PDA

View Full Version : The Light Shines On MS Football

DDawg
12-07-2019, 12:20 PM
OM making a big splash with this one, and I have to honestly say I respect it. Hiked their leg and pissed on Arky no matter what the outcome is, all the hype coming from that fan base about LK just to have the rug pulled out from under them after back to back 2-10 seasons has to be brutal.HOWEVER, if they could somehow snag Drinkwitz from App State I think they would be in much better shape than a Kiffin hire. Could very well be their own Malzahn, same arky HS and was his protege for a short time at AU from what I could tell.

That being said, in regards to our program I don't think its a total loss. Do I think Moorhead will be able to outdo Kiffin recruiting, coaching wise?
It'll be tough, just a lot of name recognition and connections it seems from the outside like going to be in Kiffins favor.

I think it'll be a lot closer on the recruiting trail than in the coaching department. I think for all the shit we give Moorhead (and rightfully so) he generates a lot of respect with recruits and that can't be denied. Although could Kiffin have the culture synergy like O at LSU? I don't think its far fetched, I believe he embodies and can sell that program as well as anyone in America. The ven diagram of OM's and Lane Kiffins interests & recreational activites seem to be a perfect circle.

However when it comes to coaching, say what you will about Kiffin and his reputation I believe he is far more of an offensive guru than Moorhead is/will be. He's experienced coaching at about every level (FOR BETTER OR WORSE) NFL, head guy at a major program, OC under Saban, head guy at a minor program and my point in saying that is no doubt has he had to learn to adapt his offense to the players/talent level to some extent or another. Which is one area that is painfully obvious Moorhead refuses or is unable to do. If he can utilize his connections to bring in a good, respected DC they could have something good in the works.

The pro's of this hire for us though is that egg bowl rivalry heat from the Mullen/Freeze era is about to be back in full force. The players have carried the load in the past couple of years for us but if you think for a second that Kiffin isn't about to pour gasoline on that fire..... and thankfully so. All these people that have a dump in their pants about the level of hate that goes into this rivalry blows my mind. Lets be honest, its the trademark of the egg bowl and its a beautiful thing to see when it all comes together. Were going to get a lot more national attention because of the increased excitement leading up to this thing imo. Just having Kiffin in state is going to bring a lot more national attention as a whole I believe.

Can Jomo handle it? The jury will be out big time. He's up against a lot tougher instate competition now and has to realize that, Matt Luke was training wheels for going against OM. This hire proves the system is back in business. He's given his big boy presser, its his program and he can coach at this level and we will have to drag his yankee ass out of here. He's got to step up to the plate and next season and back it all up but I think it just got a lot tougher and he could very well get exposed next year in Oxford and be singing a very different tune. Which puts us in OM's seat a year down the road and we just have to let the chips fall where they may.

The bright lights are shining on MS football again, how do you respond Moorhead....

Liverpooldawg
12-07-2019, 12:27 PM
It's Lane Kiffen. It's not a big splash, it's desperation. Dennis Dodd made the comment on some show"three years and a show cause." That's about right.

parabrave
12-07-2019, 12:43 PM
One thing you have to remember about Kiffen and TUSK will probably agree is that he BLEW the 2014 game against OM. Bamas up at the beginning of the 3rd QTR and going in for the kill shot on the 1st drive by running the ball down OMs throat and BAMA throws 3 straight incompletions to kill that drive. Then they go pass happy for the rest of the game and lose it. That was all on LK. I though Saban was going to neuter Kiffen during the 4th QTR. He isn't the 2nd coming of Tom Landry.

Maroons
12-07-2019, 12:45 PM
It's Lane Kiffen. It's not a big splash, it's desperation. Dennis Dodd made the comment on some show"three years and a show cause." That's about right.

Get your head out of the sand. He'll bring a level of excitement and attention that we won't compete with unless we make a change too. Major upgrade for them.

Cowboydawg
12-07-2019, 01:03 PM
Get your head out of the sand. He'll bring a level of excitement and attention that we won't compete with unless we make a change too. Major upgrade for them.

What is this ?level of excitement? he will bring based on? His failure as a head coach in Oakland, failure at TN, or failure at USC? Or his success at FAU...because that is definitely apples to apples as far as coaching in the SEC West.

More likely this level of excitement is going to come from the hype they are so good at creating. They can control the narrative all they want but it doesn?t make him a good coach. If you have followed his coaching career at all, you know that he typically leaves programs in worse shape than he found them.

Dawgtini
12-07-2019, 01:20 PM
Failure at Tenn? He won more than he lost and was a blocked field goal by Mt Cody from beating Bama at Bama. He is not terrible. I expect the Sharks to be bowling at a minimum next year with Joey F at the wheel. Now that doesn?t mean I think we need to be woah-is-me. We have enough W?s on our schedule for a competent coach to have us at 6-7 wins minimum headed into the BFTGE. Will our coach be competent next year? That?s the real question.

Cowbell
12-07-2019, 01:25 PM
Failure at Tenn? He won more than he lost and was a blocked field goal by Mt Cody from beating Bama at Bama. He is not terrible. I expect the Sharks to be bowling at a minimum next year with Joey F at the wheel. Now that doesn?t mean I think we need to be woah-is-me. We have enough W?s on our schedule for a competent coach to have us at 6-7 wins minimum headed into the BFTGE. Will our coach be competent next year? That?s the real question.

It?s amazing to me that some of our same fans who are ok keeping Joe, think Kiffin is a horrible coach...

Cowboydawg
12-07-2019, 01:29 PM

Oh so 6-6 is a successful season? Got it.

timotheus
12-07-2019, 01:39 PM
cowbell and cowboydawg both spouting the truth!

Cowboydawg
12-07-2019, 01:45 PM
cowbell and cowboydawg both spouting the truth!

Who needs the OM hype machine when our fans will do it for them.

DDawg
12-07-2019, 01:52 PM
Everyone in here pretending that Lane Kiffin getting hired to any somewhat major program wouldn’t create some hype on its own you are ignorant. Is he the best coach to grace the conference no.... does he bring excitement though undoubtedly for better or worse for them. He’s just a popular coach whos been through some big name programs. I think he’s a hell of a lot better playcaller than we’ve got right now. I guarantee you won’t see plumee taking 30 seconds off the clock every play next season...

Turfdawg67
12-07-2019, 01:53 PM
Delete.

parabrave
12-07-2019, 02:09 PM
He is going to have the same Oline and QB for next year and the same Def. So scare me.

Captain Falcon
12-07-2019, 02:09 PM
He is a name that everybody knows and everybody has an opinion about. That’s all Ole Miss has ever wanted, to have people talking about them. They could’ve made safer hires that would’ve probably won more than Kiffin, but they wanted the paparazzi no matter the risk. And there is some definite risk with Joey Freshwater.

Todd4State
12-07-2019, 02:22 PM
He is a name that everybody knows and everybody has an opinion about. That’s all Ole Miss has ever wanted, to have people talking about them. They could’ve made safer hires that would’ve probably won more than Kiffin, but they wanted the paparazzi no matter the risk. And there is some definite risk with Joey Freshwater.

Nailed it.

Liverpooldawg
12-07-2019, 03:09 PM
Whose head is in the sand? I'm a big USC fan too. I've watched Kiffin a lot longer than most here have. Y'all need to quit acting like he is Vince Lombardi. He isn't. From what I can see their fans ain't exactly overjoyed and untied about it either. They shouldn't be. He leaves wreckage in his wake nearly everywhere he goes. If we had hired him I would be pretty dang disgusted. Since it's them I like it.

Liverpooldawg
12-07-2019, 03:11 PM
He is a name that everybody knows and everybody has an opinion about. That?s all Ole Miss has ever wanted, to have people talking about them. They could?ve made safer hires that would?ve probably won more than Kiffin, but they wanted the paparazzi no matter the risk. And there is some definite risk with Joey Freshwater.

There is a lot of truth to that.

Liverpooldawg
12-07-2019, 03:15 PM
Everyone in here pretending that Lane Kiffin getting hired to any somewhat major program wouldn?t create some hype on its own you are ignorant. Is he the best coach to grace the conference no.... does he bring excitement though undoubtedly for better or worse for them. He?s just a popular coach whos been through some big name programs. I think he?s a hell of a lot better playcaller than we?ve got right now. I guarantee you won?t see plumee taking 30 seconds off the clock every play next season...

Lane Kiffin popular? LOL. Hated, reviled, laughed at, smirked at, run out of town, left in the tarmac, he is all of that. Popular no. Perhaps we'll known would have been a better choice of words.

Can he win up there? Anything is always possible but I wouldn't bet on it. If he does he will leave in shot and probably the way Tuberville left look like a live fest.

Coach34
12-07-2019, 03:16 PM
Oh so 6-6 is a successful season? Got it.

When you win more games than the team did the season before- its a successful season

Liverpooldawg
12-07-2019, 03:17 PM

Exactly. They are also doing their best in negative recruiting against MSU too.

Liverpooldawg
12-07-2019, 03:17 PM

Exactly. They are also doing their best in negative recruiting against MSU too.

maroonmania
12-07-2019, 04:29 PM
One thing we know, OM may have a new chancellor and a new AD, but this hire tells you its business as usual up there. Kiffin is a controversial, media splash hire that gets them attention which it their top priority whether or not he will be a long term successful coach there or not.

Cowboydawg
12-07-2019, 05:58 PM
When you win more games than the team did the season before- its a successful season

If he goes 6-6 next season at OM I agree it will be a successful season. TN did go 5-7 the year before he arrived but also had 3 East Championships in the 5 seasons prior and many more before that. TN fans didn?t consider it a successful season.

Follow that up with turning USC into a .500 team just 3 seasons in despite having enough talent to be preseason #1. Then he starts the next season 0-2 in conference before being fired.

So he took over 2 teams with loaded rosters, used to competing for conference and national championships and left them both as .500 programs.

I guess you can call it a coincidence but combine that with his short stint in Oakland and I consider his head coaching career a failure so far. Unless beating UAB for a conference Championship is a good indicator for coaching success in the SEC West.