PDA

View Full Version : Will Joe Make Any Needed Staff Changes (OC)?

HailStateSZN19
12-04-2019, 12:09 PM
I'm not convinced he goes out and hires a legit "OC" that assumes play calling duties. Defeats the purpose of hiring him really. But I think Joe needs to make a "splash hire" (hate using that phrase because it sounds like OM) addition to the staff to generate some excitement. Now, I don't believe we'd be able to go out and poach any successful current P5 OC from another school, I'm not that naive. But, I had this idea in my head and wanted to see what smarter football minds than mine think about it (please, don't just comment that I'm a dumbass or something, I already know lol). But I'm going to lay it out & this is more of an example rather than saying go get this specific guy, it's more like "here's a type of move we could try":

Say Lincoln Riley decides to go be the Cowboys HC after this season (& maybe try this even if he doesn't do that), it'd be awesome to see us go entertain & test the waters on someone like Dennis Simmons on their staff. He's their outside WR's coach and recently added the AHC title. He's coached Marquise Brown, CeeDee Lamb, & Dede Westbrook at OU. Coached Michael Crabtree at Texas Tech. Has coached 1 Blitenkoff winner & 2-3 finalists at OU. Worked as the outside WR's coach at WSU under Leach for 3 years & also previously worked under Lincoln Riley at Texas Tech and ECU. He makes $460,000 per year. He's known as a top notch recruiter. Is this a pipe dream? Yeah maybe. But someone who has coached guys like this dude has that has put guys in the NFL recently and has that to sell is big-time. Throw the OC/PCG title at someone like that & move Michael Johnson to QB coach. Throw $600,000+ per year at a guy like this or even more. It's going to take fully committing to throwing some top dollar amount to someone to actually make a difference. Would someone like that come here? Maybe, maybe not. The lure of having the "OC" title in the SEC has to have some effect. Again, maybe this specific situation wouldn't necessarily work out but go after some WR coach or someone with a legit background coaching offense somewhere who isn't necessarily being paid top dollar that has put some guys in the NFL & has done some noteworthy things recently that recruits would recognize and take a shot on them and give them a raise with the "title" of OC & see if you can't lure someone in. I just don't see us luring in some successful OC name that is currently an OC at another P5 school. We paid Getsy what like $600,000? Throw closer to a million at someone and see who bites.

Again, not saying specifically go get this guy. But maybe try to poach someone who's salary is something we could give a pretty significant raise to that is not necessarily an "OC" but has a proven track record on the offensive side of the ball that comes from a successful P5 school and we could just add the "OC" title to them to pay them a little more. This may be an ignorant idea and something that would never happen or never work, but I just had this idea in my head and thought it might could be an option to bring some excitment & some change without Joe necessarily losing the play calling duties (I say that because I don't believe he will do so).

DogsofAnarchy
12-04-2019, 12:11 PM
At this point, I can really see JoMo making absolutely NO changes. All this other meeting with Cohen bullshit isn’t going to happen. That was to suffice the dissatisfaction that grew with this staff. My guess is NO changes.

TrapGame
12-04-2019, 12:14 PM
It's going to be tough to get quality asst. coaches when Joe is viewed as a lame duck coach next season. I can see upgrading S&C and maybe Joey Jones a hike but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Homedawg
12-04-2019, 12:29 PM
He's not giving up the offense. And to be fair, offense is what he does. What's the point in having him if you make him get someone to run the offense? If you believe in him to be the coach, you must believe in his offense. Yes, I know it's not good. Trust me I don't want him. But if you(meaning the ones over him) force him to change the offense, then they should have fired him.

TrapGame
12-04-2019, 12:34 PM
He's not giving up the offense. And to be fair, offense is what he does. What's the point in having him if you make him get someone to run the offense? If you believe in him to be the coach, you must believe in his offense. Yes, I know it's not good. Trust me I don't want him. But if you(meaning the ones over him) force him to change the offense, then they should have fired him.

We hired him for "his" offense. He has to make it work or else.

Coursesuper
12-04-2019, 12:35 PM

This, he swims or sinks on his terms.

HailStateSZN19
12-04-2019, 12:41 PM

I agree, but that's what I reiterated in the post. I don't believe he'd give up the offense nor do I expect him to or think he should. We hired him for his offensive mind so that's what he should do for better or worse. But I think using the "OC" title to try to reel in someone like a Dennis Simmons to give them that title and raise but not necessarily give him the play calling duties could be a good move. I don't expect him to but I'd can Breiner or just move him to like ST coach. I don't think he's necessarily sucked as a QB coach but what has he brought to the table? He's like the least mentioned assistant on staff. I think that's a spot you can upgrade at easily. Move Michael Johnson to QB coach (coached it several places plus in the NFL) & bring in like a Dennis Simmons who has a legit track record coaching a position on offense that recruits would immediately realize and could be a really good thing for recruiting. He's got a hell of a resume coaching WR's. Like I said, you're not poaching a successful P5 OC because some might see Joe as a "lame duck" coach next season but someone like Simmons who doesn't have the OC title that makes good money but could definitely receive a raise that might entice him to jump just for the money, the "OC" title, and moving up position wise at an SEC school. I'm not saying it has to specifically this dude at Oklahoma, but more so just that type of coach to where they've been highly successful yet you can give them a raise money-wise & coaching title wise.

HoopsDawg
12-04-2019, 12:43 PM
At this point, I can really see JoMo making absolutely NO changes. All this other meeting with Cohen bullshit isn’t going to happen. That was to suffice the dissatisfaction that grew with this staff. My guess is NO changes.

Joe thinks he's doing a great job. 8-5 is great for us historically and he didn't inherit the 85 Bears. This year we had the tutorgate 3 and he proved he could win in the SEC. Everyone we lost too went to a bowl.

New OC, ha, Go kick rocks.

HoopsDawg
12-04-2019, 12:47 PM

If Joe is truly a smart guy and an offensive savant like Cohen proclaimed, he would scrap 70% of his offense and start over from scratch. Just like Greg Roman and Harbaugh did with the Ravens. Roman created new terminology, new formations, and new playbook with the goal to simplify, simplify, simplify for Lamar Jackson who made a 13 on the wunderlic.

parabrave
12-04-2019, 12:57 PM
He needs to hire an OC/play caller, and more importantly a quality control assistant who can tell him he is fing up during practice, game prep and press conferences.

TrapGame
12-04-2019, 01:00 PM
He needs to hire an OC/play caller, and more importantly a quality control assistant who can tell him he is fing up during practice, game prep and press conferences.

If you couldn't tell from Joe's pressers he doesn't like criticism. He thinks everything is fine and I bet he told Cohen the same thing.