PDA

View Full Version : Twitter smoke says Arkansas might keep interim as Head Coach

deadheaddawg
12-07-2019, 01:15 AM
Man. Arkansas is a mess

https://twitter.com/GeorgeSchroeder/status/1203176132297863168

Todd4State
12-07-2019, 01:18 AM
Yeah. A hot mess. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it to be honest with you.

deadheaddawg
12-07-2019, 01:21 AM
I want Ken burns to do a documentary of Arkansas' fall into the abyss.

Liverpooldawg
12-07-2019, 01:22 AM
If that's true there really is something really weird going on up there. The only thing that makes sense to me would be a real power struggle among their big donors over who calls the shots, and none of them command anything close to a majority. They have a LOT of money up there, a LOT. It makes our trouble look mild.

DogsofAnarchy
12-07-2019, 01:42 AM
Arkansas is a microcosm of what could happen at MSU very easily. Especially if what John Cohen said in his interview with Paul about the former AD being back involved, is true. It’s way more than a former AD, it’s the group calling the shots that worries me. They have never been concerned with MSU winning. They only care about money and being in the black. I hope it doesn’t come to fruition but some of you may learn a powerful lesson about our folks.

Todd4State
12-07-2019, 01:54 AM
If that's true there really is something really weird going on up there. The only thing that makes sense to me would be a real power struggle among their big donors over who calls the shots, and none of them command anything close to a majority. They have a LOT of money up there, a LOT. It makes our trouble look mild.

Rumor was Jerry Jones didn't want Kiffin. Which makes sense since he has a terrible reputation in the NFL.

Todd4State
12-07-2019, 01:56 AM
Arkansas is a microcosm of what could happen at MSU very easily. Especially if what John Cohen said in his interview with Paul about the former AD being back involved, is true. It’s way more than a former AD, it’s the group calling the shots that worries me. They have never been concerned with MSU winning. They only care about money and being in the black. I hope it doesn’t come to fruition but some of you may learn a powerful lesson about our folks.

Arkansas's problem is they have a very powerful booster who has a lot of say in their football program.

Anyway- we do have problems. I'm not sure that getting rid of Cohen would fix it because the group your talking about will find a way to put another puppet there. MSU needs to cut ties with LT completely.

Liverpooldawg
12-07-2019, 02:18 AM

We don't have the kind of money they do. They have a few families that are massively wealthy, way beyond anything we have. They have people that could literally buy the whole university if they wanted too.

parabrave
12-07-2019, 02:21 AM
Yeah. A hot mess. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it to be honest with you.

Well Jerrah did get involved.

CJDAWG85
12-07-2019, 02:47 AM
This is absolutely unbelievable that they could mess this up this bad.

Todd4State
12-07-2019, 03:28 AM

I can't believe that they can't find a G5 HC or a sitting coordinator to take their SEC job.

Heck- if I were them I would roll the dice with Houston Nutt, Butch Jones, or Gene Chizik before I went this route.

Maybe they're thinking that they can go high end with coordinators and have a set-up like LSU?

DeltaChicagoDog
12-07-2019, 04:30 AM
I can't believe that they can't find a G5 HC or a sitting coordinator to take their SEC job.

Heck- if I were them I would roll the dice with Houston Nutt, Butch Jones, or Gene Chizik before I went this route.

Maybe they're thinking that they can go high end with coordinators and have a set-up like LSU?

Nah, this development doesn't seem at all like a master plan. They're doing this because their boosters won't agree. It's not about any particular candidate and wouldn't matter if Bill Belichik himself walked down to Fayetteville with a stick bindle over his shoulder. It's about control. Or so it seems if this is true.

BeastMan
12-07-2019, 08:09 AM

MSU will never have that problem because MSU doesn’t have warring booster factions of that magnitude. There is yuuuge money in that state and it’s split right down the middle. Hell, no better example then Little Rock vs Fayetteville home games. It’s crazy. You think OM has a Jackson vs Oxford power struggle... They don’t hold a candle to the war raging in Arkansas.

Irondawg
12-07-2019, 08:42 AM
They are just waiting for the NFL season to end so they can hire Jason Garrett

Dawgbite
12-07-2019, 08:43 AM
He may be their Matt Luke, a babysitter through the rough next couple of years because they know nobody is going to be able to survive.

Lance Harbor
12-07-2019, 05:07 PM
Are you referring to LT being involved?

dawgday166
12-07-2019, 05:09 PM
Seems like the Dallas Cowboys situation(s) they've been in over the years.

Todd4State
12-07-2019, 05:12 PM
Are you referring to LT being involved?

Yeah I don’t totally buy that to be honest with you. Even if I’m wrong Keenum is not going to put up with losing to Ole Miss. Cohen is just in over his head and doesn’t know what the hell he is doing on many levels. Just because Cohen asked LT about the bowl situation it’s a stretch to assume that LT had a big say at MSU.

NCDawg
12-07-2019, 05:14 PM

That's what a lot of people were saying about the Pruitt hire at Tennessee, and they hired a better coach than we did.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-07-2019, 05:20 PM
Anytime I see "alum" next to a guy's resume I know many irrationally love him. I'd bet everything I had that if Arky's interum hadn't played there he wouldn't be there next year. BUT, because he's "one of us" and the boosters remember some nice conversations with him over the years, they want him.

We do it too. If Cohen hadn't played here he's not our AD. If Hud hasn't grown up a State fan nobody on this board would give him a sniff. Hell, I still here Chad Bumphis get mentioned as a possible WR coach here even though his resume is waaaaayyy too thin for that. Looney is an alum I think has real potential though to bring back as OL coach, based on watching his interviews when he was the TE coach here, how he recruited after Dan left, and how ULL's OL has looked.

But overall I think 90% of programs would be better off if they literally banned alums from coaching for them. The lure of "he's one of us" among fans and "I remember when he did X back in '92"..." among boosters FAR outweighs the benefits of a coach that's more emotionally invested in the programs' success.

maroonmania
12-07-2019, 05:22 PM

I agree. The fact that LT is even in communication with our current AD in any way scares me to death.