PDA

View Full Version : Norvell to Florida State... per reports.

RougeDawg
12-07-2019, 06:22 PM
Looks like we will be getting the scraps next year when after all of the big boys take who they want.

dawgday166
12-07-2019, 06:24 PM
There'll most likely be someone else that is good. Whoever is making the hire needs to do their homework tho. May wanna throw the bank at Satterfield.

I'm not a huge Norvell fan unless he would retain Shoop. He needs a really good DC and not sure he will get one.

Todd4State
12-07-2019, 06:27 PM
If Norvell really has some skeletons in his closet the Clarion-Ledger would expose them if he was our coach. I’m glad he’s not going to Ole Miss and I’m glad he is going up against Mullen.

If Napier is the scrap- I’ll take it.

Liverpooldawg
12-07-2019, 06:28 PM
Looks like we will be getting the scraps next year when after all of the big boys take who they want.

We weren't getting him anyway. FSU trumps us.

Liverpooldawg
12-07-2019, 06:29 PM
If Norvell really has some skeletons in his closet the Clarion-Ledger would expose them if he was our coach. I’m glad he’s not going to Ole Miss and I’m glad he is going up against Mullen.

If Napier is the scrap- I’ll take it.

Yes, they would. So would the Daily Journal.

basedog
12-07-2019, 06:29 PM

That is funny. There will be plenty coaches available. Coaches don't stay in one place long any longer.

Scraps, Please.

CoachT14
12-07-2019, 06:32 PM
Napier

Highly doubt he's there next offseason, but maybe we are lucky.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-07-2019, 06:43 PM
The issue isn't that we weren't getting Norvell this year, it's that Norvell won't be available next coaching cycle because FSU just got him, thus the next best G5 HC moves up to #1.

Let's say App State does really good again next year, well he's probably going to be a high target to poach. Similarly, if Napier continues doing what he's doing he'll be highly sought after. But who else? Mid level P5's like Iowa State, Baylor, and Minnesota seem to be doing a better job of locking down their coaches with big buyouts that I'm not sure Blue Bloods can afford time they buy out their existing coaches. That means the FSU's, Miamis (If Diaz sucks again next year they might pull the trigger), USC's, etc will poach from the G5 more.

Napier is, quite frankly, a uniquely good fit for us on paper. He's an offensive guy that can call his own plays and make our budget go further, he's a great recruiter, he knows the SEC, and he's recruited our territory. Will he be available next year, or would say, Texas hire him if Herman bombs? Would OU take him if Reilly leaves for the NFL? Would Auburn hire him if Gus goes 7-5?

We will NEVER be able to get the top G5 coaches. We will -with the exception of maybe Clawson- never be able to poach an existing P5 HC that we actually want because P5 teams are locking them down as soon as they have success. That leaves 1) retreads, and 2) G5 coaches the top programs past up. I guess 3) an FCS HC ala KState.

HoopsDawg
12-07-2019, 06:48 PM
Napier might not excite the fan base the way Kiffin has excited the Rebels, but Napier seems like a perfect fit for us.

Liverpooldawg
12-07-2019, 06:49 PM
Napier might not excite the fan base the way Kiffin has excited the Rebels, but Napier seems like a perfect fit for us.

The Rebs I have seen aren't that excited.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-07-2019, 06:51 PM
That is funny. There will be plenty coaches available. Coaches don't stay in one place long any longer.

Scraps, Please.

There simply aren't that many HCs that can win 3-5 games in the SEC regularly. Like really though, I keep hearing how Hud, Norvell, Napier, Clark, Satterfield, Neil Brown, Jason Candle, Dave Clawson and others are "damn good coaches" who we would regret not hiring, but history shows that most of them would flop in the SEC. Hell, of the Moorhead-Morris-Pruitt-Taggart hiring cycle Pruitt is the only one that should have made it to year 3, not succeed, make it to year 3.

It's hard as hell to get a good coach. If "Scraps" ="not a proven guy who seems like a good fit for us", then we very well may get "scraps", even if those coaches are proven but not a good fit or a good fit but not proven. Joe was neither lol

Rick Danko
12-07-2019, 06:54 PM
Some of y?all don?t seem to understand we have a sitting head coach.

HoopsDawg
12-07-2019, 06:55 PM

Seriously? This is as excited as I've seen their fanbase since the Treadwell recruiting cycle.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-07-2019, 06:58 PM

Who will be gone at the end of next season unless he suddenly learns how to coach better than he has his first 2 seasons. I hope he turn into the next Nick Saban, even if he leaves us as soon as he can.

Jack Lambert
12-07-2019, 06:58 PM
There'll most likely be someone else that is good. Whoever is making the hire needs to do their homework tho. May wanna throw the bank at Satterfield.

I'm not a huge Norvell fan unless he would retain Shoop. He needs a really good DC and not sure he will get one.

Every year there is someone. Also I was beginning to have some doubt about Shoop but he coached one hell of a football game in the Egg Bowl. Made me feel better about him. My opinion, that was the best coaching job he has done at State.

Coach34
12-07-2019, 06:59 PM
Seriously? This is as excited as I've seen their fanbase since the Treadwell recruiting cycle.

yeah, I got Rebs blowing my phone up all excited today

basedog
12-07-2019, 06:59 PM
There simply aren't that many HCs that can win 3-5 games in the SEC regularly. Like really though, I keep hearing how Hud, Norvell, Napier, Clark, Satterfield, Neil Brown, Jason Candle, Dave Clawson and others are "damn good coaches" who we would regret not hiring, but history shows that most of them would flop in the SEC. Hell, of the Moorhead-Morris-Pruitt-Taggart hiring cycle Pruitt is the only one that should have made it to year 3, not succeed, make it to year 3.

It's hard as hell to get a good coach. If "Scraps" ="not a proven guy who seems like a good fit for us", then we very well may get "scraps", even if those coaches are proven but not a good fit or a good fit but not proven. Joe was neither lol

It's always a gamble when hiring the majority of coaches in the Sec. Scrapes isn't a good so call word I would say, it's more about who fits where and with who.

DogsofAnarchy
12-07-2019, 07:02 PM

Well....Norvell couldn’t pass the Vetting process by our crack shot Administration. No worries!! Florida State will regret this!!********

dawgday166
12-07-2019, 07:06 PM
Every year there is someone. Also I was beginning to have some doubt about Shoop but he coached one hell of a football game in the Egg Bowl. Made me feel better about him. My opinion, that was the best coaching job he has done at State.

Maybe so ... but I like Bama in TTown last year myself. In right environment, Shoop can coach. He had Vandy in top 20 2 years in a row ... then just outside top 20 in 3rd year, had PSU at #2 and 14 in 2 successive years.

HoopsDawg
12-07-2019, 07:13 PM
Well....Norvell couldn’t pass the Vetting process by our crack shot Administration. No worries!! Florida State will regret this!!********

Pretty crazy. We could have had Norvell instead of Mo, but we were scared. Now he's going to FSU.

Liverpooldawg
12-07-2019, 07:16 PM

Not the ones I'm around, at least not yet. Since they actually did it I'm sure they will get in line, but to say there were less than excited would be an understatement.

Liverpooldawg
12-07-2019, 07:17 PM
Pretty crazy. We could have had Norvell instead of Mo, but we were scared. Now he's going to FSU.

I'm watching the AAC game right now. Meh. He may win but that defense.....sheesh. Cincy had less than a minute and they are knocking on the door.

runwildjerious
12-07-2019, 07:19 PM

Yes, and one that kept that job because a player pretended to piss in our EZ. We beat a shitty OM team by 1. He will be gone after next year because he cannot compete against quality teams.*

*Unless we win the Egg again after looking terribly unprepared all season bc that means more than anything doesn’t it Cohen?

Liverpooldawg
12-07-2019, 07:19 PM
I'm watching the AAC game right now. Meh. He may win but that defense.....sheesh. Cincy had less than a minute and they are knocking on the door.

They shut it. Pretty good ending.

Whoops too soon, they still may.

HoopsDawg
12-07-2019, 07:20 PM
Not the ones I'm around, at least not yet. Since they actually did it I'm sure they will get in line, but to say there were less than excited would be an understatement.

are you over 50?

dawgday166
12-07-2019, 07:21 PM
are you over 50?

He's a closet Reb ... they his buds.

Lance Harbor
Harumph

Scraps, Please.

Liverpooldawg
They did shut it. Good for Tiger High.

Liverpooldawg
12-07-2019, 07:25 PM
are you over 50?

Yes. The ones I'm around are every age though. It's freaking Lane Kiffen people. USC is my second team. I've been aware of the GOAT BoY longer than almost all of you. I just laughed when my Rebel buddy told me they were going to hire him a couple of days ago. The Goat leaves wreckage at every major program he touches.

BeardoMSU
12-07-2019, 07:29 PM

You must not Twitter...

BeardoMSU
12-07-2019, 07:29 PM
are you over 50?

Yep.

msbulldog
12-07-2019, 07:30 PM
yeah, I got Rebs blowing my phone up all excited today

Yeah coach, I bet that was all your UM buddies.

bobcat91
12-07-2019, 07:33 PM
My OM buddies think hes better than Luke, can get them to z bowl, but none are just crazy about it.

BeardoMSU
12-07-2019, 07:34 PM
Yes. The ones I'm around are every age though. It's freaking Lane Kiffen people. USC is my second team. I've been aware of the GOAT BoY longer than almost all of you. I just laughed when my Rebel buddy told me they were going to hire him a couple of days ago. The Goat leaves wreckage at every major program he touches.

That may be true...nearing a decade ago, but to say he hasn't changed at least a little bit is just fluff.

Now I'm not saying he terrifies me, but he will absolutely have something to prove at OM. He will be extremely motivated. Not saying that will absolutely translate to wins, but it definitely has the potential to.

I expect him to recruit pretty well, if nothing else because OM and the network are now motivated in a way they haven't been since pre-NCAA-Freeze.

And why the **** is USC your second team, lol?

RougeDawg
12-07-2019, 07:37 PM

Where did I say we were getting him? Once again reading comprehension escapes you.

Let me simply the post for those with reading comprehension issues.

This year there will not be much of a coaching carousel. Next year looks to be a lot more coaching changes. This is the year to make a move if we know a move will be made this year, next year or the following year. There will be fewer proven coaches available for us after this year.

Hence. Next year when many other, more coveted positions open up, we will not have the pool of potential head coaches. Next year there will be more competition, which will decrease our chances of landing the best option and most likely raising the costs of making any move. If money was an issue this year, it will cost more next year to make the same move. Does this now make sense. Thought most of this was basic common sense.

Bubb Rubb
12-07-2019, 07:39 PM

That's just a formality. He will be gone after next season. And that's why he needed to be gone now, because you don't delay the inevitable in this business.

Coach34
12-07-2019, 07:56 PM
That's just a formality. He will be gone after next season. And that's why he needed to be gone now, because you don't delay the inevitable in this business.

Bubb with the troof

Commercecomet24
12-07-2019, 07:58 PM

Yep cfb is an arms race if you're sitting still you're falling behind.

HoopsDawg
12-07-2019, 08:00 PM
Yep cfb is an arms race if you're sitting still you're falling behind.

Surely Venables will want to be a head coach at some point. I know Jeff Scott will. Of course Brent makes 2 mill a year.

BeardoMSU
12-07-2019, 08:03 PM

But we have to let the endorphin-high of beating a 4-8 team wear off before we can make such a rash decision.**

Meanwhile, the arms race in the SECW is getting tougher....but we've got memories to think about!

Coach34
12-07-2019, 08:04 PM
Surely Venables will want to be a head coach at some point.

Why? Some people just enjoy coaching their side of the ball without all the organization of the HC, press conferences, meetings with boosters, meetings with the AD, road trips to politic, etc.

BeardoMSU
12-07-2019, 08:05 PM
Why? Some people just enjoy coaching their side of the ball without all the organization of the HC, press conferences, meetings with boosters, meetings with the AD, road trips to politic, etc.

If only Joe was content with his side of the ball, lol...

Todd4State

No. We have to wait and see if he is Dabo Swinney!******************

dawgday166
If only Joe was content with his side of the ball, lol...

Which side it that? **

BeardoMSU
12-07-2019, 08:07 PM
Which side it that? **

The side rubbing it's own shit on it's face, lol.

HoopsDawg
12-07-2019, 08:08 PM

Yep, 2 mill a year without much pressure sounds pretty nice. Especially if you have kids and like the area where you live. It's just most position coaches want to be coordinators, most coordinators want to be head coaches. You know that.

Coach34
12-07-2019, 08:11 PM
Yep, 2 mill a year without much pressure sounds pretty nice. Especially if you have kids and like the area where you live. It's just most position coaches want to be coordinators, most coordinators want to be head coaches. You know that.

Most- but certainly not all. Especially in this day and age with the money- coaches are making better business decisions

lastmajordog
12-07-2019, 08:20 PM
Maybe so ... but I like Bama in TTown last year myself. In right environment, Shoop can coach. He had Vandy in top 20 2 years in a row ... then just outside top 20 in 3rd year, had PSU at #2 and 14 in 2 successive years.
A national writer wrote an article referencing the way Clemson beat Bama and held them to so few points pointed to Shoop and the ?DOGS? holding Bama to 10 points in the last 3 quarters and went into the details about how the ?DOGS? dit it.

dawgday166
12-07-2019, 08:36 PM
A national writer wrote an article referencing the way Clemson beat Bama and held them to so few points pointed to Shoop and the ?DOGS? holding Bama to 10 points in the last 3 quarters and went into the details about how the ?DOGS? dit it.

If they review those 2 early fumbles like they should've have and didn't call the phantom block in the back on Hill's TD pass from Fitz ... the final score is 10-7.

Lance Harbor
12-07-2019, 08:54 PM
Venables is coaching his kids and making 2mm a year in a town the size of West Point. He isn't going anywhere until those kids are off the Clemmy roster.

Surely Venables will want to be a head coach at some point. I know Jeff Scott will. Of course Brent makes 2 mill a year.

Homedawg
12-07-2019, 09:04 PM

Well you got this one right!

Cooterpoot
12-07-2019, 09:11 PM
Napier is nothing special. It?s a bad year to look for coaches. Tons of marginal/questionable hires. Next year will be better.

dawgday166
12-07-2019, 09:17 PM
Napier is nothing special. It?s a bad year to look for coaches. Tons of marginal/questionable hires. Next year will be better.

Not for sure but I don't see a ton of candidates with the experience that I'd like to see this year. Next year will give all of them another year to be evaluated. But I'm not sure of the entire set of options either.

Right now I'm not trusting Cohen to make the hire myself. If he tells me how brilliant Joe is one more time I'm gonna puke. I can just see him interviewing Bear Bryant and saying he's too dumb and not what MSU needs. I want a good football coach not an English major or Physicist or whatever.

Coach34
12-07-2019, 09:19 PM

I disagree

Auburn's schedule flips and they lose half their starters. This might be the 8-4 season they finally fire the GusBus
Boom better improve or he is gone
Vandy likely will be looking- not that we will be competing with them
Miami likely makes a move

There will be some other jobs open as well.

Todd4State
12-07-2019, 09:22 PM
Not for sure but I don't see a ton of candidates with the experience that I'd like to see this year. Next year will give all of them another year to be evaluated. But I'm not sure of the entire set of options either.

Right now I'm not trusting Cohen to make the hire myself. If he tells me how brilliant Joe is one more time I'm gonna puke. I can just see him interviewing Bear Bryant and saying he's too dumb and not what MSU needs. I want a good football coach not an English major or Physicist or whatever.

If Joe fails hopefully Cohen won’t be doing anything other than introducing the new coach.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-07-2019, 09:26 PM

uhhh... how will next years crop of coaches be better than this years' crop since it'll be the same coaches? For example, if Napier goes 12-0 next year you'd say he'd be a good hire for us... but next year he's still the same coach he is now, just with a better resume. That's not a "better crop of coaches", that's just "the present crop of coaches, but slightly more proven". And the new G5 HC's won't have proven themselves much in their 1 year as HC, so again, the coaches in next years' pool will basically be the same in this year' pool for all intents and purposes.

And furthermore, if a G5 coach gets more and more proven, then he's more and more likely going to be hired by a program we can't compete with. For example Norvell is going to FSU, but we could have hired him 2 years ago before he was "proven". That's what we have to do as a program. Hire guys with good resumes, but that are 1-2 years too short for the big dogs to be happy with. Else we'll just have to the OC/retred route

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-07-2019, 09:28 PM
If Joe fails hopefully Cohen won’t be doing anything other than introducing the new coach.

Well if it's true that Joe is loyal to the boosters that are fine with Joe, then it's kind of terrifying to think of who those boosters would pick as Joe's replacement

Homedawg
12-07-2019, 10:20 PM

Who do you want to hire him then? Keenum? Cigar boys? Who? Just asking.

trojandawg
12-07-2019, 10:44 PM
Let?s not get crazy had it been better us and Florida state he was still going there. Easy shot to playoff. Easier to recruit. Bigger endowment.

RougeDawg
12-08-2019, 12:55 AM
uhhh... how will next years crop of coaches be better than this years' crop since it'll be the same coaches? For example, if Napier goes 12-0 next year you'd say he'd be a good hire for us... but next year he's still the same coach he is now, just with a better resume. That's not a "better crop of coaches", that's just "the present crop of coaches, but slightly more proven". And the new G5 HC's won't have proven themselves much in their 1 year as HC, so again, the coaches in next years' pool will basically be the same in this year' pool for all intents and purposes.

And furthermore, if a G5 coach gets more and more proven, then he's more and more likely going to be hired by a program we can't compete with. For example Norvell is going to FSU, but we could have hired him 2 years ago before he was "proven". That's what we have to do as a program. Hire guys with good resumes, but that are 1-2 years too short for the big dogs to be happy with. Else we'll just have to the OC/retred route

No no no. You have it all wrong.** Many on this board have no common sense or foresight to see what we have to do. These same people are happy with leaving 5-6 wins on the field the last 2 years, just because we beat shitty OM and made a bowl game.

Any slapdick coach would have had us in NY6 bowl last season and won 8 games minimum this year.

Todd4State
12-08-2019, 01:10 AM
Who do you want to hire him then? Keenum? Cigar boys? Who? Just asking.

I'll roll the dice with the Cigar Boys who picked Napier.

I'm pretty sure Keenum knows more about football than Cohen since he actually played himself.

Todd4State
12-08-2019, 01:13 AM
No no no. You have it all wrong.** Many on this board have no common sense or foresight to see what we have to do. These same people are happy with leaving 5-6 wins on the field the last 2 years, just because we beat shitty OM and made a bowl game.

Any slapdick coach would have had us in NY6 bowl last season and won 8 games minimum this year.

The real problem is Cohen doesn't have common sense.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
12-08-2019, 02:05 AM
Scraps?

It doesn't matter if we were able to get the best available coach of the lot this year or the best available next year.....4 out of 5 years, we're competing for 3rd or 4th (at best) in the West. If we have an ok coach then we're competing for that same position in the 5th year. It doesn't matter if we've got Hud or Clark or Napier or Norvell or Satterfield or whoever else is out there. State football is what it is....and the same goes for OM football too. It doesn't matter if they have Hud or Clark or Napier or Norvell or Satterfield or KIFFIN. Nothing to get worked up over guys....1st pitch is in 69 Days!!!!!

Hail State!....Hell Yeah!

bulldawg28
12-08-2019, 05:34 AM

Bro, you disagree with every statement on here then never offer insight. I'm convinced there is another part of you somewhere on the board. Who is your alter ego Dawg77?

Dawgfan77
12-08-2019, 10:12 AM
Bro, you disagree with every statement on here then never offer insight. I'm convinced there is another part of you somewhere on the board. Who is your alter ego Dawg77?

When have I ever agreed Cooter? I have been adamant that we make a change and hire Napier.
Don?t confuse me with this average po is me cooter.

bulldawg28
12-08-2019, 01:16 PM
When have I ever agreed Cooter? I have been adamant that we make a change and hire Napier.
Don?t confuse me with this average po is me cooter.

My bad and apologies.

trojandawg
12-08-2019, 01:36 PM
If boosters support him which I think they will. He should do well there.