PDA

View Full Version : Dave Bartoo says something interesting on Bo Bounds

ShotgunDawg
10-30-2013, 07:43 AM
Apparently, no program in college football has ever put together back to back top 10 classes or have been close to back to back top 10 recruiting classes after having an average recruiting ranking in the 20s before the back to back top 10 or close to top 10 classes.

Yet, if OM finishes close in the top 10 in recruiting this season, they will become the first school to do this, and will have done it in the first two years of a new coach, that coached high school basketball a few years ago, was involved in the Orgeron regime, and was a major player in the Michael Oher deal.

I'm am so tired of blatant cheating and disregard for the recruiting rules. At this point, you have to be more gullible to believe that OM doesn't cheat than to believe they do cheat.

I am not saying I don't wish MSU was doing the same thing, but this is ridiculous. I wonder if Bo Bounds sits in his chair all day and really believes or cares if what they are doing is in the slightest way legitimate, or if he just sits there and shakes his head because no one can prove it?

I am just sick and tired of the glorification on the radio and TV of blatant cheating and watching the NCAA do nothing. Again, no team in college football history, or at least since any type of recruiting ranking has been recorded, has a school done what OM has a chance to do this season in recruiting.

It's so obvious that it's mind boggling.

Rick Danko
10-30-2013, 07:45 AM
Well, until the NCAA steps up and does something about irregularities they may have in recruiting, do not expect things to change anytime soon.

ShotgunDawg
10-30-2013, 07:55 AM
Well, until the NCAA steps up and does something about irregularities they may have in recruiting, do not expect things to change anytime soon.

Recruiting irregularities is the perfect word. This whole thing reminds of when Brady Anderson had never hit more than 21 HR and in 96 hit 50. This is like the steroid era of college football recruiting. So obvious.

Bear@Work
10-30-2013, 08:06 AM
Getting a little philosophical this morning!

If nothing that ever happened in the history of the world happened because it had previously never happened, we would all be single cell organisms floating in the sea without a brain. And it would be a pretty boring place. Sometimes I wonder if that's not what some of us are doing anyway.

Op4isabitch
10-30-2013, 08:28 AM
There's no question that the bears are cheating in recruiting. The question is how long until the hammer falls?

Political Hack
10-30-2013, 08:45 AM
being obvious and rolling over for the NCAA are two very different things.

Martianlander
10-30-2013, 08:46 AM
Probably before signing day. Several of the reporters have the story now but won't break it because they are in tsun's back pocket.

MadDawg
10-30-2013, 08:49 AM
There's no question that the bears are cheating in recruiting. The question is how long until the hammer falls?

don't hold your breath

RState
10-30-2013, 09:05 AM
Its just so dadgum frustrating when your doing everything right and the bears cheat and nobody will do anything about it! I've told everybody that'll stand around long enough to listen but its like nobody but us even notice it! Freez is brainwashing these kids and it ain't right.

Red Sox Dawg
10-30-2013, 09:23 AM
Apparently, no program in college football has ever put together back to back top 10 classes or have been close to back to back top 10 recruiting classes after having an average recruiting ranking in the 20s before the back to back top 10 or close to top 10 classes.

Yet, if OM finishes close in the top 10 in recruiting this season, they will become the first school to do this, and will have done it in the first two years of a new coach, that coached high school basketball a few years ago, was involved in the Orgeron regime, and was a major player in the Michael Oher deal.

I'm am so tired of blatant cheating and disregard for the recruiting rules. At this point, you have to be more gullible to believe that OM doesn't cheat than to believe they do cheat.

I am not saying I don't wish MSU was doing the same thing, but this is ridiculous. I wonder if Bo Bounds sits in his chair all day and really believes or cares if what they are doing is in the slightest way legitimate, or if he just sits there and shakes his head because no one can prove it?

I am just sick and tired of the glorification on the radio and TV of blatant cheating and watching the NCAA do nothing. Again, no team in college football history, or at least since any type of recruiting ranking has been recorded, has a school done what OM has a chance to do this season in recruiting.

Not even Saban at Bama? Wow that's hard to believe.

bully99
10-30-2013, 09:34 AM
Hell, and we're the ones on probation.

smootness
10-30-2013, 09:49 AM
First, we'll see how close Ole Miss gets to the top 10. They're not really all that close right now, and they would have to end like they did last year to get there. But this year there isn't near the buzz on some top guys for them like they had then.

Second, that is a very imprecise stat he threw out...no team whose previous average ranking was in the 20s (what does this mean? over what period of time?) have been 'close' to back to back top-10 classes? How close? How are we measuring this?

According to Scout, who still publishes their rankings going back to 2002, Alabama's average ranking from 2002 through 2007 (the class before Saban) was 26. The few years prior to Saban, they were around the bottom of the top 20, which Ole Miss has jumped up to in the past. Since 2008, their average ranking is 3. That's a pretty huge jump and at least as big as the one Ole Miss is having.

I'm not saying Ole Miss isn't cheating. I'm just saying that what they're doing overall in recruiting right now isn't completely unheard of. It's just that they got the press last year for signing 4 #1 guys at their position. Yes, that is strange, but overall their 2013 class wasn't loaded like many seem to pretend.

Johnson85
10-30-2013, 09:55 AM
Its just so dadgum frustrating when your doing everything right and the bears cheat and nobody will do anything about it! I've told everybody that'll stand around long enough to listen but its like nobody but us even notice it! Freez is brainwashing these kids and it ain't right.

The unofficial rule is you can pay players but be discrete about it and keep it out of the headlines. I think Ole Miss is sort of pushing the limits by not being particularly discrete, but I don't care about what they do. If we would just play within the clearly established boundaries, we'd be ok, even with a yankee head coach that can't talk to mama.

engie
10-30-2013, 10:32 AM

This post shouldn't even be about them. The bottom line is -- why are THEY doing all this and having all the success that WE aren't? How can Freeze capitalize on 6-6, when Mullen couldn't capitalize on 9-4? I'm tired of "they are cheating" posts, when it's damn November -- and MSU hasn't got SINGLE damn official visit on the books. Are they "cheating" their asses off? Yes. Why aren't we?

The beauty of it is that our money people hate losing to them just as much as the rest of us. They see what's happening with recruiting. And they've got a full blueprint to follow in front of them for how WE can get back to a level playing field. The only way the gloves ever come off -- is for OM to be the team that shoves it up our ass -- in much the same way that their floundering athletics department only got serious about fixing their problems when it was MSU that was beating their asses and making fun of them in the media every year.

Bottom line is -- one of us overachieving makes the other better.

maroonmania
10-30-2013, 10:51 AM
Not even Saban at Bama? Wow that's hard to believe.

Mike Shula definitely had some Top 10 ranked classes before Saban arrived. I'm just saying there is no way that Bama had recruiting classes averaging in the 20s before Saban arrived.

RougeDawg
10-30-2013, 10:52 AM
This post shouldn't even be about them. The bottom line is -- why are THEY doing all this and having all the success that WE aren't? How can Freeze capitalize on 6-6, when Mullen couldn't capitalize on 9-4? I'm tired of "they are cheating" posts, when it's damn November -- and MSU hasn't got SINGLE damn official visit on the books. Are they "cheating" their asses off? Yes. Why aren't we?

The beauty of it is that our money people hate losing to them just as much as the rest of us. They see what's happening with recruiting. And they've got a full blueprint to follow in front of them for how WE can get back to a level playing field. The only way the gloves ever come off -- is for OM to be the team that shoves it up our ass -- in much the same way that their floundering athletics department only got serious about fixing their problems when it was MSU that was beating their asses and making fun of them in the media every year.

Bottom line is -- one of us overachieving makes the other better.

Are you really asking why? Why would a poor high school kid from a shack/ghetto/bad neighborhood not accept 10's of thousands of dollars and a new home for momma? Momma doesn't give 2 shits or 0 ****s if a historically racist universities booster offering or if said school goes on probation. Momma sees an easy pay day, that she deserves because she gave birth to said 4-5 star. Momma tells said 4-5 star he better go there and stay there. Hence the high attrition they've had from high star players. Momma wants to move up to the east side at the child's expense.

One of us plays the game with Wa$hington'$ and one of us plays the game with Benjamin'$! There is the difference. You clearly haven't been paying attention to recruiting classes. They were having better classes than us with 2 & 4 wins and a coach headed out the door. These high school kids only care about one thing when choosing between the two schools. Money talks and it's very clear in this debate.

engie
10-30-2013, 11:08 AM
Are you really asking why? Why would a poor high school kid from a shack/ghetto/bad neighborhood not accept 10's of thousands of dollars and a new home for momma? Momma doesn't give 2 shits or 0 ****s if a historically racist universities booster offering or if said school goes on probation. Momma sees an easy pay day, that she deserves because she gave birth to said 4-5 star. Momma tells said 4-5 star he better go there and stay there. Hence the high attrition they've had from high star players. Momma wants to move up to the east side at the child's expense.

One of us plays the game with Wa$hington'$ and one of us plays the game with Benjamin'$! There is the difference. You clearly haven't been paying attention to recruiting classes. They were having better classes than us with 2 & 4 wins and a coach headed out the door. These high school kids only care about one thing when choosing between the two schools. Money talks and it's very clear in this debate.

What the hell are you talking about? Did you even read what you quoted? Because you sure didn't comprehend any of it.

Nice sour grapes post though. Let me know when they actually HAVE more money than us... Them being smarter with it is an indictment of US -- not them.

maroonmania
10-30-2013, 11:32 AM

And I'm sure when they pull it off ESPN will be there again in Oxford to help them glorify their wonderful achievement. But hey, at least we will be able to go to bed at night with a clean conscience.

TheRef
10-30-2013, 11:33 AM
And I'm sure when they pull it off ESPN will be there again in Oxford to help them glorify their wonderful achievement.

And we're here with Ole Miss Head Coach Hugh Freeze. Coach, how are you feeling with today's signing class?
Well...first off I just want to thank God for giving us such a plentiful harvest of talented young men.

maroonmania
10-30-2013, 11:39 AM

Yep, when you are offering *cough* *cough* $600 dollars and, not a car, but a slight discount on a car its easy to see that we are pretty chincy in the recruiting game given others are paying tens of thousands for a recruit, or for a guy like Newton, hundreds of thousands.

biscuit
10-30-2013, 11:42 AM
Why do WE have no official visits? I don't get it

blacklistedbully
10-30-2013, 11:43 AM

May I use this in my ongoing battle with OM posters on Rivals?

engie
10-30-2013, 12:14 PM
Yep, when you are offering *cough* *cough* $600 dollars and, not a car, but a slight discount on a car its easy to see that we are pretty chincy in the recruiting game given others are paying tens of thousands for a recruit, or for a guy like Newton, hundreds of thousands.

How so? We got that guy. Why pay him out the ass -- when we can develop relationships and get him cheap?

We're not idiots at cheating -- we're idiots at how we handle the whispers of the cheating(compliance). We were pretty damn good at it for a decade under Jackie. I know, I know, we ended up on probation -- and that's true. But it's a different age in the SEC under Slive, where no school has been hit with MAJOR probation in ?how many? years now? Just need leadership and direction in the 'crootin along with a modern compliance dept...

engie
10-30-2013, 12:14 PM
Why do WE have no official visits? I don't get it

That's just another one of the things feeding my perception that Mullen is mailing it in at this point...

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-30-2013, 12:25 PM
That's just another one of the things feeding my perception that Mullen is mailing it in at this point...
Are we talking no visits have been scheduled for the entire year or is this still part of the probation and we can't have OV's?

Percho
10-30-2013, 12:33 PM
And I'm sure when they pull it off ESPN will be there again in Oxford to help them glorify their wonderful achievement. But hey, at least we will be able to go to bed at night with a clean conscience.

There is something to be said about this: Steve Judd: All I want is to enter my house justified. "Ride The High Country"

engie
10-30-2013, 12:39 PM
Are we talking no visits have been scheduled for the entire year or is this still part of the probation and we can't have OV's?

None have yet been scheduled for the entire year. Probation prohibited that we have visitors for the LSU and Kentucky games. That's it.

Don't get me wrong -- we are probably going to use all of our OVs. But does the fact that we have none scheduled not coincide perfectly with how we missed on O'Korn last year? We're just laxidasical procrastinators on the recruiting trail -- and it shows.

maroonmania
10-30-2013, 12:46 PM
How so? We got that guy. Why pay him out the ass -- when we can develop relationships and get him cheap?

We're not idiots at cheating -- we're idiots at how we handle the whispers of the cheating(compliance). We were pretty damn good at it for a decade under Jackie. I know, I know, we ended up on probation -- and that's true. But it's a different age in the SEC under Slive, where no school has been hit with MAJOR probation in ?how many? years now? Just need leadership and direction in the 'crootin along with a modern compliance dept...

Just saying the better recruits we ARE getting we are getting at a very low cost for what apparently other schools are forking out. Obviously making the point that we are NOT going to get kids who are out with their family just looking for a big payday in their recruitment.

HancockCountyDog
10-30-2013, 01:14 PM

I have to agree with Engie here. What are you talking about? You know when we had our best class ever? in 2002 when we signed Norwood, Byrdsong, Deljuan, Dapoo and basically every big name recruit we wanted. All after a terrible 2001 season.

Bottom line is that I don't see recruits saying how MSU is recruiting them harder than anyone else. Also, recruits aren't going to sign with a school that fails to be competitive with the big boys of the SEC. ole piss has done that for two straight years, its our turn to show recruits that we are just a few players away from taking the next step. If we can't, then falls on Dan.

HancockCountyDog
10-30-2013, 01:18 PM
None have yet been scheduled for the entire year. Probation prohibited that we have visitors for the LSU and Kentucky games. That's it.

Don't get me wrong -- we are probably going to use all of our OVs. But does the fact that we have none scheduled not coincide perfectly with how we missed on O'Korn last year? We're just laxidasical procrastinators on the recruiting trail -- and it shows.

It was my understanding that we can have close to 60 official visitors per season and some may roll over into the next year if not used.

I don't remember ever getting close to using that amount the last two seasons. I doubt the bears sign any of these out of state kids that have come in for a visit to be honest. At least I hope they don't.

smootness
10-30-2013, 01:20 PM
Mike Shula definitely had some Top 10 ranked classes before Saban arrived. I'm just saying there is no way that Bama had recruiting classes averaging in the 20s before Saban arrived.

No, he didn't, and yes, they did. Check my post.

hacker
10-30-2013, 01:41 PM

I just read this in a really country accent and it was very amusing.

M.Fillmore
10-30-2013, 02:14 PM
Recruiting irregularities is the perfect word. This whole thing reminds of when Brady Anderson had never hit more than 21 HR and in 96 hit 50. This is like the steroid era of college football recruiting. So obvious.

Great observation. Its like the Bears are on steroids and Bracky reports us for taking a vitamin C.

maroonmania
10-30-2013, 02:43 PM
No, he didn't, and yes, they did. Check my post.

You are correct on the Top 10 classes. Seem to remember Shula recruiting better than that but guess not. Last 3 classes before Saban arrived were all ranked 15-19 per Scout.

Political Hack
10-30-2013, 03:22 PM

just because the university and NCAA agreed to findings in a report doesn't mean it's true. the guy who owned the car lot is an OM fan, has no connection to state, never spoken to him, seen him, don't know his name... but when our compliance department agreed to the finding based on "a system of referrals" that landed in an OM fans lap and resulted in a decent price on a used car, we chose to fry ourselves.

bottom line was the NCAA wasn't going to spend a year investigating only to be able to prove improper contact and benefits to a crummy seven on seven coach (which isn't a violation), so the school agreed to "findings" that were never proven to be true. You can argue either way if it was the right thing to do politically.

Also, no one should be offering kids hundreds of thousands of dollars and big figure signing bonuses. One, it's usually wasteful. Two, it's a terrible life lesson for the kids involved. Kids need relationships, guidance, and to know that the people around them won't let the floor fall out from underneath them regardless of what happens on the field. It's not about big money paychecks, and if it is, you're recruiting the wrong kids. It's about making sure they have a stable support structure so they can succeed. It 'a not about making deals. It's about relationships. Ole Miss does both... State could be successful with half of that effort.

Coach34
10-30-2013, 03:26 PM
just because the university and NCAA agreed to findings in a report doesn't mean it's true. the guy who owned the car lot is an OM fan, has no connection to state, never spoken to him, seen him, don't know his name... but when our compliance department agreed to the finding based on "a system of referrals" that landed in an OM fans lap and resulted in a decent price on a used car, we chose to fry ourselves.

bottom line was the NCAA wasn't going to spend a year investigating only to be able to prove improper contact and benefits to a crummy seven on seven coach (which isn't a violation), so the school agreed to "findings" that were never proven to be true. You can argue either way if it was the right thing to do politically.

And THIS, Ladies and Gentlemen, is why you see certain members giving Bracky, Stricklin, and Keenum some grief as well as wonder if we have the right people in charge

chef dixon
10-30-2013, 03:33 PM
This is a little off topic, but Bounds seemingly gets a no name, middle age, CFB know-it-all "writer" each day of the week on the show. I have absolutely no interest in what these guys have to say. That's just me and maybe I don't get it. I guess at the very least its someone for him to talk football with.

Dawgfan77
10-30-2013, 03:34 PM
I still think we made a bad hire at AD. We got lucky promoting from within in Byrne but it didnt mean we had to do it again. Why we didnt have a national search when Byrne left is beyond me I'm on record saying I'm in the HUD camp but alot of our issues resides in the Bryan building specifically in the directors of athletics office and compliance

engie
10-30-2013, 03:37 PM

Also, no one should be offering kids hundreds of thousands of dollars and big figure signing bonuses. One, it's usually wasteful. Two, it's a terrible life lesson for the kids involved. Kids need relationships, guidance, and to know that the people around them won't let the floor fall out from underneath them regardless of what happens on the field. It's not about big money paychecks, and if it is, you're recruiting the wrong kids. It's about making sure they have a stable support structure so they can succeed. It 'a not about making deals. It's about relationships. Ole Miss does both... State could be successful with half of that effort.

Schultzy will be by momentarily to tell you that you have no idea what you are talking about**

engie
10-30-2013, 03:38 PM
This is a little off topic, but Bounds seemingly gets a no name, middle age, CFB know-it-all "writer" each day of the week on the show. I have absolutely no interest in what these guys have to say. That's just me and maybe I don't get it. I guess at the very least its someone for him to talk football with.

Bartoo is tremendous. He's got the best "system" for predicting results out there... I spend a bunch of time on his website and listening to his podcast. His method is simple, yet accurate. Guy actually correctly predicted the Egg Bowl prior to last season...

CadaverDawg
10-30-2013, 03:57 PM

Helluva post. Thank you for this

maroonmania
10-30-2013, 04:48 PM

Amazing that we would roll over for the NCAA when they have so little intestinal fortitude to actually investigate and do much of anything of substance these days to anyone. I would rather stand up to the NCAA and get burned like we did in the 70s than just fall over backwards to punish ourselves because we are somehow scared to death of them. With the crap OM and others in the SEC are pulling in recruiting yet we end up on probation it reminds me of the scene in the Airplane movie where the terrorists all waltz through security with every kind of weapon imaginable and then the old lady comes through with a finger nail file or something and is thrown against the wall and taken into custody.

Bass Chaser
10-30-2013, 07:11 PM
Bartoo is tremendous. He's got the best "system" for predicting results out there... I spend a bunch of time on his website and listening to his podcast. His method is simple, yet accurate. Guy actually correctly predicted the Egg Bowl prior to last season...

Agreed. Doesn't Bartoo get his recruiting average by using all the recruiting sites?

engie
10-30-2013, 07:23 PM
Agreed. Doesn't Bartoo get his recruiting average by using all the recruiting sites?

Yes, he was the initial "composite" rankings...

He also has an algorithm that does the last 4 classes and gets a recruiting mean average -- meaning the amount of overall talent on the team...