PDA

View Full Version : Lance Pogue

RC3
12-08-2019, 07:30 PM
Whatever happened to that guy? How did he end up at JA? Seems strange. Why did he retire from USP to begin with?

Homedawg
12-08-2019, 07:35 PM
He wasn't liked a ton at usp. And he followed a bunch of guys that were nice guys and won too. I can't remember how many years he had. But I'm sure he's drawing retirement and getting paid too. So not bad.

msudawg1200
12-08-2019, 08:01 PM
He retired from the public school system, so he now gets his state retirement plus JA salary. Most coaches do this at retirement , or go to another state to double dip.

RC3
12-08-2019, 08:01 PM
He wasn't liked a ton at usp. And he followed a bunch of guys that were nice guys and won too. I can't remember how many years he had. But I'm sure he's drawing retirement and getting paid too. So not bad.

Mind elaborating on why he was disliked there? He won a crap pile of games

Coach34
12-08-2019, 08:09 PM
Mind elaborating on why he was disliked there? He won a crap pile of games

He followed Rickey Woods who went what 74-1 there? They expected that to keep happening. And it didn't.

basedog
12-08-2019, 08:17 PM
My brother n law says he will be HC next year at JA. I forget Coach name who is there now but I'm pretty sure he is retiring.

Jack Lambert
12-08-2019, 08:40 PM
He retired from the public school system, so he now gets his state retirement plus JA salary. Most coaches do this at retirement , or go to another state to double dip.

Yep He is double dipping. Don't blame him.

DogsofAnarchy
12-08-2019, 08:41 PM

I have 102 days left in Mississippi then retirement and I will be coaching in Alabama next year.

BeastMan
12-08-2019, 09:02 PM

I never heard he was unpopular but I do know he threw his name in the hat for every major opening in the metro. He was trying to get out of there for years. He set out to win championships, did it, and no offense to the lovely folks of batesville but if you had the option of living in Madison, G’stadt, Brandon, or Flowood, it’s an absolute no brainer

BeastMan
12-08-2019, 09:03 PM
My brother n law says he will be HC next year at JA. I forget Coach name who is there now but I'm pretty sure he is retiring.

Weems I think

Homedawg
12-08-2019, 09:16 PM
I never heard he was unpopular but I do know he threw his name in the hat for every major opening in the metro. He was trying to get out of there for years. He set out to win championships, did it, and no offense to the lovely folks of batesville but if you had the option of living in Madison, G’stadt, Brandon, or Flowood, it’s an absolute no brainer

He wasn't popular at sp. some because he wasn't RW. And he threw his name around every job. Odd he never got any.

War Machine Dawg
12-08-2019, 11:15 PM
He followed Rickey Woods who went what 74-1 there? They expected that to keep happening. And it didn't.

No, he was Ed Stanley 2.0. Took us back to the Dark Ages offensively, never pulled the starters to run up the score unnecessarily, underachieved based on his talent available, usually had a key player injured because he left in the starters, and was a general arrogant asshole who thought he invented football. He burned a lot of bridges by alienating Willis Wright, too.

But yeah, it was really because he wasn't Rickey Woods.****

BeastMan
12-09-2019, 10:33 AM
He wasn't popular at sp. some because he wasn't RW. And he threw his name around every job. Odd he never got any.

Oh that’s simple. MRA, MC, NWR, and Brandon didn’t want to run his 1913 offense he ran in Batesville. I don’t know about the folks in Batesville but Lance is def respected in the coaching ranks. Acting like he’s some hated guy isn’t accurate to what I’ve heard from local coaches or media. And I bet he runs a more modern offense at JA. He won’t have near the athletes but he can teach those guys a system. Putting it as nicely as I can, I don’t think you can run too complicated an offense at SP.

And let’s not act like Rickey Woods was some offensive guru. He ran option at SP and his most innovative play was the QB spinner where the QB did a complete 360 before taking off. The dumbest misdirection play ever but it helps when you have USP talent. Starkville HS went from dynamic passing to lining up Willie Gay in the shotgun in the playoffs and running it every down.