PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys remember the statement Cohen made when they hired Moorhead?

msudawglb
12-03-2019, 10:32 AM
Cohen basically said that where we were with our offense that we could not beat the powerhouses. He said that he hired Moorhead because he thought he could get us there with our offense. We were a run heavy offense that mostly used their WR's to block. Moorhead was brought in to change the offense to a more pass friendly offense with the run still occurring.

Year 1, Joe tried to put in his offense and strongly underestimated the ability of Fitz to read defenses and make the passes. And our WR's are way below SEC level. Yes, it was frustrating to see players that were not used to the best of their abilities....like Fitz and Aeris.

Year 2, Joe tried to bring in a smarter QB who could make the throws and successfully run his offense. Well, who knew that he would be soft and get injured often. I don't care what anyone says, Keyteon was never going to be a successful QB in Moorhead's offense. Could we run him often and rely on him to make the 1st read short passes....yes...but that's not why Moorhead was hired (see opening statement). We had the 10 players suspended and our QB became a true freshman. Those are huge setbacks.

Yes, I do get frustrated at times with some of his coaching decisions. But all teams experience this. I live in Alabama and just spoke to a long time Bama fan who was so frustrated the Saban had Bama pass when it was 2nd and goal. Auburn intercepted that pass for a 100 yard pick 6. I do think we need better S&C and special teams play. But, I think most of you forget that Cohen hired Moorhead to develop our offense into something that will do better than just beating the lesser teams. Is it there yet, obviously not. We need better skill position play all around to make this offense go.

I'm having a hard time too, but I'm trying to support Moorhead for another year. I wish a few more would quit wishing we would go back to the dumb running QB and get on board with this Moorhead offense as it continues to develop.

TrapGame
12-03-2019, 10:43 AM
It's more than just the offense. We have a soft coach running a soft team. I don't care what kind of offense you're running that is a recipe for disaster in the SEC. Moorhead can't adapt his offense in the same way he can't make in-game adjustments. Thank goodness he can recruit fairly well or this would be a total bust.

msugolf
12-03-2019, 10:44 AM
Cohen basically said that where we were with our offense that we could not beat the powerhouses. He said that he hired Moorhead because he thought he could get us there with our offense. We were a run heavy offense that mostly used their WR's to block. Moorhead was brought in to change the offense to a more pass friendly offense with the run still occurring.

Year 1, Joe tried to put in his offense and strongly underestimated the ability of Fitz to read defenses and make the passes. And our WR's are way below SEC level. Yes, it was frustrating to see players that were not used to the best of their abilities....like Fitz and Aeris.

Year 2, Joe tried to bring in a smarter QB who could make the throws and successfully run his offense. Well, who knew that he would be soft and get injured often. I don't care what anyone says, Keyteon was never going to be a successful QB in Moorhead's offense. Could we run him often and rely on him to make the 1st read short passes....yes...but that's not why Moorhead was hired (see opening statement). We had the 10 players suspended and our QB became a true freshman. Those are huge setbacks.

Yes, I do get frustrated at times with some of his coaching decisions. But all teams experience this. I live in Alabama and just spoke to a long time Bama fan who was so frustrated the Saban had Bama pass when it was 2nd and goal. Auburn intercepted that pass for a 100 yard pick 6. I do think we need better S&C and special teams play. But, I think most of you forget that Cohen hired Moorhead to develop our offense into something that will do better than just beating the lesser teams. Is it there yet, obviously not. We need better skill position play all around to make this offense go.

I'm having a hard time too, but I'm trying to support Moorhead for another year. I wish a few more would quit wishing we would go back to the dumb running QB and get on board with this Moorhead offense as it continues to develop.

The problems don't stem from simply going from run heavy to pass oriented (in fact we're running it more under Joe). Its the WAY we are trying to change it. Instead of quick reads, quick decisions, get the ball out fast, tempo we went to multiple reads, multiple options, have to make the CORRECT call, slow it down. SEC defenses are too fast for college QBs to sit back there and decipher through all of that stuff. I bet if we had simpler reads and routes it would hide our WRs deficiencies to a degree and they wouldn't need to be 5 star talents needing to outwork a DB every time.

bigplayslay
12-03-2019, 10:45 AM
It's more than just the offense. We have a soft coach running a soft team. I don't care what kind of offense you're running that is a recipe for disaster in the SEC. Moorhead can't adapt his offense in the same way he can't make in-game adjustments. Thank goodness he can recruit fairly well or this would be a total bust.

Exactly. I've seen no ability to adjust his offense to compliment the skill players we have. For example, in games where we struggle to pass block why not get one of the SEC's top backs in open space with a screen? Another play would be any kind of quick pass.

RiverCityDawg
12-03-2019, 11:02 AM

I swear if one more person uses the "10 players suspended" excuse in conjunction with why our offense sucks, I'm going to go full "Shotgun" and lose my ever-loving mind.

We had 3 meaningful players suspended and NONE of them played offense.

If he doesn't make material changes to his approach on offense AND his approach to getting the team prepared to go on the road, we aren't winning more than 6 games again next year (and that's best case scenario). This isn't a small tweak, avoid injuries and suspensions, another-year-in-the-system situation. The approach is broken and has to be changed.

basedog
12-03-2019, 11:07 AM
I swear if one more person uses the "10 players suspended" excuse in conjunction with why our offense sucks, I'm going to go full "Shotgun" and lose my ever-loving mind.

We had 3 meaningful players suspended and NONE of them played offense.

If he doesn't make material changes to his approach on offense AND his approach to getting the team prepared to go on the road, we aren't winning more than 6 games again next year (and that's best case scenario). This isn't a small tweak, avoid injuries and suspensions, another-year-in-the-system situation. The approach is broken and has to be changed.

LOL!

DLGDawg
12-03-2019, 11:07 AM

Everyone wants the offense to START developing. So far, it has not. That?s not opinion, that?s fact.

TrapGame
12-03-2019, 11:19 AM
Everyone wants the offense to START developing. So far, it has not. That?s not opinion, that?s fact.

Going into year three and we are waiting for the offensive genius to become the offensive genius.

FISHDAWG
12-03-2019, 11:22 AM
Cohen might know baseball but it sounds like he doesn't know shit about football

msudawglb
12-03-2019, 11:28 AM
Here are the stats for Offense and penalties over the last 4 seasons (minus one bowl game this year).

msugolf
12-03-2019, 11:36 AM
Here are the stats for Offense and penalties over the last 4 seasons (minus one bowl game this year).

Did you even watch our games the past 2 years

parabrave
12-03-2019, 11:40 AM

It isn't the scheme it's the person in charge of the scheme.

msudawglb
12-03-2019, 11:45 AM
Did you even watch our games the past 2 years

Every one. Did you?

I'm not going "all in" and totally defending him. I'm just showing the stats. For one, I was surprised at the lower penalties.

dantheman4248
12-03-2019, 11:58 AM
That type of thinking shows why Cohen failed with this hire. You don't hire a guy to run a system. You hire him to win games. The coach runs the system that makes the players work. Look at the Patriots. How many of those Super Bowls did they run the same system?

You don't fit square pegs into round holes. You mold the holes to fit the pegs. (And conversely you mold the pegs to fit the holes with GOOD S&C.)

For the record I believe the type of system Moorhead wants to run is the future and have believed it. LSU is proof. Moorhead just simply isn't good enough at captaining the ship to make everything work together (and from many accounts isn't putting the work in to get better or make the cohesion between system and players fluid enough.)

BB30
12-03-2019, 12:16 PM
The problems don't stem from simply going from run heavy to pass oriented (in fact we're running it more under Joe). Its the WAY we are trying to change it. Instead of quick reads, quick decisions, get the ball out fast, tempo we went to multiple reads, multiple options, have to make the CORRECT call, slow it down. SEC defenses are too fast for college QBs to sit back there and decipher through all of that stuff. I bet if we had simpler reads and routes it would hide our WRs deficiencies to a degree and they wouldn't need to be 5 star talents needing to outwork a DB every time.

Tell LSU that the SEC defenses are too fast for college QBS to sit back and make reads. They do a lot of similar things in the passing game that we try and incorporate. The difference is they actually have SEC athletes doing it and not sunbelt WRS and skill guys.

Now, the question is, can we get some SEC WRs etc to come here. Over the last decade that has been a no.

ShotgunDawg
12-03-2019, 12:23 PM
We need WRs

msugolf
12-03-2019, 12:24 PM
Tell LSU that the SEC defenses are too fast for college QBS to sit back and make reads. They do a lot of similar things in the passing game that we try and incorporate. The difference is they actually have SEC athletes doing it and not sunbelt WRS and skill guys.

Now, the question is, can we get some SEC WRs etc to come here. Over the last decade that has been a no.

LSU is not running Moorhead's offense. I don't care how many times you've heard Joe Brady worked under JoMo, they're running more Sean Peyton formations than anything else. They run tempo and go fast. Our offense is nothing like theirs. Just watch the rb and the run schemes.

bulldawg28
12-03-2019, 12:45 PM
LSU is not running Moorhead's offense. I don't care how many times you've heard Joe Brady worked under JoMo, they're running more Sean Peyton formations than anything else. They run tempo and go fast. Our offense is nothing like theirs. Just watch the rb and the run schemes.

I have no idea why people don't understand this.

trojandawg
12-03-2019, 12:47 PM
because i've discovered many of the jo blows that come on here and post either have never played the sport or don't understand it so they have no idea what they are talking about except for being a casual fan.

msugolf
12-03-2019, 12:48 PM
I have no idea why people don't understand this.

The same reason why people think all we need is WRs for his offense to work

trojandawg
12-03-2019, 12:50 PM
almost everything moorhead runs develops too slowly to work in this league. the only time it does is when we play someone who has a crappy db's and a crappy dline.

3rdGen
12-03-2019, 12:56 PM

30 yr old GA "of sorts" for the Saints under coach Sean Peyton.
Heard it on the radio this morning myself....

Also is it not possible that the student became the master here?

I mean dang just cause Joe Brady liked a few of the GURU's passing schemes while they worked together doesn't mean that he is running Jomo offense.....

Am I wrong here... I mean, I am sittin heavy on the mucinex DM right now.....and its after lunch.

TL;DR - I agree.

TrapGame
12-03-2019, 12:59 PM

Brady said in an interview he uses about 10% of Moorhead's offense. It's mainly some of the RPO concepts and that's it.

Did y'all catch Coach O saying they're doing whatever it takes to keep Brady? Franklin never said that about Joe, the offensive guru. He was pushing him to Starkville the whole time.

Mjoelner34
12-03-2019, 01:03 PM
That 10% is the football, a QB and WR's.

WPDawg
12-03-2019, 01:15 PM
almost everything moorhead runs develops too slowly to work in this league. the only time it does is when we play someone who has a crappy db's and a crappy dline.

We have to get better offensive line play for making this work. Smarter, more experienced OL will give offense a lift. Not 1 or 2 guys but the whole line must be up to the task....for an entire series and game. I don't recall how we are doing on OL new recruits but some have said our younger players are going to be good. Got to win at the line first.

Todd4State
12-03-2019, 01:53 PM
Brady said in an interview he uses about 10% of Moorhead's offense. It's mainly some of the RPO concepts and that's it.

Did y'all catch Coach O saying they're doing whatever it takes to keep Brady? Franklin never said that about Joe, the offensive guru. He was pushing him to Starkville the whole time.

A couple of Penn State’s dumbass fans said that they would win a National Title with Joe and want him back. I’m all for letting them find out.

bulldawg28
12-03-2019, 03:41 PM
The same reason why people think all we need is WRs for his offense to work

Agreed

Jack Lambert
12-03-2019, 03:44 PM
I was thinking at the time I wish someone would show him how to ring a cow bell. He looked like Obama throwing a baseball.

Jack Lambert
12-03-2019, 03:46 PM
A couple of Penn State’s dumbass fans said that they would win a National Title with Joe and want him back. I’m all for letting them find out.

They are probably correct because they are running his offense with out him plus there would be a HC on the side line who can take care of other things that Moorhead misses being on our side line. He needs to hiring a OC so he can be the HC during the game.

Really Clark?
12-03-2019, 03:48 PM

How bout posting what we have done in that time vs conference teams or teams with winning records. If you really want to have fun, leave off ARK the last 2 years where 30% of our total conference points have come from