PDA

View Full Version : So Muschamp fires QB coach, SC coach and demotes OC, hmmm

R2Dawg
12-03-2019, 08:00 PM
Look at the contrasts at USC and MSU. Muschamp makes changes feeling pressure. What do we do? Coddle a loser coach while he insults our fanbase.

chef dixon
12-03-2019, 08:01 PM
Muschamp deserves to be fired more than Joe. I couldn't imagine going into year 5 with that guy

R2Dawg
12-03-2019, 08:04 PM
Maybe so that isn't the point. Anyone on the hot seat meaning a game away from being fired, has to make changes especially in the areas of obvious weakness. Muschamp willing to do that but appears we are not.

KB21
12-03-2019, 08:06 PM
The moral of this story is never hire a baseball coach to be your AD.

R2Dawg
12-03-2019, 08:10 PM
Based on the Matt Wyatt interview, appears to be about right. Too important a position to hire a learn on the job hire. I said on another post, you can't have AD and HC both learning on the job. Blind leading the blind. That is where we are.

Turfdawg67
12-03-2019, 08:14 PM
Look at the contrasts at USC and MSU. Muschamp makes changes feeling pressure. What do we do? Coddle a loser coach while he insults our fanbase.

Oh for Pete's sake... I'd take JoMo in a heartbeat over Muschamp. One is recruiting and getting ready for a bowl game... one is not. Joe, hopefully, will make changes afterwards...including an OC.

Turfdawg67
12-03-2019, 08:17 PM
Based on the Matt Wyatt interview, appears to be about right. Too important a position to hire a learn on the job hire. I said on another post, you can't have AD and HC both learning on the job. Blind leading the blind. That is where we are.

What exactly is your criteria for an AD? Honest question. Is there an aptitude test?

R2Dawg
12-03-2019, 08:17 PM
Oh for Pete's sake... I'd take JoMo in a heartbeat over Muschamp. One is recruiting and getting ready for a bowl game... one is not. Joe, hopefully, will make changes afterwards...including an OC.

We'll see. If he does that is a positive step but I'll believe it when I see it. Thread not about who is better; I don't want Muschamp either.

DownwardDawg
12-03-2019, 08:19 PM
Signing day and bowl prep coming up. Hopefully changes will happen after that.

vv83
12-03-2019, 08:25 PM
What exactly is your criteria for an AD? Honest question. Is there an aptitude test?

For an SEC school? Prior experience as a full time AD

Turfdawg67
12-03-2019, 08:29 PM
Okay. And again, not stating a position or arguing... did Byrne or Loafers have SEC experience?

Coursesuper
12-03-2019, 08:31 PM

At least actually training as an athletic administrator.

MetEdDawg
12-03-2019, 08:31 PM

So explain to me how much you like Greg Byrne at MSU.

I'll hang around and wait while you have to backtrack considering Byrne was not an AD prior to taking our job as AD.

Coursesuper
12-03-2019, 08:34 PM
Okay. And again, not stating a position or arguing... did Byrne or Loafers have SEC experience?

Yes they both did as assistant AD for the very well respected Mitch Barnheart at KY. Scott started in athletic admin here then moved on to Auburn before KY.

Dawgcap
12-03-2019, 08:36 PM
Might be because they’re uniforms are hung up for the year. We still have a month of practice and a game to play.
While I agree staff changes need to be made I hope the intensity of our coaching staff will be amped up in bowl preparations. I did see a different attitude and intensity from players and coaches last week. Moorhead needs to evaluate and cut bait when the season is officially over.

Cowbell
12-03-2019, 08:40 PM

Someone that knows athletics, has worked in the industry, has connections, understands keeping boosters happy, knows how to raise money, and knows when to cut ties.

yjnkdawg
12-03-2019, 08:42 PM
We aren't going to make any personnel changes prior to a bowl game. That would be kinda stupid. All our coaches need to focus on winning the bowl game and look at it as a business trip as Cohen said. Geeshh!!!

Harrydawg
12-03-2019, 08:47 PM

The Jo Mo bashing is getting tired.......we are going to make some changes. I am sure Jo feels badly that it?s not on your timeline. Just gonna have to kick rocks until it happens

OLJWales
12-03-2019, 08:51 PM
We just can't seem to build or hold on to nice things. Our AD position must suck. Every time we get a good one who starts doing good, they bolt. Even leaving their alma mater.

So we hire a baseball coach who has proven he's in over his head by retaining JOMO who has no business being HC of an SEC team. I guess the position has become so toxic Cohen's the best we can do these days.

Liverpooldawg
12-03-2019, 08:55 PM

We aren't going to fire any assistants till after the bowl. South Carolina is not going to a bowl. Good grief you people can't even figure that one out.

vv83
12-03-2019, 09:10 PM
So explain to me how much you like Greg Byrne at MSU.

I'll hang around and wait while you have to backtrack considering Byrne was not an AD prior to taking our job as AD.

You mean the guy who has been an associate AD at 3 different P5 schools for over 10 years before getting our job? You really showed me man good job. Also why would I backtrack? Even if Byrne has no prior AD experience and it worked doesn’t mean it will every time. There’s no need to take a risk. We’re an SEC school go get a real AD.

Gutter Cobreh
12-03-2019, 09:29 PM
We'll see. If he does that is a positive step but I'll believe it when I see it. Thread not about who is better; I don't want Muschamp either.

You're right, the thread is another attempt to bash our football coach. Quite frankly, the schtick had grown old. Right, wrong, or indifferent - Joe is the coach. No sense in continuing to reach for new ways to bitch and moan.

Randolph Dupree
12-03-2019, 09:33 PM
You mean the guy who has been an associate AD at 3 different P5 schools for over 10 years before getting our job? You really showed me man good job. Also why would I backtrack? Even if Byrne has no prior AD experience and it worked doesn?t mean it will every time. There?s no need to take a risk. We?re an SEC school go get a real AD.

Greg was a great hire. The guy was born to be an AD, almost literally. He had several years under his belt as an associate AD and already had tons of contacts built up. He was as good or a better hire than many in the CUSA or Sunbelt type programs would've been. I hated loafers but you could make a similar argument for him. Cohen was a baseball coach with an Associate AD title slapped on him a year prior to being named AD. Byrne and Loafers did nothing but AD stuff for years, Cohen coached baseball and got filled in on AD stuff for a few months.

The other thing we are forgetting, Is that Cohen has never had an agent. So he can't call his agent, or his old agent any assistance there. Could it be possible that he got bulldozed by Joe's agent?

Dawgcap
12-03-2019, 09:44 PM
Didn’t think this would turn into questioning our ad but he did make hire many bragged on. Has it turned out good so far? Nope but he’s made a stand and will pay the price if he is wrong. I honestly hope he is right because he’s the eyes and ears of our athletic program. But I’m gonna support the team and trust the process. In Power 5 athletics all teams face tough decisions and at the end of it all I’d say 10-15 schools at best will have a strong backing of their fanbases. And of those 10-15 half of more are on a up trend at the time. The fan base bales at the first sign of adversity. Hell look at our own conference 10-12 fanbases right now ain’t happy.

MetEdDawg
12-03-2019, 10:18 PM
You mean the guy who has been an associate AD at 3 different P5 schools for over 10 years before getting our job? You really showed me man good job. Also why would I backtrack? Even if Byrne has no prior AD experience and it worked doesn’t mean it will every time. There’s no need to take a risk. We’re an SEC school go get a real AD.

You said needed experience as an AD. Period. And he didn't meet those qualifications.

So either admit you were wrong or move the line.

vv83
12-03-2019, 10:27 PM
You said needed experience as an AD. Period. And he didn't meet those qualifications.

So either admit you were wrong or move the line.

Again my point stands. But good job on the fallacy.

we're an SEC school. Hire someone who has been an AD. Just because Byrne worked out (who had 10 years of prior experience as an associate AD vs JC who was a baseball coach) doesn't mean it will every time. There's a reason we lost our last 2 to other P5 schools.

Percho
12-03-2019, 10:28 PM

Who would you have hired?

MetEdDawg
12-04-2019, 07:02 AM
Again my point stands. But good job on the fallacy.

we're an SEC school. Hire someone who has been an AD. Just because Byrne worked out (who had 10 years of prior experience as an associate AD vs JC who was a baseball coach) doesn't mean it will every time. There's a reason we lost our last 2 to other P5 schools.

You said your point stands, then 2 sentences later said go hire someone who's been an AD.

Not sure how your point stands when Greg Byrne wasn't an AD before he got to MSU but was wildly successful here.

Really Clark?
12-04-2019, 07:33 AM
We aren't going to fire any assistants till after the bowl. South Carolina is not going to a bowl. Good grief you people can't even figure that one out.

Teams fire coaches prior to a bowl. Texas just did with main positions. There is no right or wrong because you see a lot of different timings from now through the last signing period.

1bigdawg
12-04-2019, 08:52 AM

We could get rid of the Special Joey Jones. Special teams could be coached by one of our recruiters or analysts. They could not do much worse.