PDA

View Full Version : Miss. State Women's Basketball vs West Virginia

jdelta02
12-08-2019, 01:12 PM
Miss. State vs West Virginia (1:00 pm cst, Starkville MS...Humphrey Coliseum)

Former Miss. State signee, Esmery Martinez plays for West Virginia

BorneDawg
12-08-2019, 01:15 PM
Is it televised?

dawgday166
12-08-2019, 01:15 PM
Ahhh ... women's hoops. Where it's all about effort and toughness. Love it!!

magrooder
12-08-2019, 02:38 PM
Is it televised?

SEC Network

Bothrops
12-08-2019, 02:45 PM
We do not look good at all.

parabrave
12-08-2019, 02:45 PM
one word SLOPPY.

dawgday166
12-08-2019, 03:13 PM
I love to watch when our gals tighten down the screws on the other team. Seems like that may not be as easy to do as it has been last few years. Missing Big T in the paint.

Irondawg
12-08-2019, 03:18 PM
We’ve got some issues to correct but hopefully we can get it going here and come away with a W

dawgday166
12-08-2019, 03:21 PM
Just keep getting better and peak in late Feb/March. Probably not a Final 4 team this year tho.

maroonmania
12-08-2019, 03:50 PM
Gosh, our women's team may be worse than the men at free throw shooting.

Bothrops
12-08-2019, 04:03 PM
We are not a sweet 16 team right now.

dawgday166
12-08-2019, 04:05 PM
Some poor decisions in crunch time today. Good lesson. Vic will put in the work to try and fix it.

Bothrops
12-08-2019, 04:07 PM
I'll never understand why you go for 2 when you need 3.

ZedFedder
12-08-2019, 04:11 PM
I'll never understand why you go for 2 when you need 3.

Still had plenty of time at that point.

Ari Gold
12-08-2019, 04:19 PM
Well I didn’t view the La Tech men’s thread... but I would guess it was 99% negative..
But I guess Vic and the ladies get a pass...

Bothrops
12-08-2019, 04:24 PM
Still had plenty of time at that point.

Not really with the way were outrebounding us and we only had one shot.

jdelta02
12-08-2019, 04:24 PM
Mingo-Young not used much in this game. Matharu didn't play much either. Without the freshmen and more rebounding help, this team, presently appears...isn't one of the top teams.

Mingo-Young being on the floor is much needed, especially down the stretch of games....my opinion.

jdelta02
12-08-2019, 04:29 PM
Jessika Carter...playing more at the 4 spot can help rebounding as well. This, helping utilize the other two post players more. Getting more out of Yemiyah and Promise (working her way back from surgery) can help turn the tables.

Sidney Cooks is available to help at the 4 for next season. Carter can help patch up for now, beyond.

dawgday166
12-08-2019, 04:37 PM
Well I didn’t view the La Tech men’s thread... but I would guess it was 99% negative..

Are you sure these same posters were negative over there or even posted? Cause I didn't and wasn't terribly upset at La Tech loss ... although they don't have a great NET so that hurts some. It's still early. W. Va not great in women's NET either but better.

Both coaches have to work to get their teams better so March will be pretty decent.

jdelta02
12-08-2019, 05:07 PM
Carter more to the 4 spot, moving another post player over to the 5. More of this lineup will definitely help rebounding and post defense.

Jessika Carter is a tall 4, similar to Sidney Cooks. Not saying she has Cooks' 3 point shooting and guard type skills. Similar in other areas, including size.

maroonmania
12-08-2019, 05:12 PM
Men or women, I just get amazed sometimes that we have all of these Div 1 players that can't seem to shoot any more than 50-60% on free throws. That game would have been long put away in the 4th Q had we made our free throws like we needed to. 15-30 in the game and 13-25 in the second half.

Irondawg
12-08-2019, 05:25 PM
IF you are going to move Carter to the 4, then who are you proposing at the 5? The only real option is Morris

jdelta02
12-08-2019, 05:48 PM
IF you are going to move Carter to the 4, then who are you proposing at the 5? The only real option is Morris

Both, Morris and Promise Taylor are more true 5 spot post players. Carter can alternate between the 4 to the 5 as needed.

Teams have been trying to slow down Miss. State's transition game, getting things more into a half court grind type setting, beat them on the boards, ect. When the shots and free throws aren't falling as needed for Miss. State, can aid to helping these opponent strategies succeeding, especially when not being much stronger on the boards.

Rickea Jackson had a very good rebounding game with 9 rebounds. Jordan Danberry hit the boards hard as well.

Dawg2003
12-08-2019, 05:54 PM
Promise is not ready to play. She is a liability right now.

Irondawg
12-08-2019, 07:05 PM
You’ve seen Promise try to run right? She’s a good player but she’s honestly a terrible fit for our system as she can’t get back on defense. Now if we want to slow down our style and play halfcourt that might work.

R2Dawg
12-08-2019, 07:18 PM
We have no team chemistry right now. Hate the rotation that went on today. We are just not flowing well at all. We have talent but as Vic said we are young and inexperienced. This is a reloading year although not a rebuild like most schools but we are reloading. We got to have Bibby or Hunter in the game for 3 point threat and score.

Thick
12-08-2019, 07:24 PM
We got out rebounded by double digits and missed 15 free throws. I was at the game and I just didn?t understand why Vic played Espinoza-Hunter the entire first half, but let Bibby play pretty much 98% of the second. Espinoza-Hunter is in the best shape of her life, has lost some weight and was paying great defense. Bibby cannot play perimeter defense when she?s 100% much less with a toe injury

Dawg2003
12-08-2019, 07:55 PM
The team is a bit of a mess. Vic needs to look into hiring someone that can run a better offense. We have offensively talented players that are wasted like AEH. Just dribbling it around and shooting it won't cut it.

Irondawg
12-08-2019, 09:17 PM
I’ve never been a fan of Vic’s offense as it’s essentially a high school offense. That said we don’t have a ton of players that have any natural concepts of floor spacing and movement. That’s not uncommon for both guys and girls in the south

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-08-2019, 09:19 PM
Well I didn?t view the La Tech men?s thread... but I would guess it was 99% negative..

Yes when Howland and Co make 2 National title games in a row they will get passes

Dawg2003
12-08-2019, 09:24 PM
I?ve never been a fan of Vic?s offense as it?s essentially a high school offense. That said we don?t have a ton of players that have any natural concepts of floor spacing and movement. That?s not uncommon for both guys and girls in the south

What do you think could be done differently on offense? I know what we're doing looks bad, and I know a weave is baby stuff, but I'm not savvy enough to know much else.

Irondawg
12-08-2019, 09:26 PM
I only saw pieces of the game and while I'm seen most of the others - those were mostly blowouts so I have some thoughts but want to watch this one before throwing them out there.

jdelta02
12-08-2019, 10:08 PM
Offense stalls, get the ball to Rickea Jackson as your go to player (everytime if necesary, especially going down the stretch of games) or Jordan Danberry. Continue to work on Rickea cutting down on turnovers. Good if the staff can find ways to get JaMya Mingo-Young on the court as much as possible, she's a big key to Miss. State's defensive pressure, helps in other ways as well. Aliyah Matharu. Also, Yemiyah Morris can help this team, bigger role. Miss. State has 4 players on the roster 6-4 or above (6-4, 6-5, 6-5, 6-6). Staff went heavy on signing post players, basically not utilizing them much at this point (2 are reserves, 1 sitting out).

At the end of the day....
Coaching staff and the young ladies are doing their best. Feel good that Coach Schaefer is continuing to do his best to put the young, fairly inexperienced team in what he feels is the best position to be succesfull. Lots of teaching and learning going on, players getting much needed game experience, ect.....give it time. Regardless of a couple of early season losses, the team is in very good hands with Coach Schaefer moving forward.

Team has MUCH potential. Coaching staff is top level.

klong-dog
12-09-2019, 03:06 AM
I guess in the grand scheme, these early losses are not that big of a deal like I use to think. Since we earned a #1 seed last year but yet
still had to travel to the lower seed.

somebodyshotmypaw
12-09-2019, 09:56 AM
I can tell you this team's problems in a nutshell. It is youth. We have too many freshmen and sophomores. So we are young and inexperienced. That also means that there is a leadership void. We only have one senior. These girls are struggling to play at the level that we are used to. The talent is there. They just need some time to develop and mature.

Most minutes played this season:
sophomore
freshman
senior
junior
sophomore
junior
freshman
sophomore
freshman

We have some talent. But they are going to look like national champs one minute, and a bunch of losers the next minute. It's part of the growing process