PDA

View Full Version : We have a basketball game tonight.

Liverpooldawg
12-05-2019, 07:46 PM
I'm here. Gonna be a VERY sparse crowd.

Liverpooldawg
12-05-2019, 07:54 PM
It's filled in some. I've seen worse this time of year even when we were good back in the day.

Liverpooldawg
12-05-2019, 08:27 PM
If anyone cares we are struggling with LaTech. I know this isn't a topic that's allowed here these days but come on.

maroonmania
12-05-2019, 08:30 PM
We are terrible at the free throw line.

Liverpooldawg
12-05-2019, 08:38 PM
Other than Perry we are getting out hustled on both ends.

chef dixon
12-05-2019, 08:41 PM
La tech is a pretty good team. Only losses are to good programs in competitive games

MetEdDawg
12-05-2019, 08:46 PM
It's been what. 10 days since a game? We have one of these exceedingly long breaks every year and it feels like it sucks the momentum out of the program.

During that break we usually have 1 or 2 football games and a couple women's games. Basketball plus a very far 3rd fiddle.

maroonmania
12-05-2019, 08:46 PM
We are playing really poorly on the defensive end tonight.

Liverpooldawg
12-05-2019, 08:47 PM
Down by three at the half. We don't look very good at all. We are struggling mightily in the backcourt on offense.

Lord McBuckethead
12-05-2019, 08:48 PM
Maybe our defense will show up sometime tonight. They scored 39 pts on about 80% wide open uncontested.

maroonmania
12-05-2019, 08:49 PM
Give up 39 points in the first half. LT banks in a 3 at the buzzer to lead 39-36. We are sleep walking on defense.

parabrave
12-05-2019, 08:52 PM
Well the 2nd half is coming up so Carter will get hot and dam I just noticed just 10 total FTs between both teams. How is that possible, Did the refs swallow their whistles?

LoneStarDawg
12-05-2019, 08:53 PM
Have to wake up defensively in 2nd half

ZedFedder
12-05-2019, 08:56 PM
Hope they get going in second half.

Liverpooldawg
12-05-2019, 08:58 PM
They are quicker than we are and they are out working us. That's not a good combo.

Liverpooldawg
12-05-2019, 09:14 PM
If we don't turn it up on defense we are going to lose this game. Right now it's no fluke, there is no rat, they are out playing us and beating us.

ZedFedder
12-05-2019, 09:22 PM
Feazell has had an awful game.

Irondawg
12-05-2019, 09:28 PM
Feazell has improved a ton, but he's really pressing when he's in and makes a ton of TO's per minute and takes some awful shots.

parabrave
12-05-2019, 09:30 PM
Still can't defend a 3 ptr

Liverpooldawg
12-05-2019, 09:36 PM
The difference in the game is they are working their butts off to get a few more shots and better shots. They are just out playing us in both ends of the floor. It's no fluke. It's also quite worrying, whether we pull it out or not.

Liverpooldawg
12-05-2019, 09:41 PM
We may be about to get run out of the gym.

BayouDawg
12-05-2019, 09:43 PM
Just got out worked tonight. Disappointing effort

Irondawg
12-05-2019, 09:45 PM
It's tough to lose when you shoot 65% from 3. Even unguarded that's a rare number to hit

BayouDawg
12-05-2019, 09:48 PM
Woodard looks high

gtowndawg
12-05-2019, 09:51 PM
Right when I feel like people are getting excited again we stall out and have to start over again. We need a big win against someone to engage people.

msstate7
12-05-2019, 09:54 PM
Radio is not impressed with our defensive rebounding, fundamentals or effort

ZedFedder
12-05-2019, 09:59 PM
If you watched on TV, even late in the 2nd half they were smiling and laughing. Time for fun was far gone...

Liverpooldawg
12-05-2019, 09:59 PM
We got beat by a better team. I hate to say that but it's the truth. Their work rate was way better and their ball movement was the same. It wasn't a fluke, no rat. It doesn't bode well for the rest of the season. We have a LOT of work to do.

Before some of y'all start, they ain't more talented, but they are a better team.

PMDawg
12-05-2019, 10:00 PM
I'm so sick of caring about MSU sports

msstate7
12-05-2019, 10:00 PM
This loss isn't a killer, but I'm pretty let down by this game. This team has a long way to go

ZedFedder
12-05-2019, 10:03 PM
I think the huge layover was stupid, though. It’s basketball, it will happen. I just hope next game they have more fire. Look at Duke and Kentucky. Don’t give up on them!

Dawgology
12-05-2019, 10:06 PM
I think the huge layover was stupid, though. It’s basketball, it will happen. I just hope next game they have more fire. Look at Duke and Kentucky. Don’t give up on them!

Definitely. I was thinking the same thing. Like a week and a half. Most teams have played three games in that time.

Irondawg
12-05-2019, 10:09 PM
Up until tonight our effort and fundamentals had been better than previous seasons. Hopefully this was just a hiccup

R2Dawg
I think the 11 day layoff really hurt us tonight. Also school finals is starting as well. The energy and focus was not there tonight. Also good hands and quick teams is our weakness right now till Nick gets back.

I'll real disappointed in the effort tonight. I thought we were beyond this, guess I was wrong.

ZedFedder
I think Howland said this team is a projected tourney team, too. Can’t play half way and beat that type of team. This is the type of game where I wish Howland would chew on their butts.

parabrave
12-05-2019, 10:14 PM
Howland said that we need to be more physical down low and we weren't. Stats wise everything was even except for one. FTs they were 12-19 and we were 6-12. Neal said that one thing we needed to do was to drive to the basket to draw the fouls but didn't/

msu15
12-05-2019, 10:14 PM
Like clockwork

ShotgunDawg
12-05-2019, 10:17 PM
Like clockwork

Yup. Right when it looks like fans may get interested again, they lay an egg

Every time. You can almost bet the house

Big4Dawg
12-05-2019, 10:21 PM
Howland said the long break was due to trying to get Spoon back for Nova

"Initially going into the season I thought that there was a good chance based on the information fed to me that Nick would be eligible after just missing five more games," said Howland. "So in order to have him ready to play in that Villanova game, we front-loaded the schedule and played four games prior to going to Myrtle Beach (Invitational) where prior we would play just three games. So that's why this break occurred."

chef dixon
12-05-2019, 10:24 PM
Howland said the long break was due to trying to get Spoon back for Nova

"Initially going into the season I thought that there was a good chance based on the information fed to me that Nick would be eligible after just missing five more games," said Howland. "So in order to have him ready to play in that Villanova game, we front-loaded the schedule and played four games prior to going to Myrtle Beach (Invitational) where prior we would play just three games. So that's why this break occurred."

Both coaches wayyyyy overthought the tutor gate suspensions

fudawg
12-05-2019, 10:26 PM
We got beat by a better team. I hate to say that but it's the truth. Their work rate was way better and their ball movement was the same. It wasn't a fluke, no rat. It doesn't bode well for the rest of the season. We have a LOT of work to do.

Before some of y'all start, they ain't more talented, but they are a better team.

We lost because a normally bad 3 point-shooting opponent shot double their average. Had they shot their season 3 point average prior to tonight with everything else remaining the same, we win by 8 on an all around poor effort. It doesn't make it any less disappointing but this game was absolutely a fluke.

Lord McBuckethead
12-05-2019, 10:43 PM
Unfortunately, not a fluke. We need to work on our identity on offense and defense. They shot such a high clip because the continously hit open shots. Looke like they were doing a shoot around while we rotated late.

State82
12-05-2019, 11:09 PM
Basketball team channeling their inner Moorhead

Political Hack
12-05-2019, 11:14 PM
Teams that shoot well and move well are going to give us problems. We want to run and bang. Just a bad matchup for us. This is the first warning sign of an early ncaa tourney exit. I know it's early, but if we can't beat teams like that we'll fall quickly to a good midmajor.

tcdog70
12-05-2019, 11:21 PM
Tonight we really missed Little Spoon. Plus they got all the loose balls and shot double % on 3 pointers. Bad omen when we play for last Shot Iverson shoots too quickly and they Bank in a 3, to go up by 3 at half.

Liverpooldawg
12-05-2019, 11:46 PM
Tonight we really missed Little Spoon. Plus they got all the loose balls and shot double % on 3 pointers. Bad omen when we play for last Shot Iverson shoots too quickly and they Bank in a 3, to go up by 3 at half.

Yes we did. We had real trouble in the half court offense at the point. The other thing I think we got out done in was second chance points. At one time they had a big advantage. Woodard was also basically neutralized. Very disappointing game. That being said, I'll be surprised if that bunch doesn't Dance. I like the way they get after it and their ball mvemnt is really good. That coach is one to keep an eye on.

Liverpooldawg
12-05-2019, 11:48 PM
Teams that shoot well and move well are going to give us problems. We want to run and bang. Just a bad matchup for us. This is the first warning sign of an early ncaa tourney exit. I know it's early, but if we can't beat teams like that we'll fall quickly to a good midmajor.

Yep.

ZedFedder
12-05-2019, 11:57 PM
Auburn just had to win in OT against Furman. Like I said earlier, it’s basketball. Don’t give up on these guys.

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-06-2019, 12:02 AM
Yup. Right when it looks like fans may get interested again, they lay an egg

Every time. You can almost bet the house

And like clockwork our fans will quit on the team because of one loss they don?t deem worthy.

Liverpooldawg
12-06-2019, 12:02 AM
We lost because a normally bad 3 point-shooting opponent shot double their average. Had they shot their season 3 point average prior to tonight with everything else remaining the same, we win by 8 on an all around poor effort. It doesn't make it any less disappointing but this game was absolutely a fluke.

The reason they shot that well is they were getting WIDE open uncontested shots. It was no fluke. Their ball movement destroyed us.

MetEdDawg
12-06-2019, 06:00 AM
I just hatebthese long extended breaks like this.

Didn't we lose a non conference game a couple years ago under Howland against a team we shouldn't have after like a 10 day break from games? Feel like this is something we should be looking at.

During our break from 11/25 until yesterday, La Tech played 2 games while we played none. That's got to give them an advantage.

msstate7
12-06-2019, 07:08 AM
Now it's 12/14 before we face Kansas st

MetEdDawg
12-06-2019, 07:29 AM

Between 11/25 and our game with Kansas State we play 1 game, which was last night.

In that same time frame Kansas State will play 5 games.

That is really really bad for us. Can't let that happen.

Lord McBuckethead
12-06-2019, 08:06 AM
And like clockwork our fans will quit on the team because of one loss they don?t deem worthy.

Say what you want, but this is very true for the past 8 years. Just when the fans start to pay attention, they lose. Happened every single year that Lamar Peters was here.

Jack Lambert
12-06-2019, 08:29 AM
Unfortunately, not a fluke. We need to work on our identity on offense and defense. They shot such a high clip because the continously hit open shots. Looke like they were doing a shoot around while we rotated late.

How long has the current coach been hear?

PGHBulldogBG
12-06-2019, 08:36 AM
Clearly we didn’t play with the same intensity we did the first 7 games, but it’s not like it ruined the season completely . We will probably go 9-4 in non conference and 10-8 or 11-7 in SEC. Whether that will be good enough to get us to the dance will depend on other teams resumes. I’m not surprised by the loss because we are not a top 25 team, but I think this team has the best chance of making the 2nd round or sweet 16 with Nick back depending on seeding.

HoopsDawg
12-06-2019, 10:01 AM
Between 11/25 and our game with Kansas State we play 1 game, which was last night.

In that same time frame Kansas State will play 5 games.

That is really really bad for us. Can't let that happen.

That's absurd. Howland and Cohen over reacted trying to beat Villanova with Spoon.

smootness
12-06-2019, 10:31 AM
Clearly we didn’t play with the same intensity we did the first 7 games, but it’s not like it ruined the season completely . We will probably go 9-4 in non conference and 10-8 or 11-7 in SEC. Whether that will be good enough to get us to the dance will depend on other teams resumes. I’m not surprised by the loss because we are not a top 25 team, but I think this team has the best chance of making the 2nd round or sweet 16 with Nick back depending on seeding.

We would not make the tournament with that record.

We need to go more like 10-3 in OOC and 11-7 in the SEC at worst and even then I wouldn't like our chances.

I think we will go 11-2 and 12-6.

BrunswickDawg
12-06-2019, 10:37 AM

This break at least makes sense - finals started this morning.

Liverpooldawg
12-06-2019, 11:27 AM
This break at least makes sense - finals started this morning.

How dare we let finals get in the way of basketball.

msstate7
12-06-2019, 12:25 PM
We would not make the tournament with that record.

We need to go more like 10-3 in OOC and 11-7 in the SEC at worst and even then I wouldn't like our chances.

I think we will go 11-2 and 12-6.

That's a tall task, but doable. Gotta split KSU/Oklahoma, and have no hiccups vs bottom tier of sec

NCMSTFAN
12-06-2019, 01:40 PM
Auburn just had to win in OT against Furman. Like I said earlier, it?s basketball. Don?t give up on these guys.

I agree, these losses happen, it has happened to the big boys already this year to include Kentucky and Duke. Getting Nick back will help a lot too, but it still hurts to lose. Now we wait 8 more days to play Kansas State, these long stretches of not playing are not helping us at all!

PGHBulldogBG
12-06-2019, 02:04 PM
We might beat Kansas State on a neutral court since they are a bit down this year but I don’t see us going to Norman and winning. We also have New Mexico State who reminds me of La Tech. Alabama, A&M and Vandy might be easier games then anyone remaining on the non conference schedule.

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-06-2019, 09:16 PM
Say what you want, but this is very true for the past 8 years. Just when the fans start to pay attention, they lose. Happened every single year that Lamar Peters was here.

When will our fans realize how much parity there is in men?s basketball? There are tons of good players and good teams and basketball is a fickle game. Anyone can beat anyone on any given night, and that?s what makes it great. Ask Kentucky and Duke this year.

OLJWales
12-06-2019, 10:35 PM
Ole Miss coaches and players will enjoy bigger and more enthusiastic fans than us this year. Why? Cuz they've EARNED it..

Sick of wasted talent, under performing and not givva shit from our program. Time for me to stop giving a shit too. **** it.

Just tired of being tired.

Liverpooldawg
12-06-2019, 10:45 PM
Ole Miss coaches and players will enjoy bigger and more enthusiastic fans than us this year. Why? Cuz they've EARNED it..

Sick of wasted talent, under performing and not givva shit from our program. Time for me to stop giving a shit too. **** it.

Just tired of being tired.

How exactly have they earned it? They won 4 games and embarrassed themselves so bad in the Egg Bowl it made news all over the world. This after all the other embarrassing things they have done over the last decade. They have 9 players in the transfer portal and had 6 decommits on Monday. They haven't been to a bowl in 4 years. They evidently are about to hire a guy that USC wouldn't even let on their plane after they fired him on the tarmac after a road game during the season. That program is an unmitigated dumpster fire yet we have people who are scared of them. Poor ole whooped down MSU syndrome is rampant on this board. Scared to death of the worst Ole Miss program in years, it's embarrassing.

Whoops, I thought I was on a football thread. Sorry about that. Ole Miss basketball is in no better state than ours on the court. In the stands they are way better. This started with Gregg Byrne. He did some good things at MSU, but he was the one that really killed MSU basketball fan support. It was a delayed kill shot but he pulled the trigger none the less. I'm not editing the above though.

PGHBulldogBG
12-06-2019, 10:53 PM
Ole Miss is better in the stands in basketball because they have a coach and not a recruiter. Howland could maybe get us to the sweet 16 with his talent. The sad part is Kermit might take them further with little talent because of his in game coaching

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-07-2019, 12:07 AM
Ole Miss is better in the stands in basketball because they have a coach and not a recruiter. Howland could maybe get us to the sweet 16 with his talent. The sad part is Kermit might take them further with little talent because of his in game coaching

They lost to Oklahoma State by 40 last week.

OLJWales
12-07-2019, 09:13 AM
Om fans see a sense of urgency, enthusiasm and effort from their new coach and team which will be reflected by butts in the stands this season.

The lack of fans at The Hump is a reflection of too many consecutive years of unmet expectations with too many players not living up to expectations, laziness and not giving 2 shits.

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-07-2019, 12:36 PM
Om fans see a sense of urgency, enthusiasm and effort from their new coach and team which will be reflected by butts in the stands this season.

The lack of fans at The Hump is a reflection of too many consecutive years of unmet expectations with too many players not living up to expectations, laziness and not giving 2 shits.

If being a 5 seed in the NCAA tournament is not meeting expectations, then the fans expectations are too high.

OLJWales
12-07-2019, 12:46 PM
If being a 5 seed in the NCAA tournament is not meeting expectations, then the fans expectations are too high.

Good point and I agree but only to a degree. Overall it just seems Ben's stint thus far has been underwhelming.

I know 1st round shit happens but just damn. Hopefully little Spoon will bring some post season excitement.

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-07-2019, 12:57 PM
Good point and I agree but only to a degree. Overall it just seems Ben's stint thus far has been underwhelming.

I know 1st round shit happens but just damn. Hopefully little Spoon will bring some post season excitement.

I don't think people realize how bad off we were under Ray.

Baxter Price played in 21 games in 2012-2013.

OLJWales
12-07-2019, 01:00 PM
I don't think people realize how bad off we were under Ray.

Baxter Price played in 21 games in 2012-2013.

Ray's been long gone for many moons. Sell on that.

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-07-2019, 01:07 PM
Ray's been long gone for many moons. Sell on that.

It takes time to build back up, and we made the tournament in year 4. We didn't have anything close to a competitive roster when Howland arrived.

Attrition hurt us with some of our most highly recruited guys as well. Howland is doing great