PDA

View Full Version : Mike Smith resigns as OM softball coach

Cooterpoot
12-08-2019, 08:54 PM
Things finally caught up to him. ?Culture? issues took him out.

Really Clark?
12-08-2019, 09:08 PM
Yep. Culture was really bad.

AlSwearengen
12-08-2019, 09:32 PM
?

Leeshouldveflanked
12-08-2019, 09:40 PM
Softball Daddy’s are the worst Helicopter parents in sports.... Mike must have made the wrong Daddy mad.

Really Clark?
12-08-2019, 09:45 PM
Softball Daddy’s are the worst Helicopter parents in sports.... Mike must have made the wrong Daddy mad.

No. Not what was happening their. He has issues and a huge prick. Culture problems and this was the second time they have put him on administrative leave

timotheus
12-08-2019, 10:32 PM
He wasn't progressive enuf........

msbulldog
12-09-2019, 07:29 AM

Heard it was a helicopter momma.

Cooterpoot
12-09-2019, 09:27 AM
I’m not getting into the issues but the culture was bad. Things kids shouldn’t have to deal with.

timotheus
12-09-2019, 09:39 AM
Sound like momma really wanted her daughter to get some playing time...........

Really Clark?
12-09-2019, 09:47 AM

Goodness people, had nothing to do with that. He was off the reservation besides being a miserable prick and bully. He was the same Prick at McNeese St. But it was beyond just being an enormous jack wagon and constantly degrading players, for no cause. Which is not right either. Heck one of the best players in the state a few years ago was an All-SEC freshman SS and quit him (and softball forever as well) after playing for him for just one season. Good coach, bad managing pitcher usage, but the sport and any sport for that matter, men or women, does not need that type of individual coaching. And this is just the surface stuff, the culture issues goes much deeper than this and illegally circumventing NCAA practice rules (Twice in the last year) is just the window dressing for the public for his administrative leave.

Cooterpoot
12-09-2019, 11:58 AM

Sounds like you have no clue what the 17 you’re talking about.

timotheus
12-09-2019, 01:36 PM
Oh man I ain't worried about being as political in my phrasiolgy. I do know one set of parents who had a player on the team. Fill us all in since u are a shark softball insider.

Really Clark?
12-09-2019, 01:42 PM
Oh man I ain't worried about being as political in my phrasiolgy. I do know one set of parents who had a player on the team. Fill us all in since u are a shark softball insider.

You can be as unpolitically as you want, he wasn’t fired over parents fussing over playing time. That’s not even remotely close to the culture problems they have with him. We know players and families as well

timotheus
12-09-2019, 01:56 PM
Oh. Didn't realize u 2 were a duo. If u pay attention, I didn't say my knowledge of the situation was the only potential issue. I get it that cooterpoot don't want to say what the deal is. If it was the football coach, it would be all front and center. That's my point.

Really Clark?
12-09-2019, 02:05 PM
Oh. Didn't realize u 2 were a duo. If u pay attention, I didn't say my knowledge of the situation was the only potential issue. I get it that cooterpoot don't want to say what the deal is. If it was the football coach, it would be all front and center. That's my point.

Didn’t mean it that way and thought the response was to me since I quoted you earlier. He does have a lot of contacts in the softball world. There are other disturbing rumors besides the known issues. I know they interviewed all players and staff prior to his “resignation”. The illegal practices, while an issue, was not what sunk him. Deeper issues. And if the rumors prove to be true, even worse than I originally thought.

ETA. You are right though, if it was a major men’s sport and the rumors are true, if would be all over the media.

timotheus
12-09-2019, 02:30 PM
No offense taken. Carry on #hailstate

timotheus
12-11-2019, 09:56 PM
The full story is out on Softball America. A very good read.

shoeless joe
12-11-2019, 10:11 PM
That article sure doesn’t make smith out to be the a-hole that some on here did. Baseball and softball parents really are the absolute worst, but I didn’t have to read that article to know that.

And the part about making up an inappropriate touching claim is sickening...

timotheus
12-11-2019, 10:25 PM
I just hope for his sake that he gets hired somewhere soon. He's a great coach.

Cooterpoot
12-11-2019, 10:25 PM
That article sure doesn’t make smith out to be the a-hole that some on here did. Baseball and softball parents really are the absolute worst, but I didn’t have to read that article to know that.

And the part about making up an inappropriate touching claim is sickening...

That article is only a partial depiction of what was happening. Smith screwed the pooch. And he knew Johnson was on his ass already. Things were going on that were ridiculous and sad. And I don’t just mean treating kids poorly.

Cooterpoot
12-11-2019, 10:33 PM

No it wouldn’t. At least not from me it wouldn’t. Somethings need to come out before I get into them. I know three kids that reported it a couple years ago and it was swept under the rug. Now, it caught up with him. It’ll probably all come out, but Smith has powerful friends in the softball world. He’ll be coaching out west. I imagine Felix leaves after spring too.

timotheus
12-11-2019, 11:16 PM
Yep, it's finna tank the program. I know some who had recently committed and they committed to play for Smith in particular. What a mess.

shoeless joe
12-12-2019, 07:40 AM
That article is only a partial depiction of what was happening. Smith screwed the pooch. And he knew Johnson was on his ass already. Things were going on that were ridiculous and sad. And I don?t just mean treating kids poorly.

I don?t doubt that.

There?s always two sides and it always comes down to who you get your information from. I?ve been in the coaching world my whole professional life...parents, in general, are worse in baseball/softball than in any other sport.