PDA

View Full Version : The biggest college football coaching hire in the state of MS

Maroonthirteen
12-09-2019, 01:48 PM
.... is still Jackie Wayne Sherrill.

That?s all. Click an ad lane sharks.

bulldawg28
12-09-2019, 02:06 PM
It's Dan Mullen

Liverpooldawg
12-09-2019, 02:08 PM
I agree with the OP. JWS was the first one who showed us a real glimpse that it was possible here in the modern era. Before him we didn't really have a lot of hope.

Really Clark?
12-09-2019, 02:14 PM
Emory Bellard was pretty up there as well.

Maroonthirteen
12-09-2019, 02:28 PM
I mean as far as the day the news broke, press conference.

Could you imagine if in today’s world of Twitter and etc, that we hired someone that has coached two P5 programs to multiple B12 championships and to numerous 11 win seasons with new year days bowls? Obviously it would not be as hyped as Kiffin because that’s their style not ours..... but it was a huge huge hire. Brilliant hire by Dr Z.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-09-2019, 03:00 PM
I mean as far as the day the news broke, press conference.

Could you imagine if in today?s world of Twitter and etc, that we hired someone that has coached two P5 programs to multiple B12 championships and to numerous 11 win seasons with new year days bowls? Obviously it would not be as hyped as Kiffin because that?s their style not ours..... but it was a huge huge hire. Brilliant hire by Dr Z.

I mean we could hire mack Brown or Les Miles and I wouldnt call it a huge huge hire

gtowndawg
12-09-2019, 03:10 PM
I'm pretty sure the King Jackie hire made the cover of Sports Illustrated?? Considering the time, that was as big as it got in the sports world.

edited: nevermind, I think it was an article, not a cover. Carry on.

Maroonthirteen
12-09-2019, 03:32 PM
Good call Gtown. I remember the article.

Lord McBuckethead
12-09-2019, 03:38 PM
It's Dan Mullen

Correct.
JWS got us to Atlanta, in a different sports landscape. So props to him, but Mullen changed our mindset.

bulldawg28
12-09-2019, 04:55 PM
Correct.
JWS got us to Atlanta, in a different sports landscape. So props to him, but Mullen changed our mindset.

Indeed. He was also coming off winning 2 national titles. That type of firepower was never heard of coaching in Mississippi. We were the talk of the country not just the state of Mississippi or southeast.

LoneStarDawg
12-09-2019, 05:25 PM
We had Jackie Sherrill and that was a big, big plus. Most wont get that reference. A shame you younger bunch missed the Sherrill/Brewer feud.

lastmajordog
12-09-2019, 06:01 PM
Dr. Zach ....Please come back.....

gtowndawg
12-09-2019, 06:06 PM
Something else I give Jackie credit for....taking calls from fans after the game. You have some big stones to take calls from crazy fans after a loss.

DogsofAnarchy
12-09-2019, 06:16 PM
It's Dan Mullen

Bullshit

War Machine Dawg
12-09-2019, 06:29 PM
We had Jackie Sherrill and that was a big, big plus. Most wont get that reference. A shame you younger bunch missed the Sherrill/Brewer feud.

"Jackie Sherrill is a habitual liar."

"Billy doesn't know the meaning of the word habitual."

R2Dawg
12-09-2019, 07:07 PM
Indeed. He was also coming off winning 2 national titles. That type of firepower was never heard of coaching in Mississippi. We were the talk of the country not just the state of Mississippi or southeast.

I'm going with JWS. He had a national title as head coach not a coordinator. CDM was a really good hire. JWS played in Atlanta and kicked Aub and Bama tail in the best 4 year stretch in Bulldog history in late 90s. Mullen had a great 2/3 year but about it but he had us winning consistently.

For those not around, I was finishing at MSU his first year. Program was in bad shape and JWS ignited MSU like no other coach has playing the mad dogs on kickoff team and beating nationally ranked Texas on opening game his first year at Scott Field on national TV. The mood on campus was set that first game that JWS was going to do something at MSU and he did. He made everyone respect MSU brand of football. To be honest I got a lot more fear and respect from Bama fans then than anything CDM ever garnered.

R2Dawg
12-09-2019, 07:09 PM

Mississippi and #3 has an ankle.

Yep you younger guys missed some greatness at that time.

HoopsDawg
12-09-2019, 08:54 PM
.... is still Jackie Wayne Sherrill.

That?s all. Click an ad lane sharks.

Amen brother.

KentuckyDawg13
12-10-2019, 10:14 AM
Agree. JWS was the man. He even met with the Famous Maroon Band as he preached how important game day environment was for the success of the football team. To think MSU had the lead in the 4th quarter of the SEC Championship, imagine the level of greatness he would have if we had won. So close...

The bull castration thing is still kind of weird though. Seemed to work when MSU played UTexas though. He hated the T-Sips.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-10-2019, 10:18 AM
nm

RougeDawg
12-10-2019, 11:37 AM
Sherri changed the mindset of the program and fan base. He ultimately laid the foundation for what Mullen continued to build upon. Anyone saying otherwise is ignorant of has an agenda.

Needless to say that foundation is being jackhammered daily now and if we dont run the demolishing crew out of town ASAP, it will be another 1-2 decade rebuild. Just think about these things and not bowl game streaks.

Ari Gold
12-10-2019, 12:04 PM
Sherri changed the mindset of the program and fan base. He ultimately laid the foundation for what Mullen continued to build upon. Anyone saying otherwise is ignorant of has an agenda.

Needless to say that foundation is being jackhammered daily now and if we dont run the demolishing crew out of town ASAP, it will be another 1-2 decade rebuild. Just think about these things and not bowl game streaks.

1-2 decades to rebuild ?? Holy shit people...
while 8-5 and 6-6 are far from where we want to be and the majority of the base wants a new Head Coach
It’s not that bad , not even ****ing close....

timotheus
12-10-2019, 12:08 PM
I see your point Ari, but what I fear is a 6-6 season next year and another bowl game to go along with a team with no pulse against the better teams in the SEC. I mean if he isn't 4-0 early next year then he should be sent packing before we play A&M in game 5.

Ari Gold
12-10-2019, 02:46 PM
I see your point Ari, but what I fear is a 6-6 season next year and another bowl game to go along with a team with no pulse against the better teams in the SEC. I mean if he isn't 4-0 early next year then he should be sent packing before we play A&M in game 5.

That’s why I said let’s let it play out...
CJM was extremely close to not being back this even with the egg bowl... I don’t care what the “insiders” say.
But this set us back decades is ridiculous...

bulldawg28
12-10-2019, 02:57 PM

Any foundation Jackie laid was destroyed by Croom and Jackie as he left.

RougeDawg
12-10-2019, 06:52 PM
1-2 decades to rebuild ?? Holy shit people...
while 8-5 and 6-6 are far from where we want to be and the majority of the base wants a new Head Coach
It?s not that bad , not even ****ing close....

You are clearly missing the point. The current HC took a 10-11 win team to 8 wins. Took a 8-9 win team to 6 current wins and has been extended. Based on our schedule next year and our circus in the Bryan building, we are staring down another 6-6 year next year and extension again.

What was built over the 10 years pre SloMo, has all but been erased in 18 months. The program is regressing at a much more rapid pace than it ascended. Not really how someone can provide an argument against it. If the trend is allowed to continue, we will be starting with a foundation-less empty lot. I look at trends and data and the most recent data points show the program bottoming out unless a change is made. Sorry that I am basing a conclusion on statistics and evidence. To which evidence I only needed one data point (2018) to see that the train was off the rails.

SloMo better start recruiting top 15 talent to consistently win 8+ games is my point, and he will never do that. He coaches his talent down, which we have seen for 2 seasons. That is not something MSU can sustain and not have the program decline.

If someone has data points and evidence that refute these things, please provide them.

lastmajordog
12-10-2019, 07:00 PM
del

Ari Gold
12-10-2019, 07:29 PM
You are clearly missing the point. The current HC took a 10-11 win team to 8 wins. Took a 8-9 win team to 6 current wins and has been extended. Based on our schedule next year and our circus in the Bryan building, we are staring down another 6-6 year next year and extension again.

What was built over the 10 years pre SloMo, has all but been erased in 18 months. The program is regressing at a much more rapid pace than it ascended. Not really how someone can provide an argument against it. If the trend is allowed to continue, we will be starting with a foundation-less empty lot. I look at trends and data and the most recent data points show the program bottoming out unless a change is made. Sorry that I am basing a conclusion on statistics and evidence. To which evidence I only needed one data point (2018) to see that the train was off the rails.

SloMo better start recruiting top 15 talent to consistently win 8+ games is my point, and he will never do that. He coaches his talent down, which we have seen for 2 seasons. That is not something MSU can sustain and not have the program decline.

If someone has data points and evidence that refute these things, please provide them.

Who’s to say if CJM goes 6-6 next year he won’t be replaced.
Going 8-5 and then 6-6 is not what everyone expected and yeah it’s not trending upward but neither was going 5-7 a few years back

But with a freshman QB who is pretty good, lots of young talented underclassmen on defenses, a solid OL , and doing a really good job in recruiting aren’t factors That back your decade or 2 to rebuild..
The majority of fans don’t think he is the guy and maybe he isn’t,
But it’s not like we were pumping out western division championships and top 10-15 recruiting classes in the past.
If CJM doesn’t win he will be replaced PERIOD or John will be replaced and then Joe .. either way
Just get behind the program and see what happens...

was21
12-10-2019, 07:30 PM
horseshit...Mullen was

Maroonthirteen
12-10-2019, 10:51 PM
horseshit...Mullen was

I’m talking day of hire. Half our fan base didn’t even know who Mullen was when they heard his name. Everyone knew Sherrill.

Ari Gold
12-11-2019, 08:30 AM
The biggest and most important hire to Miss State football was Jackie.. not even close
One of The worse but most significant hire because of what it meant at the time was Croom
One of the best hires made was Mullen for what he accomplished .. even tho Jackie got us to Atl...

Captain Falcon
12-11-2019, 08:47 AM
I have a hard time saying it’s Jackie because while he got us a level we’d never seen in our lifetimes, he also burned it right back down at the end of his tenure. Croom was a bad coach, yes, but we had three terrible years before we even hired him, and Jackie left him a roster that was atrocious. It’s hard to ignore that.

Mullen is the answer for me. The sustainability and consistent success is something few programs nationally have and something we have never had. He raised the standard to where our fans are pissed that we didn’t fire our coach who went 6-6 and won the Egg Bowl. That would have never even been a consideration a decade ago.

Churchill
12-11-2019, 11:16 AM
LOL The highest profile hire ever made in the state was by OM and it turned out to be the biggest flop. Steve Sloan. He was the hottest young coach in the country by far at that time. Lots and lots of hype and then pffft.

bulldawg28
12-11-2019, 03:18 PM
I’m talking day of hire. Half our fan base didn’t even know who Mullen was when they heard his name. Everyone knew Sherrill.

Didn't know who he was?