PDA

View Full Version : Did OM fire Luke without a successor in place?

confucius say
12-02-2019, 11:54 AM
That seems weird to me this day in age. Unless you know there are people with whom you would be happy ready to take your job, I am surprised they make a change.

Cowbell
12-02-2019, 11:56 AM
That seems weird to me this day in age. Unless you know there are people with whom you would be happy ready to take your job, I am surprised they make a change.

Why does this surprise you? This is exactly the kind of moves that has got them in trouble in the past.

Jack Lambert
12-02-2019, 12:01 PM
I think they have a fall back plan with the two Coordinators.

TrapGame
12-02-2019, 12:02 PM
McIntyre. Safe hire if they can't get Norvell.

confucius say
12-02-2019, 12:03 PM
Why does this surprise you? This is exactly the kind of moves that has got them in trouble in the past.

Guess I figured they would have learned from cutcliffe. Like we apparently did with Stans because we already had Howland lined up when we fired ray.

Plumlee is cited in Suss?s article as saying carter told him in 1.5 weeks he hopes to have a new coach, but it could be longer. Ouch, seeing as though signing day is 16 days away

msstate7
12-02-2019, 12:06 PM
McIntyre. Safe hire if they can't get Norvell.

Probably have a couple guys ahead of him. Conf USA championship coaches might both be ahead of him

Jack Lambert
12-02-2019, 12:09 PM
Probably have a couple guys ahead of him. Conf USA championship coaches might both be ahead of him

The head coach at USM is an Ole Miss Alumni. They were close to winning Conf USA. To be honest I think Hiring Freeze would make a lot of the sour people happy including the players.

Commercecomet24
12-02-2019, 12:11 PM
I'm probably dead wrong and just a hunch I've had but I think they give Rich Rod the job. They love Plumlee and want to showcase him and those rebs love them some flashy offense. Who knows though, they might have Urban lined up lol

TrapGame
12-02-2019, 12:11 PM
The head coach at USM is an Ole Miss Alumni. They were close to winning Conf USA. To be honest I think Hiring Freeze would make a lot of the sour people happy including the players.

I can see Hopson jumping from southern miss to northern miss. Not a splash hire but safe.

TrapGame
12-02-2019, 12:13 PM
I'm probably dead wrong and just a hunch I've had but I think they give Rich Rod the job. They love Plumlee and want to showcase him and those rebs love them some flashy offense. Who knows though, they might have Urban lined up lol

If they hire Napier or Norvell I might get concerned but if they move McIntyre or RR to the driver's seat I'm not worried at all.

confucius say
12-02-2019, 12:14 PM

Their fans would prob be okay with kiffen, but the admin might want to go a more conservative route after they had to fire freeze for hookers and Luke because of on field disciplinary issues that embarrassed the program.

Their fans would not like bill clark. Too blue collar. Not a recruiter, not flashy.

Commercecomet24
12-02-2019, 12:15 PM
If they hire Napier or Norvell I might get concerned but if they move McIntyre or RR to the driver's seat I'm not worried at all.

Same here. I'm trying to look on the brightside and not think about them getting Norvell(I don't think Napiers a fit for them,but who knows ). Rich Rod will be about like joe, he'll beat the bad teams but never really compete against the big boys.

StarkVegasSteve
12-02-2019, 12:17 PM
I feel like Rich Rod is going to be the hire. As Commerce stated they want to showcase Plumlee's ability. Corral is probably already gone and if they bring in a coach that throws the ball then they're really up a creek because Plumlee can not throw.

msstate7
12-02-2019, 12:18 PM
Their fans would prob be okay with kiffen, but the admin might want to go a more conservative route after they had to fire freeze for hookers and Luke because of on field disciplinary issues that embarrassed the program.

Their fans would not like bill clark. Too blue collar. Not a recruiter, not flashy.

I think so too, but if they miss, I could see it

hacker
12-02-2019, 12:19 PM

One of my OM friends has this wish list:

1) Freeze
2) Clark

Jack Lambert
12-02-2019, 12:19 PM
I feel like Rich Rod is going to be the hire. As Commerce stated they want to showcase Plumlee's ability. Corral is probably already gone and if they bring in a coach that throws the ball then they're really up a creek because Plumlee can not throw.

Washington State would fit Corral perfectly.

Jack Lambert
12-02-2019, 12:21 PM
Same here. I'm trying to look on the brightside and not think about them getting Norvell(I don't think Napiers a fit for them,but who knows ). Rich Rod will be about like joe, he'll beat the bad teams but never really compete against the big boys.

Ole Miss pride might keep them from hiring Norvell. Memphis has replace LSU for ole miss as rivalry.

trojandawg
12-02-2019, 12:26 PM
not all schools do that. i feel like we moved way too fast after Dan. You don't want to pull a tennesse, but you don't have to announce a hire right after the other coach is canned.

RiverCityDawg
12-02-2019, 12:33 PM
Several in this thread mentioning Rich Rod? Do some ole miss fans really want that? I thought they were compliant about the QB carousel and not using the receivers, but maybe I'm wrong?

What about Rich Rod's Arizona baggage with the sexual harassment and all that? That stuff gets magnified when you move to the head chair and given what happened with Freeze it doesn't seem like they would want to stay as far away from scandal as possible.

I would think they would want a completely fresh start.

TStationDawg
12-02-2019, 12:34 PM
Guys- have we learned NOTHING?! This is ALL about getting the next Manning to Oxford. Plain and simple. Watch and see.

Really Clark?
12-02-2019, 12:35 PM
McIntyre has been named interim HC

Commercecomet24
12-02-2019, 12:36 PM

Good maybe, they'll keep him and rich rod.

Jack Lambert
12-02-2019, 12:45 PM

He will be their coach next season then. He might still be the interim but he will be it.

TrapGame
12-02-2019, 12:53 PM

I've heard a lot of boosters really like him. They may have their own civil war between the boosters.

gtowndawg
12-02-2019, 12:54 PM

I bet they are trying to calm the players down for the time being. If this is their grand plan (making him the new head coach) it's about as good a situation as you can ask for IMO.

basedog
12-02-2019, 12:54 PM

Yes I totally agree! Napier just doesn't have the " Polo Look", Rich would be = Joe.

It's funny folks saying "oh this is the year to get a good coach", makes me laugh. There will always be good coaches available, it's just the fact it has to be a good fit. Ain't never gonna be a shortage for any coach at any sport, never has never will. You never know who will be available from year to year.

Quaoarsking
12-02-2019, 01:17 PM
Some people may disagree, but I think MacIntyre's scandal is worse than Rich Rod's.

https://www.si.com/college/2017/08/10/mike-macintyre-colorado-joe-tumpkin-domestic-abuse

vv83
12-02-2019, 01:18 PM
I bet they are trying to calm the players down for the time being. If this is their grand plan (making him the new head coach) it's about as good a situation as you can ask for IMO.

Would be great for us (since apparently the only thing Cohen cares about is beating Ole Miss). Dude was awful at Colorado. Last place in his division every single year except for 1 fluke where he somehow won 10 games

QuadrupleOption
12-02-2019, 02:18 PM
Some people may disagree, but I think MacIntyre's scandal is worse than Rich Rod's.

https://www.si.com/college/2017/08/10/mike-macintyre-colorado-joe-tumpkin-domestic-abuse

I think the pearl clutching over MacIntyre not immediately throwing one of his employees under the bus is stupid and the overreactions of everyone in that article is pathetic. It's sad that the default setting for this is supposed to be "fire the guy immediately" after an accusation is made because reasons. It's like having standards of evidence no longer apply.

Later in the article the administration there BRAGS about running people off from the University for far lesser offenses, like that's something to be proud of. No wonder higher education in this country is going to shit.

Having said that, if MacIntyre ends up being the coach at UM, even interim, I will refer to him as a woman-beating POS for the entirety of his tenure.

trojandawg
12-02-2019, 02:26 PM
Guys- have we learned NOTHING?! This is ALL about getting the next Manning to Oxford. Plain and simple. Watch and see.

so it's Cutcliff 2.0

Jack Lambert
12-02-2019, 02:35 PM

He also must be a ***** if he is letting another coach beat up his girl friend.

"[If Mike MacIntyre had been another Colorado employee instead of the school's award-winning head football coach, it’s safe to say he’d be suspended, if not out of a job entirely, for failing to report that one of his assistant coaches had been beating up his girlfriend."]

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2019, 02:37 PM
Their fans want either Napier or Norvell. With the naming of the interim we know who the back up plan is and that RR will most likely leave.

Dawgbite
12-02-2019, 02:40 PM
Who is Grandbaby Mannings high school coach? That's who I'm putting my money on.

Todd4State
12-02-2019, 03:07 PM
MacIntyre makes more longer term sense to me than Rich Rod because of the Manning angle. They’ll trade a Plumlee for a Manning any and everyday if it comes down to that. If they named Rich Rod the head coach they would have to fire him to get Manning’s son and install a completely different offense. This gives them the flexibility to hire an OC.

yjnkdawg
12-02-2019, 03:27 PM
I had thought that Rich Rod would be Luke's successor when he would eventually be fired, but there were and are some offensive players who haven't been happy with his offense because they didn't come to OM to play in that type of offense, but they came to play in the Longo type offense. You can forget attracting any highly rated WR's in a RR type of offense, unless you ...hmmm you know what I mean. So MacIntyre makes more sense. It will be interesting how the Rich Rod situation plays out.

Anybody can forget OM bringing Freeze back, because they would not have the SEC office's blessings on that hire, or their endorsement and also the NCAA would set up shop in Oxford and it should be the real deal another go round with no outside heppin.

Lord McBuckethead
12-02-2019, 03:31 PM

Do you need an Interim if all you are doing is sitting on your ass watching other people play bowl games?

basedog
12-02-2019, 03:57 PM
Do you need an Interim if all you are doing is sitting on your ass watching other people play bowl games?

Yes, recruiting has to continue, plus other football stuff.

Really Clark?
12-02-2019, 04:02 PM

Absolutely. Most schools do. USF named an interim after firing Strong and they are not going to a bowl game.

yjnkdawg
12-02-2019, 04:30 PM

They probably need one, because it's such a cluster fest up there right now. Now there are several reasons that they could lose players to the transfer portal. This telling potential recruits ( some of their current players) only what the recruits (now players) wanted to hear could come back and bite OM in the butt.

timotheus
12-02-2019, 04:46 PM
their incoming commits are starting to decommit so no telling what they do.