PDA

View Full Version : FACT: Since 1990 MSU Is a GREAT Head Coaching Job

ShotgunDawg
12-02-2019, 03:08 PM
One narrative that needs to die a quick death is that MSU is a coaching graveyard. In reality, it's the opposite.

Since 1990 when the Egg Bowl was moved back to campus:

- MSU is tied for the fewest amount of head coaches in the SEC at 4 with UGA & Mizzou. Arkansas leads the way with 10 followed by Florida & Ole Miss with 9.

- Since 1990 MSU holds a 16-13 edge in the Egg Bowl.

- Since 1990 Ole Miss has 189 wins & MSU has 184 wins (which includes 5 inexplicable Croom years)

- Since 1990 MSU has been to 17 bowl games while Ole Miss has been to 14 bowl games.

- MSU has been to 10 straight bowl games.

My only contention with last 29 years of MSU football is maybe we aren't expecting enough of ourselves. Perhaps only having 4 head coaches in that time span isn't enough. Perhaps we let a few guy stick around too long.

Whatever the case may be, it's undeniable that MSU is an excellent head coaching job. That narrative should be dropped from the history books.

Captain Falcon
12-02-2019, 03:58 PM
Shotgun: “We need to stop comparing ourselves to Ole Miss!”

Also Shotgun: “Let’s compare ourselves to Ole Miss.”

The 90s were up and down with the peak coming at the end of the decade. The 2000s were absolutely terrible. The 2010s have been largely good. We have certainly elevated the program from what it once was, but we still have one of the most difficult jobs in the SEC. The West eats coaches alive, and we are the smallest fish in the pond on our side of the conference.

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2019, 04:04 PM
We still have one of the three hardest jobs in the SEC. It's harder to get people here than you think. Jackie had a history with the NCAA. Nobody else would have hired Croom. Mullen was the coup. JWS was instrumental in that hire I have heard. Mullen leaving on his own after being successful was MAJOR boost to the stature of the program. Firing Joe after this year would have instantly destroyed that.

Tbonewannabe
12-02-2019, 04:06 PM
The biggest problem being in the SEC West, you have to have a coach who lives and breaths football but is also adaptable. Coach O brings in Joe Brady to revamp their offense. Saban has changed offenses and now runs a damn spread passing game. You can't just beat a square peg into a round hole and be successful. JoNoMo has to understand that if you have an Oline that is built to roadgrade, that you don't have them in their stance for 30 seconds at a time doing some dumbass look at me crap. It doesn't even work because the defense now is just changing which makes the play almost late or gets us a delay of game. There is almost zero positive impact to Joe's bullshit. He needs to adapt or next year will thankfully be his last (unless Cohen is a total moron).

Tbonewannabe
12-02-2019, 04:09 PM
We still have one of the three hardest jobs in the SEC. It's harder to get people here than you think. Jackie had a history with the NCAA. Nobody else would have hired Croom. Mullen was the coup. JWS was instrumental in that hire I have heard. Mullen leaving on his own after being successful was MAJOR boost to the stature of the program. Firing Joe after this year would have instantly destroyed that.

Only if you 17 up the next hire as bad as hiring Moorhead in the first place. There was zero chance we went and hired a career RB coach just because he is black. We at a minimum would have hired someone that deserved a chance to be a head coach. We still have the talent, that is the only thing JoNoMo hasn't destroyed in our program. We might have players that just don't go to workouts or study hall or just leave or not show up to meetings but they are at least naturally physically talented. A good coach could at least get us to a bowl game next year.

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2019, 04:16 PM
Only if you 17 up the next hire as bad as hiring Moorhead in the first place. There was zero chance we went and hired a career RB coach just because he is black. We at a minimum would have hired someone that deserved a chance to be a head coach. We still have the talent, that is the only thing JoNoMo hasn't destroyed in our program. We might have players that just don't go to workouts or study hall or just leave or not show up to meetings but they are at least naturally physically talented. A good coach could at least get us to a bowl game next year.

That's not what I'm talking about. Even if we had managed to make a great hire the people who matter would remember the extremely short leash. Unless you are a blueblood you don't want that rep, and even with them it will catch up with you if you do it too much. There are some examples out there now among the bluebloods.

timotheus
12-02-2019, 04:16 PM
Yes, a good coach who can adapt sure could.......

Bdawg
12-02-2019, 04:26 PM

You saying we have players that are doing this right now under his watch?

Todd4State
12-02-2019, 04:53 PM

You're 100% wrong. Again. We had a coach lined up already. I don't care what Genespage and MSU told you. We've never had trouble hiring a coach since the 1980's.

Vanderbilt is harder. Ole Miss is harder because the coach has to deal with their Network and all of their Confederate imagery. I'd bet most coaches would pick us over Arkansas, Kentucky, South Carolina, and Mizzou right now too.

Todd4State
12-02-2019, 04:56 PM
The biggest problem being in the SEC West, you have to have a coach who lives and breaths football but is also adaptable. Coach O brings in Joe Brady to revamp their offense. Saban has changed offenses and now runs a damn spread passing game. You can't just beat a square peg into a round hole and be successful. JoNoMo has to understand that if you have an Oline that is built to roadgrade, that you don't have them in their stance for 30 seconds at a time doing some dumbass look at me crap. It doesn't even work because the defense now is just changing which makes the play almost late or gets us a delay of game. There is almost zero positive impact to Joe's bullshit. He needs to adapt or next year will thankfully be his last (unless Cohen is a total moron).

I think you're right that the biggest problem that MSU has had whether it be Joe, Dan, Croom, or even Sherrill we've never had a coach that really adapts very well if we're all honest. If we can ever find that we can actually maximize the talent that we do have. We've had too many "This is my system and that's what we're going to do no matter what!" coaches.

Tbonewannabe
12-02-2019, 05:15 PM
You saying we have players that are doing this right now under his watch?

That is the rumor. I have heard it from a few different places but I personally don't know 100% for sure hence the "we might". I should have put the Rumor is we might.

Bdawg
12-02-2019, 05:33 PM
That is the rumor. I have heard it from a few different places but I personally don't know 100% for sure hence the "we might". I should have put the Rumor is we might.

That's more than a fireable offense, if true, and would explain a lot of the effort and discipline issues i saw all year. No respect for coach!!!

TheLostDawg
12-02-2019, 05:46 PM
Shotgun: “We need to stop comparing ourselves to Ole Miss!”

Also Shotgun: “Let’s compare ourselves to Ole Miss.”.

Haha sorry shotgun but I was thinking the same thing

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2019, 07:18 PM
You're 100% wrong. Again. We had a coach lined up already. I don't care what Genespage and MSU told you. We've never had trouble hiring a coach since the 1980's.

Vanderbilt is harder. Ole Miss is harder because the coach has to deal with their Network and all of their Confederate imagery. I'd bet most coaches would pick us over Arkansas, Kentucky, South Carolina, and Mizzou right now too.

I don't think we had one lined up. Nothing about those rumors panned out at all. We MAY have done some under the radar conversations, but that is not a done deal by any means. My information that did turn out like I said did not come from the internet or from MSU.