PDA

View Full Version : Braves Off-Season Thread for another season they won't win the title in 2020 edition

parabrave
12-04-2019, 02:16 PM
OK Braves fans

we signed Cole Hamels to a contract. With Cubs last year went 7-7. I hope he does better than DK, who I was all for. Now can we go get a top flight Catcher and a pitching coach.

Really Clark?
12-04-2019, 02:19 PM
Catcher is already signed in d’Arnaud

msstate7
12-04-2019, 02:27 PM
3b and OF left

ScoobaDawg
12-04-2019, 02:35 PM
And so begins.. the only allowed Braves thread till Spring of 2020....

parabrave
12-04-2019, 02:59 PM
3b and OF left

They are still in talks with donaldson, but the outfield problem is perplexing with Pache and Waters in AAA. I thought both would be ready. Unless they are dangling one of them for a younger stud pitcher. Personally having watched both I think Waters is a tad better. Pache takes off some times. and Tre Harris at Miss is a up and coming talent, plus he is a great guy very personable and approachable so is Waters.

msstate7
12-04-2019, 04:20 PM
They are still in talks with donaldson, but the outfield problem is perplexing with Pache and Waters in AAA. I thought both would be ready. Unless they are dangling one of them for a younger stud pitcher. Personally having watched both I think Waters is a tad better. Pache takes off some times. and Tre Harris at Miss is a up and coming talent, plus he is a great guy very personable and approachable so is Waters.

Even if one of them push their way up, we need another OF. I like Markakis/DuVall ok, but I like this a lot better...

Rf - Acuna
Cf- ender, hopefully replaced by waters/pache
Lf - ozuna

msstate7
01-05-2020, 06:37 PM
Well with the Saints season over, I can turn full pro attention to the braves. There's some message board/twitter (not big guys) chatter that Donaldson might sign with braves tomorrow. This would be a good thing to try and make it 3 straight NL East titles

parabrave
01-05-2020, 06:39 PM
Well with the Saints season over, I can turn full pro attention to the braves. There's some message board/twitter (not big guys) chatter that Donaldson might sign with braves tomorrow. This would be a good thing to try and make it 3 straight NL East titles

Still need a starter and closer.

Really Clark?
01-05-2020, 06:42 PM
Still need a starter and closer.

Already signed a closer in Smith

msstate7
01-05-2020, 06:50 PM
Already signed a closer in Smith

Yeah, the pen should be sick this season

Bubb Rubb
01-05-2020, 06:52 PM
Mets baby! Heads and shoulders the best team in the NL!

/belch

msstate7
01-05-2020, 06:54 PM
Mets baby! Heads and shoulders the best team in the NL!

/belch
Doubling down this year too, huh? I do think they'll be good, and the nl East will be a blood bath this year

Bubb Rubb
01-05-2020, 06:59 PM
Doubling down this year too, huh? I do think they'll be good, and the nl East will be a blood bath this year

Mets have some studs, especially if Cespedes comes back and is any semblance of his old self. The hot stove has them trading for Arenado which would be huge, but I'll have to see it to believe it. The two issues for the Mets last year were bullpen and defense. They're trying to shore those things up. Betances was a nice signing.

The best thing to happen to the Mets is the announcement that the Wilpons are selling the team. Now maybe they'll be willing to spend some money.

That said, as a Mets fan, I know the likely outcome will be disappointment again.

KOdawg1
01-15-2020, 11:34 AM
Donaldson to the Twins. Long-term it's probably for the best, but it hurts in regards to this year. That's a lot of production to replace. So how do you lessen the blow?

3b options are kinda low. You can trade some of your best prospects for 2 years of Kris Bryant, but I'd rather not do that. His defense is suspect and quite frankly, he's not worth breaking the bank for. Nolan Arenado has been rumored to be in trade talks but you'd have to send a huge package AND eat that big contract of his. No thanks. I think what'll end up happening is just let Camargo and Riley battle it out. Riley's analytics suggest he'll be a below average to average hitter who strikes out a lot. Camargo is what he is.

At this point, we need to target Ozuna or Castellanos in the OF to help gain back some of the production we're losing with Donaldson. There's no replacing JD, but these guys lessen the blow. Castellanos's defense sucks so I'd prefer Ozuna. Very lackluster offseason so far for a team coming off an NL East title. The East is going to be hell this year

parabrave
01-15-2020, 11:46 AM
Donaldson to the Twins. Long-term it's probably for the best, but it hurts in regards to this year. That's a lot of production to replace. So how do you lessen the blow?

3b options are kinda low. You can trade some of your best prospects for 2 years of Kris Bryant, but I'd rather not do that. His defense is suspect and quite frankly, he's not worth breaking the bank for. Nolan Arenado has been rumored to be in trade talks but you'd have to send a huge package AND eat that big contract of his. No thanks. I think what'll end up happening is just let Camargo and Riley battle it out. Riley's analytics suggest he'll be a below average to average hitter who strikes out a lot. Camargo is what he is.

At this point, we need to target Ozuna or Castellanos in the OF to help gain back some of the production we're losing with Donaldson. There's no replacing JD, but these guys lessen the blow. Castellanos's defense sucks so I'd prefer Ozuna. Very lackluster offseason so far for a team coming off an NL East title. The East is going to be hell this year

Well we have Austin but if he doesn't come out hot then we are in trouble.

Really Clark?
01-15-2020, 11:49 AM

Yeah not a ton of 3B options. You also have to wait for the MLB ruling on Bryant and his service time. He may only have a 1 left and would cost you less in prospects if the Cubs still try to move him.

With Arenado, that is a big contract and he has no trade clause as well, but he does have an opt out after 2021. So do you gamble for a high price hoping he opts out or want to sink that much for that long if he doesn?t? And it is gonna cost a bunch of prospects to get him.

I think if they go free agent Ozuna makes the best sense. But I would kick around some lower 3rd baseman as well. Maybe they will hit 18-22 HR but have a higher average and good glove. 1 or 2 years left of control or contract while Riley either develops better discipline or trade when they think is stock is the highest possibly. But the option to duplicate power that Donaldson brought is probably not realistic

msstate7
01-15-2020, 12:07 PM
I'd love to get starlin marte and Adam Frazier in a deal. Frazier could be the lh bat to rest swanson and Riley/camargo at 3b.

fader2103
01-15-2020, 01:20 PM
As a Cubs fan I am glad to get rid of him.

shoeless joe
01-15-2020, 02:29 PM
Supposedly braves had offered the 4th year and he got 92 mil from twins. Make me wonder what braves actually offered.

That said I wouldn’t have signed him for a high price over for more than 3 and really would only expect return for 2 more years. I wild be very intrigued with arenado.

dantheman4248
01-15-2020, 02:48 PM
Mets have some studs, especially if Cespedes comes back and is any semblance of his old self. The hot stove has them trading for Arenado which would be huge, but I'll have to see it to believe it. The two issues for the Mets last year were bullpen and defense. They're trying to shore those things up. Betances was a nice signing.

The best thing to happen to the Mets is the announcement that the Wilpons are selling the team. Now maybe they'll be willing to spend some money.

That said, as a Mets fan, I know the likely outcome will be disappointment again.

Re. ****ing. Tweet.

Counting down the days until the Wilpons are gone. Though I am happy with Betances. If Diaz can get back to what he was and familia be halfway decent then that's a solid pen. No way Ces is what he was but I'd be happy with 25 HRs and .260/.310/.480. That would be good enough to be solid for us. Then it comes down to staying healthy. At some point we gotta be healthy right?

msstate7
01-21-2020, 07:12 PM
Braves get ozuna 1-year, 18 million

KOdawg1
01-21-2020, 07:14 PM
Braves get ozuna 1-year, 18 million
Let's go. AA loves these one year deals

Really Clark?
01-21-2020, 07:30 PM
Just saw this. Like the one year deal and he is young enough if he bounces back to 2016-2018 form you can see extending him easier but it also doesn’t really block younger OF’s that are close if we decide to just keep him a year.

MetEdDawg
01-21-2020, 10:19 PM
Just saw this. Like the one year deal and he is young enough if he bounces back to 2016-2018 form you can see extending him easier but it also doesn?t really block younger OF?s that are close if we decide to just keep him a year.

I think this works out perfect. Sets up 2021 to do the following:

1) Pache comes up in 2021 to start
2) We go hard after Arenado 2021

I doubt we try to sign Ozuna after this year. We will platoon 3rd OF spot with Pache and Acu?a starting. Get Arenado long term, get a catcher for a year and hope Langeliers is ready by 2022. Could set up nicely.

I will add that no one mentioned we are non roster invitee for King Felix. 1 year $1 million. I like it.