PDA

View Full Version : Staff Changes (OC/ST/S&C)- Names/Ideas/Opinions?

HailStateSZN19
12-06-2019, 10:04 AM
Rumor is picking up that we are actually legitimately looking into bringing in an OC this offseason as a part of the staff revamping, along with ST & S&C. Paul Jones apparently had an interview with Cohen yesterday as well and said he came away from the interview thinking staff changes were absolutely coming and mentioned OC, ST, and S&C as the ones to keep an eye on.

So, you'd have to think if he's putting that out there then it's been ok'd to do so and that makes me believe it's happening.

With that being said, it's always interesting to me to see discussions like these. Who would you realistically go after? What are some names you'd like to see us pursue?

And before you say all this "No good assistant is going to come coach for a 'lame duck' coach" but I don't necessarily think that's true. Money and the title of OC in the SEC should lure someone in and if we make the commitment money-wise then bringing in a solid OC could literally turn it around and get things going in the right direction. We've got a damn good DC, now we need an OC to go with him. So instead of just throwing that narrative out there, I want to know what some sharper football minds than mine think on who you'd target?

Also, if you want to, go ahead and just make this a total just over "Staff Changes" thread and throw out names & ideas for ST and S&C. I know some just don't care now and apathy has set in, but Joe actually making a change at OC gives me a little optimism that maybe, just maybe a miracle can happen if he turns over the play calling and realizes things have to change if he's going to turn it around.

I started a thread similar to this a week or so back & most everyone just believed (as did I really) that Joe would be too stubborn to make any changes. I'm just curious now that it's gaining steam that this is going to happen, what everyone thinks about names/ideas/opinions on the direction we could go with these hires?

TrapGame
12-06-2019, 10:08 AM
Who will Joe hire as OC? This offense is his baby. He's never going to fully trust somebody to call the "proper" play. He has to have somebody he completely trusts but I just don't think he's gonna turn it over.

ETA: Joe did have that one game with an offense coordinated by Hud and Johnson. He never went back to what works.

StateDawg44
12-06-2019, 10:09 AM
I'd be very cautiously optimistic if we hire an legit OC. And will remain that way until I see it translate into results on the field.

S&C and ST changes are a must for me to not have significant doubts or expect anything different at the end of the day when playing teams with other SEC athletes.

Coursesuper
12-06-2019, 10:13 AM
After listening to the guy how can you come to the conclusion that he will make any staff changes? There may be some turn over after the bowls due to movement, but I don't think there will be any change other than that.

StateDawg44
12-06-2019, 10:17 AM
Of those 3 positions, one of those may be replaced.

But I doubt it unfortunately.

If I had to choose only one, I'd replace S&C.

Spiderman
12-06-2019, 10:19 AM
Rumor is picking up that we are actually legitimately looking into bringing in an OC this offseason as a part of the staff revamping, along with ST & S&C. Paul Jones apparently had an interview with Cohen yesterday as well and said he came away from the interview thinking staff changes were absolutely coming and mentioned OC, ST, and S&C as the ones to keep an eye on.

So, you'd have to think if he's putting that out there then it's been ok'd to do so and that makes me believe it's happening.

With that being said, it's always interesting to me to see discussions like these. Who would you realistically go after? What are some names you'd like to see us pursue?

And before you say all this "No good assistant is going to come coach for a 'lame duck' coach" but I don't necessarily think that's true. Money and the title of OC in the SEC should lure someone in and if we make the commitment money-wise then bringing in a solid OC could literally turn it around and get things going in the right direction. We've got a damn good DC, now we need an OC to go with him. So instead of just throwing that narrative out there, I want to know what some sharper football minds than mine think on who you'd target?

Also, if you want to, go ahead and just make this a total just over "Staff Changes" thread and throw out names & ideas for ST and S&C. I know some just don't care now and apathy has set in, but Joe actually making a change at OC gives me a little optimism that maybe, just maybe a miracle can happen if he turns over the play calling and realizes things have to change if he's going to turn it around.

I started a thread similar to this a week or so back & most everyone just believed (as did I really) that Joe would be too stubborn to make any changes. I'm just curious now that it's gaining steam that this is going to happen, what everyone thinks about names/ideas/opinions on the direction we could go with these hires?

We need a Matt Balis clone for S&C

Really Clark?
12-06-2019, 10:24 AM
Go back and talk with Aaron Feld...throw good bank his way and see if he will come home

ScoobaDawg
12-06-2019, 10:40 AM
I'd be very cautiously optimistic if we hire an legit OC. And will remain that way until I see it translate into results on the field.

S&C and ST changes are a must for me to not have significant doubts or expect anything different at the end of the day when playing teams with other SEC athletes.

Exactly. If Joe becomes a CEO type coach and focuses on running the show and recruiting..and hands off the offense COMPLETELY to an OC (please give me someone like Gus...) and then replaces the SC and S&C... well we might have something.
But.. then I remember Joe thinks he's smarter than everyone. So how would that work out.. I don't think it does. Plus is he going to magically turn on the.. I'm a mean coach and be a disciplinarian2 in the off-season? Nope...

HailStateSZN19
12-06-2019, 10:40 AM
Go back and talk with Aaron Feld...throw good bank his way and see if he will come home

Agree with this. Rosey (I know he's bashed on here a good bit but usually has good info on assistant coach and staff things) mentioned a week or 2 ago that he thinks this go around we will actually pay the "going rate" for a good SEC S&C coach. Feld is making $310,000 right now. Throw $400k at him and see if that changes his mind. That'd be tied with Auburn (if my researching is correct) for 6th in the SEC as far as S&C salary.

ST I would try to go get Peter Lembo from Memphis. Has had a very good ST unit this year & had a very good ST unit at Rice as well. Makes $400k right now at Memphis but with Norvell moving on to FSU, maybe he'd consider sticking around here and coaching in the SEC.

TrapGame
12-06-2019, 10:49 AM
Exactly. If Joe becomes a CEO type coach and focuses on running the show and recruiting..and hands off the offense COMPLETELY to an OC (please give me someone like Gus...) and then replaces the SC and S&C... well we might have something.
But.. then I remember Joe thinks he's smarter than everyone. So how would that work out.. I don't think it does. Plus is he going to magically turn on the.. I'm a mean coach and be a disciplinarian2 in the off-season? Nope...

Yeah, did it seem like the guy in the post Egg presser would do a lot of changing? He's hard headed and stubborn. He wants to win his way b/c it worked...(sigh)...at Fordham.

parabrave
12-06-2019, 10:53 AM
If this is to happen it will most likely be the ST 1st, then S&C then well he isn't going to get an O/C and if Cohen makes him get one he won't listen to him.

Todd4State
12-06-2019, 10:54 AM
Mike Bobo- OC/QB coach.
Will Friend- OL coach
Lembo- ST coach
Field or Rodney Prince- S&C coach

DogsofAnarchy
12-06-2019, 10:55 AM

Not disputing Paul because he is a journalist but I highly doubt JoMo makes any changes to his staff.

Really Clark?
12-06-2019, 11:02 AM
Mike Bobo- OC/QB coach.
Will Friend- OL coach
Lembo- ST coach

Bobo is not a fit with our personnel or spread concepts. That would be a pretty big change.

Todd4State
12-06-2019, 11:08 AM
Bobo is not a fit with our personnel or spread concepts. That would be a pretty big change.

I think we need a contrast between what we do with Joe. Sort of like what LSU did by incorporating pro concepts with Joe’s RPO’s.

bulldog20
12-06-2019, 11:10 AM
Jeff Lebby - OC
Vince Marrow - Tight Ends and move Hughes to Special Teams
Robert Stiner - S&C (He was at state as assistant strength coach from 12-14). At Notre Dame right under Balis and he went to school at Belhaven so got MS roots.

HailStateSZN19
12-06-2019, 11:19 AM
I think we need a contrast between what we do with Joe. Sort of like what LSU did by incorporating pro concepts with Joe’s RPO’s.

Just a couple names off the top of my head (would need to do a little more digging) would be Rhett Lashlee at SMU, Jeff Lebby at UCF, Sean Gleeson at Okie State, & Kevin Johns at Memphis.

Would Shane Beamer come back if Riley takes the Cowboys job? Move Hughes to ST & hire Beamer as TE coach.

Really Clark?
12-06-2019, 11:22 AM

That’s not the same though. Not anywhere close to the same. Look just because both are pro style...scheme, concepts, blocking schemes, personnel groupings, etc. are very different. Heck, McVay and Payton both got their start with Gruden and the west coast offense is their base but both do it very different. McVay stays in 11 personnel a lot...Payton mixes and matches and has done a great job taking from other teams and incorporating into his offense. Including RPO’s. Bobo is not that inventive or close to the same scheme that you are talking about.

yjnkdawg
12-06-2019, 12:03 PM
Mike Bobo- OC/QB coach.
Will Friend- OL coach
Lembo- ST coach

Marcus Johnson isn't going anywhere unless he decides he wants to leave. An OL coaching change isn't even in the picture right now.

yjnkdawg
12-06-2019, 12:07 PM
I would like to have an OC, who could also be our new QB Coach, but I think it would end up like Mullen with his two Co-Offensive Coordinators (Gonzales and Hev), I think JoeMo would still be calling the plays.

Cowbell
12-06-2019, 12:11 PM
This is probably being put out there to make some of us back off Joe’s case

TrapGame
12-06-2019, 12:17 PM

Cohen better hope Joe wins the bowl game or nobody's backing off his case. If Joe and Cohen want some breathing room then a bowl game win would do it.

yjnkdawg
12-06-2019, 12:36 PM
Cohen better hope Joe wins the bowl game or nobody's backing off his case. If Joe and Cohen want some breathing room then a bowl game win would do it.

This and I think some staff changes too. Especially S&C, And ST. Hiring an OC sounds good, but I don't think it would change anything.

DogsofAnarchy
12-06-2019, 12:42 PM

My prediction is: If we win the Bowl Game you won’t see a single change made to this staff.

My Prediction is: If we lose the Bowl Game you won’t see a single change made to this staff.

HailStateSZN19
12-06-2019, 12:44 PM
My prediction is: If we win the Bowl Game you won’t see a single change made to this staff.

My Prediction is: If we lose the Bowl Game you won’t see a single change made to this staff.

My Prediction: We win or lose this bowl game, you see a couple staff changes.

NCDawg
12-06-2019, 12:48 PM
Moorhead says nobody is telling him what to do. This is his school, his team, and his program. Everybody on the team loves him. If he wants to make some changes, he will make the decision and nobody else.

Cowbell
12-06-2019, 12:51 PM
Moorhead says nobody is telling him what to do. This is his school, his team, and his program. Everybody on the team loves him. If he wants to make some changes, he will make the decision and nobody else.

And this is what I hope happens - he can sink or learn to swim by gosh

yjnkdawg
12-06-2019, 01:00 PM

Oh, I think he knows that there are deficiencies in our football program, and some of the corrections necessary are to make some personnel changes. I'm not too keen on the possibility of getting an OC though, and really don't think the OC would be making any play calls if we did.

Coursesuper
12-06-2019, 01:05 PM
Color me shocked, hearing there will be an OC hire, Jeff Lebby UCF. If true I'll be completely shocked.

TrapGame
12-06-2019, 01:19 PM
Color me shocked, hearing there will be an OC hire, Jeff Lebby UCF. If true I'll be completely shocked.

https://ucfknights.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/jeff-lebby/3753

Coached at Baylor. Passing game coordinator. Quality control experience. Recruiting experience.

Nah, this is too good to be true.

This is Joe's baby. Lebby would be a figurehead and catch the tires of the bus.

TrapGame
12-06-2019, 01:25 PM
My Prediction: We win or lose this bowl game, you see a couple staff changes.

My prediction: We lose the bowl game after 3 weeks of PR: "This is a business trip.", "Tutorgate 10 really hurt Joe's coaching abilities this year." with 15 practices to prepare and we are right back to the chaos of the 72 hours after the Egg. The emotion of the Egg win will be gone for some people.

Really Clark?
12-06-2019, 01:37 PM

I guess UCF did their homework but he will have to be carefully vetted as he was personally named along with Briles in the lawsuit for not reporting or not reporting properly the sexual assault. He is Art’s son in law

HailStateSZN19
12-06-2019, 02:05 PM

:cool:

StarkVegasSteve
12-06-2019, 02:19 PM
We just need someone who has experience working with QBs at this level. Why not give Brian Johnson a call. When our offense got clicking in 2016 he was the one calling the plays. His style might not exactly mesh with Joe, but if he' s not going to give up playcalling duties then it doesn't really matter who the OC is. At that point we'd just need to get a guy who works with QBs well and anyone under the Mullen tree would be high up on that list.

jwells
12-06-2019, 02:37 PM

We could bring in a middle school OC and I’d be excited at the possibility of Joe taking less responsibility with the offense. He needs to guide but let someone else run the offensive show.

KentuckyDawg13
12-06-2019, 02:54 PM
Interesting article, mentions Feld and even Head Coaches Mullen and Diaz.

https://www.si.com/college/2019/04/16/strength-coaches-oregon-florida-maryland-aaron-feld

Todd4State
12-06-2019, 03:07 PM

Yes but if they don’t follow through it makes him look worse.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-06-2019, 03:59 PM
Who will Joe hire as OC? This offense is his baby. He's never going to fully trust somebody to call the "proper" play. He has to have somebody he completely trusts but I just don't think he's gonna turn it over.

ETA: Joe did have that one game with an offense coordinated by Hud and Johnson. He never went back to what works.

Joe Brady hahaha

Spiderman
12-06-2019, 05:49 PM
I'd bring back Brett Elloitt.

Understands what our offense can recruit to, is a loyal good guy, currently has #1 offense in America in his division.

He impressed me a ton after Mullen left.

Jarius
12-06-2019, 06:25 PM
I would like to see us go get Peeler from Ole Miss. He is an excellent recruiter.

somebodyshotmypaw
12-07-2019, 10:03 AM

It is rare that any staff on any team remains the same from year to year. I think there will be changes.