PDA

View Full Version : Cohen Q and A

Pinto
12-05-2019, 11:01 PM
He?s 100% in on Moorehead.

Over his head on contract negotiations.

Giving Moorehead a 4th year. Why, dear God why?

No beer sells at football next year.

No plan to improve concessions.

Has no clue on bowl games.

Listens and leans on LT.

https://sdnmsu.wordpress.com/2019/12/05/sdn-exclusive-qa-mississippi-state-athletic-director-john-cohen-talks-football-fan-experience-and-facilities/

gtowndawg
12-05-2019, 11:05 PM

Listens and leans on LT.

https://sdnmsu.wordpress.com/2019/12/05/sdn-exclusive-qa-mississippi-state-athletic-director-john-cohen-talks-football-fan-experience-and-facilities/

Good gracious, how can we have this many incompetent people in charge of things at the same time?

Cooterpoot
12-05-2019, 11:08 PM
Ron Polk tried to tell everyone. Cohen can’t handle his job. He’s alienated the fans and divided the boosters. He’s the second coming of Templeton.

defiantdog
12-05-2019, 11:10 PM
The interview was pure coach speak..... that's what happens when you hire a coach to be an AD instead of someone who know how to run a business. It seems he checks on Mark Keenum for everything..... almost like he's scared to take ownership in his responses. Kind of weak for someone of his position.

Political Hack
12-05-2019, 11:12 PM
Sort of feels like he's telling the entire fan base to go kick rocks, doesn't it?

KOdawg1
12-05-2019, 11:12 PM
Never in my life have I felt this apathetic after an Egg Bowl victory. Normally beating that bunch gives me satisfaction for the next several months, but it's been one week since but I don't even care.

BulldogBear
12-05-2019, 11:15 PM
Both Slo-Jo and Co-blo are in over their heads if this is true

Cowbell
12-05-2019, 11:16 PM
Never in my life have I felt this apathetic after an Egg Bowl victory. Normally beating that bunch gives me satisfaction for the next several months, but it's been one week since but I don't even care.

Make that 2 of us

WinningIsRelentless
12-05-2019, 11:19 PM

Listens and leans on LT.

Why not extend Moorehead on the PERS contract but not the bulldog club contract?

He said they were making changes to concessions.

How is he suppose to know what bowl for sure before selection? It depends on the number we get in ny6.

KB21
12-05-2019, 11:20 PM
I’d like to say Cohen is hitching his wagon to Joe Moorhead at this point, but with this administration and the power faction of the cigar boys, 6-6 and wins over Ole Miss will get Moorhead a contract into perpetuity.

Maroonthirteen
12-05-2019, 11:26 PM
He has to be 100 on Moorhead now or at least say it.

Yeah, I don?t get the auto extend to 4 years every year. I understand coaches using it in recruiting. However nobody is that dumb now. Everyone knows who is and isn?t on the hot seat.

I couldn?t care less about buying a $8 beer but I guess it?s missing the revenue folks are concerned about?

He most definitely said changes are coming regarding concessions. Also Somebody posted here that State is hiring someone totally new for concessions next year.

He said our stadium is old. Yep. The west side needs to be bulldozed and start over. But he said there are talks to add Luxury seating to the south end without increasing capacity in the years to come. Oooookay.

dantheman4248
12-05-2019, 11:38 PM
It was on indeed they were looking for head of operations about a week after the KSU game.

Lack of beer sales is dumb because of revenue. Whether you care about it for yourself or not it's dumb to not do it because it will generate so much easy revenue. Also I'd expect it to be $4 or $5 with our fan focused pricing. Is there even anything you can buy that costs $8 on the menu anymore?

They'd be smart to get a deal with Lazy Mag and Abita in there on tap. People would pay for those extra "local" beers.

DogsofAnarchy
12-05-2019, 11:38 PM

Listens and leans on LT.

I got attacked when I said Templeton was back.

HoopsDawg
12-05-2019, 11:39 PM
Agent: I want Joe to have an 7 million dollar buyout

Competent AD: 2 million or go Kick rocks.

Cohen: let's make it 9 milly and extend a year.

HoopsDawg
12-05-2019, 11:40 PM
I got attacked when I said Templeton was back.

Templeton didn't have this budget to work with. Cohen isn't on the same planet as LT.

Lord McBuckethead
12-05-2019, 11:41 PM
This just in, beer is good.
Concessions are alright, but damn they take a long time to get. Got to work on the people actually showing up to run them.
I am not as down on Cohen as you guys.

DogsofAnarchy
12-05-2019, 11:43 PM
Templeton didn't have this budget to work with. Cohen isn't on the same planet as LT.

Larry Templeton was a thieving idiot who held MSU back for his 21 damn years. He once said, “We dont have the infrastructure to be successful....” Then he turned around an stabbed Coach Jackie Sherrill in the back. Don’t pretend to tell me about damn Larry Templeton. We just agreed to keep a coach that half our fans don’t want. Let’s see if that coach makes ANY changes to his staff. Let’s see if he makes ANY changes to a putrid Offense. Larry Templeton is back.

Todd4State
12-06-2019, 12:59 AM
Here's the way I read it.

1. It sounds like he's blaming the lack of urgency and looking unprepared on Tutor Gate. Makes me wonder if we don't have Tutor Gate if Joe is gone. It sounded to me like he was blaming the lack of preparation more on the players or someone other than Joe. Which to me doesn't make a lot of sense because Joe's job is to get them ready. I'm not sure who else he could be blaming- the assistant coaches? If that's the case that also falls back on Joe. S&C coach? Falls back on Joe. There's a fine line between giving someone every opportunity and having your head in the sand. At the same time I don't there is a debate that the defense looked much better with the Tutor Gate players. But would beating K-State really move the needle much for people at this point? Because you can't say that the Tennessee outcome would have been different because of the Tutor Gate players. I highly doubt that we would have beaten Auburn, LSU, or Alabama with the Tutor Gate players. And Texas A&M? Probably not.

2. It sounds to me like we will extend Joe but maybe renegotiate the buyout to something that I would assume (hope) is lower.

3. Reading between the lines- I don't believe that Keenum was the one that blocked Joe from being bought out. Keenum might want it to not work so he can get rid of Cohen to be honest with you.

4. The beer thing is over "family safety"? They must be completely oblivious to fans bringing in alcohol to the stadium or drinking in the Junction. It's stuff like this that makes me mad about MSU. Just be honest and say it's against your morals.

5. I'm not sure where people are seeing that he isn't going to do anything about concessions? He pretty much says the opposite. Even said major changes.

6. No ones their bowl destination yet. I don't understand that criticism of Cohen. The SEC has to let the SEC Championship Game be played and then they have to see who from the SEC makes the NY6. There are still some things that have to be played out before we know. And Cohen doesn't need to say "We really want the Music City Bowl" even if it's true because then that just creates disappointment if we go to the Belk, Texas, or Liberty Bowls. We'll know on Sunday.

ShotgunDawg
12-06-2019, 01:15 AM
At least we’re going to do something with the South end zone

Todd4State
12-06-2019, 01:25 AM
At least we’re going to do something with the South end zone

That's inevitable. Really it's a matter of timing and getting other facilities up to date. I'm guessing we'll do something by 2023.

Political Hack
12-06-2019, 01:30 AM
That's inevitable. Really it's a matter of timing and getting other facilities up to date. I'm guessing we'll do something by 2023.

Hope it's not more seats. Take a note from the Braves and downsize. Get creative with the space.

Todd4State
12-06-2019, 01:32 AM
Hope it's not more seats. Take a note from the Braves and downsize. Get creative with the space.

Agree.

I remember the rumor about the hotel possibly being put in. If not that I expect it will be some kind of other premium club style seating.

dawgday166
12-06-2019, 05:17 AM
Tutorgate hurt the defense some but not the offense. As long as Shoop is here Joe is probably here cause Shoop alone is going to get him to 6-8 wins. But 8 will always be our ceiling. No prayer of 10 or so wins. Gotta have an offense for that to happen.

Irondawg
12-06-2019, 08:03 AM
I listened to his interview on Bounds show and came away thinking that Joe isn’t his guy. He talked well of him but never excitedly supported him. Sounded like he was spouting the company line without really believing it himself.

He constantly hemmed and hawed when asked things about when the decision was made. He could have easily just said he was always coming back because we believe in Joe and what he’s building. He didn’t come close to that.

Rex54
12-06-2019, 08:15 AM
He’s in over his head. What a disaster.

PGHBulldogBG
12-06-2019, 08:30 AM
If Tutorgate is getting Joe an extra year, that is sending a bad message. If anything he should be penalized for having his players cheat under his watch. Allowing him to use that as an excuse for poor performance is asinine and shows the lack of leadership Cohen exhibits.

Dawgface
12-06-2019, 08:36 AM
I hope we have a new AD before a new head coaching search is done.

basedog
12-06-2019, 08:53 AM
Not sure some of you guys read the interview with Joe Coleman. I don't agree with all what Cohen stated but it's moving forward with projects which is our goal and interest.

Irondawg
12-06-2019, 09:08 AM
And just remember extensions are pretty commonplace now. Many people still see it as a reward but it's just optics unless there are guarantees in there and the buyout goes up.

I'm assuming that's not the case.

msbulldog
12-06-2019, 09:11 AM
Not sure some of you guys read the interview with Joe Coleman. I don't agree with all what Cohen stated but it's moving forward with projects which is our goal and interest.

Obviously many din't read the interview Basedog, they went with the OP, which was a mis-characterization.

Maroonthirteen
12-06-2019, 09:12 AM

There must be a lot of demand for luxury seating. Because I can?t figure out adding seating when we can?t fill cheaper seats and the student section.

It would take years....but I would knock the top Off that west side. Add loge and suites on the west and wide chairbacks in the lower levels to increase seating comfort and reduce seats. Also on the east side, the band needs to be moved to the endzone, so they can be heard on east and west sides. Also to remove the damn fence and have people actually sitting in the northeast corner of the stadium.

JoseBrown
12-06-2019, 09:17 AM
And just remember extensions are pretty commonplace now. Many people still see it as a reward but it's just optics unless there are guarantees in there and the buyout goes up.

I'm assuming that's not the case.

I would hope the buyout goes down significantly, why would we want to hamstring ourselves any further in the future getting rid of him. After all, he's the one that made the statement about us having to drag his Yankee ass out of here. And if we're worried it would be easier for someone to poach him from us, so be it.

Political Hack
12-06-2019, 09:21 AM
There must be a lot of demand for luxury seating. Because I can?t figure out adding seating when we can?t fill cheaper seats and the student section.

It would take years....but I would knock the top Off that west side. Add loge and suites on the west and wide chairbacks in the lower levels to increase seating comfort and reduce seats. Also on the east side, the band needs to be moved to the endzone, so they can be heard on east and west sides. Also to remove the damn fence and have people actually sitting in the northeast corner of the stadium.

All good suggestions. I'd like to see them start taking out the crappy metal bleachers and start putting in chair-backs for everyone. You'd downsize without actually cutting space and make it a nicer experience and a better looking stadium.

At one point in time there was some discussion about getting the LFL rugs involved on gameday, whether that be in the tailgate area or the edge of the stadium looking in. Be pretty cool to replicate the LFL feel in that area.

basedog
12-06-2019, 09:22 AM
Obviously many din't read the interview Basedog, they went with the OP, which was a mis-characterization.

It's very clear so many didn't. I suppose the hate for Cohen is the reason which to each there own. But reading the plans and going forward is a positive. I've seen tremendous progress over the last decade in facilities, we are getting much better now days with many sport projects. It takes years and years to upgrade and approve. I get the feeling some think we can get a "Genie" to appear and boom magic happens.
All these projects needed aren't all Cohen's fault, it's decades of lack of money and leadership that has gotten us behind most Sec schools. Thank goodness we are a member of the Sec as if not we would be like Usm, so would OM. That's a fact.
We are getting better, but we have years of catching up as far as Sec standards.
After all, we are a baseball school.

This Is Our State, remember?

ScoobaDawg
12-06-2019, 09:43 AM

Same... And this made it worse

Coursesuper
12-06-2019, 09:54 AM

Completely agree on this point. Get rid of the bleachers minus student seating, find a way to upgrade 100 and 200 level seating add premium seating to the south endzone. Make it the nicest experience in the conference. But no roof!**

bobcat91
12-06-2019, 10:44 AM
Yeah too many are still in their burning torches and pitchforks mode. Nothing wrong with what Cohen said. Some here act like hes going to come out in the press and dress Joe down. That happens behind closed doors. Everything else is about moving forward with facilities. Again, move on. We dont have a new coach and being pissed is a rotten way to go through life.

Tbonewannabe
12-06-2019, 10:45 AM
Make that 2 of us

Most people I talk to are the same. I asked my wife which bowl game she wanted to go to and she said none. Apparently she has seen enough and isn't going to another game that Moorhead coaches.

DDawg
12-06-2019, 11:24 AM
For me personally, I couldnt be more thrilled we are not going to allow alcohol sales in the stadium. We are Mississippi State, and therefore a state university of Mississippi. As such, in keeping with our culture and traditions, being first movers or progressive in adopting a policy that is expected to become commonplace is simply just not realistic for us to do. I applaud Cohen and Keenum for their stance on this, if you want to buy beer in a family environment such as an SEC college football stadium Id tell you that you can go to hell but I believe that you're well on your way already. PRAISE THE LORD AND GO DAWGS.

dantheman4248
12-06-2019, 11:26 AM
For me personally, I couldnt be more thrilled we are not going to allow alcohol sales in the stadium. We are Mississippi State, and therefore a state university of Mississippi. As such, in keeping with our culture and traditions, being first movers or progressive in adopting a policy that is expected to become commonplace is simply just not realistic for us to do. I applaud Cohen and Keenum for their stance on this, if you want to buy beer in a family environment such as an SEC college football stadium Id tell you that you can go to hell but I believe that you're well on your way already. PRAISE THE LORD AND GO DAWGS.

This is well crafted. You toe the line of sarcastic and believably crazy perfectly. Bravo.

Cowbell
12-06-2019, 11:59 AM
Legitimate question: if we extended Joe another year, does that spread the buyout money over three years instead of two If we fire him next year. If so that was a good move.

DDawg
12-06-2019, 11:59 AM
This is well crafted. You toe the line of sarcastic and believably crazy perfectly. Bravo.

Thank you, as one of our great governors Ross Barnett said "I love Mississippi! I love her people! Our customs. I love and respect our heritage"

Im glad we are still keeping his message close to heart.

gtowndawg
12-06-2019, 12:01 PM
Legitimate question: if we extended Joe another year, does that spread the buyout money over three years instead of two If we fire him next year. If so that was a good move.

I think that's part of the frustration with the administration right now. Meaning, nobody has any clear understanding of what is actually going on. I'd love to know the same answer. At least put out a press release with something official that gives (some) general ideas. I think they know people are not happy so they are just going to skirt around it and hope nobody ask.

Todd4State
12-06-2019, 01:53 PM

Depends on the negotiation. It could- and should be- reduced. It sounds to me like that’s where things are with Moorhead. In a negotiation stage.

They’re probably waiting on the outcome of the bowl game. It has been made abundantly clear to Moorhead that the team better be prepared and put on a good show.

AROB44
12-06-2019, 03:54 PM
Depends on the negotiation. It could- and should be- reduced. It sounds to me like that?s where things are with Moorhead. In a negotiation stage.

They?re probably waiting on the outcome of the bowl game. It has been made abundantly clear to Moorhead that the team better be prepared and put on a good show.

This is an "educated guess" like many things on a message board. No one has the absolute facts.

TrapGame
12-06-2019, 04:17 PM
This is an "educated guess" like many things on a message board. No one has the absolute facts.

Where do you think the "business trip" narrative has come from? Cohen stated that himself on Bo Bounds.

timotheus
12-06-2019, 05:23 PM
Cohen just has his fingers crossed with Joe. I just hope Napier is still around in the future when we buzz him again.

redstickdawg
12-06-2019, 05:36 PM
This is an "educated guess" like many things on a message board. No one has the absolute facts. I don't think that JoMo will have the team prepared for the bowl, when was the last time that we came out against a good P5 team and looked like the better prepped team?

Yep, I was once an IB fan and with his taking LT as an advisor has caused very serious doubts about his decision making process. IF LT and his ilk were still around we would have never seen Mullen and limited success in any other sport. Look how far we have come as a program after LT and imagine that we would have been happy with a bowl every 4-6 years instead of 10 straight. I'm deathly afraid we are headed back to LT penny pinching mode once again, you have to spend money (invest in good coaches and facilities) to make money.

msbulldog
12-06-2019, 05:48 PM

Its all in the negotiations such as 'We're going to extend your contract a year and we're going to reduce your buyout from paying you for every year left on your contract to 1 year' take it or leave it.

msbulldog
12-06-2019, 05:59 PM
I don't think that JoMo will have the team prepared for the bowl, when was the last time that we came out against a good P5 team and looked like the better prepped team?

Yep, I was once an IB fan and with his taking LT as an advisor has caused very serious doubts about his decision making process. IF LT and his ilk were still around we would have never seen Mullen and limited success in any other sport. Look how far we have come as a program after LT and imagine that we would have been happy with a bowl every 4-6 years instead of 10 straight. I'm deathly afraid we are headed back to LT penny pinching mode once again, you have to spend money (invest in good coaches and facilities) to make money.

He just said that LT is helping him with the bowl picking process which is very complicated. It's good to have LT in the SEC office as a friend of MSU.

Pinto
12-06-2019, 06:25 PM
He just said that LT is helping him with the bowl picking process which is very complicated. It's good to have LT in the SEC office as a friend of MSU.

Name one thing LT ever did good for MSU other than get kicked out. The whole time he was here he was setting himself up for an SEC job. He bent us over so many times to gain personal favor. That is why the fan base is split right now. We are back to before Byrne and the LT’s vs those who wish to prosper. If you support Cohen, then don’t ever expect to have a run like we did in the last decade. He and the LT’s aren’t forward thinking enough to get much less keep us there.

msbulldog
12-06-2019, 06:40 PM
Name one thing LT ever did good for MSU other than get kicked out. The whole time he was here he was setting himself up for an SEC job. He bent us over so many times to gain personal favor. That is why the fan base is split right now. We are back to before Byrne and the LT’s vs those who wish to prosper. If you support Cohen, then don’t ever expect to have a run like we did in the last decade. He and the LT’s aren’t forward thinking enough to get much less keep us there.

When were you a freshman at MSU?

Todd4State
12-06-2019, 07:30 PM

Where do you think the "business trip" narrative has come from? Cohen stated that himself on Bo Bounds.

Cohen stated that the bowl game will be a business trip several times. So, no it's not an "educated guess" as TrapGame and others have said.

Even if Cohen didn't come out and say it- there is no question that the Outback Bowl was a debacle. Plane issues that should have been avoided. And then the loss I think set the tone for Joe and MSU this year and not in a good way. A win could have the opposite effect- and Joe and Cohen both desperately need it. As I've said- Joe's biggest accomplishment so far was managing to split the fan base after a top five all time Egg Bowl win. Joe and Cohen need to patch things up with the MSU fanbase and more importantly the boosters if they want to hang around much longer.

dawgday166
12-06-2019, 07:51 PM

Yep.

basedog
12-06-2019, 07:57 PM
Cohen stated that the bowl game will be a business trip several times. So, no it's not an "educated guess" as TrapGame and others have said.

Even if Cohen didn't come out and say it- there is no question that the Outback Bowl was a debacle. Plane issues that should have been avoided. And then the loss I think set the tone for Joe and MSU this year and not in a good way. A win could have the opposite effect- and Joe and Cohen both desperately need it. As I've said- Joe's biggest accomplishment so far was managing to split the fan base after a top five all time Egg Bowl win. Joe and Cohen need to patch things up with the MSU fanbase and more importantly the boosters if they want to hang around much longer.

I hate to go back to the Outback game but.....we had our chances early and late to win that game. I don't blame Joe for this loss, Iowa had talent, yes a better seasoned Coach, two play makers at tight end. We made mistakes mostly by players in that game. JWS was correct Coaches job put players in a winning situation and they have to make the plays, ours didn't and Iowa players did.

dawgday166
12-06-2019, 07:59 PM
My only question to Cohen would be:

1) How did you screw up 2 hires in Cannizaro and Moorhead so badly?
2) Do you always hire so quickly without researching the candidates?
3) Do you even do background checks enough to know if they are or have been in fact Div 1 coaches???