PDA

View Full Version : How Quickly Does Kiffin's Hiring Expedite Joe's Firing?

ShotgunDawg
12-07-2019, 09:49 AM
Look, I think Kiffin is an average coach with a big brand.

However, even the most maroon colored glasses MSU fan has to see that while Kiffin may be a mirage, he's got more charisma in his pinky than Joe has accumulated in his life time.

This isn't so much about Kiffin as the fact that MSU has fallen asleep at the wheel and will now be taking a spoon to a gun fight on the recruiting trail.

Again, I think Kiffin is 90% name and 10% coaching ability. But Joe stinks and it'll be easy for Kiffin until we get a real alpha dog at MSU.

I understand what MSU was trying to do here but we got caught flat footed.

timotheus
12-07-2019, 09:53 AM
Joe can go 6-6 and stay several more years. Cohen likes Joe.

DogsofAnarchy
12-07-2019, 09:55 AM
It goes deeper than just the coach now. But with that in mind, just let the results show you. My prediction is even if we see changes to the staff, nothing will change about this offense. Croom II. Same folks running the show.

lefty96
12-07-2019, 09:55 AM
By about one season is my guess.

DogsofAnarchy
12-07-2019, 09:57 AM
By about one season is my guess.

He will get 5 years because that’s what LT told JC to do. Started talking about physical responsibilities and infrastructure and being in the black. I’m sure.

HailStateSZN19
12-07-2019, 09:59 AM
I don’t think it does much really to expedite anything. I think if Joe isn’t at least 7-5 next year, we move on from him. 6-6 next season ain’t gonna cut it. He’s got to show improvement. If Willie does in fact come back, then our defense ought to be pretty good next year & should be good enough to get us to 7 wins if Shrader can make a jump in his passing game next season.

ShotgunDawg
12-07-2019, 10:04 AM

I see some parallels between Cohen/Joe and Jerry Jones/Jason Garrett.

Cohen and Jones respect, like, and think their coaches are smart, but they fail to see what matters. There is a jock quality needed by the coach to motivate football players and both of these coaches lack that quality.

gravedigger
12-07-2019, 10:07 AM
Look, I think Kiffin is an average coach with a big brand.

However, even the most maroon colored glasses MSU fan has to see that while Kiffin may be a mirage, he's got more charisma in his pinky than Joe has accumulated in his life time.

This isn't so much about Kiffin as the fact that MSU has fallen asleep at the wheel and will now be taking a spoon to a gun fight on the recruiting trail.

Again, I think Kiffin is 90% name and 10% coaching ability. But Joe stinks and it'll be easy for Kiffin until we get a real alpha dog at MSU.

I understand what MSU was trying to do here but we got caught flat footed.

Seriously, is someone paying you for starting these threads?

CovertDawg
12-07-2019, 10:13 AM
Zero. It all comes down to Shrader's development next year. If Shrader grasps the offense and we start putting up much improved numbers on offense then Joe is here for a while. If not then we have a new coach.

TrapGame
12-07-2019, 10:15 AM
I'm going ahead and saying if Joe gets embarrassed in the bowl game he's gone. Kiffin has made the emotion of that mighty one point win over Luke dry up pretty quick. By the time the bowl game rolls around we will have the same money boosters that decided to give Joe another year delirious from all the positive press ole miss gets from hiring Joey Freshwater. Joe wins the bowl and he's safe. He barely loses and it's up in the air. He gets trucked and he's gone.

timotheus
12-07-2019, 10:22 AM
What teams are we potentially expecting to be our bowl game opponents?

Rex54
12-07-2019, 10:22 AM
If we went and got Napier they would still have Matt Luke. Keeping the dope opened up their door to success early so they capitalized on it. They now have an incredible head start on us, a better network, better coach, better recruiter, and he will have an exponentially more exciting and “fun” brand than boring SlowJoe

Bdawg
12-07-2019, 10:27 AM
I don’t think it does much really to expedite anything. I think if Joe isn’t at least 7-5 next year, we move on from him. 6-6 next season ain’t gonna cut it. He’s got to show improvement. If Willie does in fact come back, then our defense ought to be pretty good next year & should be good enough to get us to 7 wins if Shrader can make a jump in his passing game next season.

I'm hoping for Schrader to improve too, but something has to improve in our WRs. Hope they can make a jump anywhere

timotheus
12-07-2019, 10:29 AM
I get the fact that Joe loves explosive WR's but what I don't get is the fact that he has no idea how to adapt when he has no explosive wr's.

trojandawg
12-07-2019, 10:32 AM
Everything I?ve seen so far out of Keenum snd Cohen is they like to sit on their hands and be behind the curve and save money. 6-6 is good enough for them.

I mean did you see that effort against that sec monster Arkansas?

bulldawg28
12-07-2019, 10:33 AM
Best case for Joe is 12 months from now. This hire was the nail in the coffin for Moorehead. If beating Ole miss got him another year Kiffin will ensure the pressure stays on Joe.

trojandawg
12-07-2019, 10:34 AM
For sure.

Cooterpoot
12-07-2019, 10:36 AM
I’m going to wait and see the changes before I say anything. I have no confidence in Jo, but I’m at least going to see what changes he makes.

DownwardDawg
12-07-2019, 10:37 AM
Kiffin and ole miss have absolutely ZERO to do with how much heat either Moorehead or Cohen are feeling. Cohen ain’t rolling in bed gnashing teeth over Kiffin like some on here.

AlSwearengen
12-07-2019, 10:48 AM
I don?t know how great of a coach Kiffin is but he has a ?name?. How he got that ?name? is debatable but it will give olemiss cover to do what they do in recruiting. The same way Freeze being a preacher gave them cover.

I feel like Kiffin is above average as a coach and would be 7-5 or 8-4 and be around .500 in the sec under regular circumstances. But, they are all in again now so they will go out and get the players, making it unusual circumstances again. I expect them to be a problem due to the fact that they will get the jimmys and joes.

Rick Danko
12-07-2019, 10:48 AM
Seriously, is someone paying you for starting these threads?

I swear to god they are. He literally has to be getting paid or what is the point.

We get it man, you don?t like Moorhead. Hell im not a big fan at this moment either, but damn you don?t have to start 15 different threads a day about him

HailStateSZN19
12-07-2019, 10:50 AM
I?m going to wait and see the changes before I say anything. I have no confidence in Jo, but I?m at least going to see what changes he makes.

Have you heard any credible rumors yet as far as any of the changes or names to keep an eye on or even any assistants leaving on their own?

maroonmania
12-07-2019, 10:55 AM
Joe is a good recruiter, probably his strongest quality that I've seen. Much better at it than Mullen because he actually likes it. The issue with Kiffin is that this will probably ramp the network back up to full steam so we will be again dealing with all of that crap at full strength. Not that it ever went away but I do believe its been toned down a bit since Freeze left.

timotheus
12-07-2019, 10:59 AM
The only reason it was toned down is due to the better recruits not being as interested to come for an OV. This will ramp it up.

Doggie_Style
12-07-2019, 11:03 AM
Kiffin and ole miss have absolutely ZERO to do with how much heat either Moorehead or Cohen are feeling. Cohen ain?t rolling in bed gnashing teeth over Kiffin like some on here.

Lane?s hiring will have an immediate negative impact on our recruiting.....so yea the heat IS on

OLJWales
12-07-2019, 11:16 AM
all I know is that as of now, thanks to an error prone AD, my egg bowl high vanished like a fart in the wind within 72 hours. This my 50th year of paying attention in one way or another to every single MSU Football game and egg bowl wins have always given me 12 months of sports tranquility until now.

gravedigger
12-07-2019, 11:24 AM
all I know is that as of now, thanks to an error prone AD, my egg bowl high vanished like a fart in the wind within 72 hours. This my 50th year of paying attention in one way or another to every single MSU Football game and egg bowl wins have always given me 12 months of sports tranquility until now.

Bullshit. Or do you need me to name the years and the Athletics Director and you can explain why this year is less tranquil

timotheus
12-07-2019, 11:30 AM
joe mo is less tranquil. easy answer

timotheus
12-07-2019, 11:30 AM
for some reason now the folks in charge are satisfied with 6-6. that is the issue

OLJWales
12-07-2019, 11:31 AM
Bullshit. Or do you need me to name the years and the Athletics Director and you can explain why this year is less tranquil

I was hoping and fired up about a new coach because it was more than obvious one was needed. Keeping an incompetent coach knocked the wind from my egg bowl trophy sails.

BulldogDX55
12-07-2019, 11:32 AM
This thread is such a ****ing reach.

We get it. You hate him. This changes nothing. No secret signals are being sent.

HaggardDawg
12-07-2019, 11:37 AM
If we went and got Napier they would still have Matt Luke. Keeping the dope opened up their door to success early so they capitalized on it. They now have an incredible head start on us, a better network, better coach, better recruiter, and he will have an exponentially more exciting and “fun” brand than boring SlowJoe

Luke's firing had nothing to do with us. He was fired because Elijah Moore was put back in the game on hands team. Period.

Todd4State
12-07-2019, 12:04 PM
Have you heard any credible rumors yet as far as any of the changes or names to keep an eye on or even any assistants leaving on their own?

OC/QB, ST, and S&C at a minimum are the main rumors.

This hire doesn’t really change anything as far as Joe. He starts losing the Egg Bowl he is gone. No reason to overthink it. Dan Mullen wasn’t extended after 2015 in part because he lost the Egg Bowl. That’s everyone’s exhibit A.

Either Joe will turn it around with the improvements and or he won’t and be fired. It’s really as simple as that. And he was close to being fired anyway. Enough to where he has pretty much zero room for error.

Rex54
12-07-2019, 12:26 PM
Luke's firing had nothing to do with us. He was fired because Elijah Moore was put back in the game on hands team. Period.

Completely incorrect. That isn’t a $15M Infraction. Getting a head start on their process since the rival decided to shoot themselves in the foot keeping Moorhead, yeah that’s worth 15M

MedDawg
12-07-2019, 01:20 PM
I don?t know how great of a coach Kiffin is but he has a ?name?. How he got that ?name? is debatable but it will give olemiss cover to do what they do in recruiting. The same way Freeze being a preacher gave them cover.

I feel like Kiffin is above average as a coach and would be 7-5 or 8-4 and be around .500 in the sec under regular circumstances. But, they are all in again now so they will go out and get the players, making it unusual circumstances again. I expect them to be a problem due to the fact that they will get the jimmys and joes.

Good point. Suddenly Oxford will again become the best town in the whole country and 5-stars will crave to be there. Somehow for every other coach at OM the town isn't as attractive. Shenanigans are the only way they will get national 5-star recruits. Kiffin isn't that great of a recruiter or coach.

Of course, the NCAA is watching them now. They might get away with some shenanigans in Mississippi, but first national recruit they steal from Bama or Georgia, the NCAA will start another investigation.

timotheus
12-07-2019, 01:47 PM
Completely incorrect. That isn’t a $15M Infraction. Getting a head start on their process since the rival decided to shoot themselves in the foot keeping Moorhead, yeah that’s worth 15M

It was directly related to mr Moore and his antics. This was facilitated only a few hours after the egg bowl was completed. Carter was notified the next day. that is why Norvell never got any oxford traction. Money man wanted Kiffin and it was arranged the friday after thxgiving. The rest was just typical Oxford fluff about a thorough hiring process etc.

BulldogDX55
12-07-2019, 01:50 PM

Ok, then explain why they extended him and raised the buyout just two weeks prior?

Dawgface
12-07-2019, 02:06 PM

This. That is the standard of success here.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
12-07-2019, 03:21 PM
How Quickly Does Kiffin's Hiring Expedite Joe's Firing?

I don't know how quickly it will. Maybe by a few weeks, if we lose bad in our bowl game (we can hope - not that we lose bad but that Keenum would make a change IF we did) . Maybe Nov. 2020, if he doesn't go at least 7-5 as someone posted earlier. Maybe Nov. 2021. The question shouldn't be the Expediting of Joe's Firing. The question that should be asked, is What will/can MSU's HFC do to combat what Kiffin and OM will do to get them back to the "Glory Years" under Freeze? We know Mullen laid the blue print out on how to be successful at MSU (although he didn't care about one aspect of said blue print). WHOEVER our FB coach is, he and his staff need to be able to EVALUATE and DEVELOP talent cause we're about to take a step back in recruiting in MS (got to find the KJ Wright type players). Coach/staff need to concentrate on recruiting kids within a 7 hour drive of campus and they need to pull a FEW more 4 stars than Dan and the Country Club could. I don't keep up with recruiting now but I think Joe is probably doing this....y'all can tell me different if I'm wrong. If Dan and his staff would have put a little bit more effort into recruiting we would have won 1 or 2 more games a year and in some years maybe 3.

I'm hopeful that Kiffin will copy Freeze and try and recruit nationally and recruit kids with questionable character. If he does that then we'll take a hit here and there but we'll be ok as a program.

Thick
12-07-2019, 04:16 PM

John will be gone also. He pissed off some donors.

defiantdog
12-07-2019, 04:29 PM
JoMo won't out recruit Kiffin..... Kiffin will do ANYTHING to get a recruit. He'll even find a way to move an entire family from Hawaii. He's not the best coach, but he'll get some really good players.