PDA

View Full Version : JaMya Mingo-Young

jdelta02
12-04-2019, 05:41 PM
Women's basketball press conference....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqNKg6idyUg

Coach Schaefer spoke very highly freshman guard JaMya Mingo-Young. Coach Schaefer on Mingo-Young...."She's just ultra-competitive, I'm just so impressed with the kid."

I've been impressed as well. I had her as one of the starters before the start of the season. She gave the very talented Stanford point guard MUCH trouble defensively. My opinion, she's one of the toughest, most competitive freshmen in all of NCAA Division 1 Women's Basketball. Really brings it defensively, including forcing turnovers. Coach Schaefer type player, Coach Schaefer has built this program with players like this. Mingo-Young is ideal for his system. This team is gonna be very hard to beat as these youngsters gain more experience, and the team starts consistently defending and hitting the boards.

Coach Schaefer indicated that non of his players are scared. Proud of his team. Team making adjustments, including addressing rebounding issues. Talked about needing more toughness. Talked youth, discipline, ect.

Also, Coach Schaefer indicated that he needs more rebounding out of Rickea Jackson. More out of her offensively as well. Indicated that he feels that she's starting to really come on offensively.

He spoke a lot at the press conference about the importance of his players being on time, understanding the importance of this.

Mentioned exams are coming up.

Thick
12-04-2019, 06:25 PM
Gotta love Vic!

Dawg2003
12-04-2019, 06:25 PM
Mingo-Young could very well be the answer at PG. Didn't see that one coming, but it appears to be unfolding. Remember she was actually a much higher rated recruit before she was injured in high school.

I don't think we have the bodies to fix rebounding quickly. Carter is a finesse player that is not going to bang around in the post with anyone unless she hits the weight room. You are relying on Carter, Rickea, and Bibby for rebounds. Rickea is also a finesse player. Cooks can help next year.

99jc
12-04-2019, 06:30 PM
Mingo-Young could very well be the answer at PG. Didn't see that one coming, but it appears to be unfolding. Remember she was actually a much higher rated recruit before she was injured in high school.

I don't think we have the bodies to fix rebounding quickly. Carter is a finesse player that is not going to bang around in the post with anyone unless she hits the weight room. You are relying on Carter, Rickea, and Bibby for rebounds. Rickea is also a finesse player. Cooks can help next year.

I said after the 1st game she will be a superstar. She reminded me of Kennedy Carter of Texas A$M.

Irondawg
12-04-2019, 08:02 PM
I still love Matharu although she’s apparently in Vic’s doghouse as her minutes are way down. She’s got a great jump shot and gives effort on defense.

Her and Mingo young I Hope make a great backcourt with Jackson the next few years.

R2Dawg
12-04-2019, 08:08 PM
We have some outstanding young players. This year will be a learning curve. The next several years are gonna be title runs again.

somebodyshotmypaw
12-04-2019, 09:09 PM
We have some outstanding young players. This year will be a learning curve. The next several years are gonna be title runs again.

We are ranked #10 with only one senior on the roster. We lost to Stanford by 5. They are now ranked #1. Our top 3 players in that game in minutes were Carter, Jackson, and Mingo-Young. So it was sophomore, freshman, and freshman. The future is indeed bright.

Dawg2003
12-04-2019, 09:23 PM
I still love Matharu although she’s apparently in Vic’s doghouse as her minutes are way down. She’s got a great jump shot and gives effort on defense.

Her and Mingo young I Hope make a great backcourt with Jackson the next few years.

Matharu has a lot of potential, but she needs to learn to play within the system. Mingo has beaten her in the PG rotation, but Vic has also played her at the 2.

Irondawg
12-04-2019, 09:47 PM
Yeah, she's been a little trigger happy at times for a PG but doesn't really take a lot of "bad" shots and it one of our better players at creating their own shot.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-04-2019, 10:00 PM
Yeah, she's been a little trigger happy at times for a PG but doesn't really take a lot of "bad" shots and it one of our better players at creating their own shot.

A trigger happy PG on the women?s team...what is that?? I for one LOVE this. You got a PG with handles that can dish and is a threat to drain 3?s is my kind of PG. I have been missing this!!

Irondawg
12-05-2019, 12:13 AM
Oh I'm a fan of it and she's shown flashes of scoring in bunches, but I don't think it's what Vic wants. Thus why he's playing Mingo-Young more at the point now.

jdelta02
12-05-2019, 02:34 PM
The Stanford point guard is a Preseason Wooden Award Candidate, and former McDonald's All-American Game West Team MVP. She had 8 turnovers vs Miss. State. Miss. State credited with 20 forced turnovers in the game, including 4 by JaMya Mingo-Young alone. Team currently sits at 12th in the nation in turnovers forced per game. Has Coach Schaefer ever had a team since arriving at Miss. State that forces more turnovers than this one? These younsters may be young, inexperienced, still learning discipline and defensive assignments, playing through a good bit of mistakes, ect....still, they continue to help the team bring very high heat defensively. Kinda reminds you of the old Arkansas high pressure teams under Coach Nolan Richardson.

Dawg2003
12-05-2019, 03:06 PM
One thing Vic's teams always do well is limit their own turnovers and force turnovers. We also play a lot faster than other teams.