PDA

View Full Version : The Essence of My Problem With JoMo

ShotgunDawg
12-02-2019, 11:12 AM
Was just listening the radio and they were talking about the deception Malzahn used with his special teams to create the penalty that ended the Iron Bowl.

As they were talking about this, I couldn't help but wonder if JoMo is intellectually smart enough to think of this and organized enough to pull this off?

See these are the types of plays that require no talent, no recruiting, & only attention to detail, creativity, & intelligence.

At the end of the day, I get that he went 6-6, won the Egg Bowl, & had Tutor Gate. I get all that. However, I just don't have any faith that Joe would be capable of the vision, design, & successful implementation to execute this type of play and I believe MSU needs these types of plays to take the next step.

Coursesuper
12-02-2019, 11:17 AM
Its about mindset, the mindset is win period, whatever it takes.

Commercecomet24
12-02-2019, 11:18 AM
Heck we have enough problems lining up and getting a play called and run on offense, there's no way in heck joe could pull something like this off.

TrapGame
12-02-2019, 11:19 AM
Heck we have enough problems lining up and getting a play called and run on offense, there's no way in heck joe could pull something like this off.

This.^^^^

ShotgunDawg
12-02-2019, 11:20 AM
Its about mindset, the mindset is win period, whatever it takes.

Course, yes. It's about all those things but it's also about raw intelligence and organizational skills.

Mjoelner34
12-02-2019, 11:21 AM
We have to run 'check with me' when it's 1st and goal from the 1 foot line. That should tell you all you need to know.

ShotgunDawg
12-02-2019, 11:25 AM

Exactly and that's where my lack of faith is based.

I like the man and I get that it's tough to fire an 8-5 & 6-6 coach. I get that. But this is a real issue.

If we aren't organized to find hidden yards in the game that don't require 5* recruits, then we have to have a coach that is capable of doing that.

lefty96
12-02-2019, 11:27 AM
If we put a punter in a WR spot, it wouldn't cause any confusion for the other team. . . they would just assume we were the ones confused, again.

Mjoelner34
12-02-2019, 11:28 AM
If we put a punter in a WR spot, it wouldn't cause any confusion for the other team. . . they would just assume we were the ones confused, again.

Rep given!

ShotgunDawg
12-02-2019, 11:30 AM

True. Great point

Commercecomet24
12-02-2019, 11:31 AM

Awesome! And exactly right! Rep Given!

Commercecomet24
12-02-2019, 11:34 AM
Exactly and that's where my lack of faith is based.

I like the man and I get that it's tough to fire an 8-5 & 6-6 coach. I get that. But this is a real issue.

If we aren't organized to find hidden yards in the game that don't require 5* recruits, then we have to have a coach that is capable of doing that.

Exactly! We have 2 years of evidence. Joe isn't outcoaching anyone. We will win games where we have more talent but if it comes down to outcoaching someone it ain't happening. Herein lies the mediocrity.

RiverCityDawg
12-02-2019, 11:38 AM
Joe might have the intelligence to come up with something like that on paper, but he hasn't shown the organizational or management skills required to get a group of people on the same page to the extent required to execute something like that. Great leaders have the ability to push people forward in a way that drives success and he so far has not shown he has that gene or at least to the level required to be a head coach in the SEC.

drunkernhelldawg
12-02-2019, 11:53 AM

Who's the quarterback?

TrapGame
12-02-2019, 11:56 AM
Exactly! We have 2 years of evidence. Joe isn't outcoaching anyone. We will win games where we have more talent but if it comes down to outcoaching someone it ain't happening. Herein lies the mediocrity.

Yep. Joe Moorhead is not an Xs and Os coach. He's just not.

BrunswickDawg
12-02-2019, 11:56 AM

Outside of Jackie, I don't know that we've had a coach who could "outcoach" the opponents in modern MSU history. And when I say outcoached, I mean that we did what it took to beat a team with definite talent/skill advantages. That was something Jackie had a knack for. For all the good Dan did, I think the only game I can recall where he really outcoached the opponent might have been 2010 at UF with his "Stansbury stall" approach to the second half. That's why Mullen never seemed to pull any major upsets either. The difference between Mullen and Joe is that Mullen also rarely got outcoached. Joe had flat out been outcoached in multiple games.

msstate7
12-02-2019, 12:00 PM
Outside of Jackie, I don't know that we've had a coach who could "outcoach" the opponents in modern MSU history. And when I say outcoached, I mean that we did what it took to beat a team with definite talent/skill advantages. That was something Jackie had a knack for. For all the good Dan did, I think the only game I can recall where he really outcoached the opponent might have been 2010 at UF with his "Stansbury stall" approach to the second half. That's why Mullen never seemed to pull any major upsets either. The difference between Mullen and Joe is that Mullen also rarely got outcoached. Joe had flat out been outcoached in multiple games.

2017 offensive game plan vs LSU was great. He out coached aranda that night for sure

BrunswickDawg
12-02-2019, 12:03 PM
2017 offensive game plan vs LSU was great. He out coached aranda that night for sure

I'll give you that one. Although, I think you can argue that with LSU's injuries we had a better team on the field. But, that was a very good game plan as well.

ShotgunDawg
12-02-2019, 12:14 PM
Yep. Joe Moorhead is not an Xs and Os coach. He's just not.

something is certainly off because he brands himself as an Xs & Os guy but I just haven't seen it.

ShotgunDawg
12-02-2019, 12:15 PM
This is the type of coach I want. I don't think Joe is capable of this

msstate7
12-02-2019, 12:16 PM
something is certainly off because he brands himself as an Xs & Os guy but I just haven't seen it.

I brand myself as a good poster, but I haven't seen that either

ShotgunDawg
12-02-2019, 12:16 PM
I brand myself as a good poster, but I haven't seen that either

Same here

TrapGame
12-02-2019, 12:21 PM

I just don't see any in-game adjustment from Joe. Plenty from Shoop.

Commercecomet24
12-02-2019, 12:21 PM

Thats a good take on it. When Dan was here I rarely went into a game thinking we didn't have a shot to at least compete(he did lay some stinkers once in awhile), but with joe I have no confidence when we play teams having a pulse. Dan at least made us feel like we could compete, joe not so much.

I love Jackie to death, and he could get you an upset and then get you a loss that was headscratching. Oddest thing i've ever seen. Jackie is still The Kang. He taught us we could win and we didn't have to take crap from anyone and i'll be forever grateful to the man for that. I still talk to Miss Peggy on occasion. Wonderful, wonderful lady who loves MSU!

Commercecomet24
12-02-2019, 12:22 PM
I just don't see any in-game adjustment from Joe. Plenty from Shoop.

Yep zero adjustments on offense, zero.

trojandawg
12-02-2019, 12:25 PM
Moorhead isn't as much of as offensive genius as he claims to be and others prop him up to be. He knows his plays. his adaptability and creative is on the extreme low end. That's why i prefer Napier. His offense has a lot more deception and creativity, but he will probably be somewhere else next year.

HoopsDawg
12-02-2019, 12:40 PM
You might be an English professor at Harvard but that doesn't mean you can write a great book.

Moorhead can talk about concepts of RPO but he can't run an offense. He's too caught up in what's given him notoriety to reinvent our offense.

TStationDawg
12-02-2019, 12:42 PM
I can't believe this point isn't raised more. Jo got OUTCOACHED by FREAKING JEREMY PRUITT!!!!! JEREMY FREAKING PRUITT!!!! THE GUY WHO DOESN'T KNOW WHAT ASPARAGUS IS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!! But alas, I'll go outside now and kick rocks and pound some more sand. Good thing I've got steel toed boots and good gloves!

Commercecomet24
12-02-2019, 01:29 PM
I can't believe this point isn't raised more. Jo got OUTCOACHED by FREAKING JEREMY PRUITT!!!!! JEREMY FREAKING PRUITT!!!! THE GUY WHO DOESN'T KNOW WHAT ASPARAGUS IS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!! But alas, I'll go outside now and kick rocks and pound some more sand. Good thing I've got steel toed boots and good gloves!

Rep Given!

TrapGame
12-02-2019, 01:51 PM

This shows you the importance of having a culture of toughness in place. We lost ours and they found theirs.

Percho
12-02-2019, 04:58 PM
It is very, very hard to see, draw up a play, learn that play, and execute that play to perfection, all in 45 sec.

That is what JM tries to do.

Dawgface
12-02-2019, 05:32 PM
At least JoMo took the unsportsmanlike penalty on the extra point and not on the kickoff as the official first announced. Seems obvious but you never know......