PDA

View Full Version : My Thoughts on the Egg Bowl Rivalry

Todd4State
12-11-2019, 01:36 AM
I'm posting this because I've seen a lot of Ole Miss people on Twitter try to downplay the rivalry. And that makes me glad for two reasons.

One it means that we won the Egg Bowl. Which is obvious but the best part about winning the Egg Bowl is it happened in such a fashion that it embarrassed Ole Miss to the point where they are literally doing everything that they can do to make people forget it and try to put it in their past. The second reason I'm glad that they are trying to downplay the rivalry is because I think MSU focusing on the rivalry has helped MSU elevate itself nationally. And they don't realize it because they're trying to pretend to be like LSU or think that downplaying the rivalry makes us mad.

I think one of the most brilliant marketing campaigns in MSU history was the This is OUR State campaign which I believe was started under Greg Byrne although credit to whoever came up with it. The way to become a power within your own backyard is to dominate your local competition. And then in some cases after you defeat them you assist them and try to make them part of your empire. This is the same strategy that Rome used way back in the day to become a great empire. We have essentially created or are creating a football empire. What the Romans would do is defeat a weaker empire and then make it part of the Roman empire. At Christmas the one that immediately comes to mind in Jerusalem as an example.

So what MSU did starting back in 2009 was we first started playing the in state SWAC schools. Well, except for Mississippi Valley State because of their scholarship situation being such that we wouldn't be able to count a win over them towards bowl eligibility. I remember when we first played Jackson State the first SWAC team we played some people- a few not the majority- thought it would be a close game or at least competitive mainly because they had played USM somewhat competitively before. And we all know what happened- we dominated and pretty much could have named the score. Same thing every other time we played JSU and Alcorn State. By doing that it did a couple of things. It showed people how much better MSU was than the SWAC teams for the few that held the opinion that they could compete with us. That gave MSU a favorable perception. The second thing it did is- like Rome- it essentially allowed MSU as a University to reach out and create goodwill. We helped fund both athletic departments in a big way and there were other things that MSU did on a University level to help both schools. Things like that give us a favorable perception to the SWAC schools alumni and you never know- those alums may start to pull for us over Ole Miss, buy a MSU t-shirt, and talk well of MSU to other family members. MSU is Rome. They are Jerusalem.

So once we conquered the small towns- we went bigger. We went for USM. Some of our fans didn't like that because of how USM has treated us in the past plus the "USM has nothing to lose" aspect. And the fact they price gouge our fans anytime we play them in Hattiesburg. However, playing them was IMO a good idea on at least a limited basis- every 4-6 years or so is fine. For those that don't remember we didn't play USM for 24 years after playing them every year for years. And what did we hear during that time at least once a year. "MSU is scared to play us". Wasn't really true. But that's what they said. They would always point out that they beat some good MSU teams in 1980 and 1981 with the Nasty Bunch. So finally I think because of Mark Keenum we played them again starting in 2014 and in one of the biggest underrated moments of MSU football history we clobbered them 49-0 and it honestly could have been worse had Dak not thrown an INT in the end zone and we screwed up a run a fourth and 1 from the goal line. That game and then the one next year in Hattiesburg where MSU won convincingly again- changed perception. Same this year too. You don't hear USM fans talking about how MSU is scared of them anymore do you? But the real key is winning pretty easily which has again- shaped perception and moved MSU solidly ahead of USM in the state.

That finally brings me to Ole Miss which is our biggest rival for obvious reasons. Personally I think rivalries are good things and I think if you have one you should acknowledge it because if you don't- you just look kind of stupid. Especially after you say it's not a rivalry- and then you rush the field like you did in 2012. Or the time you hired a coach after winning in 2017. Or the time you fired the same guy for losing the Egg Bowl in 2019. That being said- I think focusing on the rivalry has been a good thing for MSU. Now that doesn't mean that we can't have or should strive for other goals and that 6-6 with an Egg Bowl win is something we should be satisfied with at all. I'm not saying that. We can and should have goals that for things like 10 wins but winning the Egg Bowl always should be A goal. The reason being is because IMO we can't really say it's OUR State if we don't win it regularly. The Romans lost some battles here and there. But they usually won the war. Winning the overall war on the field in state along with winning other games to go to bowls and increase our profile is how we raise the bar for ourselves. That's why I think if we started to downplay the rivalry ourselves it would be a huge mistake. But to MSU's credit we haven't made that mistake yet. So let's recap the battles to see how we're doing in the war. I'm starting in 2009 because that's when the Our State campaign began but honestly I could go further back and we would still have an advantage going back into the Felker era.

2009- MSU win
2010- MSU win
2011- MSU win
2012- Ole Miss win
2013- MSU win
2014- Ole Miss win with players that they bought. When people are losing the war they call in mercenaries sometimes.
2015- Ole Miss win with players that they bought.
2016- Nick Fitzgerald win
2017- Ole Miss win while intentionally hurting our QB while acting ridiculous.
2018- MSU win
2019- MSU win

So we're 7-4 during that time and at no point in that timeline is Ole Miss anything better than tied with us. Two of those wins they cheated their ass off. One was legit. One they had to hurt our QB and have everything go right to squeak out a three point win. I'd say that we're winning the war and what that has done is it has created in state pride for MSU and help make us THE University in the state of Mississippi. And that in turn has helped us acquire better players in state which has helped elevate our football program on a national level. And I see MSU keeping on doing that and overall having a very bright future.

See y'all in Nashville!

Uncivilengineer
12-11-2019, 04:48 AM
Bravo!

msbulldog
12-11-2019, 07:53 AM
TDLR

Dawgology
12-11-2019, 08:16 AM
TDLR

Too Didn't Long Read?

Ari Gold
12-11-2019, 08:24 AM
I will break it down short version
It is meaningless to them when we win, but then they turn around and Brag and boast about it 365 when they win.

It’s who they are..

LC Dawg
12-11-2019, 08:50 AM
I have a high school classmate who graduated from Alcorn and she brought her 14 year old son from Virginia to the game in Starkville. He told her that day that he wanted to go to Mississippi State and he is now a Bulldog student and my classmate is now a big State (and still Alcorn) fan.
I agree that the path we've taken the last ten years really has turned the state of Mississippi into a Mississippi State state. It's imperative that we keep it that way.

gravedigger
12-11-2019, 09:16 AM
You are seeing the death of the romantic Old South image. It was once something that was attractive to outsiders. It is now very limited. No amount of mitigating it with mascots, songs, cheers and reverends masquerading as head coaches is going to reverse that. They want the private college image with the public funding. The entire formula started to die in the 80's and has been a slow painful death since. We havent 'put them to sleep' in our taking the flagship image away by any means. We are still who we are. Their people arent bad. But the ones that wont let go of the old Ole Miss in positions of influence retard their growth to this day.

The Kiffin hire is an attempt to be relevant again on another 'bad boys of football' front. Any press is good press. And in some respects, it is. ESPN is very grateful to have Kiffin to talk about again on a P5 team. But if the results are lackluster, back to square one they go.

The rivalry is only toxic in the press it receives. It's a once a year diversion that many times lives up to its billing. Sometimes it doesnt.

Bottom line: Ole Miss fans are whistling past the graveyard.

timotheus
12-11-2019, 09:22 AM
Good Post gravedigger. I we need further proof, just follow Ben Garret on twitter. Talk about a bafoon, he's about 5'6" but on twitter one would assume that he's 6'4".

Liverpooldawg
12-11-2019, 10:50 AM
As always you have to have, and maintain, secure base before you can get bigger. That applies to pretty much anything.

Jack Lambert
12-11-2019, 10:51 AM
It is meaningless to them when we win, but then they turn around and Brag and boast about it 365 when they win.

It’s who they are..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA46VuLMQMY

TrapGame
12-11-2019, 10:59 AM
Buy/Sell: They storm the field again next year if Kiffin beats us?

Buy.

timotheus
12-11-2019, 11:08 AM
They will probably have 5 wins and need it to secure a bowl bid.

msstatelp1
12-11-2019, 11:19 AM

It?s who they are..

Yep. They claim it doesn't matter but look what us beating them from 2009 to 2011 led to.

R2Dawg
12-11-2019, 02:30 PM
Yep. They claim it doesn't matter but look what us beating them from 2009 to 2011 led to.

Yeah it doesn't matter when we are beating them. Sure does matter a lot when they win though.

msbulldog
12-12-2019, 07:51 AM
Too Didn't Long Read?

Too Damn Long to Read

Thick
12-12-2019, 08:19 AM
Good Post gravedigger. I we need further proof, just follow Ben Garret on twitter. Talk about a bafoon, he's about 5'6" but on twitter one would assume that he's 6'4".

Is he really 5’6”?

Thick
12-12-2019, 08:20 AM

Is he really 5?6??

Dawgface
12-12-2019, 08:39 AM
Too Damn Long to Read

Ha. I clicked on the thread just to see how long it would be. I wasn't surprised.