PDA

View Full Version : Looks Like Ole Miss Will Go with the ULL vs App St Winner

ShotgunDawg
12-04-2019, 12:25 PM
Well, I assume they'll go with the winner. They may just go with Napier.

Not that Tom Luginbill is credible, but on Bo Bounds over the past few weeks, he's been pretty adimate that he doesn't believe Napier is ready for an SEC head job

Jack Lambert
12-04-2019, 12:27 PM
I suspect those two will not go to Ole Miss. They will probably feel like they can do better. Ole Miss will end up with a third candidate.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-04-2019, 12:34 PM
I suspect those two will not go to Ole Miss. They will probably feel like they can do better. Ole Miss will end up with a third candidate.

You want to bet?

trojandawg
12-04-2019, 12:42 PM
I highly doubt ole miss goes with an option style coach. I imagine they will get a coach who likes to throw the ball because that?s who they are. Corral will stay and Plumlee will go. They are planning for the next Manning kid so it won?t be a dual threat coach guy. I bet it is more of a pro spread Style type guy who likes to pass.

HailStateSZN19
12-04-2019, 12:43 PM
I can't see Napier turning down the job if offered it. Maybe I'm wrong but it would shock me.

bobcat91
12-04-2019, 12:44 PM
Wolken also said that ADs are shocked by the low level of interest in their openings. Most OM folks I know are starting to think Healy from Charlotte may be the guy.

CovertDawg
12-04-2019, 12:47 PM
I remember Wolken flipping out on Napier in August. This is basically the exact opposite of the Ole Miss recruiting method.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/dan-wolken/2019/08/16/louisiana-lafayette-billy-napier-required-donation-mistake/2030141001/

ShotgunDawg
12-04-2019, 12:50 PM
Wolken also said that ADs are shocked by the low level of interest in their openings. Most OM folks I know are starting to think Healy from Charlotte may be the guy.

ShotgunDawg
12-04-2019, 12:50 PM
I've heard no buzz around OM & Norvell. I don't think Norvell would take the OM job & I think Norvell is Tallahassee bound

ShotgunDawg
12-04-2019, 12:52 PM

I still contend that, with the new coach, Ole Miss will be a worse coached team in 2020 than they were this year.

Yes, they may upgrade at HC marginally, but there's no chance they hire two better coordinators

TrapGame
12-04-2019, 12:53 PM
Saw on SDS where McElwain is "emerging" as a candidate at Mizzou.

HoopsDawg
12-04-2019, 12:53 PM
Norvell is going to pass on Ole Miss but he's there no. 1 choice.

Their next coach will likely be Napier unless they can get Kiffin before Arkansas.

ShotgunDawg
12-04-2019, 12:54 PM
Saw on SDS where McElwain is "emerging" as a candidate at Mizzou.

Woof

Really Clark?
12-04-2019, 12:57 PM
Long OC at ND will or has received a call.

ShotgunDawg
12-04-2019, 12:58 PM
Norvell is going to pass on Ole Miss but he's there no. 1 choice.

Their next coach will likely be Napier unless they can get Kiffin before Arkansas.

Napier was 60%/39% running the ball in 2018 & 60%/40% running the ball in 2019 at ULL.

Going to be interesting if the OM faithful are good with this. Not exactly their style of coach.

Napier is significantly a better fit with MSU's style & culture than OM's. Just saying

msstate7
12-04-2019, 01:01 PM
Woof

I wasn't a big McE guy, but he's impressed me this year. To take over a school that was 1-11 (0-8), and have them at 8-4 (6-2) in the conf championship game as a 7.5-pt favorite is impressive. They were 12th (last) in their conf in total offense last year; they're 4th this year. They were 12th (last) in scoring offense last year; they're 4th this year. McE turned Colorado st around, did solid (not great) job at Florida before it fell apart in year 3, and has did an unbelievable job this year. I think mizzou may end up with a nice coach

ShotgunDawg
12-04-2019, 01:04 PM
I wasn't a big McE guy, but he's impressed me this year. To take over a school that was 1-11 (0-8), and have them at 8-4 (6-2) in the conf championship game as a 7.5-pt favorite is impressive. They were 12th (last) in their conf in total offense last year; they're 4th this year. They were 12th (last) in scoring offense last year; they're 4th this year. McE turned Colorado st around, did solid (not great) job at Florida before it fell apart in year 3, and has did an unbelievable job this year. I think mizzou may end up with a nice coach

I think they end with something almost exactly the same as Odom

BrunswickDawg
12-04-2019, 01:12 PM

And folks, this might be the actual reason we didn't pull the trigger. Coaches with decent gigs might be very hesitant to jump to a lower SEC team. Look at what you have -
Mizzou -on probation, have been mediocre at best and they don't have school support to build an SEC program
OM - have proven time and again to be impatient with coaches, are proven to be dumb cheaters (not smart cheaters), and it's only a matter of time before they get probation again. They also do not have a good roster situation
Arkansas - flaming dumpster fire

Which bring us to MSU - while we think the situation doesn't look as bad as the others we are on probation and that matters; have proven time and again that we shoot ourselves in the foot with our compliance dept., and still have something of a roster issue to clean up (numbers/balance). We are more patient then most schools, but that may be changing with our current saber rattling fan base. We also have a rep of being the hardest situation outside of Vandy and have the lowest budget.

And all of these teams have to recruit against the toughest schools in the country.

It is entirely possible Napier, Norvel, and others said "no thanks" and the ideas of Chizik or other candidates didn't look any better than what we already had.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
12-04-2019, 01:13 PM
Napier was 60%/39% running the ball in 2018 & 60%/40% running the ball in 2019 at ULL.

Going to be interesting if the OM faithful are good with this. Not exactly their style of coach.

Napier is significantly a better fit with MSU's style & culture than OM's. Just saying

That would be about right. Ole Miss hires our type of coach. The same one rumored that our Swisher Sweet Boys had lined up for us. And he proceeds to beat us for years to come running the same type offense that gave us success from 2010-2107.

Todd4State
12-04-2019, 01:16 PM
McIntyre’s OC at Colorado was Kurt Roper. That’s significant to me because Roper gets a lot of credit for developing Peyton Manning. Something to throw out there knowing another Manning is on the way.

deadheaddawg
12-04-2019, 01:18 PM
Are you sure its the winner they are going with or does the loser have to take the ole miss job as punishment?

Dawgtini
12-04-2019, 01:24 PM
Are you sure its the winner they are going with or does the loser have to take the ole miss job as punishment?

lol +1

Really Clark?
12-04-2019, 01:25 PM
I highly doubt ole miss goes with an option style coach. I imagine they will get a coach who likes to throw the ball because that?s who they are. Corral will stay and Plumlee will go. They are planning for the next Manning kid so it won?t be a dual threat coach guy. I bet it is more of a pro spread Style type guy who likes to pass.

Drinkwitz is not married to the option. He does have the Malzahn and Freeze background at Ark St, OC at Boise and NC St the last 4 years before App St. now he is definitely run first but he has a lot of tools in his box. He did a real good job using his personnel and what they are good at this year.

trojandawg
12-04-2019, 01:27 PM
correct. i highly doubt it's going to be an option style coach. i know that's what they did this year with plumlee and rich rod, but i expect that to be a one year thing. plumlee moves on to baseball full time.

Dawgfan77
12-04-2019, 01:27 PM
McIntyre’s OC at Colorado was Kurt Roper. That’s significant to me because Roper gets a lot of credit for developing Peyton Manning. Something to throw out there knowing another Manning is on the way.
I think Macs the guy. Here is why. So much $$ was tied to the buyout. No coach in his right mind is going to look at this schedule for them next year combined with the lack of talent and depth and say oh k can win there right away. Who is going to jeopardize a career early on.
Food for thought at lunch today

trojandawg
12-04-2019, 01:32 PM
Jason Candle might not be a name floating around for them, but i could also see that.

parabrave
12-04-2019, 01:45 PM

Manning is 4 years away. Alot can happen till then and New Orleans sports venues, WWL, have already put out that the kid likes LSU. As we already know Archie has his offspring go to schools with a QB guru on the staff.

Jack Lambert
12-04-2019, 01:52 PM
You want to bet?

If you are using the same sources everyone else around here are using then you will be wrong but I don't bet. Theres a reason why they gave it to Luke to begin with especially when it comes to that shitty bunch up north.

Spiderman
12-04-2019, 01:54 PM

While I agree OM will get away from the option, Plumlee isn't leaving.

fader2103
12-04-2019, 02:43 PM

Sometimes failure is the best recipe for success in the future. Of course the whole Coach O being the most recent example of this. We are not to far from McElwain being a top OC and good candidate on paper when he was at Colorado before going to Florida.

I also heard they are looking at Willie Fritz. Which I am kind of surprised that UM doesn't look at him especially with Will Hall there and how big Bobby is a big UM supporter.

bobcat91
12-04-2019, 02:45 PM
Drinkwitz is not married to the option. He does have the Malzahn and Freeze background at Ark St, OC at Boise and NC St the last 4 years before App St. now he is definitely run first but he has a lot of tools in his box. He did a real good job using his personnel and what they are good at this year.

I honestly have him as the top of my list when we replace Moorhead. He is very innovative and AP State hasn't missed a beat. They are a fun team to watch and I like him much more than Napier. Just my opinion. And if Moorhead gets replaced after next year, that gives him an extra year of evaluation.

HancockCountyDog
12-04-2019, 02:46 PM

Here is the real problem - the job market is thin this year. Its a great year to go looking for a coach.

There are 3 SEC jobs open. None of them really stand out.

On a national level the only job clearly better than the bears is FSU.

Now, they could still **** it up, but its not like they are competing against TN, FL, A&M, SC or AU for a coach. They are in the kiddie pool with Arkansas and Mizzou and in that pool they could stand out, especially if their young talent stays.

fader2103
12-04-2019, 02:48 PM
Here is the real problem - the job market is thin this year. Its a great year to go looking for a coach.

There are 3 SEC jobs open. None of them really stand out.

On a national level the only job clearly better than the bears is FSU.

Now, they could still **** it up, but its not like they are competing against TN, FL, A&M, SC or AU for a coach. They are in the kiddie pool with Arkansas and Mizzou and in that pool they could stand out, especially if their young talent stays.

I could see if a change is made next year by us we will be competing against

Vandy, USCe, and maybe Kentucky

Also I know its usually work by his agent but Dan's name is surfacing again for some NFL jobs.

HancockCountyDog
12-04-2019, 03:04 PM
I could see if a change is made next year by us we will be competing against

Vandy, USCe, and maybe Kentucky

Also I know its usually work by his agent but Dan's name is surfacing again for some NFL jobs.

Stoops is safe at Kentucky - I keep hearing that FSU is trying to get him to Tallahassee.

Look - you never know which job will come open. Pruitt could crash and burn next year. Gus could go 6-6 after losing his entire OL and DL. SC could definitely come open. Also - you don't know what West Coast and East Coast jobs open up that start the dominos.

Bottom line is that whether you wanted Joe fired or not, you can't argue with the fact that we would have our choice of head coach right now if we were looking.

Really Clark?
12-04-2019, 03:23 PM
I honestly have him as the top of my list when we replace Moorhead. He is very innovative and AP State hasn't missed a beat. They are a fun team to watch and I like him much more than Napier. Just my opinion. And if Moorhead gets replaced after next year, that gives him an extra year of evaluation.

I can see it. I will admit I do not like hiring a guy with just one year with a very established program. I want to see how they run it over at least 3 years. Unfortunately in today’s climate, coaches are getting plucked earlier so there is bigger risk. Like how Huepel was a hot name after just one season at UCF but Frost had him set up to succeed last year and this year they have taken a step back some, so he needs to build it back up some before I can see him. Strong was the same his first couple of years at USF.

ShotgunDawg
12-04-2019, 03:25 PM
The #1 thing I'm looking forward to with the new Ole Miss coach is how fans that haven't accepted that Ole Miss cheated during the Freeze era handle the new coach's 20s type recruiting.

I think there is a portion of that fan base that blames Luke for less recruiting than the Freeze era rather than acknowledging that they cheated.

If the Network rallies around the new coach & starts buying players again, the NCAA will perk up real real fast.

MoreCowbell
12-04-2019, 03:29 PM

I mean I hate Ole Miss but it’s an SEC job, they’d both take it.

yjnkdawg
12-04-2019, 03:50 PM
They still could possibly go with their current DC and get a really good OC that is not run first. They do need a change in direction on their offense, or they can forget getting any good WR's or maybe lose some of their current ones and a QB too. The defensive players supposedly love McIntyre. So we will see how it all plays out.

yjnkdawg
12-04-2019, 04:25 PM
The #1 thing I'm looking forward to with the new Ole Miss coach is how fans that haven't accepted that Ole Miss cheated during the Freeze era handle the new coach's 20s type recruiting.

I think there is a portion of that fan base that blames Luke for less recruiting than the Freeze era rather than acknowledging that they cheated.

If the Network rallies around the new coach & starts buying players again, the NCAA will perk up real real fast.

You can be assured that any HC coach hired by OM will have "The Network's" Blessings, because if he doesn't have "The Network's" endorsement then he won't be coaching at OM. "The Network" calls the shots.

gravedigger
12-04-2019, 04:43 PM
If you are using the same sources everyone else around here are using then you will be wrong but I don't bet. Theres a reason why they gave it to Luke to begin with especially when it comes to that shitty bunch up north.

I admire you Jack, but you have over half a billion in V cash. You bet plenty and you win plenty.

WPS
12-04-2019, 05:34 PM
I've thought Drinkwitz would be a perfect hire for Arkansas if he was in his 3rd or 4th year instead of his first. He could end up being a great coach but right now he's living off of Satterfield's recruits and has very little connections for assistants. A lot of people here have thought highly of him ever since he coached HS in Northwest Arkansas. But it would be a risky hire for an SEC team. I guess you could say the same for Kiffin though.

DDawg
12-04-2019, 05:37 PM
I've thought Drinkwitz would be a perfect hire for Arkansas if he was in his 3rd or 4th year instead of his first. He could end up being a great coach but right now he's living off of Satterfield's recruits and has very little connections for assistants. A lot of people here have thought highly of him ever since he coached HS in Northwest Arkansas. But it would be a risky hire for an SEC team. I guess you could say the same for Kiffin though.

Im told that if Kiffin falls through there is already another candidate in the mix that hasnt been previously mentioned in the media. Coordinator for major program in the Carolinas. Would be a big name to get if it works out. Though I heard through multiple sources to expect Kiffin hired UNLESS he is not hired within the next week or so. if it is not annouced within that timeframe begin to look for other candidates.

Randolph Dupree
12-04-2019, 05:54 PM
Kiffin to UM would be like giving an alcoholic an apartment in Burbon St and $10K cash.

Have to admit, he would recruit well and it would be fun to see and read all the rumors and crap that come out. In the end I think he and those boosters, together, would burn that place down. I'm for it.

trojandawg
12-04-2019, 06:02 PM
yeah, i would put the brakes on Drinkwitz love also. I would be saying the same about the new coach at Troy. Drinkwitz could be very good coach and may be. Satterfield had App State rolling for years. It really is a big shame we didn't get him in 2017 would have won big with Fitz and Thompson. Hopefully Napier stays put and is available after next season. I really hate missing out on some of these really good coaches at the G5 level because they weren't "good enough"

Really Clark?
12-04-2019, 06:08 PM
ULL are preparing to possibly lose Napier, depending on how the dominos fall. He could possibly make a move to Memphis if P5 jobs are not available to him but Norvell does move on.

Mjoelner34
12-04-2019, 06:20 PM
ULL are preparing to possibly lose Napier, depending on how the dominos fall. He could possibly make a move to Memphis if P5 jobs are not available to him but Norvell does move on.

I heard pretty much the same thing.

trojandawg
12-04-2019, 06:24 PM
Moorhead to ULL!

timotheus
12-04-2019, 07:05 PM
My non binary shark source tells me that the position is Norvell's to take or turn down. I assume he's considering FSU also. The next 2 in no particular order are Kiffin and Napier. All the others are backup plans.

HoopsDawg
12-04-2019, 07:27 PM

All hires are risky. Especially in the SEC. Agree on Drinkwitz though. Hasn't proven enough yet.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-04-2019, 08:29 PM

Why would he do that? I mean Memphis will probably pay half a million more, but that's not a lot in coaching circles. Memphis is in a better conference and has better talent, BUT for his first 3 years people will ignore whatever he does and credit Norvell for his success. At ULL, if he keeps winning he'll be an SE HC faster imo

Really Clark?
12-04-2019, 09:31 PM
Why would he do that? I mean Memphis will probably pay half a million more, but that's not a lot in coaching circles. Memphis is in a better conference and has better talent, BUT for his first 3 years people will ignore whatever he does and credit Norvell for his success. At ULL, if he keeps winning he'll be an SE HC faster imo

Memphis is paying Norvell about $2 MIL more than what he makes at ULL. So they could easily pay him $1 - $1.5 MIL more than he is making. If Norvell leaves for FSU or another P5 school then that sets him up pretty well if he wins at Memphis, straight to a P5 program of an even higher position than what he may get offered from a Sunbelt school. Any way, nothing is set at all, they are just preparing because he is getting a lot of play.

CadaverDawg
12-04-2019, 09:40 PM
My non binary shark source tells me that the position is Norvell's to take or turn down. I assume he's considering FSU also. The next 2 in no particular order are Kiffin and Napier. All the others are backup plans.

Then it will be Kiffin, because McCready say "If Ole Miss offers Lane he's taking it".**

Mjoelner34
12-04-2019, 09:46 PM
Really Clark, please clean out your inbox.

Thanks.

yjnkdawg
12-04-2019, 11:27 PM
Then it will be Kiffin, because McCready say "If Ole Miss offers Lane he's taking it".**

LOL He should know, but he isn't an OM fan.****

KOdawg1
12-04-2019, 11:42 PM
I just don't think Napier fits OM. He's a run first, power spread kind of guy, and that's not flashy enough for them. You saw how they lost their shit with RichRod this year. They like the flashy pass game bc that makes them look good. It's all about perception to them. I honestly hope they hire Kiffin. He'd be there 3 years tops bc he'd either 1) Pull a Hugh Freeze and get fired or 2) Be relatively successful and bolt for a bigger job.

I think their best bet is to promote MacIntyre and hire a good OC. What Mac did with that defense was impressive. They'd also get most of the recruits they lost back.

timotheus
12-04-2019, 11:53 PM
good points.

Todd4State
12-05-2019, 12:34 AM
I just don't think Napier fits OM. He's a run first, power spread kind of guy, and that's not flashy enough for them. You saw how they lost their shit with RichRod this year. They like the flashy pass game bc that makes them look good. It's all about perception to them. I honestly hope they hire Kiffin. He'd be there 3 years tops bc he'd either 1) Pull a Hugh Freeze and get fired or 2) Be relatively successful and bolt for a bigger job.

I think their best bet is to promote MacIntyre and hire a good OC. What Mac did with that defense was impressive. They'd also get most of the recruits they lost back.

I personally think that is what will happen.

Just because I find it weird that he was promoted to interim head coach even though they aren't going to a bowl. It may mean nothing but it's still odd to me to do that.

Really Clark?
12-05-2019, 06:53 AM
Really Clark, please clean out your inbox.

Thanks.

Done

Really Clark?
12-05-2019, 06:57 AM

Just because I find it weird that he was promoted to interim head coach even though they aren't going to a bowl. It may mean nothing but it's still odd to me to do that.

USF did the same thing. I think with the early signing period and teams having significant official visits the first of Dec, along with other issues within a program, we will see more schools doing this, regardless of record.

Randolph Dupree
12-05-2019, 09:43 AM

I see this playing out similarly. I just don't see Norvelle or Napier taking their shot there, with all the BS that surrounds them every year I just don't see it. Both of those guys are going to get their shot, so why take it there? I can see Mac, Rich Rod, Kiffin, or Fedora even. Those guys are all looking to get back in the game at a high level and UM gives them that chance. The BS of A UM type program is going to be in their future anywhere they go.