PDA

View Full Version : Who should start in left?

WeWillScrewItUp
04-16-2013, 01:52 PM
I'm curious as to who you think should be in left field this weekend. I think Armstrong put himself into the discussion this past weekend as to who should be there.

Coach34
04-16-2013, 01:56 PM
I've seen enough of Robson- I just dont think he is ready this year as a Freshman

Henderson just seems to play his way out of it- why not give Armstrong a shot at this point?

engie
04-16-2013, 02:02 PM
Agreed...

Will James
04-16-2013, 02:03 PM
I'm voting Armstrong

CadaverDawg
04-16-2013, 02:04 PM
I think you stick to Robson vs Righties and Henderson vs Lefties. But we need to teach Robson how to turn on a pitch....he has CT Bradford syndrome where they think EVERYTHING has to be hit the opposite way.

Ideally, I would like to see Detz tried in LF and Norris back at 3rd, but it ain't happening. I'm still convinced that Norris could help us at the plate this year down the stretch. He's too talented to leave on the bench all season in my opinion. I do like having Detz and Porter in the lineup together.

Bo Darville
04-16-2013, 02:05 PM
I agree with coach. Robson isn't ready. I want to see Henderson take it, but he has had his chances, and he just doesn't get it done. I would give Armstrong an opportunity.

Right now, nobody wants to jump up and grab the job by the balls.

Another option would be to stick someone out there who isn't a leftfielder and hope their offensive prowess outweighs their defensive shortcomings. I'm not sure who that would be though. There isn't some big stick on the bench.

WeWillScrewItUp
04-16-2013, 02:06 PM
I've seen enough of Robson- I just dont think he is ready this year as a Freshman

Henderson just seems to play his way out of it- why not give Armstrong a shot at this point?

I agree. I like Robson in left but his bat has seriously been lacking. I'm all for Armstrong getting his shot out there.

WeWillScrewItUp
04-16-2013, 02:10 PM
I agree with coach. Robson isn't ready. I want to see Henderson take it, but he has had his chances, and he just doesn't get it done. I would give Armstrong an opportunity.

Right now, nobody wants to jump up and grab the job by the balls.

Another option would be to stick someone out there who isn't a leftfielder and hope their offensive prowess outweighs their defensive shortcomings. I'm not sure who that would be though. There isn't some big stick on the bench.

I would love to see Detz have his shot in left. He may surprise the hell out of us and do a great job out there.

HereComesTheSpiral
04-16-2013, 02:10 PM
Detz if Cohen insists on Frost getting starts at third. I think Robson hasn't seen the quality in canada he is facing right now, summer ball should help him and I think he will be solid next year and in the future. Henderson, well he's a liability everywhere. Armstrong looks like the best option for everyday and Detz for when Frost gets the start so Porter's bat isn't wasted on the bench. Maybe Frost can give us some upside in left, he has to be better than Henderson.

Will James
04-16-2013, 02:11 PM
If Slauter can play, I'd stick Ammo out there.

The Croom Diaries
04-16-2013, 02:18 PM
Cohen seems hell bent on letting Frost play, so if he just has to, put him in LF vs. righties. Robson can take over potential pinch running duties as was Armstrong's duty for the rest of the year. Frost has some speed, he's 5 for 5 on stolen base attempts, he can't be any worse in LF than 3rd base can he? But of course, for some reason Cohen thinks Frost is Ozzie Smith so maybe he'll throw Detz out there - anything but Robson. And I wouldn't mind seeing Armstrong get some of Henderson's starts or even put him in CF vs. a LHP.

WeWillScrewItUp
04-16-2013, 02:18 PM
If Slauter can play, I'd stick Ammo out there.

Speaking of Slauter has anybody heard anything on him this week?

War Machine Dawg
04-16-2013, 02:22 PM
I vote for Frost in LF. We upgrade defense by taking his limp noodle arm & letting Detz start at 3B. And as athletic as Frost is, he should transfer to LF just fine. His bat has been solid enough to justify keeping him in the lineup. That's my realistic Cohen move, anyway.

If it were up to me personally, I'd start Norris at 3B, Detz in LF, and Porter at DH. Frost has been a solid player, but the potential of Norris's bat trumps Frost's for me. Give the guy a bunch of plate appearances to get comfortable and rediscover his stroke. But Cohen has apparently quit on Norris (which is bullshit), so this will never happen.

Todd4State
04-16-2013, 02:35 PM
One thing to remember about Demarcus based solely on last year- the last five weeks of the year last year he made some pretty big strides at the plate, and I'm hoping he will do that again. Robson has his moments- he had some really nice at bats against Florida, but he is still learning. The thing about Frost in left field is if we do that, he is going to have to learn how to make reads and judge fly balls- it can be pretty tricky to transition. See Chipper Jones the year he tried to play left field. If Frost can do the things he needs to defensively in left field, I think he is probably the best option.

engie
04-16-2013, 02:49 PM
My thing is -- they should ALL be able to judge a fly ball if they are actually doing jackshit in the field during BP... They get reps at their position and then go retrieve balls out there. If they are taking that seriously, they should all be getting good, true flyball reps in then. Now, this won't turn them into a Robson or Bradford with the anticipation, jumps, and smoothness, but it could make them a serviceable option out there if/when they are swinging it.

Just another of the reasons that I believe damn near anyone at the collegiate level should be able to transition to left rather easily...

The Croom Diaries
04-16-2013, 02:53 PM
If Frost can't judge a fly ball in left field he should be beaten with a stick. It's the easiest position to play. If Ryan Klesko can do it, anyone can. He's made 20 errors in a year and a half of playing the infield (in limited action), it can't get much worse.

Todd4State
04-16-2013, 03:04 PM
My thing is -- they should ALL be able to judge a fly ball if they are actually doing jackshit in the field during BP... They get reps at their position and then go retrieve balls out there. If they are taking that seriously, they should all be getting good, true flyball reps in then. Now, this won't turn them into a Robson or Bradford with the anticipation, jumps, and smoothness, but it could make them a serviceable option out there if/when they are swinging it.

Just another of the reasons that I believe damn near anyone at the collegiate level should be able to transition to left rather easily...

Should be able to and actually able to are two different things. I agree he should be able to- but if he isn't, it's going to hurt the team. And I don't know that I could really jump his ass too much about not being able to field a fly ball since I know he has had to put a LOT of work in to become a decent third baseman. As well as Detz for that matter.

And for all I know, he may be able to- I just haven't seen it. But I have a feeling that if he was a better or equal option defensively than Demarcus or whoever and knowing how much Cohen loves Sam Frost, I have to believe Cohen would trot him out there without hesitation.

War Machine Dawg
04-16-2013, 03:05 PM

+1

Todd4State
04-16-2013, 03:10 PM
If Frost can't judge a fly ball in left field he should be beaten with a stick. It's the easiest position to play. If Ryan Klesko can do it, anyone can. He's made 20 errors in a year and a half of playing the infield (in limited action), it can't get much worse.

It can always get worse. MLB players get all of spring training and all off season to work on a position- and I'm sure Klesko did that. Or maybe he didn't and that's why he wasn't successful. I know he was running around with SWAT teams in his spare time- I think they left him in the car 99% of the time though. Also- I don't think Klesko could hit a slider to save his life.

Spider-Man
04-16-2013, 03:25 PM
What about Fullerton? If not him I say stick with Henderson.

The Croom Diaries
04-16-2013, 03:40 PM
It can always get worse. MLB players get all of spring training and all off season to work on a position- and I'm sure Klesko did that. Or maybe he didn't and that's why he wasn't successful. I know he was running around with SWAT teams in his spare time- I think they left him in the car 99% of the time though. Also- I don't think Klesko could hit a slider to save his life.

Well Frost isn't going out there, Cohen loves him at 3rd for whatever reason. I'm sure Sam is a great kid and works really hard, but I would not be upset if he goes 0 for his next 20 so he can ride the pine. I just picture us in a critical situation in a Regional and he's coming to the plate - gulp. Or he throws a two-hopper to first base that's impossible to field that scores the winning run in a Super Regional. Although the latter of those two might happen regardless of slump because no matter how many errors he makes Cohen is going to keep putting him out there as a defensive replacement. Maybe he needs to break his hand. That feels terrible to say, but he's just not that good.

Will James
04-16-2013, 03:50 PM
What about Fullerton? If not him I say stick with Henderson.

Hell no, now that we have a functioning lineup I don't want to throw a cog in there. Demarcus just needs to ask Rea and Frazier how they got their heads on right and follow suit.

WeWillScrewItUp
04-16-2013, 03:50 PM
Well Frost isn't going out there, Cohen loves him at 3rd for whatever reason. I'm sure Sam is a great kid and works really hard, but I would not be upset if he goes 0 for his next 20 so he can ride the pine. I just picture us in a critical situation in a Regional and he's coming to the plate - gulp. Or he throws a two-hopper to first base that's impossible to field that scores the winning run in a Super Regional. Although the latter of those two might happen regardless of slump because no matter how many errors he makes Cohen is going to keep putting him out there as a defensive replacement. Maybe he needs to break his hand. That feels terrible to say, but he's just not that good.

I feel the same way.

Spider-Man
04-16-2013, 03:54 PM

Wow that's rough. What is Frost currently batting?

Spider-Man
04-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Hell no, now that we have a functioning lineup I don't want to throw a cog in there. Demarcus just needs to ask Rea and Frazier how they got their heads on right and follow suit.

You probably know more about the situation than I do. What is Fullerton's deal this year? Why isn't he playing?

Will James
04-16-2013, 03:58 PM
You probably know more about the situation than I do. What is Fullerton's deal this year? Why isn't he playing?

He's just not as good as what we've had out there.

Todd4State
04-16-2013, 04:08 PM

Frost is what he is - he's a walk-on baseball player that got more action than he should have because he got on a team that was in rebuilding mode. He should have been redshirted- if this was his junior year like it should be, he's a solid hitter and he would probably come back next year and have another solid year at the plate. Cohen has played him a lot- but Cohen has also sat his ass a lot too.

Todd4State
04-16-2013, 04:10 PM
He's just not as good as what we've had out there.

I prefer Frost to be honest with you- if that says anything. I'd be kind of surprised if Fullerton comes back next year.

CadaverDawg
04-16-2013, 04:12 PM
I prefer Frost to be honest with you- if that says anything. I'd be kind of surprised if Fullerton comes back next year.

Yet, Fullerton batted cleanup for us one game this year. Unreal