PDA

View Full Version : Cohen on Wyatt now

parabrave
12-03-2019, 02:20 PM
:confused: says it all. Compare JoMo 1st 2 years to Vics'. Says JOMO is smart and he (Cohen) likes to surround himself with Smart people, BTW So did Westmoreland,. Talks about how he loves JOMOs recruitingv style and he told JOMO that this bowl game is business and must be treated like a business trip. But nothing about JOMOs coaching ability/

trojandawg
12-03-2019, 02:23 PM
Cohen keeps proving that he doesn?t know what he is doing in that position. Should have just made him an associate ad over baseball and the dude and gave the head job to someone who had worked in an ad position before

TStationDawg
12-03-2019, 02:27 PM
Joe can't hold Vic's jock. There is no correlation between the two. None. One can coach and invites fans in, the other loses games in Q1 and tells fans to kick rocks. Seriously John! Talk about smart people, obviously John's not of them to draw that correlation.

MedDawg
12-03-2019, 02:28 PM
Cohen keeps proving that he doesn?t know what he is doing in that position. Should have just made him an associate ad over baseball and the dude and gave the head job to someone who had worked in an ad position before

He was our Associate AD under Stricklin before becoming AD.

gtowndawg
12-03-2019, 02:28 PM

I was onboard and open minded about him being AD but I was wrong. We need a legit, experienced AD.

TStationDawg
12-03-2019, 02:29 PM
This is a huge problem. Blast me for all your worth, but I know there are more fans like me than aren't- Joe aint winning us over. This will be AT BEST, a divided fan base, until he's gone. I was at Maroon and Co this week and even the clerk behind the desk couldn't believe he was back. Its insanity.

lefty96
12-03-2019, 02:30 PM
I was onboard and open minded about him being AD but I was wrong. We need a legit, experienced AD.

Y e p

TrapGame
12-03-2019, 02:40 PM
Joe can't hold Vic's jock. There is no correlation between the two. None. One can coach and invites fans in, the other loses games in Q1 and tells fans to kick rocks. Seriously John! Talk about smart people, obviously John's not of them to draw that correlation.

Our head nurse here at the clinic is long time friends with someone who has worked in the AD for many years. She said this person told her a lot of people in the AD were shocked when it was announced Joe was staying. He was a fired coach walking since Tennessee.

sandjunky
12-03-2019, 02:45 PM
Guys guys it’s all about talking him up so he can be hired away

TrapGame
12-03-2019, 02:45 PM
Guys guys it’s all about talking him up so he can be hired away

If only that were true. I think is four alarm damage control from EB night.

Dawgology
12-03-2019, 02:47 PM
Guys guys it?s all about talking him up so he can be hired away

I think we waited because the powers that be in this state new that it was time to release Matt Luke from Ole Miss. Next year it will be our turn if JoMo fails. They didn't want to contend with a major coaching search in both schools. Sadly, I think politics played a major role in this decision.

fader2103
12-03-2019, 02:51 PM
Our head nurse here at the clinic is long time friends with someone who has worked in the AD for many years. She said this person told her a lot of people in the AD were shocked when it was announced Joe was staying. He was a fired coach walking since Tennessee.

I am tired of these, I know someone who is friends with someone who found out something.

I want someone to come out and say John Cohen told me this personally.

parabrave
12-03-2019, 02:55 PM
I am tired of these, I know someone who is friends with someone who found out something.

Sorry but this makes too much sense and straight talk from the horses mouth does not correlate with a messages boards business plan.

confucius say
12-03-2019, 03:04 PM
This is a huge problem. Blast me for all your worth, but I know there are more fans like me than aren't- Joe aint winning us over. This will be AT BEST, a divided fan base, until he's gone. I was at Maroon and Co this week and even the clerk behind the desk couldn't believe he was back. Its insanity.

I would hope we can be open minded. If we are 5-0 going into the bye next year then everybody needs to be pulling the rope.

Pinto
12-03-2019, 03:10 PM
Hope this link to the interview works: https://post.futurimedia.com/wrks/playlist/19/listen-2765.html?cb=1575401757.567382

I gained no confidence in Cohen or Joe from this. Cohen just sounds lost and that he is reacting to everything. Guess I'm too used to Byrne and Sticklin (who I wasn't the biggest fan of) being out in front of everything.

RiverCityDawg
12-03-2019, 03:10 PM
Now that we are keeping him this is what I would expect the AD to say. He can't come out and blast the guy. He's not Jerry Jones, he actually has to support him in the public until the day he fires him. Nothing to see here.

TrapGame
12-03-2019, 03:16 PM

I'm going to be nice. You can take his to the bank.

Lord McBuckethead
12-03-2019, 03:17 PM
I think we waited because the powers that be in this state new that it was time to release Matt Luke from Ole Miss. Next year it will be our turn if JoMo fails. They didn't want to contend with a major coaching search in both schools. Sadly, I think politics played a major role in this decision.

Politics, yes. But not what you listed. Who cares if both schools are looking at the same time? Ole Miss would get the lesser of two candidates. That is the only people that would have an issue with us and then shopping at the same time.

Dawgology
12-03-2019, 03:22 PM
Politics, yes. But not what you listed. Who cares if both schools are looking at the same time? Ole Miss would get the lesser of two candidates. That is the only people that would have an issue with us and then shopping at the same time.

Exactly. You would probably not be too shocked at the pull Ole Miss has on the hill in Jackson.

TimberBeast
12-03-2019, 03:22 PM
:confused: says it all. Compare JoMo 1st 2 years to Vics'. Says JOMO is smart and he (Cohen) likes to surround himself with Smart people, BTW So did Westmoreland,. Talks about how he loves JOMOs recruitingv style and he told JOMO that this bowl game is business and must be treated like a business trip. But nothing about JOMOs coaching ability/

Well that was actually smart on his part.

WinningIsRelentless
12-03-2019, 03:25 PM
Hope this link to the interview works: https://post.futurimedia.com/wrks/playlist/19/listen-2765.html?cb=1575401757.567382

I gained no confidence in Cohen or Joe from this. Cohen just sounds lost and that he is reacting to everything. Guess I'm too used to Byrne and Sticklin (who I wasn't the biggest fan of) being out in front of everything.

Do I need to remind you of Strick and Rick Ray?

Jack Lambert
12-03-2019, 03:28 PM

Different theme but Ole Miss doesn't have the control it use to in Jackson. A lot of it is because going out of state pushing for students where MSU and USM have pushed for in state students. There is more to it but there are a lot of MSU alumni who are doctors and lawyers in this state. Sooner then we think there will be a lot of USM alumni doctors with the DO school at William Cary. My understanding is they are graduating 700 doctors this year.

Just in case you don't know what I am talking about.

https://www.wmcarey.edu/page/what-osteopathic-medicine

Dawgology
12-03-2019, 03:32 PM
Different theme but Ole Miss doesn't have the control it use to in Jackson. A lot of it is because going out of state pushing for students where MSU and USM have pushed for in state students. There is more to it but there are a lot of MSU alumni who are doctors and lawyers in this state. Sooner then we think there will be a lot of USM alumni doctors with the DO school at William Cary. My understanding is they are graduating 700 doctors this year.

Wow! I thought about 700 was all of William Carey's enrollment...

Jack Lambert
12-03-2019, 03:39 PM
Wow! I thought about 700 was all of William Carey's enrollment...

I am thinking after this graduating class they will have gradated 700. I typed it wrong.

TrapGame
12-03-2019, 03:44 PM
My father in law does a lot of architectural work renovating William Carey. It would amaze you the stuff they got going on down there. They are not funding stuff on the cheap.

Percho
12-03-2019, 04:18 PM
Look, no one wanted Jo gone more than me, however I pray, P R A Y, he becomes the most successful coach we have ever had. Would like nothing more than to see my and all others, of my attitude, with their heads buried in the sand we have been pounding.

Dawg2003
12-03-2019, 04:21 PM
Vic took over a bottom feeder program with Sun Belt talent. What a stupid comparison.

Todd4State
12-03-2019, 04:24 PM
Is this the interview where Cohen said that we had 40 things that Joe needs to do differently?

Doggie_Style
12-03-2019, 04:30 PM
I am thinking after this graduating class they will have gradated 700. I typed it wrong.

WC only graduates around 100 from their medical school......they hope to double that in the future.

trojandawg
12-03-2019, 04:39 PM
I'm talking about being a full time associate ad. you cannot be a coach and associate ad at the same time at the sec level. he had no experience with everything else but baseball. he sat in on a few hires. that did not qualify him to run the show. he should have had to take a place as a full time associate ad. to me it was a slap in the face of others in the AD department to hire him.

Saltydog
12-03-2019, 05:31 PM
I don't have any inside info from anyone in the AD but I can unequivocally tell you this first hand.

I know for a fact that one of the players made the comment today that "the system doesn't fit in the SEC. Great guy but not a great coach".

You can be the smartest sob to ever step foot on the sideline but that doesn't make you a great coach, AT ALL. I think that's where a lot of people are missing boat. If the players don't buy in, nothing else matters. END OF STORY!

HoopsDawg
12-03-2019, 05:39 PM
rick ray is a smart guy too

DownwardDawg
12-03-2019, 05:52 PM
Look, no one wanted Jo gone more than me, however I pray, P R A Y, he becomes the most successful coach we have ever had. Would like nothing more than to see my and all others, of my attitude, with their heads buried in the sand we have been pounding.

I’m with you brother. I don’t like him, but I love MSU. I hope his Yankee ass wins the SEC West before he leaves.

gtowndawg
12-03-2019, 05:54 PM
I don't have any inside info from anyone in the AD but I can unequivocally tell you this first hand.

I know for a fact that one of the players made the comment today that "the system doesn't fit in the SEC. Great guy but not a great coach".

You can be the smartest sob to ever step foot on the sideline but that doesn't make you a great coach, AT ALL. I think that's where a lot of people are missing boat. If the players don't buy in, nothing else matters. END OF STORY!

I totally agree but did a player post this somewhere (tweet or whatever) or just told someone?

MCsMGs
12-03-2019, 05:57 PM

The people who can do that won't be posting what he said on a message board...

Coach34
12-03-2019, 06:02 PM
The people who can do that won't be posting what he said on a message board...

The people who can do that pass it to people who will post it on a message board. What gets me is that I'm hearing that Cohen is blaming Keenum and Keenum is blaming Cohen. If that's true- that's a ****ing problem.

Dolphus Raymond
12-03-2019, 06:03 PM
General Westmoreland? He surrounded himself with ?Yes-men? just as his predecessor, General Harkins did. Like Harkins, he was a blind fool.
As for Moorhead, I was all for firing him. However, had we done so, we would be in the same shape as Ole Miss is now. Thankfully, cooler heads prevailed. Is he The Answer? Perhaps not, but firing a guy after two seasons probably would not have ended well. Have a plan in place next year to quickly replace him should things go to Hell in a hand basket. Look at the sh-t show that is now Ole Miss and that would be us had we run him off. As a consequence of the Egg Bowl disaster, Ole Miss?s hand was forced, and they were caught flat-footed. It may work out for them, but from where I?m sitting, it does not look promising.

gtowndawg
12-03-2019, 06:04 PM
The people who can do that pass it to people who will post it on a message board. What gets me is that I'm hearing that Cohen is blaming Keenum and Keenum is blaming Cohen. If that's true- that's a ****ing problem.

If that's true, Joe is right. We really are a bunch of dumb hicks.

Todd4State
12-03-2019, 06:06 PM

With all due respect I don’t believe that because if that was the case they would just fire Moorhead and mend fences.

Saltydog
12-03-2019, 06:09 PM
No, he isn't dumb enough to post it on social media but I can assure you it was said. I won't give anymore details but you dang well know if one player feels like that there are many others.

ScottH
12-03-2019, 06:15 PM
Cohen is an amateur.

bobcat91
12-03-2019, 06:27 PM

John does nothing without Keenums approval. That's where those who want to assign blame can look.

RougeDawg
12-03-2019, 06:32 PM

Everything you saw posted here Thursday, was told to many media people by the horse, I mean gelding himself. That?s why the ones I know were shocked at the announcement. Anything other than a convincing win, and they were told SloMo was gone. A sloppy ass win that could have easily been a loss and they all expected the gelding to follow through on his initial word.

After the game there was some funny business and a certain someone backed out of the initial agreement and started acting like a petulant brat with threats.

was21
12-03-2019, 06:33 PM
Cohen is actually pretty small minded , petty and sometimes pulls bush league stunts publicity wise

RougeDawg
12-03-2019, 06:37 PM
Can someone refresh my memory. Did Vic walk into a top 15 team with multiple future professional players? Maybe I missed that part.

If The Gelding really did say this, he needs to be fired before SloMo is.

Todd4State
12-03-2019, 06:40 PM
Can someone refresh my memory. Did Vic walk into a top 15 team with multiple future professional players? Maybe I missed that part.

If The Gelding really did say this, he needs to be fired before SloMo is.

I’m surprised he didn’t compare Joe to himself to be honest. Would have been a much better comparison for sure. Except Joe has been more successful in years one and two.

Should have gotten the brat to agree to that deal in writing. Hindsight is 20/20.

Jarius
12-03-2019, 07:11 PM
No, he isn't dumb enough to post it on social media but I can assure you it was said. I won't give anymore details but you dang well know if one player feels like that there are many others.

The 247 guys have mentioned that some Of the older guys have not bought in. If the person you are talking about is an older guy that will actually be a little bit encouraging because it gives me hope that the younger guys that Joe actually recruited will be giving more effort and have more belief that this can work.

DownwardDawg
12-03-2019, 07:15 PM
John does nothing without Keenums approval. That's where those who want to assign blame can look.

Well, I guess that’s pretty smart since he works for him. I don’t agree with my boss sometimes but I usually end up giving in. It’s pretty lucrative.

AROB44
12-03-2019, 07:23 PM
Well, I guess that?s pretty smart since he works for him. I don?t agree with my boss sometimes but I usually end up giving in. It?s pretty lucrative.

Makes sense to me...

Saltydog
12-03-2019, 07:38 PM
Yes, it is an upperclassman. I get what you're saying but a lot of the younger guys look up to the juniors and seniors to set the tone. I guess we'll see and you may certainly be correct about the guys he's brought in but that's only one class.

Coach34
12-03-2019, 07:44 PM

People say that- but I'm not so sure.

I posted from my source that we were going to hire Kenny Payne as our HC because that's who Keenum told him that is who we were going to hire.
I posted from my source that we were going to get rid of Moorhead- because that is what Keenum told him was going to happen.

I have a hard time believing Keenum lies to people that have their names on buildings. That doesn't keep you in your position very long

Jack Lambert
12-03-2019, 07:53 PM

I posted from my source that we were going to hire Kenny Payne as our HC because that's who Keenum told him that is who we were going to hire.
I posted from my source that we were going to get rid of Moorhead- because that is what Keenum told him was going to happen.

I have a hard time believing Keenum lies to people that have their names on buildings. That doesn't keep you in your position very long

Tongue and cheek here: Keenum and Cohen used the sources to make fans think Moorhead was gone to get people to the game.

R2Dawg
12-03-2019, 07:57 PM

Oh my, he didn't just try to compare Joe to Vic??? Whew talk about disconnected. Now we see where the problem is. The only comparison of Joe is with Croom.

Joe needs to take notes from Vic who has played and won championships. He could learn about that championship standard.

bobcat91
12-03-2019, 08:26 PM

If that is the case, the AD out doing his own thing would be out looking for a job. But he is still employed

Cowbell
12-03-2019, 08:37 PM
Oh my, he didn't just try to compare Joe to Vic??? Whew talk about disconnected. Now we see where the problem is. The only comparison of Joe is with Croom.

Joe needs to take notes from Vic who has played and won championships. He could learn about that championship standard.

The sad part is we have a large portion of our fans that are eating this up. Blind sheep...

Coursesuper
12-03-2019, 08:41 PM
If that is the case, the AD out doing his own thing would be out looking for a job. But he is still employed

That's not entirely accurate, there are a lot more politics in play, it's not as simple as you are laying it out to be.

Coursesuper
12-03-2019, 08:43 PM
The sad part is we have a large portion of our fans that are eating this up. Blind sheep...

Exactly as they want them to.

Mjoelner34
12-03-2019, 08:48 PM
Tongue and cheek here: Keenum and Cohen used the sources to make fans think Moorhead was gone to get people to the game.

Ive been wondering the same thing Jack. As split as the fanbase is on Moorhead, it was a packed house with everyone pulling for a win Thursday night.

Coach34
12-03-2019, 08:58 PM

The AD's job at the end of the day comes down to Booster backing- hell look at Keith Carter. He sang Luke's praises 2 weeks ago- fired him Sunday because he was told to by the Boosters. Money controls everything at the end of the day. Cohen had some money backing to keep Joe or he wouldn't have stood pat.

maroonmania
12-03-2019, 09:18 PM

I'm concerned Cohen seems to be eaten up with trying to have an "intellectual" coach as his #1 criteria. That may work in some sports, including baseball, but not football. I personally don't think Cohen would have even hired Mullen had it been Cohen's choice. Mullen's playbook didn't have enough plays with 5 or 6 different QB reads. Wondering if the more complex something is the more Cohen is impressed.

Todd4State
12-03-2019, 09:32 PM
The 247 guys have mentioned that some Of the older guys have not bought in. If the person you are talking about is an older guy that will actually be a little bit encouraging because it gives me hope that the younger guys that Joe actually recruited will be giving more effort and have more belief that this can work.

What the heck is up with that? I really don't understand that if true to be honest with you. Not buying in hurts all- not just them. If they really think that they should probably hit the portal and it kind of makes me wonder why they are staying.

Of course it could be BS.

LOL.

The AD's job at the end of the day comes down to Booster backing- hell look at Keith Carter. He sang Luke's praises 2 weeks ago- fired him Sunday because he was told to by the Boosters. Money controls everything at the end of the day. Cohen had some money backing to keep Joe or he wouldn't have stood pat.

Yep. The boosters are really the ones running the show. Cohen is simply their face.

I'm concerned Cohen seems to be eaten up with trying to have an "intellectual" coach as his #1 criteria. That may work in some sports, including baseball, but not football. I personally don't think Cohen would have even hired Mullen had it been Cohen's choice. Mullen's playbook didn't have enough plays with 5 or 6 different QB reads. Wondering if the more complex something is the more Cohen is impressed.

As I've said before Cohen wants to be the smartest guy in the room. Oddly enough some of the best football coaches I've ever seen are pretty intellectual. Bill Walsh, Bill Belllichick, Paul Brown, off the top of my head. The difference is those coaches demanded that their teams be physical. Joe- not so much. Of course he's not in those coaches stratosphere anyway. He may think he is but...

Churchill
12-03-2019, 09:50 PM
He is what some would call a pseudo intellectual.

BuckyIsAB****
12-03-2019, 10:03 PM
I would hope we can be open minded. If we are 5-0 going into the bye next year then everybody needs to be pulling the rope.

If we were worth a shit we would be. We easily could be 5-0 going into it, but if you have any shred of confidence that Moorhead can get us there then I have some ocean front property to sell you in Starkville

maroonmania
12-03-2019, 10:17 PM
General Westmoreland? He surrounded himself with ?Yes-men? just as his predecessor, General Harkins did. Like Harkins, he was a blind fool.
As for Moorhead, I was all for firing him. However, had we done so, we would be in the same shape as Ole Miss is now. Thankfully, cooler heads prevailed. Is he The Answer? Perhaps not, but firing a guy after two seasons probably would not have ended well. Have a plan in place next year to quickly replace him should things go to Hell in a hand basket. Look at the sh-t show that is now Ole Miss and that would be us had we run him off. As a consequence of the Egg Bowl disaster, Ole Miss?s hand was forced, and they were caught flat-footed. It may work out for them, but from where I?m sitting, it does not look promising.

Yep, I'm convinced that even besides the money issue with the buyout, Cohen and probably even moreso Keenum were very concerned about the optics of lil' ol' MSU firing a coach after year 2 that just made a bowl for the 2nd year and is 2-0 against OM. I'm not sure either of them believe in JoMo any more than a lot of the fans but they just didn't want to deal with any blowback. Say what you want but Luke is a different story. I know about sanctions, but still he has had 2 losing seasons and his teams have repeatedly done embarrassing things in the Egg Bowls he has coached.

maroonmania
12-03-2019, 10:37 PM
As I've said before Cohen wants to be the smartest guy in the room. Oddly enough some of the best football coaches I've ever seen are pretty intellectual. Bill Walsh, Bill Belllichick, Paul Brown, off the top of my head. The difference is those coaches demanded that their teams be physical. Joe- not so much. Of course he's not in those coaches stratosphere anyway. He may think he is but...

For it to work at MSU, he would have to be a hardass intellectual. I'm convinced of that. Nice guy coaches never work for us.

Todd4State
12-04-2019, 12:51 AM
For it to work at MSU, he would have to be a hardass intellectual. I'm convinced of that. Nice guy coaches never work for us.

I agree. That's true of any football coach. I remember Bill Walsh had a big sign in the locker room saying " I WILL NOT BE OUTHIT ANYTIME THIS SEASON" and the entire team signed it. Being physical is a non-negotiable in football.

Todd4State
12-04-2019, 12:53 AM
Yep, I'm convinced that even besides the money issue with the buyout, Cohen and probably even moreso Keenum were very concerned about the optics of lil' ol' MSU firing a coach after year 2 that just made a bowl for the 2nd year and is 2-0 against OM. I'm not sure either of them believe in JoMo any more than a lot of the fans but they just didn't want to deal with any blowback. Say what you want but Luke is a different story. I know about sanctions, but still he has had 2 losing seasons and his teams have repeatedly done embarrassing things in the Egg Bowls he has coached.

I think Tutor Gate had a lot to do with it too. Our defense was obviously better with Gay, Autry, and Murphy. Add in QB injuries and that's enough of an excuse for some people. Plus winning the Egg Bowl gave him some more leeway. If Tutor Gate doesn't happen we may very well have a new head coach.

NCDawg
12-04-2019, 12:54 AM

I disagree with "cooler heads prevailed." Moorhead should have been fired..

DeputyDawg94
12-04-2019, 01:27 AM
So, he likes to surround himself with smart people. That’s nice and all, but I like to win football games.
I wonder if Bill Gates is interested in our coaching position next year? Can’t get much smarter than that.
Sure wish we could of hired Einstein a few years back.

War Machine Dawg
12-04-2019, 12:54 PM
Exactly. You would probably not be too shocked at the pull Ole Miss has on the hill in Jackson.

That's because most of the legislature went to school there, and I don't mean for law school. I'll get ridiculed for this statement, but until we start electing qualified officials with Mississippi State ties, then we'll forever be second fiddle. And not just because the Virginia Slims and our admin think we're second fiddle, although that's a major problem too.

War Machine Dawg
12-04-2019, 01:02 PM
That's not entirely accurate, there are a lot more politics in play, it's not as simple as you are laying it out to be.

No kidding. How hard is it to figure out the Virginia Slims put The Gelding/Spineless Bastard in place and are keeping him there, at least for now? Keenum may want to do something and not have the pull to get it done because of the Virginia Slims. It all circles back to them at some point.