the deal? Are we hurting for money? Is Cohen just being cheap?

DogsofAnarchy
12-11-2019, 08:30 PM
Legit question and I would also add that it might change some if we follow thru with the changes that have been discussed. Once again, I doubt we see any changes.

Pinto
12-11-2019, 08:41 PM
Got to stay in the black

Spiderman
12-11-2019, 08:58 PM
So the USA Today came out with assistant football coaches salaries today. Portnoy has it on his Twitter for those interested.

The average SEC salary pool was 5.8 million. OM is now 5.2 million. We are at 3.68 million. Shoop was paid 600k. For comparison, Macyntire was paid 1.5 million. How the hell are we even keeping Shoop? This is on top of joe being the lowest paid head coach minus Pittman at Arkansas.

We were told when joe was hired that what we saved in his salary was going to be used in assistants. That obviously is not true. Sure would be nice to drop 2 million on joe Brady, which would bring us almost to the sec average of 5.8 million.

AGAIN, it is about donations. Money talks, bullshit walks. Ole miss folks seem to be willing to give more. I heard today by a reporter that Ole Miss donations are expected to at least double this year due to the Kiffin hire.

I understand the apathy of giving with Moorhead, but where was the doubling of the donations in the Mullen years? Believe me, I think of myself as an above average donor, but it's gonna be hard to write that same check next year. But, if able, i will, because in reality, I want to win. And State can't without money.

Weather to hire or fire.

Homedawg
12-11-2019, 08:59 PM
Shoop was getting paid by uT still when he got here. And we agreed to a lesser salary Bc they still had to pay unless we paid what he was getting there....

Coach34
12-11-2019, 09:02 PM
We are in the bottom in the SEC in assistant salaries. We are in the bottom of the SEC in support staff to the football program with analysts and such.

But we are in the black!!!!

Cooterpoot
12-11-2019, 09:06 PM
BC is paying more. Shoop is making over $1M. But yeah, our University is an over the top, conservative school. Keenum has become quite disappointing. Cohen just sucks.

Lumpy Chucklelips
12-11-2019, 09:10 PM
Here are the links. We are a complete joke when it comes to salaries. And I know it comes down to donations and the like....or being innovative and maybe doing something like selling beer for one at games and throwing that in the pot.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/strength

I know we have a first time S&C coach....that is sad in its on rite....but we're spending $10,000 more than Charlotte in this position. Yeah....we're really serious about competing.

confucius say
12-11-2019, 10:15 PM
BC is paying more. Shoop is making over $1M. But yeah, our University is an over the top, conservative school. Keenum has become quite disappointing. Cohen just sucks.

According to the chart linked above, the 600k to Shoop includes BC money

TheLostDawg
12-11-2019, 10:15 PM
How are y'all blaming it on donations when we obviously have extra money to spend? You can't say we need more donations yet we have millions left over. If we were close to breaking even, yes I could see it. I'm all for more donations but when they aren't spending it, why should I give more money than I already do? If they want more, they need to have answers. Cohen and Keenum 's days are numbered if this keeps up. They are crazy if we're going to sit around and watch everyone climb over us. Great we don't have to spend like the big boys for most sports but in football, which is where we make our money, we do and are falling behind while everyone else is climbing. We should be taking advantage of this time but aren't

confucius say
12-11-2019, 10:17 PM
AGAIN, it is about donations. Money talks, bullshit walks. Ole miss folks seem to be willing to give more. I heard today by a reporter that Ole Miss donations are expected to at least double this year due to the Kiffin hire.

I understand the apathy of giving with Moorhead, but where was the doubling of the donations in the Mullen years? Believe me, I think of myself as an above average donor, but it's gonna be hard to write that same check next year. But, if able, i will, because in reality, I want to win. And State can't without money.

Weather to hire or fire.

But we were spending way more on Mullen and staff in 2017. Mullen and grantham alone were within a million of what we are paying the whole staff now. Are you saying donations tanked between August 2017 and August 2019?

Cooterpoot
12-11-2019, 10:21 PM
According to the chart linked above, the 600k to Shoop includes BC money

It’s not correct. I know for fact he’s pulling down over $1M.

confucius say
12-11-2019, 10:21 PM
How are y'all blaming it on donations when we obviously have extra money to spend? You can't say we need more donations yet we have millions left over. If we were close to breaking even, yes I could see it. I'm all for more donations but when they aren't spending it, why should I give more money than I already do? If they want more, they need to have answers. Cohen and Keenum 's days are numbered if this keeps up. They are crazy if we're going to sit around and watch everyone climb over us. Great we don't have to spend like the big boys for most sports but in football, which is where we make our money, we do and are falling behind while everyone else is climbing. We should be taking advantage of this time but aren't

This is where I am. The next time I get solicited for more money, I am going to ask what are we going to spend it on. Be accountable for it. Yall know I am one of the more pro Cohen, positive people on here, was one of the last to get off the joe mo train. But damn, what the hell are we doing saving all this money?

confucius say
12-11-2019, 10:22 PM
It’s not correct. I know for fact he’s pulling down over $1M.

Well that is comforting.

Cooterpoot
12-11-2019, 10:23 PM
Well that is comforting.

Now the rest of the staff and the off field staff stuff is pretty damn accurate. But we’re paying Shoop.

Homedawg
12-11-2019, 10:50 PM
Who do we have on staff that deserves more than what they are getting paid?? And who do we have that moorhead wants that he can get who deserves a big salary?? Name them and we will pay them.... I'll hang up and listen. The first person that says joe Brady is disqualified Bc I said people we can get.

ShotgunDawg
12-11-2019, 10:57 PM
Who do we have on staff that deserves more than what they are getting paid?? And who do we have that moorhead wants that he can get who deserves a big salary?? Name them and we will pay them.... I'll hang up and listen. The first person that says joe Brady is disqualified Bc I said people we can get.

The point is that we should be paying SEC football coaches SEC salaries.

It lowers the perception and value of our coaching jobs to not do so.

maroonmania
12-11-2019, 11:11 PM
The point is that we should be paying SEC football coaches SEC salaries.

It lowers the perception and value of our coaching jobs to not do so.

Plus, I've found in life that generally you get what you pay for.

Todd4State
12-11-2019, 11:13 PM
There is a major disconnect between fan expectations and athletic administration expectations and it's very obvious. The fans want to win the Egg Bowl- and as I said last night we should continue to strive to do that but at the same time the fans also want to win at a higher level than we currently are. The administration seems to be stuck in 2009 as far as expectations where we just wanted to win the Egg Bowl and go to a bowl. I think most fans now expect to win 8-10 games a year which I do think is reasonable personally.

If this was baseball would MSU's athletic administration handle this the same way? What we're doing in football would be like us making an assistant coach hire from the Big 12 and just being satisfied with making a regional. Personally I think MSU football has a much higher ceiling and I think the desire from the fans is there to try to reach it.

The other side of the coin is does Joe really know what it takes to win in the SEC at a high level? To be honest- I think the jury is still out and I think he is potentially capable of learning. But I think there is a point where the administration may be willing to give our football coach more money for recruiting and S&C and whatever else but then the issue is if the coach doesn't ASK for it then Cohen is not going to know to spend money on it. That's what impressed me so much about Napier. he obviously knows how to build a program in the SEC and that would be what it takes to take us to the next level. I don't think the athletic administration doesn't want to win. I'm not 100% sure that they don't know what it costs to win though.

If the numbers are correct and we made 14 million or whatever last year we should be able to invest 4-5 million in football easily and still be in the black. And maybe make up for the 4-5 million because of the success of the program. If not more.

KB21
12-11-2019, 11:34 PM
There is a major disconnect between fan expectations and athletic administration expectations and it's very obvious. The fans want to win the Egg Bowl- and as I said last night we should continue to strive to do that but at the same time the fans also want to win at a higher level than we currently are. The administration seems to be stuck in 2009 as far as expectations where we just wanted to win the Egg Bowl and go to a bowl. I think most fans now expect to win 8-10 games a year which I do think is reasonable personally.

If this was baseball would MSU's athletic administration handle this the same way? What we're doing in football would be like us making an assistant coach hire from the Big 12 and just being satisfied with making a regional. Personally I think MSU football has a much higher ceiling and I think the desire from the fans is there to try to reach it.

The other side of the coin is does Joe really know what it takes to win in the SEC at a high level? To be honest- I think the jury is still out and I think he is potentially capable of learning. But I think there is a point where the administration may be willing to give our football coach more money for recruiting and S&C and whatever else but then the issue is if the coach doesn't ASK for it then Cohen is not going to know to spend money on it. That's what impressed me so much about Napier. he obviously knows how to build a program in the SEC and that would be what it takes to take us to the next level. I don't think the athletic administration doesn't want to win. I'm not 100% sure that they don't know what it costs to win though.

If the numbers are correct and we made 14 million or whatever last year we should be able to invest 4-5 million in football easily and still be in the black. And maybe make up for the 4-5 million because of the success of the program. If not more.

I think he’s probably learning when to ask. There was a press conference, maybe it was before the Egg Bowl, where Joe was talking about the need for a new indoor practice facility and such.

Lumpy Chucklelips
12-11-2019, 11:34 PM
The new TV contract is on the horizon in the not too distant future...not sure exactly when. They're talking an additional 15-17 million a year. Surely to all that is sacred they will put some towards coaches salaries, and another area we haven't been mentioning.....recruiting budget. Which I'm sure is the smallest in the SEC as well.

Cowbell
12-12-2019, 12:18 AM
I think he?s probably learning when to ask. There was a press conference, maybe it was before the Egg Bowl, where Joe was talking about the need for a new indoor practice facility and such.

Our teams under him would only digress with more indoor facilities. He seems to want to protect them from the elements. - here in TX these high schools all have indoor practice facilities now and they wonder why their colleges can?t get to the next level anymore.

Todd4State
12-12-2019, 01:11 AM
I think he’s probably learning when to ask. There was a press conference, maybe it was before the Egg Bowl, where Joe was talking about the need for a new indoor practice facility and such.

That's the unfortunate thing about bringing in someone unfamiliar with the SEC. The learning curve has been pretty steep for Joe. Which is why I think 2020 is basically make or break for him.

The new TV contract is on the horizon in the not too distant future...not sure exactly when. They're talking an additional 15-17 million a year. Surely to all that is sacred they will put some towards coaches salaries, and another area we haven't been mentioning.....recruiting budget. Which I'm sure is the smallest in the SEC as well.

And that was one of the things that was mentioned in the article about Napier. From being at Alabama he knows how much to put into it from a financial and resource standpoint.

Todd4State
12-12-2019, 01:13 AM
Our teams under him would only digress with more indoor facilities. He seems to want to protect them from the elements. - here in TX these high schools all have indoor practice facilities now and they wonder why their colleges can?t get to the next level anymore.

Probably didn't have as much of an effect on us as the generally poor S&C overall. With players passing away recently at football practices across the country everyone is going to take more and more precautions. We do not want or need a Maryland football situation.

gravedigger
12-12-2019, 07:13 AM

My memory may be incorrect, but I don't think "we were told".

Seems like that was something we on message boards rationalized.

Really Clark?
12-12-2019, 07:24 AM
My memory may be incorrect, but I don't think "we were told".

Seems like that was something we on message boards rationalized.

Yeah we were. It was a point of emphasis when we hired him and written about by media.

https://www.djournal.com/sports/msu-notebook-moorhead-s-modest-contract-means-more-money-for/article_a68d710e-be7d-5c99-ad25-b5b03dcdc21e.html

msbulldog
12-12-2019, 07:34 AM

The CBS current contract is not up until 2022, so we have 2-3 more years before that new money is received.

gravedigger
12-12-2019, 08:36 AM
Yeah we were. It was a point of emphasis when we hired him and written about by media.

https://www.djournal.com/sports/msu-notebook-moorhead-s-modest-contract-means-more-money-for/article_a68d710e-be7d-5c99-ad25-b5b03dcdc21e.html

Thank you. I remember thinking it too, but couldnt remember if someone officially quoted it.

Tbonewannabe
12-12-2019, 08:51 AM

Weather to hire or fire.

But aren't we in the top of salaries in baseball? Also Vic is one of the highest paid in Women's basketball. We seem to prioritize those two sports since they are the most likely to win a National Championship. We seem to be saving on football even though it is the biggest money maker. Doesn't sound like very good business.

HoopsDawg
12-12-2019, 08:52 AM
We don't even have an offensive coordinator so that alone is going to push down our assistant staff pay.

We went cheap on S&C, but that's about it.

Tbonewannabe
12-12-2019, 09:13 AM
I think he?s probably learning when to ask. There was a press conference, maybe it was before the Egg Bowl, where Joe was talking about the need for a new indoor practice facility and such.

I think this is an issue personally. Unless you are using it for developing game plans away from eyes then Joe's use of the indoor facility made us A LOT softer this year. Mullen always said he wanted to practice in the heat because we don't play indoors. I understand players safety issues but if we have the team indoors for all of August except for a few times then that heat in September hits hard. It is the same with fans. Those people falling out in the stands are mostly people that sit in air conditioning all of the time and aren't conditioned for the heat (I am one of those people). I find when I am out in it every day for a while then I can tolerate it a lot better.

The indoor facility shouldn't be used by football but a handful of times a year. That is a waste of money unless it is causing our recruiting to suffer drastically. You play in the rain and heat. You should practice in it.

Churchill
12-12-2019, 09:40 AM
As the fog slowly lifts, more and more are going to see Dr. Keenum = Dr. Giles II.

Cowbell
12-12-2019, 11:54 AM
As the fog slowly lifts, more and more are going to see Dr. Keenum = Dr. Giles II.

Can you explain to us younguns?

Dawgology
12-12-2019, 11:59 AM
But aren't we in the top of salaries in baseball? Also Vic is one of the highest paid in Women's basketball. We seem to prioritize those two sports since they are the most likely to win a National Championship. We seem to be saving on football even though it is the biggest money maker. Doesn't sound like very good business.

As I have said several times in the past month. The football program is NOT a priority for this administration. This is evidenced by funding and the retention of coaching staff. And, as long as it continues making money in it's current form, no changes will be made.

dawgs
12-12-2019, 12:16 PM

This is backwards thinking that the MSU admin and fanbase at large subscribe to. You can't attract the best when you pay below market value, and we will pay for value but only after a guy proves it. Meanwhile the best "unproven" guys get paid more elsewhere and still get raises when they prove it. We wanna nickel and dime a guy until they prove it. CFB hiring just doesn't work that way and we hamstring ourselves with this mindset. When a guy has high ceiling potential, you gotta pay for that potential to see if it pans out, if you don't, someone else will and all your left with is a mediocre guy happy to make less than the going rate for an SEC assistant.

dawgs
12-12-2019, 12:24 PM

Everyone else will also be raising their coaching salaries and crootin' budgets too though. Don't matter if we spend $10M on a staff of everyone else spends $15M. $10M sounds like a lot of money, but only in the context to most of us message board heroes that have little to no shot of making that much money in our lifetimes. It's like folks complaining about player salaries in pro sports, but not considering the hundreds of millions or billions taken in by the owners.

TheLostDawg
12-12-2019, 02:19 PM
Did we ever redo our licensing company? We also should shred the Adidas contact and make them give us a fair payment.

Well if not indoor facility then do a better job at the locker rooms and etc like LSU does. Make use of that money for recruiting process or with recruiting. Hopefully they are saving up do to something big with it. I'm not sure but I hope there is a plan. Not telling the fans about that plan is just going to make it take longer to get to the goal. Again no one will want to put money in when we have a surplus and don't know what the extra money that we do have is going to go towards. The people in charge have a serious deficit in business sense which is why we need to stop promoting within so we can get fresh ideas and a different perspective

TheLostDawg
12-12-2019, 05:22 PM

Joe Brady. Pay him and put him as OC. He'll come and Joe obviously loves him. Joe called orgeron to congratulate LSU on the hire this summer. It should have been us that made the hire. Go get him and pay him. Joe turns it around Brady gets all the glory. He doesn't and Moorhead takes the blame. Why wouldn't he come if paid and given OC title. Would only push his career forward by having OC experience at an SEC school on his resume.

Now D/c me

the59dawg
12-12-2019, 06:22 PM

So how do the rank and file on this board know what anyone deserves or not? Are their CV's available? How many yrs experience do our coaches have and is that good enough?

Really Clark?
12-12-2019, 06:54 PM
Joe Brady. Pay him and put him as OC. He'll come and Joe obviously loves him. Joe called orgeron to congratulate LSU on the hire this summer. It should have been us that made the hire. Go get him and pay him. Joe turns it around Brady gets all the glory. He doesn't and Moorhead takes the blame. Why wouldn't he come if paid and given OC title. Would only push his career forward by having OC experience at an SEC school on his resume.

Now D/c me

So you think we can win a bidding war with LSU and Texas, who also wants him for OC? You really think we can out spend those 2 programs for his services?

Churchill
12-12-2019, 07:19 PM
Can you explain to us younguns?

Dr. Giles was the pres in the 60's he wouldn't have spent an extra 50 bucks on football if it assured us of a Heisman trophy winner. We were "conditioned" to a very low bar in those days and basically to not give a crap. It was unbelievably bad.

dawgs
12-12-2019, 08:09 PM
State admin will fork over big money for a LSU's super successful co-coordinator at LSU, but that's a pipe dream cause LSU ain't letting him go unless it's for a HC gig. The issue is that we can't only decide to spend money if we can get joe brady, we gotta still be willing to spend money on our 3rd, 4th, or 5th choices who may not be as sexy of a name. Seems like we have 1-2 pipe dreams we are fine throwing money after, then we go into penny-pinching mode and tell a guy to "prove it" and assume the "prestige" of being in the sec will bring in a hungry guy with a bright future. Hate to tell y'all but that ain't how it works with elite coaching minds in CFB, even if they are relatively unknown/unproven. If you think some guy from southwest Texas st. is the next joe Brady, go throw good money at him, don't go try to lure him on the cheap and with the promise of paying him later if he's worth a damn. All that does is keep him with 1 foot out the door if he comes at all.

TheLostDawg
12-12-2019, 08:59 PM
So you think we can win a bidding war with LSU and Texas, who also wants him for OC? You really think we can out spend those 2 programs for his services?

Texas might pass and LSU won't have him as an OC as long as orgeron is there. Plus Joe supposedly has a connection with him that might help bring him in. I mean he did fast talk Cohen into the hire and an extension twice.

Coach34
12-12-2019, 09:09 PM
Texas might pass and LSU won't have him as an OC as long as orgeron is there. Plus Joe supposedly has a connection with him that might help bring him in. I mean he did fast talk Cohen into the hire and an extension twice.

LSU is raising Brady's pay to at least $1.5MM and would go to at least $2MM. We cant even get to $1.5MM to pay him. And to top it off? JoVester Mulehead is not giving up control of the offense to anybody. He is not giving playcalling up to anybody. There is a reason we don't have an OC- our HC doesn't think we need one. And we haven't demanded he hire one- and when we do? We will have to pay him $7MM dollars because he aint gonna do it

Really Clark?
12-12-2019, 09:22 PM

They ain’t that close and we ain’t paying nearly enough to win a bidding war with either team.

confucius say
12-13-2019, 08:30 AM

I think you never know if you dont ask. That?s why guys outkick their coverage every day. Offer him 2.5 million and see what happens. We have the money according to this board, we just choose not to spend it. Paying him 2.5 million and letting Joey Jones go would still have us under the sec average assistant salary pool

Really Clark?
12-13-2019, 09:59 AM
I think you never know if you dont ask. That?s why guys outkick their coverage every day. Offer him 2.5 million and see what happens. We have the money according to this board, we just choose not to spend it. Paying him 2.5 million and letting Joey Jones go would still have us under the sec average assistant salary pool

And you don?t think LSU and Texas can?t match or exceed what ever we offer?

confucius say
12-13-2019, 10:36 AM

I would make them do it.

confucius say
12-13-2019, 10:40 AM

I would make them do it. You dont end up with the smoking hot wife if you never ask her out

Really Clark?
12-13-2019, 11:01 AM
I would make them do it. You dont end up with the smoking hot wife if you never ask her out

Whatever, it’s not happening no matter what you perceive we can entice him with financially. He can collect $1.5-2 MIL at LSU next year and if the offense is still good be in line for a HC job or another high profile OC job...just like this year with Texas if he wants to go that route. It makes zero sense that he would leave LSU or spurn Texas for an OC job with us. The career trajectory path is much much easier for him at those 2 schools who can pay whatever we are willing to pay.

Cowbell
12-13-2019, 11:18 AM
Dr. Giles was the pres in the 60's he wouldn't have spent an extra 50 bucks on football if it assured us of a Heisman trophy winner. We were "conditioned" to a very low bar in those days and basically to not give a crap. It was unbelievably bad.

Thank you sir

confucius say
12-13-2019, 12:27 PM
Whatever, it’s not happening no matter what you perceive we can entice him with financially. He can collect $1.5-2 MIL at LSU next year and if the offense is still good be in line for a HC job or another high profile OC job...just like this year with Texas if he wants to go that route. It makes zero sense that he would leave LSU or spurn Texas for an OC job with us. The career trajectory path is much much easier for him at those 2 schools who can pay whatever we are willing to pay.

I dont disagree with any of that but none of that has anything to do with the larger point. Which is to think big. Whether it is Brady or whomever you think the best option is, go offer him substantially more than he is making. Make him turn you down. The money is there bc we spent it on the 2017 staff plus some.

Ive always been a Cohen defender but the penny pinching and lack of foresight is growing old.

Todd4State
12-13-2019, 07:35 PM
I dont disagree with any of that but none of that has anything to do with the larger point. Which is to think big. Whether it is Brady or whomever you think the best option is, go offer him substantially more than he is making. Make him turn you down. The money is there bc we spent it on the 2017 staff plus some.

Ive always been a Cohen defender but the penny pinching and lack of foresight is growing old.

It’s absolutely puzzling that our athletic administration doesn’t spend on football like it could. Unless they are planning on saving and spending big in 2021 and are just using Joe as a placeholder which I’m 100% sure is not the case.

TheLostDawg
12-13-2019, 07:50 PM

I agree. Take a chance. Who cares if we get turned down. These other guys must be happy with 6-6 season and egg bowl win. It's going to continue to be that way until we try bringing over big hires. Look what hiring an up and come cost us at s&c coach.
Again our fans need to stop complaining if they are going to shoot down and idea of a risking getting shut down.
The only excuse I can see is they think it looks bad but I'd rather recruits see us shot down by trying to get a big hire than recruits see holes in our staff and we make no effort to improve.
Like you said, maybe not Joe Brady but try and then go after another big name to excite the base or improve at the very least. We're in the SEC. We don't have to start at the bottom with every coaching hire. I thought us pulling Oregon wr coach was a start of something great and showing we're not a doormat anymore but a destination.

maroonmania
12-14-2019, 05:30 PM
It’s absolutely puzzling that our athletic administration doesn’t spend on football like it could. Unless they are planning on saving and spending big in 2021 and are just using Joe as a placeholder which I’m 100% sure is not the case.

Serious question, did we financially strap ourselves with the baseball facility? Don't understand the penny pinching in football right now.

Todd4State
12-14-2019, 05:43 PM
Serious question, did we financially strap ourselves with the baseball facility? Don't understand the penny pinching in football right now.

To my understanding we had a major booster come through to finish paying for the baseball stadium. I’m pretty sure it was Richard Adkerson. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

The difference between baseball and football is the AD doesn’t cut corners on baseball like it does on football. There’s more of a commitment to baseball to succeed at a high level. And we all see the results of that despite a lot of turnover for us in baseball.

The only reason I can think of as to why MSU doesn’t invest in football is because as I have said there is a disconnect between the AD and the fans as far as the expectations for the sport. I think the AD has been stuck in 2009 for awhile now where they think that winning the Egg Bowl and Liberty Bowl is good enough for most of our fans and it’s not. I think they are starting to maybe resize that. If they don’t eventually MSU will find people that will get it.